main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    LOL!! Where on earth did you get the idea that I love everything just because it has the Star Wars label on it? In the very post you're replying to, I was implying how boring I thought TBOBF was. As it stands, for me? Disney is batting about .500. Love Rogue One, initially liked TFA before they tanked the rest of the ST, and Mandalorian is solidly enjoyable. Obi-Wan is great so far. It might become one of my faves of the Disney era.

The rest? I never need to look at or think about again. So go sell that theory somewhere else.

And I've already gone into length why I don't think canon has been broken yet. So you can go scroll back if you really care to know, but I think you just want to complain. Regarding any iffy canon questions with Obi-Wan and Vader? I'm going to wait for the series to end before passing judgment on it. *tips hat* Good day.

2Cleva, Flyer75, KyleKartan and 6 others like this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll never quite understand connecting the frontier dirt town aesthetic so heavily with the OT. Once Luke left Tatooine behind the whole feel of the OT was so much more than raggy clothed outer rim people just trying to eek out a living.

KyleKartan, TadoFett and Count Yubnub like this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's not that--I'm watching it on a laptop monitor.

This is all Greek to me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah, but that would only last one episode at most. That story's already been told anyway.

KyleKartan and Yanksfan like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well really the Vader and Obi Wan story had been told. This show is just a middle story. I don't see why you couldnt do a middle story with Maul.

DML3 likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly the only continuity error so far that bugs me is the grand inquisitor it seems pointless at the moment. With the writing saying the Grand Inquistor issue will be solved I am confident they will give a reason.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Reva was cut off by Vader before she could finish what she was saying about the Grand Inquisitor. No one in the episode explicitly says he's dead either.

I think they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. Kill off the character for the drama without actually killing off the character. Those who are watching the show and know nothing about Rebels and the GI's appearances in there won't know any different. Then if he shows up again later in the season it will be a surprise for those people as well.

Although Reva is trying to play it off that Obi-Wan stabbed him, the GI being alive would kind of ruin that deception. Unless she's hoping she can kill/capture Obi-Wan before the GI can tell the truth.

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Right...

Yes, there is an arc, and it is blindingly obvious, even though we are only half-way through. It's just weird to claim otherwise. You not liking something doesn't make the story disappear. It's still there.

Your comments are getting more and more irrational, and you ignore all facts given to you. You make wildly ignorant claims about the people who make the show (Chow, and her involvement in The Mandalorian, amongst others), while also showing a lack of knowledge about who is working on the other shows that are getting released (mentioning "Fiege", who, even if you meant Kevin Feige, isn't in any way connected to any of the Star Wars shows).

And then you pretend that your opinion somehow defines what is or isn't Star Wars. Guess what? It doesn't. You are just one member of a vast fandom, which is split into a ton of different views on what is "good" and what isn't. No one gets to tell others that they are "out of touch" with Star Wars, just because they have a different opinion. Nor do you have any right to bash others, just because they like something you don't, as you did with your ridiculous "unlike you I’m not one that agrees with everything presented to me" comment.

All you are doing here, is showing ignorance while being condescending to others.
    Why don't you just say "I don't like the show, here are the reasons why...", heck, just say "I don't like the show", that's perfectly fine. Nobody has to like it. It hasn't really hooked me yet either. It's when you make statements that are provably incorrect, or you insult other fans by suggesting that they just accept everything because they dare to like something you don't, or you insult those who made the show by again suggesting that they are out of touch with Star Wars because they don't conform to your vision of it, that it is just getting weird.

Jcuk, KyleKartan, Ithorians and 4 others like this.
  9. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    The GI's point so far seems to be that he was merely a stepping stone for Reva and her character arc. Kinda like Snoke was for Kylo Ren I think. But yeah the writer/producer told Vanity Fair that they would never break canon when asked about his fate so I'm sure they have something up their sleeve.

GI in a bacta tank in a post credits stinger? J/k :)

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    GI flashback when?

11. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I really wish people wouldn't refer to the GI's fake-out death as a continuity error. Based on the fact that the writers said they won't violate continuity and the fact that he is in Rebels, we know he isn't dead. Spoilers online, from the source who has gotten most of the first three episodes correct, are that we'll get an answer to this whole issue by the end of the series. I won't go into that here, but it won't be left as-is.

12. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Fear leads to the Darkside. Obi-Wan is supposed to be one of the last 'greats' of the Jedi. To be afraid would be the antithesis of being a Jedi.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    But then they'd need to find something else to b!tch about, and such a thing takes effort

14. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Obi-Wan was never pretending to be OK. As far as his Jedi abilities are concerned he was OK. If anything, he should have been shown spending his time in exile sharpening his connections to the Force. He would have to have done so to be alert to anything that might threaten Luke. Having Obi-Wan be even more powerful than he was in the PT, would not have interfered with his emotional state or having an emotional arc. To me, to have him not use his powers or stay in Force awareness so as to add 'drama' to his arc is simply lazy writing. There were many ways to have given him an arc. This was the most boringly predictable.

If your theory holds any water, why isn't Vader weak and unsure? He lost big time to Obi-Wan and ended up in a mutilated and barely alive body. He should have been traumatized to his core. So why isn't he showing weakness?

15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Vader is powered by anger and hatred.

16. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I also thought he was cutting himself off from the Force to avoid detection? Or at least that was part of it?

17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Because he has nothing left to lose.

TadoFett likes this.
  18. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    They have to do something instead of continuously s------g on Obi--Wan's character to make others look more powerful. He's been called "great" throughout the series. When have we seen him do anything great other than defeat Anakin? They made him not really defeat Maul, oblivious to Anakin's failures, captured on Geonosis, made him get injured then knocked out by Dooku, got him in yet another ridiculous romance in the Clone Wars (how many times were they going to do this? The books had him learn Anakin's lesson twice before Satine and then they do again? Awright already, we get it. We get it) now be so weak that he can't even protect himself much less Luke? When is he going to be "great"? I've been waiting decades for this.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There are many ways to deal with trauma. Obi-Wan blames himself and has a lot of self doubt which has led to him cutting himself off from the Force over the ten years and letting his skills deteriorate as a result. Vader blames everyone else which has fueled his anger and hatred and made him more powerful in the dark side.

Othini, TCF-1138 , KyleKartan and 6 others like this.
  20. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Yes there are many ways to deal with trauma, so why didn't they make Anakin weak and Obi-Wan stronger?

For Vader to have issues would have been interesting. He's supposed to be powerful and scary and he has a lot of people around him just waiting to take him down and take his place at the emperor's side. Having the bad guy have to deal with issues to keep his place would have been interesting and different. Having the good guy be weak and have to rebound is trite and predictable and boring.

Like I said, lazy writing.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What you’re describing is a show about Darth Vader which I agree would be a lot of fun. But this is a show about Obi-Wan and you don’t want you’re main character to be in a stronger place than the main antagonist at the beginning of the story because then there’s no drama. The main character always no matter who they are has to struggle and overcome obstacles. It’s kind of the basis of storytelling.

22. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Ever see the movie Dr. Sleep? The good guys come out on top on nearly every engagement with the bad guys. The movie is still excellent and doesn't lack for drama.

The Light side of the Force is supposed to be more powerful than the Dark. Why don't we ever see it kick Dark side's ass from the get go?

Having Vader have issues with weakness in the same story of Obi-Wan having weakness would have put them on equal footing and made all the drama necessary. Instead, we know the bad guys are more powerful while the good guys just bumble along, surviving out of sheer luck, not skill.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes I have seen it and while it’s been a while I distinctly remember Ewan’s character having to deal with the trauma of his past, his alcoholism and people trying to kill him and take his power. These are all obstacles he has to overcome in order to live a happy normal life.

No it isn’t. They are equal sides of the Force.

Because again the light side users are usually the protagonists of the story. The Acolyte might show us what you’re hoping for though.

KyleKartan likes this.
  24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Vader and Kenobi are having two completely different contexts for their life post Mustafar. Vader has embraced anger, selfishness and hatred. He has been honing his skills to exact revenge on everyone he feels is responsible for the losses he had in his life. How do we know this? Because if Vader went into a depressed state where he is weak and doesn't even want to pick up his saber, the Inquisitors would have betrayed him long ago. They are not loyal to him, they simply feel they can't match his power... power being the key word here. Vader´s power keeps him on top of the food chain, keeps him ruling an Empire that allows him to have his vengeance... power is his greatest motivation at this point.

Obi Wan, on the other hand, has next to nothing. The Jedi Order is gone; he has no allies in his mind, he is on the other side of said Empire. The worst thing is, his perceived failures as a master led to the demise of all he loved and the creation of this terrible machine of oppression that the Empire is. The only thing he has is the hope that eventually, Luke and Leia will fix his mistakes. Training now only open the chance for him to be found, for him to be once again responsible of the death of the ones he cares about and the end of his hopes of redeeming himself. He feels all the training he did in his life lead to failure, so he sees no point in it anymore.

Within that context, it makes every sense in the world to me that this once great Jedi master, who stopped training and meditating (calling Qui Gon in desperation is not meditating) and has been living his last ten years as a butcher and how knows what else, wouldn't be a match for someone like Vader in lightsaber combat. Obviously, you may not agree... but that doesn't immediately equate to lazy writing.

25. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Here is another plot hole and why this show doesn’t fit canon. Never mind the grand inquisitor getting killed when kanan kills him later

darth maul fought obi wan on tatooine in rebels which is considered canon. Obi wan on this show is weak, out of touch with the force, can barley yield a lightsaber. Yet on rebels he was still the strong, agile force master that he was in clone wars and in the prequels.

my issue is did the writers and director not watch Star Wars rebels? Why are they taking this show places where it doesn’t belong?

Oswin Oswald likes this.