main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series What Would you Change About The Book of Boba Fett?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SlashMan, Feb 15, 2022.

1. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I would not have shown Luke or Grogu and I certainly would not have sent Grogu away from Luke this early.

From a pure marketing/creative perspective what a mistake!

2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    To be fair, the burnt skin from the Sarlacc helped mask the age discrepancy as we were eased into the character. But when they made references to him being old in the show that felt like an oversight.

Funny thing is that it wouldn't be the first time severe burns were used to mask an actor's age; Sebastian Shaw was about three decades older than the character he was portraying.

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Though that character may have been intended to be older in the pre-prequel conception, if the ROTJ script is any indication.

Tommytom likes this.
  4. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm a bit curious about that; I assume this isn't the shooting script you're referring to?

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think a lot of people believed Anakin turned in his 30s. Though Shaw was older than Alec by a decade or so. And even if the age gap was smaller, I don’t think Anakin was ever meant to be older than Obi-Wan.

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I wanted the Sarlac Pit utilized as a time vortex, such that even though mb 30 min passed for Boba Fett or mb even a couple hours to get out, once he emerges years have passed. (Digestion takes like 30 years but this creature takes 1k years? Really?) When he entered the Empire existed. When he emerges it's gone. That's kinda a big deal bc it changes the crime syndicate order.

Boba Fett also needed to be unquestionably clever and one who outsmarts others. This is what he told Shan: Bounty Hunters such as themselves are highly intelligent and clever and their employers are morons, so why shouldn't they run things themselves, if nothing else for efficiency sake...

We need to see Boba transform from a selfish opportunist into someone who is part of a community and values community... He didn't spend enough time with the Sand Ppl imo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  8. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Right, there's no situation where Anakin was ever meant to be older than Obi-Wan. Back when they were separate characters, Anakin may have been a peer of similar age to Obi-Wan (versus Darth Vader clearly being a pupil). But even then, he'd have to a bit younger with Obi-Wan being portrayed in his 60s-70s; being Luke's father would suggest Anakin would be on the lower end of his 50s. But that all became a moot point once Empire Strikes Back firmly established the relation of ages.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This never needed to be a show about the underworld, even though in the end it was only that in barest sense. All the narrative energy and interest was in the Tusken flashback segment. Those were also the only good parts of the entire show. The real revision would be removing Boba Fett from the Mandalorian altogether. A good story would have been Boba Fett emerging from the Sarlaac and integrating with the Sand People. The last scene would have been him putting on his Tusken helmet to blend in seamlessly with that tribe, and then never be mentioned at all in Star Wars ever again going forward. At all.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Given my disappointment in this series, some of my changes to this show would be pretty drastic. But I will try to respect their decision to redeem Boba because I think that there is potential in that; the show just poorly executed it. I actually like the idea of Boba finding meaning through a warrior culture, even if the show lazily rushes through it.

• I'd have the show play out in chronological order to make it easier to follow.
    • Boba's palace would be livelier.
    • The Hutts should have been the antagonists, not the Pykes.
    • I'd gut most of The Mandolorian content and I wouldn't have Din and Grogu reunite in this show (this should be saved for Mando's third season).
    • Without the Mando stuff, I'd have a couple of episodes flesh out Boba's arc by having him half-heartedly try to return to his old life as a Bounty Hunter.
    • Boba's bounty hunter buddies would make a small appearance, but they wouldn't help him after realising that he has "gone soft."
    • The show would end with Freetown, the surviving Tuskens, Din, Luke Skywalker and the New Republic aiding Boba in liberating Tatooine from the Hutts.
    • After realising Boba is a changed man, Luke Skywalker would save Boba's life, which changes Boba's view of the Jedi.
    I love a reference to 1980's Star Wars cartoons! But I wouldn't have Tiggy be a villain. Maybe one of the washed-up criminals Boba is asked to kill. Maybe Hondo too?

Yeah, I hated that. Seeing them fall to their deaths seemed like a cruel joke. Then again, I've always felt sympathetic towards these guys. I used to hate seeing that Gamorean be eaten by the Rancor in RotJ.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The one thing I would have changed as someone who liked the show. I think in hindisght the mods were poorly acted. Remove them or give them better dialogue. I like this show and I get it does. It’s another redemption story. We see in TCW that Boba when he was a kid was a good person. He got in touch with it again.

Tommytom and Darth Baga like this.
  12. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I forgot about this. I don't think the idea of Boba recruiting a bunch of street urchins was bad, but the Mods absolutely do not fit the look of Tatooine. So destitute kids from Tatooine can't afford something as essential as water, but they can afford fancy cybernetics and shiny vespas? Something like that could work on Coruscant, but not Tatooine.

Remove the cybernetics. Remove the British accents. Give the swoop bikes and raggedy clothes, and they're good to go!

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    After some people saying Boba Fett was a disappointment , I finally just finished the series and it was excellent better than expected - I'm not sure what people's problems may have been. I'm not sure I would change anything as nothing really comes to mind although I would have like Cad Bane to live.

14. XxXSpace_KarenXxX

XxXSpace_KarenXxX Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2022
    [​IMG]

Was this faction necessary? Hmm.

Chris0013 likes this.
  15. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    My biggest issue with the show was the it felt wildly, internally inconsistent. I'm just not sure what the show was really about. The series begins with Boba Fett looking to consolidate power as a crime lord, and ends with him viewing himself as the protector of his town, but whereas the destination is clear, the journey just... isn't there. Like, is the implication supposed to be that the crime lord thing was just a façade? If so, that was wholly missing from the series, and I don't think I can buy the excuse of it being "subtle" because I think the subtly just wasn't there in the first place. I like the idea, but when it comes to storytelling, to me, an idea is only as good as its execution. Anyone can have good ideas. If you're going to try to convey those ideas through storytelling rather than, say, through cut-and-dry books concerning philosophy or history or something of the sort, then the actual practice of storytelling matters too.

Narratively, this could not be more clear than through the character of Cad Bane. I'm of the opinion that when it comes to these live-action series, whether they be TV series or movies, if they are not explicitly labeled spin-offs of given things, then they should be able to stand on their own. And if you watch Book of Boba Fett in a vacuum, having never seen The Clone Wars or read any of the comics, then Bane... is a really weak villain. Like, comically weak. He shows up, if I recall correctly, at the end of the second-to-last episode, and then he just kind of... dies, in the next one. Now, if Bane was essentially just a hired gun that Boba had to overcome as a physical antagonist, I wouldn't mind this. But Bane is clearly used in the show as a foil to Boba Fett: he challenges his new life, asking whether or not Boba can truly reform himself from his old bounty hunting days, and the show clearly alludes to there being history between the two characters. Basically, Bane should have been set up from the beginning of the series. He should have been there from the start, first or second episode. He didn't need to interact with Boba from the beginning, and I'm not saying the series needed to elaborate in dry exposition his elaborate history with Boba, but he should've been there from the start to set up his antagonism with the series' titular protagonist.

I mean, you know you have a problem when the best episodes in your series are the ones that do not focus on the titular character of the series, and I don't think they should've even brought those characters into this series in the first place. It just felt incredibly jarring, like it wasn't the right place, the right time. I mean, this is our first on-screen appearance of Luke Skywalker and Ahsoka freaking Tano! And it's our reunion of the Mandalorian and Grogu! What's it doing in a TV show about Boba Fett of all people, in a series of episodes completely disconnected from his storyline? That's the kind of stuff that makes it feel like blatant fan-service rather than anything meaningful. If you're going to do this, it should've been in The Mandalorian. And if this show is just supposed to be a spin-off of Mandalorian, it should've been called The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett. I mean, given that The Mandalorian titles each episode as a "Chapter," this would have worked. But they didn't do this, and if they did, they completely and utterly failed at making this clear from the get go.

I'm not sure what it is, but these Star Wars shows have been terrified of giving their characters any substantial or meaningful depth. I guess they're afraid to make their "kids series" too complex, but that fear is holding them back. You just need a little bit more. Characters can have more depth without the series being turned into Game of Thrones or Sopranos.

I ordinarily don't like to use this phrase because I think it's overused by a bunch of unqualified people (including me!) and it's pretty reductive and overly simplistic, but ultimately, at the end of the day, I think a lot of the issues boil down to bad writing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think this show would have flowed much better if they just got all of the flashbacks done up front in 2 or 3 episodes. Then we get Boba getting the gang together and learning as he goes how to run a crime family. Then the last episode is him taking over Mos Espa with his sights set on the rest of Tatooine. No Mando season 2.5 cutaway. More time to flesh out Boba and Co and then at the end of the penultimate episode you hit the audience with the musical cue hinting about bringing in Din for the big finale.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In terms of the overall narrative, this is a pretty good summary of what they were going for I think:

Though after watching it, I can't help but wonder if it would have been clearer if the show was in chronological order, rather than doing the flashback thing. And definitely could have streamlined some bits - in particular, I think they should have had a single group of villains rather than having a twist about who the villain really was for like half the series.

Tommytom likes this.
  18. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I don't have much to add about actually making the show better. Everyone has already provided some good ideas.
    My idea is this: After the show was made, and some decision-maker watched it...they should have decided to dump it all at once. I know Disney likes the weekly format to keep people subscribed for more than a month, but this show was going for a slow burn and it was not compelling enough for that. There were episodes where nothing happened, episodes that were an entirely different show, etc.
    I think people would have liked it a bit better if they just binged it for an afternoon, then forgot about it. Making people want to come back week after week with episodes that have no compelling "hook" will just turn people off. It will also give the people weeks to talk about how the show is not that good. If the show is in the can, and it's not that great, and it's too late to fix it...don't drag it out!

Tommytom and Sarge like this.
  19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I have not read the other comments since I'm watching the series for the first time now.

Last night, I got up to the episode where the writers apparently got bored with making TBOBF and decided to go back to The Mandalorian. Very weird. It wasn't even a GOOD episode of the Mandalorian. Half of it was basically an exposition dump (of stuff that isn't related Boba Fett), and the other half was a montage of him repairing a ship and taking it for a test ride. Why? If the show had 20+ episodes, it wouldn't be so bad. But with only 7 episodes, devoting an entire episode to the Mandalorian just seemed like a really bizarre choice. I like the Mandalorian, but still. I like Better Call Saul, too, but if entire episode of Andor is all about Jimmy McGill, I'll still think it's a bad choice.

So yeah, that's something I'd change.
    Anyway, two more episodes to go, which I'll probably watch tonight.... hopefully it gets back on track, since I was kind of enjoying Boba Fett's story.

(I realize this isn't adding anything new to the conversation since the rest of you probably already watched the entire series and discussed this. I'm just late to the party.)

20. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    I would have made the show more like Conan the Barbarian and each episode shows different parts of Boba's life. Young Boba and Cad Bane, Teen Boba in the bowls of Coracount looking for Mace Windu.

21. Tardigrade

Tardigrade Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2022
    That's interesting. I think I would have chosen to tone down violence a bit, and focus some more on the "game of wits" Boba could have played with the Pykes

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    One thing... Boba speedily outdraws Cad or used Lee Van Cleef's trick from his duel with Klaus Kinski in For A Few Dollars More.
    [​IMG]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    1. Get rid of the idea that he wants to be a crime lord. He never shows any interest in actually committing crimes. He witnesses firsthand the harm that is inflicted on innocent people (the tribe of Tuskens) by the spice trade. Spice trade is the majority of Jabba’s criminal empire. So he has no real motivation to be a crime lord. He seems to want power, but he wants people to respect, rather than fear him.

2. Actually make the show about bounty hunting. If the show is supposed to depict Fett as being a more honorable person, he’s in the perfect environment and time period to do so, while still being a badass hunter. Fett didn’t work for the empire because he loved or agreed with them, he just wanted credits. Now the New Republic is in charge, so he could just work for them, hunting down terrorists, criminals, and imperial agents. Boom, problem solved. Now you can have a story about Fett putting together his own company of bounty hunters, effectively ruling through respect, and all his character actions and motivations actually make sense. He still gets to a badass bounty hunter , and we can root for him since he’s taking out the bad guys.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    The Shadow Emperor and Sarge like this.
  24. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Oh yeah.

3. Don’t have any episodes with Grogu, Din Djarin, or Luke. Save that stuff for Mandalorian season 3.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    The Shadow Emperor likes this.