main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 5 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 14, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 22, 2022.
  1. 10

31.0%
  2. 9

26.7%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

14.4%
  5. 6

4.8%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't think there was any digital de-aging. It looked like make up only.
    I really don't mind these things at all. Like, at all. It had to be shown.[/quote]

I thought there was some de-aging in a couple of shots. Maybe they were looking wonky for a different reason? Actually, I’m not sure I care [face_dunno]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. DARTHBALTI

DARTHBALTI Jedi Grand Master

Nov 17, 2001
    Did anyone else shout at the tv “because she’s holding a thermal detonator” before she blew herself up? I’m asking for a friend

3. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    This episode does imply also that we will get some more Owen and Luke and I'm here for that as well.

I still think this should have been episode 4 and that is the only real disappointment. To go from the great episode 3 to the abysmal episode 4 than to the great episode 5. There had to be a better way to connect episode 3 and 5 then what we got in 4.

LedReader and whostheBossk like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The episode literally hits you over the head with the fact that Vader even now is still the learner. Obi-Wan literally says until Anakin overcomes his need to prove himself he’ll always be the student and we see at the end that Vader hasn’t learned that lesson yet.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't know why you'd even contemplate that possibility.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, Reva has discovered the connection not Vader. And well I don’t think Reva and Vader are on speaking terms anymore. :p

Sarge, Riv_Shiel, TCF-1138 and 3 others like this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought there was some de-aging in a couple of shots. Maybe they were looking wonky for a different reason? Actually, I’m not sure I care [face_dunno][/QUOTE]
    Me when I saw de-aged Hayden in the duel
    [​IMG]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    There was definitely no de-aging in the flashback. This was basically Hayden in the scene.
    [​IMG]
    :p
    Not that I minded. Still amazing!

9. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I do love the line that Vader knew that she knew he was Anakin but used her anger for his own purposes.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I'm with you. As amazing as some of these moments are, they're unfortunately wrapped up in a story that feels like it has no reason for being, no vision, and so, their effect on me is pretty much the same as a video game cutscene. Like TBOBF, or most of the Mandalorian, I don't see myself revisiting this show, and they feel like such disposable contributions to the overall picture of Star Wars.

11. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    He probably doesn't until movie episode 5 at the earliest.

12. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    - If I strike you with a lightsaber, would you die?
    - It would be extremely painful.
    - You're a big guy!
    - For you.

13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I think this series should've been released in one go instead of weekly episode, it would have save weeks of "why is the Grand Inquisitor dead?"

Sarge and Darth PJ like this.
  14. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I don't know about that one I love the Mandalorian but past that, did we have to have this show no you're right, but I do feel like this informs us of Obi Wan the character more and his journey from General to old hermit in a new hope. It is a good character study but not a great one, but it does still help fill in the overall tapestry of his life so I appreciate it for that reason.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Just watched the episode.

Some thoughts

One of the best of the series. Most of us called it who Reva was and it was confirmed in this episode.

The GI was still alive (as I knew he was).

Anakin fighting Obi Wan as jedi was a prediction I had. I always knew Hayden would film scenes without the need of a suit or prosthetics or serious makeup. This was him now, no question. No de-aging. The man looks young enough that it wasnt really needed.

Vader fighting Reva was something I thought would happen considering who Reva was and what she witnessed.

Not that much Leia in the episode as the focus was on Obi Wan/Reva/Vader/Anakin. She did what she had to do.

No emperor yet. Do we think we will see or hear him in final episode? Will Reva go to Tatooine to seek out Luke? Looks like that.

In the new canon Vader finds out Luke is his son from Boba Fett (marvel comics) not from Reva or anyone else. Fett goes to see Vader tells him the pilot who destroyed the Death Star was called skywalker and vader makes the connection. When Fett leaves Vader stares out the viewport and causes splinters to appear in the glass through anger.

Overall a solid 8.5

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Best episode of the series so far. Good mix of action set pieces and character moments (plus the return of Haja). Would of rather Vader used the double lightsabers for a Dooku style beheading but that's obviously not part of the endgame. Apparently getting stabbed by a lightsaber now is just some sort of flesh wound. 9/10

Riv_Shiel and DarthFixxxer like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it’s more that like Maul and now the Grand Inquisitor Reva is using her rage to fuel the dark side and keep her going whereas a Jedi like Qui-Gon would obviously never do that.

EDIT: Watching the episode again and it’s clear Anakin has both his hands so the flashback is pre-AOTC.

18. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it definitely would've went that way for her if she wasn't meant to show up in the finale one last time.

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd say that was the best episode hands down. Even with the jarring disparity in their respective ages, it was really great seeing Ewan and Hayden together again. I'm surprised they didn't push those training scenes closer to the timeframe of ROTS, as that probably would have lessened the visual disparity. And although Reva's turn was kind of obvious from the first couple of episodes, it did actually make for some drama within this episode.

20. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    Im hoping they wont do a complete turn for reva, i like the idea that she is too far gone, and only cares about her own motivations.

Sarge, Riv_Shiel, Sproj and 6 others like this.
  21. darth orange shirt guy

darth orange shirt guy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2022
    I loved every bit of it.
    Vader holding back the ship was awesome, he was so powerful. I think he didn't do that in ESB to the millennium falcon because he was not fuelled with the rage of finding obi-wan.

Reva was amazing, even though we all saw it coming, the turning was well done. I believe Reva survived because she was stabbed in the same place Anakin did during order 66, so whatever healed her could protect her this time.

This episode was beautify done, and it even brought a tear to my eye when they compared happy ATOC Anakin, to Order 66 Anakin and to present Anakin (Vader).

DarthFixxxer and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    This episode tracks the Anakin story arc perfectly from over eager padawan to dark lord and whats interesting is when Vader thinks back its to when hes sparring with obi wan.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This was fun. I especially enjoyed Vader fighting Reva with no saber. And the ending was very well done. But man some of the staging is Saturday morning-cartoon level contrived (and the Jabiim situation was too much like Crait - not in a good way - what a damp squib of a set too). Hangar doors won’t open - Leia can fix it! Oh no, false Jedi conveniently fumbles and drops Obi-wan’s holo thing so that Reva who conveniently doesn’t die can find it and... There are ways to create drama around Luke and Leia being in danger that are more organic. These contrivances were a little embarrassing and indicative of a bit of hackery from Joby Harold - who I now hope isn’t too involved in future projects.

But all that negativity aside, there was some seriously cool material in this. Flashbacks with Ani and Obi. Reva being more compelling than ever. Vader being Vader in his prime evil form. And the death of Ned, and his protection of Tala via that slow lean forward, was quite touching. Almost as emotional as K2SO’s demise.

Enjoyed it a lot, but I do think some better writing could’ve really improved the show. And somehow I judge it as second to last in my rankings (with only episode 2 behind it).

But I’m REALLY looking forward to the finale. The show is doing its job.

24. BobasJetPack

BobasJetPack Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2021
    My word that was an absolute excellence in Star Wars TV, not much else to say it was just an incredible episode

order 66 flash backs, Obi Wan and Anakin, the twists and the prospect of a Luke heavy episode 6, no complaints whatsoever!

moxlox and my kind of scum like this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Magnificent Star Wars. Everyone gets their time to shine. I think this was my favourite episode so far. The Order 66 content was amazing, as was the Anakin/Obi-Wan flashback. Vader using the Force like a beast, and Ben getting to be a military strategist again. 10/10.