main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series A Vader vs Kenobi duel between eps 3 & 4 - Does it breaks canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Jun 5, 2022.

?

A Vader vs Kenobi duel between eps 3 & 4 - Does it breaks canon?

1. No

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think the movie statements in ANH are vague.

If it was vague then the novel and other EU novels wouldn't clearly say Vader and Kenobi met for the first time since RotS. They clearly said they didn't see each other in many materials new and old. The writers of those materials didn't just decide to make ''hey lets say Obi-Wan and Vader didn't see each other since RotS, even though its vague, why not we can make up important things like this''.

This is similar to Lucas saying Maul died in the movie and EU materials (except for 2005 Visionaries comic book) didn't resurrect Maul until Lucas told them to do it. Because it wasn't vague until 2012 The Clone Wars resurrected Maul.

Lucas now sold Star Wars to Disney, just like Lucas can decide to bring Maul back, Disney can decide to change many things about Vader and Obi-Wan just like Lucas changed many things before selling it.

I think the main difference here is that they never said Maul died or not died in AotC and RotS movie, while there are statements in the AnH movie, and I think they need to remove those lines or change the lines in my opinion. Because its not vague.

Even Vader waiting that Ben arrives then says ''I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan, we meet again at last''

This is a very strong line in my opinion that you can feel this is the first time Obi-Wan seeing Vader since RotS since he become full cyborg.

Also I can easily refute this argument about, ''Oh that RotJ line about Vader being twisted and evil make sense now''. Kenobi dueled with Vader in ANH he has seen enough to understand the Sith Lord's powers and what he has become in his new Vader suit. That ANH duel obviously taught Kenobi everything he needed to know. If not he already knew Anakin killed younglings from the records, Obi-Wan has seen that Anakin killing younglings, he doesn't need to know anything else.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  2. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    If I wrote this show, I would be making sure those lines of dialogue from ANH could be used in context of this show... Maybe they still will.

3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Interesting, Vader is still learning from Kenobi. He continues to learn from his old master, even as an enemy.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    No. And I approve of that being the first option, as it is objectively the correct answer.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  5. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    The ANH duel has been retconned off and on since The Empire Strikes Back. Originally the Vader and Ben dialogue was between a Jedi Master and his former student who had killed the Master's Jedi Knight friend. This was later changed to the former student and the murdered Jedi friend being the same person. Later in the ROTJ novelization their last battle before the ANH duel happened in a volcano, where Vader fell into lava. This was later changed in Revenge of the Sith to a whole planet covered in rivers of lava, but where Vader was instead set on fire. And so on, so forth. Retconning, clarifying, and adding and erasing further details to these two crazy kids and their relationship is pretty much a Star Wars staple. I think this series has potential to actually remove some of the vestigial wonkiness from the ESB and prequel trilogy retconning.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes, it breaks canon.

This entire series breaks canon.

I don’t care though and I still want to see it happen.

Kato Sai likes this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Alters. It alters canon.

Shaak Ti and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Expands canon.

9. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    It ENRICHES cannot..

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Valairy Scot and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    BECAUSE it cannot.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  11. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I've accepted so much retroactive crazy stuff at this point - Anakin's powers doubling since he last fought Dooku the week before, Anakin having a Padawan that somehow never comes up during RotS, Darth Maul getting cut in half and walking it off with robot legs, Owen somehow telling Anakin he shouldn't leave Tatooine and "get involved" even though they barely know each other and only met after Anakin became a Jedi etc. - that this doesn't even seem like a big deal. :p

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s dangerous referring to movie novelizations and EU books. Time and again they are over written. Thus far the movies and TV shows are the only content that has not been overruled. That said the content of the movies and tv shows has been reinterpreted and modified by past events.

Shaak Ti and cwustudent like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Oooooor he has told Ben, in-between ROTS and ANH, that he thinks Anakin should've stayed and not gotten involved. Ben is the one who's telling Luke this, after all.
    As far as I'm concerned, that's the only remotely sensible reading of it since Episodes I-III were released.

14. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    [​IMG]

cwustudent likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I mean... "Like you trained his father?" flat out informs Ben (and the viewer) what Owen thinks of people in his family following Old Obi Wan on any damn fool idealistic crusades.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I am altering canon. Pray I do not alter it further."

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Retcons are great ideas not thought of earlier!!!

Shaak Ti and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Retcons are part of the Star Wars DNA, and they're not inherently bad. I accept it the same way I accept there will always be differences between novelizations and movie versions, because the medium is different.

jaimestarr likes this.
  19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    There's nothing to modify and reinterpret about Vader being the learner means Vader beats Kenobi instead of losing to him.

I understand people likes Vader and defend this. I can relate since I also defend the idea that Maul was resurrected but I believe Vader vs Obi-Wan dueling again after RotS, especially with Vader winning it is clearly harder to defend. Its hard to spin the narrative that what Vader being the learner means.

And Vader literally tells him ''when I left you'' Vader left Obi-Wan since RotS, then they dueled again years after RotS and then Vader left him? It doesn't make any sense.

As well as Vader telling Obi-Wan that Obi-Wan's powers are weak since Obi-Wan is old in ANH meaning that Obi-Wan was stronger when he wasn't old when he faced Vader. Spinning this to another direction is also hard.

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/obi-wan-kenobi-leia-disney-1235160356/

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Can or can not. There is no canon.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought it was a given, I'm surprised people thought otherwise. I enjoyed this fight a lot with that in mind.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have come to believe that the beating we saw Obi Wan take in the third episode is the only duel they will have and the next 3 episodes will be Obi Wan hiding in a closet and crying and saying that he can't go on and the series would end like that because if not there would be no reason for me to be distraught at how terribly this has all made canon implode in on itself.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    exactly, as someone who has read hundreds of Star Wars books and comics, this is the word, they are literally known as the Expanded Universe, it’s about expanding on existing stories, it’s not about replacing or negating them, it’s just simply about expanding on what has come before, the only difference here is that we’re getting these expanding stories in live action

and believe me, I’ve read plenty of bad Star Wars books and comics

Dawud786 and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Clearly, Darth beating up Obi-Wan was absolutely what Kennedy had in mind when she talked about "the rematch of the century." It's the only explanation.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.