main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 5 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 14, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 22, 2022.
  1. 10

31.0%
  2. 9

26.7%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

14.4%
  5. 6

4.8%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Seriously, half of the episode is Vader doing or saying amazing things.
    And by amazing, I mean very evil, violent, powerful things.
    Whether it's in the past or the present of the show.
    I don't think there was any digital de-aging. It looked like make up only.
    I really don't mind these things at all. Like, at all. It had to be shown.
    So you find a way and show it. Art is about ideas and concepts, not about worrying about these things.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Flashback Anakin: How do you do fellow kids?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader ripped a whole freaking transport out of the sky! If one may raise an eyebrow at being too powerful A) it's freaking Vader and he's ticked B) it was unmanned and auto pilot. Another thing is after the flashback the high angle shot of Vader made him look almost tiny and helpless.

Guessing that the show is gonna end with Ben having to kill Reva to keep the Like secret, probably right outside Owen's house and mess up a vaporator.

Y'know for a Grand Inquisitor tenure of about half an hour, Reva's accomplishments weren't half bad, led a successful raid, captured Kenobi and the Stormtroopers could actually shoot straight for a change.

When Ben told Leia "Good luck" or something that didn't sound like McGregor at all ahaha

4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed that episode. Wasn't pleasantly surprised by the Reva plot. The Vader scenes were wonderful, of course. So were the flashbacks.

Damn, Obi-Wan was cold though, used her just to get away.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He gave her exactly what she wanted.
    He didn't promise he would necessarily fight with her.
    It was the truth, from a certain point of view.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the perfection in the Vader - Reva fight choreography?

6. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yea I didn't really care about the lack of de-aging because the overall message/theme of the flashbacks and how they related to the episode were perfect. Thats all the really matters anyways.

7. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Yeah and it was perfect. She's clearly clever and has some force power but she is useless against Vader and outstrategised by him. He just didn't even break a sweat / spring a gasket, he wasn't even trying.

8. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    As expected, a fantastic episode. Setting up an epic finale next week.
    If this is not up to anyones SW standards, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Shout out to Tala and NED-B. Forever heroes.

9. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Did anyone notice when Leia was fixing the wires it was like in Empire Strikes Back when she is trying to fix the Falcon? Both scenes have a guy bugging her.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Holy hell that was a great episode! That flashback was incredible to see. I wonder about the timeline of it though. Is it before or after the Battle of Geonosis? I was too engrossed in the scene to notice whether or not Anakin had his prosthetic arm yet. I think a post-AOTC Anakin who is just coming off his defeat by Count Dooku makes the sense given the message of the lesson Obi-Wan was trying to teach him. Either way though it was just brilliant!

And I agree with those saying there is no way Reva’s going to Tatooine to warn Owen. She may have wanted Vader dead but she’s still very much a villain. If she can’t kill Vader then who is the next best thing? The son of Vader. Obi-Wan sensed it too. And remember what she told Owen, “Next time, Owen.” [face_nail_biting]

11. Darth MikeSin

Darth MikeSin Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2022
    If anyone at Lucasfilm reads this thread, can you give Andrew Stanton more SW stuff to write please? Like wow

12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yea they really don't even need to fight again for the "when we last met I was the learner" to work. The scene and flashback work perfectly for that.

Do we think Reva and Obi are going to fight on Tatooine?

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Also I’m really glad they finally showed the Grand Inquisitors brother. I was worried for a second they were gonna leave that unanswered. :p

14. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Definitely the best episode of the series but Reva's plot armour is so annoying, Vader should've kill her the same way Dooku got killed and let the last episode be all about Obi-Wan and Vader.

15. Jediking97

Jul 24, 2018
    I bet that is what happens in the next episode. Obi-Wan did sense like something was off at the end. He probably knew Reva is probably going to go after Luke or something.

CampOfSorgan and TadoFett like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think we’re definitely still getting a second fight but yeah this episode went out of its way to show Obi-Wan is still schooling Anakin. So the lines in ANH are safer than they already were.

Also I just love Reva and I can’t wait to see how her story concludes. I hope she gets a bit of redemption in the end. What happened to her is probably one of the worst things we’ve seen in Star Wars.

17. Jediking97

Jul 24, 2018
    Probably after AOTC. When Obi-Wan gives Anakin his lightsaber it appeared to be the Skywalker lightsaber.

CampOfSorgan and TadoFett like this.
  18. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    This episode was 10 times better than the last but let me get my few negatives out of the way first.

1. Gutshots doesn't mean death anymore. Plus I can't believe the grand Inquisitor didn't cut her head off

2. You still to do a lot of head canon to understand why Vader possibly let Obi Wan go in episode 3, it must be just because he was so disgusted and disappointed by him, but just a line of dialogue would still really would help that out.

3. Reva was much improved here but I still cannot stand her breathy line delivery as a whole. It was extra noticeable in the opening scene on the bridge.

4. The greatness of this episode also demonstrates that we did not need that last episode. It feels even more like padding now.

5. I am also sure this is probably already discussed but vader holding a ship in place and bringing it down was too much like Star Killer but on a smaller scale, a powerful scene to be sure but it just adds to my theory that the force is the ultimate plot MacGuffin.

Now onto my positives

1. The writing and acting in this episode were so much better from all secondary characters not named Rebel Spy, she was already good. Ice Cube son did a lot better, I actually liked the fake Jedi here a lot more, and the piece of acting between Obi Wan and reva, at the door was Pitch Perfect. Even though I'm not a fan of how she delivers lines her facial acting is top-notch.

2. Also love the fight choreography in the flashbacks and the Vader scene were great. this is the first time I was so impressed by any fight scene in the show.

3. The Stormtroopers could actually Shoot Straight although I wasn't a huge fan of the directing here too much shaky-cam but it was an emotionally powerful scene.

3. I like the callback to rouge one with the Droid and how the Rebel Spy went out.

4. I think this is the first time I noticed music one way or the another in the show.

5. This was still on the shorter side for an episode but I felt like they got so much more accomplished here did they get in the last episode.

6. Since reva is alive even though I think that was a mistake to do i am interested in seeing what route they go with her knowing about the kids.

7. I also think they did not use de Aging but the flashbacks were wonderful, and I'm not a huge prequel fan at all.

I will have to watch it again with my wife but so far I feel a solid eight to nine out of 10.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ [face_thinking][face_thinking][face_thinking][face_thinking][face_thinking]

20. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    By the way I do love the grand Inquisitor and his snarky remarks I'm here for those.

ukijedi, LedReader, Riv_Shiel and 5 others like this.
  21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    So, now there is an explaination to Reva's gesture during the Vader's massacre in episode 3. Hope episode 6 will provide information about the rest of her backstory - how she escaped the Temple and what was she doing before joining the Inquisitorius.

Overall a great episode, especially very alive and very snarky Grand and saberfighting in the flashback.

22. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Ha! That's what it is, the GI's voice reminds me of Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  23. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Jealous of you early birds getting to see this already. I've got to wait for the family! Attachment and all that, lol.

First impressions make it sound like a great episode. Gonna ride on that wave of anticipation and allow myself to enjoy the drama before nit-picking the joy out of it.

24. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Wdym by this. What angers me is that the line is ruined now since they fought when anakin is no longer a learner.

Is there a chance the finale completely detaches all prequel media from the SWT bc of too many contradictions, setting up a brand new episode 4 9 years from now with the 2 new skywalker twin actors

Like, reva kills owen or darth meets luke, which ends all possible continuity between the 2 eras. I'm ready for that, there are way too many inconsistencies already. Set up the multiverse

So, owk ep 1 and tpm are set on tatooine

ep 2 and aotc are set on a cyberpunk planet

ep 3 and rots have a fire battle

ep4 and SW have a rescue from imperial station

so what's the ep 5 and esb
    parallel

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Although I enjoyed the episode and found Vader and Anakin amazing this series really has too many facepalm moments.

The good "I am in heaven SW fanboy" moments:
    - Flashback moments of the training
    - Hayden....
    - Order 66 flashback moments
    - Vader, and when I say Vader I mean OMG VAAADER!!!!
    - Reva's youngling story worked
    - Wade is still dead
    - Obi Wan forcepush. I think I need to play BF2 later today
    - Grand Inquisitor

The facepalms:
    - of course it makes sense to use a heavy gun against a door that can be easily cut with a lightsaber like it was made out of butter
    - When Obi forcepushes Reva five Stormtroopers fall down. When the stormtroopers move ahead these five are still down and apperantly dead. When the first stormtroopers die from the shooting those forcepushed ones are not there any more ....
    - Dozens of Stormtroopers storm a cave filled with armed people, after felt five minutes shoot-out only about a handful of stormtroopers are dead.
    - Even when they literally stand next to each other they don't kill each other. Felt like taken out of Naked Gun 2 1/2
    - I never had any doubt that it will be MSc MBA Leia fixing that door.
    - "We need the transporter to get the people out there". Damn, what did they do so far. Why not take the other one when everyone fits into just one transporter....
    - Did Reva in the end really pick up the helicopter saber that Vader broke seconds before?
    - I still have headache from the permanent background noise called music although the episode was net about only 30 minutes long
    - As soon as Roken starts to talk the quality of the dialogue is like taken out of the Ewok cartoon series. Terrible character
    - Of course Vader does not sense that Reva will not die ...... or is it in the end that he knows she will bring him to Obi again???? In both cases predictable.
    - K2SO, Jyn, Baze .... I meant the fat loader droid and Ellaria Sand death felt (just a tiny little bit) worn out
    - One word from Vader and the transporter that escaped is destroyed by the star destroyer.

The series seems to be made by a master and a padavan. Half of each episode is amazing and the other half is just terribly bad.
    I'd give this one a 7/10 too like the last one but honestly I think I will only rewatch some awesome gifs from this series rather than giving it a full rewatch. Too many farfetched anticlimatic facepalm moments.

SlashMan, Glitterstimm and Slater like this.