main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 5 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 14, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 22, 2022.
  1. 10

31.0%
  2. 9

26.7%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

14.4%
  5. 6

4.8%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. darth orange shirt guy

darth orange shirt guy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2022
    I don’t mind the Leia problem. If I was faced with that problem, I would let Leia fix it. I agree with the second point though. Even if eternals dude dodged a blaster then dropped the it, that would be better.

Sproj and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it’s because the Falcon was already taking off as Vader entered and thus blasted away too quick for Vader to concentrate and take hold of it. We see the same thing in this episode with the second ship taking off before Vader knows what’s going on and he can’t get it in time.

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Gripping that ship was a pure fan moment. That’s the stuff I’ve wanted to see him do in live action.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t mind Leia fixing it all. That part is just fine (and in episode 1, we learn that she’s into ships, so it was setup). It was just the “oops, the hangar doors are broken” setup that was just a bit too lazy. But don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed the episode a lot. There’s just a bit of hallmark ST-style staging that takes me out of the GFFA.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The hangar doors weren’t broken. LOLA sabotaged them so they couldn’t open.

Sarge, Shaak Ti, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, yeah. That sped by and I forgot it. Though Lola being a tracker and being quickly reprogrammed to be evil felt a tad cartoonish. That said, it’s still better than a simple oops. I think the way it was setup simply showed the seams of the writing too much. And so to me, it felt a little contrived.

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Omfg!! Just watched the episode… That was one of the most epic pieces of Star Wars we’ve had in over 40 years! Seeing Vader fully unleashed like that was indescribable. I’ve had that entire sequence on repeat.

8. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    In general I hate kids being able to solve all of the adult problems but Star Wars kind of created that with episode 1 and Anakin being able to fly a podracer and build threepio all at the age of 6. so it only makes sense for those skills to get passed down in genetics to Leia and Luke. Plus I do like the idea that Obi wan senses that she is a lot like her father in the fact that she can solve problems at a young age.

Also minor side note I thought the lightsabers looked a lot better in this episode than they have in any other of the episodes.

Also once again I checked out some of the fandom menace reviews and they're trying to push a narrative that this episode was bad and the comments or all like naw this was pretty good. so that's always good to see and gives me a chuckle.

this was to me a lot better than episode 4. I truly do hate episode 4 and think it's a dumpster fire on the whole. It was great seeing the whole team rebound after that. Do I have nitpicks, yes. Would have I liked to see a couple more civilians get killed, not just two or three, yes especially since it was such Close Quarters combat. Am I mildly concerned that they left Reva alive and don't quite get how they're going to wrap it up satisfactorily with her yes, that's actually my biggest question. Along with the fact that I don't know if you need them to have another rematch now, talking about Obi and Vader but then if they don't do that, the marketing for this show was full of false advertising. I will say this episode has left me with more intrigue than any of the other ones have when they left off.

Since I have been so hard on Moses and her acting once again I'm all about giving flowers when they're due. Reva with Obi Wan at the blast door was awesome from top to bottom especially her facial acting. Although the flashbacks to order 66 were a bit confusing did she get stabbed in the stomach there too as a child? I do like the idea of her hiding among the other dead bodies, that would really mess somebody up. Also once again I thought the humor of the fake Jedi was handled a lot better here and overall enjoyed him a lot more here. Same with Ice Cubes son, did not find him near as distracting. I'm also really going to miss Talia before this episode she was the best part of the show besides Obi-Wan.

Going forward it does look like we're going back to Tatooine and having a final showdown of some kind either between Vader, obi or Reva and Luke and Owen. What is the over-under 50% that maybe uncle Owen actually takes Reva out somehow. And it is also heavily implies that Bail will be there too. So many questions going forward that are interesting I just hope they can wrap it up nicely.

Shaak Ti and Sproj like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This was the best script so far we’ve had. You can sense Stanton’s steady hand on it, focusing on character. The training scene with Anakin was fantastic. I’m sure some will complain about de-aging not being what it could have been but as is the case with this whole show… I don’t let execution quibbles block me from seeing the good and that entire sequence was great. I loved that Kenobi figured out Reva an episode early and I love that Kenobi himself feels more wise, patience and skilled once more. Vader was an absolute badass in this! Just total mastery of the force. Pulls. Pushes. Lifts. I’m pretty sure Reva didn’t even get a single hit in. And the GI coming back was fantastic fun. Vader has learned from Palpatine how to play head games and was just using her the whole time. He knew she hated him. He could feel it and he used it. Tala dying was sad for me. I liked her character but she went out like a champ.

There are minor quibbles to be found again but I refuse to let a desire for perfection to become the enemy of me assessing what was otherwise a pivotal episode with some strong character moments and some Vader awesomeness.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    My head canon is the flashback takes place during AOTC. Right after Padme is attacked and just before Obi-Wan and Anakin are given the assignment to protect her. Seriously you could literally insert that scene right before the elevator scene and it would make so much sense. Anakin at least thinks he bested Obi-Wan in lightsaber combat which sets up their banter about him rivaling Master Yoda as swordsmen and Anakin is still a little upset by the gentle criticism Obi-Wan gave him (which is further compounded by their argument over their assignment when they get to Padme’s apartment) which is why he complains about him to Padme.

11. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I am really torn for the first time since the series began and I am sure the mocking will be swift.

The short length was disappointing again.

The flashbacks to Obi Wan and Anakin were awesome. The duel was more of the PT style fighting and I'm here for it. I do think they should have put them closer to ROTS timeline though if they were not going to at least use a little de aging. Hayden had to grow his hair out for the padawan style so why not. At the end of these flashbacks the following shot with Vader made me feel like he hasn't yet reached the point where he's distancing himself from that part of his life no matter how hard he might want that to be so ten years after ROTS. There's still an Anakin in there somewhere.

The episode seemed unable to decide whether they wanted to showcase Vader's intelligence one minute and then make him look dumb the next. They go from "It is not them we need to break" to making it seem like he'd defy Palpatine's order to kill ALL the younglings in the temple (saving Padme was his only concern/ he wanted the power Palps promised that started with killing every Jedi in the Temple) and let Reva survive? She just stands there, stares at him and he thinks, "Oh this one I don't need to kill"? That makes zero sense to me and does not align with Lucas' intent for Vader's character with the Temple slaughter.

I didn't think this episode did Reva any favors. If her entire motivation for going after Vader was because he killed her fellow younglings, yet she spent her life murdering for him makes her no better than he is, regardless of how the writers may want her to be a sympathetic villain. She interrogated Leia for information about the Path so she could locate more hidden Jedi to either kill or deliver to Vader. It doesn't work for me. She's a hypocrite. That was my initial reaction- I didn't have to sit and overthink it just to reach that impression.

Not to mention, it makes her look either naïve or dumb after serving Vader all these years and she thinks she can beat him?? Was she paying attention? Her ambition at the beginning of the series was good but this just didn't work for me. Obi Wan obviously figured it out so no reason to make it seem like she thought Vader would not see her betrayal coming.

Reva and troopers in the same room with a thermal detonator and survived? Not buying it.

Another lightsaber to the gut injury ends in survival? We hates it precious.

Moses Ingram was great in overall physicality of the final fight. Her hangar scene with Ewan was good too.

The fight was amazing. Vader absolutely knew she was coming and he toyed with her. Force mastery display was awesome. Stopping the lightsaber strikes, taking it apart. One of my favorite aspects in all of Star Wars is this fight combination of force skill and lightsaber technique. The ESB duel is my favorite from the OT for this reason.

Not digging the saber copter thing.

Loved Vader pulling the ship back and dismantling it had me jumping out of my chair screaming YES!:eek::D

I have no idea right now what I'd rate this one at. Aspects of the story lost me but it was great to finally see Hayden in the flashbacks. Still at little disappointed that more time wasn't given to Obi Wan's retrospection about events from ROTS as well as his feelings after the first fight with Vader. There's a ton of emotional potential there.

12. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    You won't hear no argument with me as far as scripts go this easily was the best, but for some reason I like episode 1 the best. Because of the slower pace and really catching up with Obi Wan and how his days are all the same

13. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Okay, now we're talking... That was a great episode! The fight choreography was a million times better than Ep 3.

If the finale matches/exceeds this we are in for a treat :cool:

14. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Or instead of that people could wait for the series to play out and have fun speculating instead of calling foul?! Where are the times where people didnt need everything explained in the first episode?!

Shaak Ti, Nate787, LedReader and 8 others like this.
  15. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Looking back it's starting to feel like that is true for me. Lucas' stories held alot of emotion and Episode 1 stands out in that aspect.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    As we see in the scene where Vader stabs Reva in the present, he apparently stabbed her in the past as well. Then he left her to die, but she managed to survive.
    ...and now, history repeats itself [face_party]

Who says they want you to sympathize with her? She isn't sympathetic, she's just tragic.

Shaak Ti, LedReader, Sproj and 7 others like this.
  17. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Absolutely 10/10 for me. Star Wars as Star Wars should be. Action scenes were fantastic as was the suspense.
    Vader looking so powerful yet weak at the same time was brilliant writing.

For those who can't do anything else other than moan about everything Star Wars if you didn't like this episode then it's honestly time for you to move on to something else. If this doesn't do it for you nothing ever will.

Again a solid 10/10

Nate787, juanw, CampOfSorgan and 7 others like this.
  18. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Well it had some good moments and some pretty... bad things. I liked the flashbacks as an idea, but in practice it could've been much better in many ways.

"Somehow the Grand Inquisitor returned" They seriously see no need to explain it anymore how "killed character" survives. Like being stabbed doesn't just seem kill you anymore. This would be believable in some isolated cases maybe, stab is lethal if it damages heart or aorta etc. but it seems that Reva is being stabbed twice and survives both times. It's like it's a new rule in SW that being stabbed doesn't kill anymore....

Vader pulling the ship down the sky was rather cool moment. Vader overpowering Reva was also rather cool. Tala's fight scene was alright. Stormtroopers even hit someone here, wow that's rare and demands good guys without character shield which are rare instances in modern SW.

I only now realized that having snowspeeders on Jabiim changed the canon about Jabiim. In EU repulsorlifts didn't work there, well that was old canon and all. Now they apparently do work there or at least on some areas. But why they used just Jabiim here, since they didn't even mention a battle of Jabiim or anything. It was a missed opportunity to respect EU continuity.

Reva's plan to kill Vader and the way Obi-Wan used this was pretty good idea. Reva is more understandable now, but not really sympathetic. She wants to have power for revenge, yet she is still antagonist. Way she seems immortal despite lightsaber stabs is getting old though. I want to see her dead in the last episode. Or do they plan to keep her alive and have to team up with Maul or something? I dunno, but irritating how people no longer die when they are killed. :p

Next episode they probably have Tala coming back and saying "I somehow made it". Or is it only bad guys who have this rule? Apparently...

And where is Dexter Jettster?

19. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Quick reaction from just finishing....

Moments of brilliance hampered by a lower budget and poor build up from a (imo)kind of a waste of an episode last week.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Battling with just the Force, and not really being phased. Picking up the sabres, then coldly stabbing her with the flashback to Order 66 spliced in. All time moment.

21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    As cartoonish as Threepio's head swap? Artoo's rockets? BB-8's multiple arms?

Sarge, Shaak Ti, Flyer75 and 2 others like this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I liked it but I was disappointed to see Tala and the droid go. Sure, it was emotional with the sad music and Obi-Wan's reaction but a part of me would have liked to see he survive all the way through. We also have confirmation Reva was one the youngling in the opening of the first episode and surprise of surprise, the Grand Inquisitor is still alive despite countless clickbait articles believing otherwise. It was nice to know about Reva's motivations in this episode and she's another example that people can survive a stabbing wound. Loved the Anakin/Obi-Wan flashback, even if only for a training session. Great way to use the Force for defense too.

Sarge, CampOfSorgan and RetropME like this.
  23. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It was bit funny how easy it was for Leia to change her back, just a restraining bolt or something like that. But that's happened before in SW. Droids have the will of their own, but they can be restrained to follow other orders.

Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  24. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I think that's correct I don't think they're trying to redeem her but make you understand her motivations, like what they did with Maul in all the animated shows. She knew she couldn't kill vader one-on-one. she was hoping that his rage would allow her to slip the saber in from the back, of course it didn't happen. Like I said leaving her alive seemed a little bit forced to me if nothing else the grand Inquisitor should have cut her head off. Also obi wan kind of got his Palpatine on by using Reva for his own purposes, and to buy them time. Kind of evil when you think about it LOL. I'm sure she hates all of them now

25. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I missed the part where he stabbed her as a youngling, but that makes it another survival after being stabbed in the gut with a lightsaber. The earlier explanation for the GI surviving it was that he was a different species. Ok. Whatever. But at this point they now have Reva surviving it twice? Sorry it doesn't work for me.

Sympathetic, tragic. Either way her character story didn't connect with me.