main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The “problem” facing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Alright, this is probably controversial, but hear me out (there will be personal opinions which you can feel free to disagree with me on). The longer Disney holds onto the Star Wars franchise, the more it’s been apparent to me that the Star Wars franchise is extremely limited in what it can tell at this point. Despite all the new TV shows coming out, and movies already out, there doesn’t seem to be a sense of progression (IMO) in the Star Wars story.

Now, obviously the start of the new Disney canon was made to give them more creative freedom in telling new stories, particularly the ST. In a mind boggling move, they rushed out a soft reboot of ANH with TFA, a movie they had no idea how to follow up on, which led to the (also rushed) mess of TLJ and TROS. Disney realized they messed up by retelling a story that was less interesting with less likable characters than the original, and I think it’s pretty telling that the sequel era is relatively untouched just three years after TROS- because there aren’t stories to tell in that era. So instead, the new content takes place closer to the OT, but in making new stories, they have to keep things exciting by introducing some flimsy retcons such as in Obi-Wan (not sure if spoilers are allowed here), or outrageous ones like in Solo (the last name thing is so cringe inducing). But unfortunately, there just isn’t a lot of content to tell during this time period, because we know what’s gonna happen- who survives, where people are going to end up, etc. This can be done well, but it gets tiring if every story has such low stakes for the characters- it makes them predictable.

There’s also an over-reliance on nostalgia. They keep showing us X-Wings, Tie Fighters, Stormtroopers, Vader, R2D2 and C3PO, Ahsoka, and especially Tatooine. Somehow, Palpatine returned instead of having a new, original villain. There’s a whole galaxy out there, and we keep running into the same few characters. I think that’s one of the reasons Mandalorian is so popular, because they actually get away from that for the most part, even if Mando is basically Boba reskinned.

Which brings up the problem of Disney’s “new” characters- they’re mostly just unoriginal copies of the OT ones. Rey=Luke, Kylo=Vader, BB8=R2D2, Poe=Han Solo, Snoke=Palpatine (literally though), etc. Heck, even Mando and Baby Yoda aren’t fully original.

So what’s the solution? Is the set timeline of Star Wars a problem? Should they branch out into a multiverse? How can we get modern stories in the spirit of Star Wars that tell a good, original story?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    On one hand, it's very understandable that something as super nostalgic and expansive as SW would struggle to stay fresh and interesting. But when Disney starts running out of stories to tell, yet the nostalgia is still selling, what can they do besides make a Star Wars Multi-verse? I can't think they'd care more about the whole "SW is supposed to be ONE canon" thing that fans would inevitably complain about. The prospect of having more freedom in making content and making money seems too good to resist.

But if they do go that route, I don't think it will be for a long time. I think they'll want to squeeze as much as they can out of their current lineup of content, negative receptions be damned.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  3. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I imagine Skeleton Crew and Acolyte will feel quite original.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's also Visions

5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Hasn't KK said they're working on taking Star Wars into the future? Like, literally--working on a new saga that takes place many years after TROS?

6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    They have touched on Sequel Trilogy in Terrifying Tales (2021):

[​IMG]

Poe Dameron was main character, and Kylo Ren’s backstory with the Knights of Ren was explored.

The Lego Star Wars Christmas Special (2020) focused on Rey.

Most boons including The Lightsaber Guide has Rey and Kylo Ren’s sabers in it. Rey waa on the cover of the Secrets of the Jedi.

So Disney has not abandoned ST.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What retcons? I don't think Obi-Wan and Solo contradict anything from the movies.

8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You state that the new films, characters and stories are rubbish when a lot of fans don’t feel this way. Hardly seems like an open ended discussion when you’ve already said everything like it’s a fact in the opening post.
    “Disney realised they messed up” “They rushed out a soft reboot” “Introducing some flimsy retcons”
    These aren’t facts, they’re opinions. And there’s actually no retcons in Kenobi. Be patient.

I have never once felt like Disney has limited the Star Wars universe. Not even in the slightest. We’ve been exploring two new eras (Sequels and New Republic) and expanding on eras (Prequels and Rebellion). We’ve seen countless original, likeable and interesting characters, which have quickly become fan favourites. There’s been countless new ships, planets, species, etc. as well.

The Mandalorian show launched an enormous new part of the universe to explore. Mandalorian lore has been told in a fresh and expansive way, and is now household knowledge to even casual and non-Star Wars fans. And how about Visions? You literally cannot get more new and creative than that show.

So do we just ignore four entire seasons of Rebels? New characters, new stories, new stakes.

Disney ain’t slowing down any time soon. They’ve got heaps of projects announced to continue expanding the universe throughout all different eras. There’s no solution, because there’s no problem.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Bringing up Lego Star Wars to prove that Disney cares about the ST... isn't making a good argument, IMO.

10. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    @Jordan1Kenobi

I agree with all that you've said wholeheartedly.

You are talking about the art form of story telling. In storytelling, progression always isn't about some ever forward moving narrative. A lot of times, progression is expanding upon certain characters, eras, or events that the audience already has knowledge of. As it is, Star Wars had many eras and many narrative gaps to fill.

Hell, most of what George Lucas did with SW post 1983 wasn't progression as you describe, it was retroactively filling in story gaps...much like Disney is doing. The Prequels and TCW were the very essence of this.

Star Wars is a sandbox that Lucas created and others have now been tasked with playing in that sandbox. Yet, without Lucas at the helm, I think it would almost be sacrilegious for creators other than Lucas to radically reimagine/redesign/ or push beyond the (still expansive) parameters that Lucas established.

Nostalgia isn't a dirty word. From the very beginning Star Wars was built out of nostalgia. Star Wars is (and has long been) about new twists on familiar characters/situations.

Characters are often "copies" of other character because SW characters are heavily archetypal. Han, Luke, and Leia were not newly created characters. They are beloved, well known, archetypes. Did you see the new Top Gun? Same thing here. The new pilots are basically redressed versions of the pilots from the first film. That's modern mythology for you.

11. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't mind prequel material, in fact I prefer it over post-RotJ material, or stories taking place hundreds of years in the past/future of the OT. But the sheer amount of content Disney is releasing is... a lot, too much IMO, and it's coming so quickly compared to the Lucas era when it was pretty much TCW and some books/comics. I think it's much easier to feel burnout or lack of creativity/ progress in recent SW.

And yeah, definitely doesn't help when you find most of the material incredibly disappointing.

CaptainEO and Darth Weavile like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    300 years after ROS:

A plucky rebel keeps a low profile in some frontier settlement while some snooty bad dude in a clean cut uniform is prowling around.

13. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I would probably be more okay and even excited with Star Wars becoming the MCU if I didn't already know what it's Endgame was going to be like.

Kato Sai likes this.
  14. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Good point. There is no mystery where it all ends.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  15. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    <Head Canon Time Machine From 2011> Alright, this is probably controversial, but hear me out (there will be personal opinions which you can feel free to disagree with me on). The longer George Lucas holds onto the Star Wars franchise, the more it’s been apparent to me that the Star Wars franchise is extremely limited in what it can tell at this point. Despite plans for new shows and media, there doesn’t seem to be a sense of progression (IMO) in the Star Wars story. For example, Uncle George recycled the Death Star idea in 1983 for Return of the Jedi. And to think "rhyming" is what is really going on in the PT when compared side by side to the OT is really myopic. And what's this Clone Wars cartoon all about? Grouping together an OT bounty hunter that's de-aged to soften up him with the PT albino Amazon bounty hunter, is such an un-original mash-up sourced from an old, decrepit mind and only serves to keep the lights on at click-baiters like Red Letter Media...</Head Canon Time Machine From 2011>

Ugh! Everyone, please try and go enjoy the Star Wars that you get and keep the sour grapes for the Star Wars you never got on the vine.

16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    What it in the PT other than rhyming? There are parallels between the PT and OT, but does that really equate to the same thing as what TFA did?

Regarding Death Star II- another superweapon may have been used, but ROTJ still has the beats of the third chapter in the saga (sixth after the PT).
    Its plot is still advanced from ANH, with different circumstances surrounding the principals involved. By contrast, Starkiller Base existed in the realm of a movie where the story doesn't seem to be much farther along than it had been in ANH- just with older OT heroes and different Imperial faces than the bygone era. In other words, the plot of ROTJ is a continuation of the original Star Wars in spite of the similar McGuffin, while TFA's plot doesn't feel that way. (Starkiller Base isn't a major complaint of mine)

It's okay to not be fond of the PT or TCW (and to prefer the ST to either), but Boba Fett and Aurra Sing's dynamic was something not portrayed in earlier works. I would have liked to see more of them personally.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  17. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I’ve been saying this for years. I like Star Wars and all, but to me, the main story is episodes 1-6. I think you can branch off and tell little side stories like clone wars, the Kenobi series, bad batch, rebels, Mandalorian, etc. but I really don’t know how to continue the story in a way that feels significant, original, and also still feels like Star Wars. I feel like if it’s just the republic fighting endless wars with a variety of different villains, it basically just turns into a more action oriented Star Trek with lightsabers.

Saga_Symphony and Darth Weavile like this.
  18. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    What would you consider to be "the spirit of Star Wars" and how is what we've gotten from Disney not in line with that? Not agreeing or disagreeing but a lot of people have made arguments like this and part of the problem with talking about what Star Wars is or should be is that everyone is coming at it from different angles.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I definitely do not want a multiverse, the existing lack of continuity with Lucas and some with Disney is annoying enough.

Palpatine returning was a big problem, I hated Dark Empire and did not want a newer version of that on screen. But I don’t think the ST characters are copycats at all. The issue is that’s what they were going for in a way but missed what made them work. Rey was not Luke. She was not aspiring to be a Jedi “like her father before her.” Kylo was not Vader. Vader would have thrown him across the room and told him to STFU. Kylo was Anakin at his worst moments but without Anakin at his best moments. Poe was not Han, they were both great characters in their own right (at least until TLJ tried to portray Poe as a hot tempered arrogant man who needed to be slapped). And Finn had no match, and deserved a better portrayal. The ST tried to do a “good person redeems bad person” story similar to Luke redeeming Vader but completely forgot the motivation Luke had for redeeming Vader and instead went for a horrible antiquated gender stereotyping “all a bad man needs is a romance with a good woman” storyline, with some OOU further gender stereotyping of “bringing women into Star Wars” (hel-LO, we’re already here).

Starkiller Base might have been a bigger Death Star in concept but I liked the way it was presented, like a cross between a Death Star and the Yuuzhan Vong concept of terraforming a planet.

I loved what was done with X-Wings, I don’t recall seeing them on water in the OT, and I liked the new planets introduced by Disney.

One area I think Disney has been great with is droids. I was as emotional or more emotional when K2SO and L3 died than I was when 3PO lost his limbs in ESB.

Also speeches—the two greatest in all of Star Wars are Jyn’s speech to the Alliance Council in Rogue One and Luke’s speech on Crait.

As far as expanded properties—there is plenty of timeline to explore before the PT era, during the PT era (already happening with novels), during the OT era (same), more portrayals of characters already introduced—I really look forward to the Ahsoka and Cassian shows.

I don’t care about any further exploration of the ST characters other than Finn and Poe but there is still plenty of room on the timeline, they aren’t closed off at all.

20. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Uhhh... the specific things I wrote were not complaints. They were something else.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yes at some point they need to do more stories set in the 'future', but I also think there's really interesting gaps to exploit , I wouldn't mind a Sidious story with more of his manipulations as he builds up the Empire or a Vader story post ANH where he follows a search for Luke that leads to discovering he's his son.

I'd rather not have any more clone war stories , they've been done to death.

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think there are plenty of spots on the Star Wars timeline that can be further developed in TV shows and movies. There is all the High Republic content in the books and comics that I think could easily be transferred into a TV series or a film or even films. There could also be a film or TV series about the Jedi warring with the Sith in the days of the Old Republic or a TV series or film focusing on the establishment of the Jedi Order and the life of the Prime Jedi. Or a film or TV series about Rey and Finn re-establishing the Jedi Order. Or even a TV series or film exploring Luke's attempts to re-establish the Jedi Order and Kylo's fall to the Dark Side. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Really much of the New Canon and even the old EU could be turned into a TV series or films if Disney desires. There are literally thousands of years of history in different eras that the Star Wars franchise can explore so a problem shouldn't be running out of ideas for TV series and films in my opinion.

23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'd love the Old Republic time line and would definitely be excited for a show or movie covering this.

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @wobbits Yeah, I was thinking recently about how much I loved the Darth Bane books and the Old Republic era in general. I really think there could be a quite epic TV series about Darth Bane and the evolution of him as an anti-hero, and seeing big battles between large numbers of Jedi and Sith (something that we haven't really been treated to on screen in the Star Wars universe) could be really awesome.

I just think that Star Wars still has a ton of untapped potential in terms of TV shows and films that can be made. Especially in eras that haven't gotten much attention on screen yet. So I would love to see Disney expand into TV shows and films set during those time periods, which could have new and appealing aesthetics as well.

Darth Majestic and wobbits like this.
  25. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Also, Disney is wise to take advantage of developing properties with familiar Star Wars actors while they are around/of age.