main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well if you can't put faith in one of the last few jedi left. why would you put faith in a 10 year old boy growing up to be able to defeat the Emporer? Based on what?

You say i have a narrow view... But how is this idea any better?

There is nothing wrong with pushing Nari away. As Obi Wan says, the war is over, they lost. Obi Wan feels they stand no chance in fighting. And i think if you took what we know about Luke and the OT out and looked at Obi Wans motivations, you would sorta question why he was willing to let people die for this kid, which in itself is a risk.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Def Trooper likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Advils not working.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Because he’s the son of the Chosen One. Have you watched Star Wars?

TadoFett likes this.
  4. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I have. Have you watched all of Star Wars? Where the chosen one, the one that was meant to destroy the sith, turned to the dark side? Washing the chosen one theory down the drain?

Thats part of the talk between Obi Wan, Mace and Yoda where they debated about the anakin and the prophecy. Now whether ROTJ proves Anakin was the chosen one or not. There is no reason for Obi Wan to carry that faith in Anakin.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t remember the prophecy being declared invalid. You must have watched a different version then me. I have seen the episode of Rebels where Obi-Wan declares his belief that Luke is the Chosen One which perfectly explains why he would protect him for so long and put his faith in him.

TadoFett and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Yoda brings up that the prophecy could have been misread in ROTS. Which is to create a message of uncertainty in what they believe. The jedi hold faith in the prophecy, But none of them really know if its true. Its all based on faith. But what gives a character faith to come to a conclusion? For Anakin it was born from no father with a high midi-chlorian count. But he didn't turn to the dark side, he joined them. That wasn't part of the prophecy.

Def Trooper likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am convinced of this.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, and it isn’t worth wasting an afternoon arguing over. I’m done.

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    This is a Star Wars forum. People over analyze all-new star wars. If you add to it, you need to cover it.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But it's not fair that you constantly attempt to discuss all these multiverse versions of Star Wars you have access to while everyone else here can only view the version released on our Earth.

11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well I chose to take the red pill. You can never not see the truth after that.

Sarge likes this.
  12. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    After Episode 3, Obi-Wan has absolutely no reason to believe in The Chosen One. As clearly established in the show, Obi-Wan has lost faith and largely given up.

Def Trooper likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Is that why he’s insisting on training Luke… because he’s given up?

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It's also why he keeps trying to commune with dead Jedi Masters through the Force. That's how people who are done with the Jedi act.

15. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I believe in this era...Obi-Wan is more than a future mentor for Luke. He's his own character and one who's trying to wrap his head around not only being emotionally lost but also now finding out Anakin is alive and has turned into a monstrosity. The latter alone is a lot to take in.

TadoFett likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Don't think this has been posted yet. Character posters from the episode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Rewatched episode 3 again, when Kenobi tells Leia to not speak at all as they travel through enemy territory, it reminded me a lot of Hidden Fortress.

TadoFett, Bor Mullet and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Yall are pretty dismissive of this argument, but I think it's valid to discuss even if I don't 100% agree that Obi-Wan is selfish or a quitter.

Are we supposed to believe he had a plan all the way since the end ROTS? If so, is he wavering in his faith in that ideal? I think the big question is what exactly is Obi-Wan's mindset at this point and how did he reach the conclusion that Luke (and specifically Luke) needed to be trained? Does he still believe in a Chosen One? I hope the show addresses these things, and while it wouldn't be a huge deal if it didn't, they're worthwhile questions to ask about Obi-Wan at this point in his life and it would really help in contextualizing the decisions he makes because I do agree with others that it's a bit fuzzy.

I honestly thought this was a bit much precisely because it was basically random violence against totally innocent, harmless people and there's nothing in the past films that suggest Vader is that type of villain.

If they were suspected of harboring Obi-Wan and he'd given them a chance to surrender beforehand? Then sure. But if Vader was this careless about killing civilians then I'm not sure why he'd bother with all the complicated stuff he did on Bespin if he could just slaughter everyone until his enemies gave themselves up.

Darth Smurf and jaimestarr like this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I think the complicated stuff on Bespin still fits: Continued suffering of your friends will continually play on your conscience and Jedi sensibilities. It's more of a cruel "draw" than just killing them outright, when there is no chance of saving them.

(I really don't like thinking about how sadistic cruelty makes "more sense"! *shudder*)

TadoFett likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, I thought those parts (the Force neck-snapping of the kid in particular) were over the top and actually out of character. He justified killing younglings because they were Jedi; that kid was just completely innocent and unnecessary collateral damage.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    This is how I see it three episodes in re: Obi-Wan and his psyche… Luke in TLJ has had a crisis of faith in both himself and the Jedi whereas Obi-Wan has a crisis of faith in just himself. I still think he believes in the Jedi and his mission to protect Luke. He just doesn’t believe in himself at the moment.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You know Vader is in full on I don't give a hoot mode when he uses the one hand laser sword disrespect move on Kenobi. Obi-Wan needs a Qui-Gon sourced training montage

Drawing out Kenobi with death and fueling Vader's rage and hate Dark Side meter (Which was probably pretty high considering Kenobi was right there) was the reason I bought Vader bumping off randos. Also they should have stayed inside instead of being lookie-loos, serves 'em right!

TadoFett likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    And Gandalf and Pippin before going to speak to Denethor.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    McGregor said his notion for the show as a man who had "lost his faith". So I think it works with Obi-Wan being rusty and not immediately being attuned to the Force as he has lost his faith, pretty explicitly when he told that Jedi to stay hidden and telling Bail he isn't the same man anymore. He is trying to contact Qui-Gon but he can't. He offers to train Luke but it is just an offer, he apparently hasn't even seen him or been able to train him. So he has to shake the rust off, which we saw in how long it took for his Force catch of Leia to kick in. As it stands, he isn't fully attuned to the Force which is why Vader beat the heck out him.

Obi-Wan just up and running away from Vader made me laugh, like he just full on bailed.

jaimestarr likes this.
  25. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    sure, if pippin was being smuggled through Mordor on their way to the Shire.