main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 5 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 14, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 22, 2022.
  1. 10

31.0%
  2. 9

26.7%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

14.4%
  5. 6

4.8%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This was a very solid episode!

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Uh, which one? He had several that stood out to me.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed.

Well, I didn't see this coming!

4. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Loved this episode! The flashback scene was amazing! It's great to see Hayden again! It will be interesting to see what Reva would do with the scoop she just saw!
    Too bad it's already the series finale next week! :_|

chris hayes, Yanksfan, Sproj and 5 others like this.
  5. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Easily my favorite episode so far. That was very intense and emotional. Twist and turns galore!

6. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I called it! I knew Reva was going to betray Darth Vader

I like how the loader droid was defending Tala just as K2-SO did in Rogue One
    "There are alternatives to fighting"
    Finally got to see AOTC Anakin and Obi-Wan

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Ok, well ALL of his scenes were phenomenal.

But I meant the one with the spaceship.

This was the best episode so far.

It took 17 years, but we finally saw Vader killing younglings.

The only part I didn't like was Reva surviving. I mean... come on. Just die already.
    Though with the knowledge she has now, there is no way she is surviving past Part VI.

wobbits, Sproj and Revyl Ren like this.
  8. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I think she's going back to Tatooine and warn Owen on what happened

9. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Such a good episode all the way around. I can't wait for next week, its going to be insane!!!

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Warn? Reva is NOT on Kenobi's side. She is still evil.
    She will go to kill Owen and his family, or at least draw Kenobi to them.
    She missed her chance with Vader, but she still hates Kenobi.

Also, "somehow the Grand Inquisitor returned"
    What a joke.

All the flashback scenes were perfection. All of them.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Initial thoughts:

- The open on Coruscant in the temple was a welcome surprise. I love this kind of story structure where the past and present sort of interact with each other while being separate.

- Reminiscent of ESB & TLJ in my mind. Similar escape and being hunted themes.

- They did a lot with what amounts to a "bottle show" using interior and/or pre-existing sets with few or no new sets. The writing needs to be tight for these shows and this one pulled it off very well.

- The young Leia actress continues to impress me. I have no trouble hearing Carrie in her speech, especially "Stop talking!"

- *THE* Vader scene was very well done. We see his rage without anything being held back. We seldom see this and it's always a good source of character for him.

- Excellent foreshadowing at the end.

This episode reminds me of the line from the old monster truck rally commercials - I paid for the whole seat, but I only needed the edge.

12. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Really dug the storytelling of this episode with the Obiwan/Anakin and Vader/Reva parallels. The Reva story, finally, was well told, and Ingram killed it. And loved the Grand Inquisitor coming back and gloating at Vader's side. I've never been so happy to see that goofy white dome head.

However, I still wish it was more focused on Obi-wan's psyche. His character, his story, is so damn shallow. These character moments with Tala are so thin, and have no bearing on his actions. Still too much Leia and random lame poorly-acted side characters, and the overall scenario of the Empire trying to breach the door felt like TLJ lite. I'm all for rhyming in SW, but it's just boring here.

Also, very weird not to do de-aging in the flashback. Come on. Do it right.

13. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Moses Ingram killed it this episode =D=

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Meh, her acting still looks fake to me.
    Ewan and Hayden's acting is far superior.

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Vader incredible

Obi-Wan incredible

Multiple flashbacks incredible

Tala incredible

Haja incredible

Grand inquisitor incredible

Pretty much everything was incredible

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    This, I agree with.

I can choose to take it as them remembering it that way, though.

17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Easily the strongest of the episodes thus far, and it's largely thanks to the focus on complex character dynamics instead of the contrived MacGuffin chases. The flashback sparring between Anakin and Obi-Wan was the highlight of course, but I was impressed with how thoughtfully it was intercut. Very nicely done.

As for my issues, the prospect of Vader discovering Luke simply feels very manufactured, unless Reva simply plans to go to Tatooine herself. But it just doesn't vibe for me. And technically, while I think handheld photography can work in Star Wars, it's simply way too overdone in this series, and hurts the legibility of the action more than it enhances.

Overall 8/10. Feels like I'm finally getting some much needed traction.

18. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I'd say that's the case. Reva knows she can't take Vader, and so she'll continue to shift her vengeance to Obi-wan (or the child of Anakin), and Obi-wan will faced with another opportunity to redeem someone.

I'd say there's a good chance there's no more Vader/Obi-wan meeting, which I'd be fine with.

19. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Loved Obi Wan's message on patience, mostly because a lot of Star Wars fans needed it with this series [face_laugh]

20. Darth MikeSin

Darth MikeSin Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2022
    Wow, what an amazing episode. I'd say this one, episode one, and episode three have been the strongest episodes so far for me. Everything with the flashbacks was amazing and everything with Vader was well done (loved his TFU moment). Couldn't believe my eyes with some of the things I was seeing. Definitely reminded me of TLJ with the Empire trying to breach the door and I thought of Ezra in the Rebels season 4 finale when Obi-Wan surrendered to save the others.

The way that the flashbacks interwove with what was happening in the present was really great. Can't wait for next week!

Sproj, Chris_Fives and Darth Buzz like this.
  21. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    That was great Star Wars. Exceptional episode really and some great performances

Fin McCool and Chris_Fives like this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    This episode bears my stamp of approval grumblebutitstilllookscheapgrumble

So the de-aging looked a little wonky, but so what. The flashbacks were great.

And yeah, the theory that each episode mirrors the corresponding episode of the 6 Lucas movies appears to be correct.

23. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Wait, I haven't watched it yet, but there is another Vader "THAT" scene after ep.3?!

As a Vader fan, I couldn't be happier reading this.

24. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Your gonna love this episode, plenty of Vader

Sproj and Vader0706 like this.
  25. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    I really enjoyed this episode. Really. Vader in his element is always great to experience. The only downside to this episode was the siege part. A few thermal detonators thrown by the Empire into the hangar bay door and it would have been all over with no Empire casualties taken. For that matter, the rebels should have thrown a few detonators OUTSIDE the hangar bay door and it would have crushed the Empire assault in its tracks. And really silly that the Empire / Vader wouldn't have had a few hovering TIE fighters to ensure the rebels couldn't escape via air. And for that matter, once the rebel ship fled, where the hell was the Star Destroyer to intercept them?? In the end, still an enjoyable episode. Can't wait for the finale.