main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 4 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 7, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 15, 2022.
  1. 10

8.1%
  2. 9

15.2%
  3. 8

22.8%
  4. 7

23.4%
  5. 6

11.2%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

5.6%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

2.0%
  10. 1

2.5%
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I seen alot of people overanalyzing Reva's character. Even saying she is guided by her emotions like Anakin. And i must be missing something because i don't see alot of nuances with her character. I get that many really want to stand up for this character, But its clear nothing is gonna be answered until episode 6 probably.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Slater likes this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    but this is in a secret location in a military base .

3. Sloth

Sloth Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 8, 1998
    It is amazing that Lucasfilm has such a screen writing problem.

I look at this season stranger things and it was so much better. Even with some spotty acting performances

there is no excuse for such a poor quality show to be delivered especially for such an iconic character

Rian did his best to ruin Luke and now chow is doing her best to ruin Kenobi

JEDI-SOLO and Slater like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    For now. This is still very early into Palpatine’s dream of a Sith dynasty. You hold stuff like this now and it is used later on.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Diego Luna was forced to speak English with his natural Mexican accent?

Sarge, Riv_Shiel, KyleKartan and 5 others like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    In what way was Kenobi in episode 4 of this show wildly different to you than in something like AOTC? Keep in mind he’s slowly getting back into the swing of things but in this episode he’s much closer to how he was in the prequels. Just older.

KyleKartan and Sproj like this.
  7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    As has been said once before. That opinions are like a***holes…everybody’s got one

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Some viewers disliking the screenwriting doesn't mean that the screenwriters are having problems. It just means that nothing can please everyone.

KyleKartan, Sproj, Yanksfan and 4 others like this.
  9. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I do believe there is development coming for Reva. Right now she was presented as the lowest ranking Inquisitor, willing to break the Empire policies in her quest to better her standing. This makes her hated by the others. Yet to be explained, she knows Vader is formerly Anakin Skywalker and, since she can put two and two together, knows how much capturing Kenobi would help her gaining favor from her master. Every development that comes later is interesting, but what we've got so far works in terms of motivation for me.

Same with Tala. Very little background for her so far, but what we've got makes her motivations understandable, and allowed empathy for her goals, I think.

Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I read earlier that Eps 5 and 6 were written by someone different.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Well, they could have had problems, and we just don't hear about it because speaking publicly about those problems is unprofessional. But you're right, just because some viewers don't like it doesn't necessarily mean the screenwriters were struggling.

I think it's going a bit far to compare Chow to Rian right now. Rian was very open about his plan to subvert expectations, to deconstruct Luke. I haven't heard that from Chow, and so far I don't think what we've seen from Obi-wan is explicitly out of character, aside from occasional sloppiness like surrendering himself and Leia to Tala before he knows she's a good guy. But little slip-ups like that feel less like intentional undermining of the character and more like mistakes that add up.

But I agree the writing has been poor across the board, and really a tier lower than Disney's competition at Netflix, Paramount+, HBO, etc.

12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It is interesting that Andrew Stanton (who is one of the most consistently strong writers in all of Disney) was selected for the final 2 episodes. It’s almost like those two will combine for one film in a way that they let him write and everyone else was leading up to his work.

grd4 and Jcuk like this.
  13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't know what pau'un thing means though I know that's his species. I was wondering if his midsection was already robot parts. But yes, you may be right it's not his ploy. It's easy to forget (for me mb) that this is a younger him, he's not as refined as he is in Rebels (yet). So this may legitimately be that Vader thinks the GI may need to be replaced. But I feel like Vader knows the GI is alive and that's why I have this confusion. The scene with Vader and Reva talking alone gave me the impression they are both hiding things from the other and they are both aware the other is hiding things from them. I think this is also why Vader didn't outright kill Reva in the last episode (apart from how if he does kill her he doesn't get the tracker, she did well to protect herself there). Vader knows something deeper is at work in all of this and I think he doesn't fully know what it is (I felt he was pondering it when he let Obi-Wan go). He knows Reva somehow has a part to play in it or is connected to it. The sad thing is that Vader and Reva do have this strange sympathetic alignment (as much as well that's possible on the dark side). They are both looking for... a truth, which seems like it might be the same one. "Only Obi-Wan matters," she repeats back to him. This is the secret understanding of which neither know what it fully means.

Sometimes when two ppl are looking for the same truth together, after they find enough out they start to realize they actually aren't looking for the same thing, that they are a chasm apart... and I wonder if this is what will happen here. Reva's answers might lead her away from the dark side. Although I could see it as Vader doesn't get the right answers in part because he's too wed to the dark side. I just don't know.

ETA the other thing I'm not sure if it's happening is this idea of a dark side master thinking an underling is too susceptible to the light, as the ST introduced. Vader accuses Reva of "weakness" and that means he's accusing her of vulnerability to the light, it seems to me... Like for Vader, what he needs to see is that she's evil enough... No matter how powerful and strong she is, it's not enough. She has to be vile and evil to be accepted. And so far these shows have not impressed um GI and 5th brother (though I'd add I don't think 5th brother or that other sister are terribly evil either... they are all together in the same hellhole w Reva... You have to be evil to survive, and each has their own strategy.)

BTW I really wish there was more Reva/5th brother. They have great chemistry and he's always in a tiffy over her actions. I love it and there's not enough of it imo. (it looks like i made the word tiffy up... but I mean he's constantly frustrated w her and really upset about it.)

Additional add-on (PS): Also Vader couldn't kill Reva bc all she did was what he did in Part 3. Only she did it with a tracker so Obi and Leia can't hide anymore. If he killed her for that he'd be calling himself a failure for letting Obi-Wan go in Part 3 haha. (I don't think that's lost on either of them, so when he says he underestimated her he's also saying, "clever," kind like she noticed of Leia when Leia is all, well I need to tell my dad first lol. But it's so sad bc is Reva looking for a father figure to support her, bc he won't, he just won't. He's the one who caused all her pain. :( But I understand, I would be looking for that too, sadly.)

And another interesting thing about this is that Reva doesn't seem to be like Vader in the sense of killing ppl for incompetence. She didn't kill the thugs she hired to get Leia after Obi-Wan defeated them. She looked down on them as incompetent, but she's not dark enough to kill them for it. She still needed them ofc as she had a new plan. But this kill ppl for incompetence fixation seems to be one she doesn't have. (It's kinda... a form of... mercy... and understanding...)

That SAID, she blames the Jedi for their failure to protect her. So she can go Vader-Narcissistic in a way, but it's so raw with pain that she can still come back if she can heal the wound.

14. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yes, it will be very interesting to see the differences between the first four ep and final two. I wonder if the final two might be a more streamlined, focused production of the storylines and themes we've seen in the first four, and I'm very curious to see what extent they can stand on their own.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They'll get right on it, right after they beef up security around that hatch.

16. Ody_Mandrell

Ody_Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    Ornate example to the stubborn ancestral fans. Congratulations!

KyleKartan likes this.
  17. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I just don't get why they wouldn't have only one writer (or team of writers) write the whole show, every part, from beginning to end. I would think that would cut down on any potential inconsistences and make the show work better as a cohesive whole. I can understand using multiple writers on a much longer running and episodic show like TCW but on (what should be) a tightly plotted limited series? Just seems like it could be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Then again I'm not a writer or producer so maybe there's something I don't know about the process.

Glitterstimm and Jcuk like this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Enjoying the series so far. And overall I’ve found the narrative to be engaging..
    But this Ep was just way too short at 30 mins I feel.
    I’m guessing that for whatever reason, it must’ve been decided early on in pre production that
    that would be the case?..I don’t know. I’m not at all familiar with how these things work..
    Perhaps that could be the reason Ep 4’s narrative (in places) feels rushed and not thought through properly?..

19. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Important to remember that this project has gone through several stages of development. Originally it was to be a feature film, before LFL's post-Solo recalibration. Once it moved to the tv side, there were changes to the writing team late in pre-production. I wonder if Stanton's contribution will be the original "core" of the project, and the early episodes were put together to fatten it up, make it long enough to be a streaming series.

Jcuk, Jediking97 and Cos Palpatine like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think you guys might have hit on something here.

Siphonophore likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Why didn’t they have Stanton just write the entire thing?..Commitments I’m guessing?

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well remember there was a report a year ago now that suggested 2 episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi were rewritten because they were felt to be too similar to the Mandalorian. and i wonder whether that was true or not

Jcuk likes this.
  23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    "We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and excited for Reva's story to unfold." -- Official Disney Twitter

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Revas story will likely be revealed in episode 6. I don't think its gonna have as many layers as some hope though. I suspect if there were layers to be seen, we would have got more of a hint of it by now. It may all fall back to 1 point (order 66) in the timeline thats basically where it all began.

I mean they could have used the last episode to give some parallels to Reva and Leia. and i know some people think its there. But if it is, its barely there. To the point where there is almost a reset button hit after each scene ends.

The Chalk Jedi and Slater like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. As I am someone who has criticized certain lapses in development in the show, short episodes feel like a missed opportunity for the development I'd like to see.
    Which is how I don't want it done. I don't like info dumps at the end of a story. Develop as you go, so that the audience isn't head scratching over character motivations for the entire show. Unless it's a mystery story, reliant on a reveal for dramatic impact, don't wait to flesh things out.