main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi Character Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 23, 2022.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    wish ST Luke was more like Kenobi from the show.
    Have massive questioning of faith but still does the right thing and was still on a mission even before rescue Leia thing happened.

wobbits and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Kenobi-Obi-Wan, ANH-Obi-Wan and TLJ-Luke have lots of complentary parallels I think. You have to look a bit hard for sure.

There are still three episodes left so there may end up being more or less similarity.

But fundamentally, they both confront their "failing" and their reluctance.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    less similarity.
    I'm pretty sure its been said that by end Kenobi's faith is stronger again.

but that's not comparable to Luke who went to Ach-To to die, who no mission and no interest to do anything. Kenobi watching Luke for 10 years, wants to train the boy and still has force training.

While Kenobi did not physically use force for 10 years, he did not shut himself from force completly. Avoiding force likely has to do with not wanting to attract any attention.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  4. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    I think you're probably right on less similarity between the two eventually.

I guess Kenobi-Obi-Wan works it out for himself, whereas TLJ-Luke needs Yoda to find his mojo again.

Anyway. Yeah, Luke lacks his mission prior to/during TFA and TLJ.

Which is probably more similar to ESB-Yoda. I mean, what was Yoda planning to do there?! (I'm joking of course :) )

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Probably been mentioned elsewhere but this series will obviously add weight as to why Leia and Han name their son Ben

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    And possibly some extra weight to the line "Obi-Wan once thought as you do."

There's already a bit more behind the words "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

Skillzwalker likes this.
  7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but also makes you wonder why didn't she call him Bail?

logical out-universe reason is that mass knows Ben Kenobi more than Bail. It sells better if named after known character.

8. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Maybe this series will also explain not just his ability to speak through the Force but why Obi-Wan appears as a chilly Force Ghost on Hoth, for the first time out of nowhere.

(Of course, I don't really mind if we don't get explanation. Cos it's magical sci-fi storytelling and all that important stuff which is fun and doesn't need explaining. So there, me).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I’d say that the emotional intent is roughly the same, but in very different measurements, and that narratively the two stories are very different. Despair is a major factor in both, but there’s a stubborn righteousness and a much larger compassionate elements to the heartache of Obi-Wan in the show, shaped partially by him having a cause and still being more idealistic than cynical.

I’m still expecting at least a full voice cameo by Liam Nelson as Qui-Gon to help explain this a little more.

DannyD likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    A Force Zoom meeting with Qui-Gon and Yoda.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This series also completely changes the experience of watching TPM, now that we know eopies are flesh-eating monsters. Jar Jar was in much greater danger than we realized.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "The fart" is finally justified. Look at that raw, bloody diet.

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    They're doing some weird things with the Star Wars fauna in the Disney+ shows. Apparently, banthas and eopies love meat, despite their distinctly herbivorous characteristics. I'll chalk it up to learned omnivorous behavior - probably caused by humanoids feeding them animal substances (this type of thing happens IRL as well) - but I still think it's weird.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Let's just say Luke's arc in TLJ certainly prepared me for Obi-Wan's portrayal in the series and like with Luke it's sad seeing him being depressed but I know he'll get better over the course of the series. I noticed a lot of parallels not only with Luke in TLJ but also with Rey. Especially in the Tatooine scenes. The way he buried the lightsabers in the sand immediately made me think of the last scene in TROS or the scenes of his lonely daily life.

Mostly Handless and DannyD like this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A parallel with Rey is being unable to reach Qui-Gon.

"Be with me, be with me... they're not with me"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep been mentioned a few times as well as the fact that Leia gets more excited when told Ben Kenobi is on the Death Star than her original message to Obi Wan.sure she knows that both Obi Wan and Ben are the same person. But Ben always referenced himself as Ben and so did his Allies. The only people who call Obi Wan his actual name are the villains. Or at least morally dubious characters.

18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I enjoyed Ewan leaning into Alec Guinness' body language in Part V, particularly stroking his beard while his arms were folded while listening to Bail's transmission.

[​IMG]

19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    So how many robot limbs does Obi-wan slice off in their final duel?

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think he's going to dismantle Vader. First, the controls on his belt. Then one hand. Then a slash on the control panel hitting the mask on the way up. Finally the other hand. Vader not only needs to be bested, he needs a reason to retreat, otherwise there's no reason he just wouldn't keep going.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I actually don’t think they’ll fight again

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    They do live on a desert world with little plant life. Being omnivorous would be a useful survival technique.

Course, plenty more irl creatures are omnivorous than people realize. Even cows and sheep have been known to eat meat from time to time. In particular, I remember a video of a cow eating a pigeon right in front of some horrified children at a petting zoo.

23. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    You may be right as another duel between them will be difficult to accommodate in the next episode considering all the stuff that must be included in it (a new Tatooine plot orchestrated by Reva, some promised acting by Aunt Beru, the delivery of Leia to Bail, expected force connection with Qui-Gon, etc.). However, without another duel some of the Vader's words during their final confrontation will ring strange (“...I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.”. In their duel in the third episode of the series he was more like an arch master and Obi-Wan - a not-very promising beginner.). Also, defeating Vader in his armor will show Obi-Wan's (re-)growth in the Force, which was the whole purpose of this journey. I would say that the chance of another duel is more than 90%. How exactly this will be arranged is a mystery. One option is that
    Reva will blackmail Obi-Wan with Bail’s recording to face Vader again.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It would be odd if they didn't duel again, but I don't want it to feel forced, and they still have to address Revas fate too, I'm not sure if I'd like for her to die at this point.

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The finale needs a big moment, and another fight will be it.