main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Pretty underwhelmed by this super-short, somewhat perfunctory episode. As I was just getting intrigued... it ended.

I loved seeing the Fortress Inquisitorius, but I'm not sure why Reva thought someone as young as Leia would know anything about The Path. Kenobi slowly regaining his Force powers and his motivation to fight was important to see. Didn't spend enough time with Tala's team to care about their losses.

Final two episodes will probably be doozies... but I feel let down after staying up on a work night. [face_thinking] This was the first misfire of the series for me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  2. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I don't know about you guys, but I wasn't excited for this series just to see Obi-wan getting into a random adventures, chasing macguffins (Leia), and killing stormtroopers. I was hoping for some character work considering the rich territory they're playing with. There's so much more they can be exploring.

Moments like Obi-wan igniting the lightsaber in the dark, holding back the water, etc, are cool, for like...a second. They don't have much impact when the overall story is like a saturday morning cartoon.

And what's with all the bad acting from the new random side characters.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, yeah, I know - but I've been used to calling them Snowspeeders for almost thirty years. :p

I'm intrigued by this. Care to elaborate on this theory?

Pretty sure.
    [​IMG]

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Look, it's fine overall, and I'd say this is arguably the best executed episode to date. But I'm still having difficulty mustering any real enthusiasm for this story. Rescuing Leia from another Imperial fortress like ANH?

"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing."

But hey, the cross cutting between Ben and Vader in their respective bacta tanks was QUITE SOMETHING.

Still a 7/10 overall for me.

5. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The parallel was great, until they literally had to show Vader, in case you didn't get it.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Whoever predicted Obi-Wan in bacta should get themselves a cookie! Wait, I think that's all of us, no? Still, intercutting between him and Vader in bacta was cool.

I agree that this episode seemed somewhat lackluster. A bit too much treading on already welltrodden ground. A viewer watching everything in chronological order is going to wonder why we're running through corridors again once they get to ANH.

But the tomb bit was good. I don't think we've seen something like that in SW.

It was weird seeing them hang still in the air though. Still, I don't know why they shouldn't be able to.

Interesting thought! I definitely can see this.

7. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Now that I think of it maybe that is why they have a tow cable. I think the airspeeders were meant for hauling stuff and maybe the blaster cannons were added on later?

8. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    The first episode was everything I wanted in that regard. The third episode had a lot of character drama as well. But this episode felt half-hearted by comparison.

I wouldn't mind a "transition" episode like this if the series were 10-13 episodes long. But with only 6 parts... yeah.

9. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Feels a bit like a filler episode.. would be ok with a 22 episodes series, but with a limited one, seems a bit like a waste of time and story..
    There were some great parts like the tomb, his lightsaber fight and stopping the window from cracking.. but overall something was missing..

Darth MikeSin and Jediking97 like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's less obvious in the first few episodes, but there are clear parallels at play.

Part I: The Chosen One's son grows up on Tatooine where darksiders come searching for Jedi. Meanwhile, Queen Amidala's daughter is taken from her idyllic home planet and a Force user goes to find her. Sort of like TPM, but with a twist.

Part II: On Daiyu, which looks very similar to the entertainment district on Coruscant, Ben and Leia try to run and hide, much like Anakin and Padmé once did. Then, Ben learns that Anakin is still alive, which sort of mirrors him learning the truth about Sidious (even though he doesn't want to believe that one) and generally has that vibe of "Oh crap, the Sith are more involved in everything than we thought" from the end of AOTC.
    He also runs into an old clone trooper!

Part III: Well, this is literally a revenge of the Sith, wouldn't you say? :)

Aaand Part IV, where we essentially get the Death Star rescue, complete with Leia parallels and a tracking device (which will mirror the probe droids from TESB in the next episode).

And that's just scratching the surface!

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I got all the ANH good feels in the Fortress Death Star it was a huge homage even Rescuing Liea like in ANH! The Tomb was creepy good and Liea's interigation reminded me of Han's interigation in Empire and Finn and Rey's interigation in TFA! The underwater scenes were like the Naboo underwater scenes with JarJar Binks! I loved the OT and PT feel to this episode! I give this a 9 out of a 10 may be the best episode so far!

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh! I hadn't thought of that at all, but it makes perfect sense. Nice!

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I must have missed something.
    Were we supposed to know who some of the people were in those tanks and were they all dead or frozen?

14. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Okay… so… That was awesome.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Another awesome episode! Well I’d say we truly understand Kanan’s description of the Mustafar and Fortress Inquisitorius, “It’s where Jedi go to die.” :_|

Obi-Wan starting to regain his form was awesome to see. I think my favorite part though was him escaping with Leia hidden under his coat. [face_laugh]

Because she did know. She knew they were going to Jabiim which is where the Path leads to.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    They were dead ("It's a tomb"). The only one I could identify was Tera Sinube, but it's clear from him, as well as the youngling, that they were all Jedi.

Yeah, that'll be even more chilling when watching Rebels again.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I also loved that the shot of Tala’s comlink that she leaves behind looks exactly like the shot in ANH when Threepio leaves the comlink behind when he and Artoo are hiding in the closet on the Death Star. Overall there were a lot of Death Star vibes in this episode. Like when Obi-Wan uses the Force to make the stormtroopers leave the area he’s in.

18. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    The Force will be with Wade… always. :(

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, a lot of Death Star vibes, but I'd say there were some pretty neat Starkiller Base vibes as well. The color palette was similar to TFA, and some of the shots of stormtroopers were similar as well. Not to mention angry Vader marching through the corridor at the end mirroring his grandson on Starkiller Base.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    For about a second I thought Wade’s wife was going to pull out the necklace that Rose Tico and her sister wore in TLJ but I guess the timeline doesn’t really fit. They wouldn’t have been born at the time. Still… would have been awesome. :p

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Perhaps sooner or later the Empire might want to re-organize their security infrastructure because it is getting worse and worse in every new story.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought the same thing. When Leia was strapped into the torture device I definitely got Kylo Ren and Rey vibes.

Oh come on, Obi-Wan hiding Leia under his coat as he walks past countless officers and stormtroopers is hilarious. I could definitely see that as something George would have done. I loved it! [face_laugh]

23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think the series finally lost me completely. This is not *my* Vader. Vader is not a serial killer who keeps twisted trophies in his basement. Everything else was mediocre to bad about the episode, but that part was almost insulting. I did have it spoiled, so it would have probably been even more of a shock moment otherwise. Vader did totally irredeemable things in the Lucas films, but he never showed pride in his deeds. He cries on Mustafar after killing the Jedi and the separatists. I can't see the Vader in this series ever turning back to the good side. I'm sure many people will disagree, though.

One of them was the elderly Jedi who helped Ahsoka in TCW. The others I did not recognize.

JediMasterMark15 and Oryx-I like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Do you know that they're married or did you just get that vibe?

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No I just assumed. They could have been dating or maybe just really good friends I guess.

Mostly Handless likes this.