main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But thats not a plot hole. thats just a development we have yet to see.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The show isn’t over so you don’t know in what state Kenobi ends the show. Obviously it won’t be in the current state of self-doubt he is in now. So why not wait and see how it ends? Rebels takes place several years after this.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    That Rebels episode is 7-8 years after this Series. Plenty of time for him to get back into shape.
    And the Grand Inquisitor isn't dead.

No one is immune to fear, not even Jedi.

Plus, I don't think Obi-Wan was afraid. But in shock.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    People who have put the Force on "airplane mode" and completely given up on their mission do not attempt to commune with Force ghosts and insist that Force sensitive kids be trained as Jedi.

5. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah I don't get the contradiction either. To add drama I guess. Anakin/Vader was supposed to become the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever anyway, so wasn't that enough? Why knock Obi-wan down a peg by making him "rusty" when it comes to the force? Plus, at the end of ROTS didn't Yoda give Obi-Wan homework to do while he was in exile? Training to commune with his old master if I remember correctly? It's been 10 years and he still hasn't made contact with Qui-Gon so what gives?

Still enjoying this series tho. Star Wars just isn't Star Wars without a few plot-holes :)

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My point wasn't that there were plot holes. In the very first episode, Obi Wan is still on task, wanting to train Luke. He's still in tune with the Force, attempting to contact Qui Gon.

Did Order 66 and Anakin turning destroy his world? Yes. Everybody already knew that was the case. But he's not remotely off script when we catch up with him in this series. He's a Jedi in hiding and limiting his usage of the Force so that he can live long enough to fulfill his final task, which is to train Luke.

7. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think Obi Wan is like a raw nerve at this point. I think he has indeed closed himself from the Force because through it, he gets to feel the world in a much wider scope. He's been feeling sadness and guilt for a long time, so the least he wants to do is to open up. He doesn't want to feed those feelings, and embrace what comes with them...

That's why he keeps calling for Qui Gon, for an answer to come for outside and tells him the way. But I think a Jedi in meditation looks for his/her own connection to the Force, seeking to find peace and a clearer state of mind with it, away from fear, anger and resentment. The moment Obi Wan dares to open up again, to let himself feel and care again, good things will (slowly) come to him. Its a brave move to make... and from what we've seen until this point, I think that could be the path revealing itself to him at this point.

8. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Wow. You’ve got some major issues. Whatever happened in this show you wouldn’t have liked it.

KyleKartan likes this.
  9. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    You do realise that we are only half way through the series don’t you? It’s called a character arc and we’re only half way around it. Maybe see the whole series before passing judgement.

10. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Not at all. I've been a Star Wars fan for decades. And Obi-Wan has always been called great. I see you couldn't answer my question as to what 'greatness' we have seen from him over the last decades.

Which just chaps me. You're right. We need to see Obi-Wan figure out his own answers and help himself. Him looking to someone else to help him and guide him, especially his own master who helped get him in this situation in the first place, makes him look weak. Oh, Obi-Wan wasn't strong enough, but Qui-Gon can help him! Then it's Qui-Gon who gets the credit for the solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2022
  11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    -Kenobi kills Maul in Rebels.
    -Always tell people Kenobi in Episode II story=SW James Bond and ironically Christopher Lee was the Man with the Golden Gun. And Bond gets captured in most movies.
    -Being injured and knocked out by Dooku....that's NOT an issue. Dooku is considered one of greatest swordsman.
    -Romance? The real Satine romance story happened pre-I.
    -People get called Great during times of war and such. Between III and IV no such thing but his greatness during Clone Wars does not go away, and that's why he's a Legend. Kenobi was also noted for his diplomatic skills too.

12. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Well up until this episode, Obi-Wan thinks Anakin is dead. So his failures as a master should be personal and not universal. Yes, he can be depressed about losing his world and the Republic, but that wasn't his fault, so he should be upset about the loss, but not take it personally. Remember, Jedi were trained NOT to form attachments, whether to people or establishments. Yoda never lost himself or his abilities to depression or aloneness.

Logically, Obi-Wan should have focused on rectifying mistakes made with Anakin and would go about making sure he wouldn't make the same ones with Luke and keep himself in tip top condition, mentally and physically, ready to take on that training at any moment. Not become what this series has him become.

Vader is consumed with his loss to Kenobi - hence his obsession on tracking him down - so he should be overcome with rage and fury and bitterness and as such make mistakes from his impulsiveness and overweening injured pride, making him lashing out to everyone, including the Inquisitors, who are constantly his frenemies, which would make a much better storyline for him, than lording it over a weak Obi-Wan.

Again. Didn't he kill him back in TPM?

Bond isn't a Jedi.

Knocking him in the head isn't the act of a great swordsman. Plus, per the canon novels, Obi-Wan is also a great swordsman. THE master of the 1st Form of lightsaber combat.

So did the romances with Cerasi and Siri. Enough already with the romances that all reflect the difference between Obi-Wan's reaction to romance and Anakin's.

Well, there has to be a reason he was called great. Instead, I see his character's abilities sacrificed in order to make someone else look superior. I'm still waiting.

True, but Jedi have been trained in coping skills to deal with it. As a master, Obi-Wan should be good at dispersing it.

Elle-Wan likes this.
  13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    does it matter when he kills Maul? Kenobi was 1st Jedi in thousands of years to best a Sith.

So what if Bond isn't a Jedi that's not point but that it follows Bond type story for Kenobi.

Kenobi might be good swordswman but he's NOT in Dooku, Windu, Yoda league. Not even in Anakin league just took advantage of blind arrogance to best him.

Kenobi was willing to leave the Jedi for Satine but in end shows duty. Believe been said that Kenobi knew about Anakin and Padme and said nothing due to his own past romances.

So someone famous around Galaxy for his War exploits isn't good enough to be called great in a story about wars? He's a war hero. You also forgot that him saving Palpatine in III at Battle of Coruscant just add to list of achivements too.

2Cleva likes this.
  14. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    But he didn't, did he? He only wounded the guy and he was sufficiently still alive to come back, yet again. So all the kudos Obi-Wan got in TPM was diminished.

Because Jedi have more skills than an MI6 agent.

No, go back and read ROTS. Windu calls him THE master of the 1st Form. He IS a master swordsman, not just "good". Anakin and Windu are masters of the same form, but before this series, Anakin never once could best Obi-Wan. SO disappointing. Again, a diminishment of Obi-Wan's abilities to make someone else look more powerful.

As he did in all his previous romances. Like I said, ENOUGH already with this plotline. How many times does this plotline have to be resurrected when we all know what he's going to choose?

Obi-Wan was knocked out for most of the rescue of Palpatine. Anakin got the credit for that.

15. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Because he's be hiding out and not using those abilities, while Vader has been.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Wounded? Don't think being cut in half and barely suriving fits wounded. And Maul surviving doesn't diminish anything.

why would I read ROTS when can watch movie?
    Kenobi always got bested by Dooku. Yoda said that Kenobi no match for Palps, and Windu beat Palps while Yoda drew with him.....so yeah not in same league. Also Kenobi trained Anakin so knows all of his tricks and habits. But a few more years and Kenobi would be no match for his apprentice who killed Dooku.

Kenobi was knocked out only at end of rescuing Palpatine. Anakin will get accolades for killing Dooku. Both it was both who inflitrated ship for rescue. History would say both rescued the Chancellor.

17. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    He would be using those abilities if he was a rebel operative during those years.

Because you find out more details like I posted?

So did Anakin. He got his arm chopped off. Obi-Wan at least kept his limbs.

Well apparently Yoda wasn't a match for Palps either, was he? Only one was Windu, and since we didn't see Obi-Wan try, we'll never know.

Except Anakin used the Dark Side to kill Dooku. Again, I thought the Light side was more powerful?

Actually history will say Anakin did because as I recall, Obi-Wan didn't bother to go meet the media and politicos for congratulations on the rescue.

18. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Except he wasn't. Even in Legends.

KyleKartan likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi @Oswin Oswald and @DML3 please don't post more than once in a row. Use the +Quote feature to reply to multiple people at once, or use Edit to add to a post.

Ody_Mandrell and KyleKartan like this.
  20. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Just rewatched all three episodes with my girlfriend who’s been pretty skeptical of most Star Wars after 1983 (she likes the OT, Clone Wars, Visions, season 1 of Mandalorian and that’s about it). She’s really impressed with the series so far. I think I liked Blair’s acting even more this time around.

21. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I gave it an 8/10.

I see a lot of people saying Obi-Wan should be different but obviously the events of ROTS still haunt him. He's in a state of PTSD and it makes sense. Would he be ready to train Luke at this point? No, probably not or it'd be incredibly hard. So I don't see this as a problem and taking away from his character before or after.

Canonically, this episode changes ANH. We're made to think his fight with Vader where he gets killed is their first battle, now it's they're at least 2nd. At first I wasn't sure what to think but now I'm ok with it. I'm going to watch ANH after this to see how it flows now. This is a weaker Obi-Wan though, he's lost all faith in himself and it makes sense he wouldn't win in a duel. I am looking forward to seeing how his arc plays out. How many eps will there be?

Leia again delights. People act shocked she'd act like this and it's ruined the character. I think the opposite. She'd of course be an inquisitive child and outspoken, sharp. I'm really enjoying watching their relationship. And I think it's often forgotten Yoda thought Leia was the better choice, that Luke more or less didn't have it took to be a Jedi.

Mostly Handless and Yanksfan like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I always love seeing people who don’t like most Star Wars content like something

23. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Well, for the record I like more Star Wars content than her (I mainly just don’t like TROS, Solo, and BOBF) and I’m really enjoying Kenobi so far.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    SMH. Solo is the best movie ever :p

25. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    You are complaining just to complain at this point. As already pointed out, the apparent GI 'death' is not a continuity error, for the reasons cited. Let's stop saying that it is.

Also, your statement about Obi Wan's strength in this, versus Rebels, would only apply if that's how they left his character at the end of the show, which we know they aren't. He's mentally defeated and out of touch with the force to a large extent, and gets his groove back by the end of the series. He certainly will do better against Vader next time around, and Vader is stronger than an old man Maul was in Rebels. Your arguments don't make any sense, and the hyperbole about the show runners not watching Rebels is nonsense.