main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well the writer of the show claims Vader works better minimal. So he probably wasn't gonna have that role.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they took the series even more character driven for others beyond Kenobi and Leia a lot of people would complain that there wasn’t enough adventure, that it didn’t feel enough like Star Wars, and that it’s too slow-moving without narrative thrust. They try to balance both worlds and the folks who want even more character work for every character express they’d happily trade in some of the pointless adventure and action for more character work. I feel like this damned if they do and damned if they don’t happens a lot in new Star Wars discussions. If they lean into what Star Wars has always been and abide by some of the old formulas and tropes it’s derivative. If they take chances and try to be more bold people think they don’t get Star Wars and lament that it doesn’t feel like Star Wars but is instead closer to some other IP they’re reminded of.

Sometimes I think the Acolyte has the best chance of being successful within the hardcore fandom even if might bore the more casual fans that are usually also along for the Star Wars live action rides. It can have all new characters. It can get heavy into lore without annoying tons of people regarding canon. It can have more surprises since the fates of characters aren’t known. It can be what Star Wars has been before but also take more risks because it’s set a long time ago and around a different type of character.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Isn't it rumored that Acolyte will feature some of the well-known sith lords from legends?

Jediking97 likes this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Crap… duh. Well you get the idea anyway. :p

KyleKartan, LedReader and JoshieHewls like this.
  6. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    They don’t have to be related but it would help if they at least knew each other.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I want to see proper lightsaber fights with all of the inquisitors, including the one(s) who can totally die without breaking continuity, but they're running out of time fast.

8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think anyone expecting prequel level saber duels will be let down. In fact I’ll go as far as to say to temper expectations below sequel trilogy saber use. Nick Gillard was a genius and he’s probably one of the main reasons the saber duels ended up being as elaborate as they did.

My thinking is the next big saber battle will be slightly better than the first but will lack significant long shots where elaborate choreography is displayed. There will be talking between Kenobi and Vader and so it will probably feel a bit closer to ROTJ era saber fight between Luke and Vader in terms of choreography.

To quote Chow:

“CHOW: For action, I truly love doing action and obviously, I had done a bunch on Mandalorian, but it was mostly blaster fire. So it was a lot of shootouts. And then all of a sudden I'm going into a lot of lightsaber stuff. But I mean, for me, honestly, for this series, I tried to do the vast majority of it because it's something I feel actually is very important to do. I did have an amazing stunt coordinator, Joe Doserro who very much was with me. And we creatively collaborated on the choreography and got there and he definitely helped out on the second unit. But I think the thing for me that's always made action feel the strongest, is when it comes out of character and that it's not just action for action's sake. So it's something that I feel is quite important of making sure that the character and all the emotion is there at the same time as the action and the physicality.”

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Considering the training Ewan and Hayden had for RoTS I would think a decent lightsaber fight would not be that hard.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You’re literally just making **** up because you don’t like the character. That’s fine but there’s nothing wrong with the focus she’s received. She’s one of the main characters in the show.

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Sure but someone has to coordinate it and so far I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe the new stunt guy is another Nick Gillard.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They ought to be thoroughly self-taught at this point.

Chris0013 likes this.
  13. Darth Weavile

Oct 10, 2017
    Yeah, how dare I want the main protagonist of a show have familiarity with the main antagonist.

Sarge likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they're going to be adversaries they should know each other but don't show us the story of how they met and became adversaries because they should already just know each other!

Yanksfan and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    We don't need to see PT-level physicality in a lightsaber fight for it to be great. The OT shows that framing, atmosphere, visual effects and high-stakes are enough to get something great. I think we saw that in the Ahsoka episode of Mando season 2 as well. But Mando is a much better looking show overall than Kenobi has been, unfortunately. So, in lieu of some great athleticism - which I'd love to see more than anything else - I think they will need to step up their game compared to the first four episodes. The atmospherics of the quarry encounter in ep 3 didn't quite do it for me.

Sarge, Riv_Shiel and Fin McCool like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He does have a familiarity with her. He knows she’s an Inquisitor and he knows Inquisitors are former Jedi who now hunt the remaining Jedi.

KyleKartan likes this.
  17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    We should get at least Luke vs Vader level for lightsaber combat from them.

They really don't need more than that. 3rd Sister is the cop hunting the fugitive Kenobi because it will get her a promotion. That is the relationship. Even both being former members of the Jedi Order does not mean they have a previous personal relationship of any kind simply because of how large the JO was.

KyleKartan and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    What? No. We should get Yoda VS Dooku between them for the finale.

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I don't think either one of them can jump around like the stunt man they got for Yoda in that scene.[face_rofl]

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Youngling Leia vs Reva lightsaber fight, there's still time Kathy let's make it happen :leia::bluesaber:

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. And they have the more personal relationship between protagonist and antagonist with Obi-Wan and Vader.

KyleKartan and Chris0013 like this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Actually, you know what? I just rewatched the Order 66 scene again on Disney + in 4K from the first episode and it gives me hope that we may actually get a fairly solid saber duel between them in the end. Everything about this opening worked. The shots are good. The saber choreography is good. The lighting is good. It has a mix of locked off shots and also some solidly used hand held camer work. The blocking is good. It all works for me here.

It gives me hope. Watch it again if in doubt.

Count Yubnub and Def Trooper like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The Special Edition hasn't been officially released yet!

Chris0013 likes this.
  24. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    This. The best lightsaber duel is in ESB.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  25. Darth Weavile

Oct 10, 2017
    Then why is there so much more of a focus on her and her backstory than the other inquisitors?