main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The “death” problem

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by SeparatistFan, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Maul was a sith lord, making him different from almost everybody else in the GFFA, so if it was just him or another sith lord I don't think that's too big a deal. Lucas had been hinting up the "unnatural" death->life rebirth back in the OT with Vader, and the Dark Empire comics did it pretty well too. I wouldn't have done it with Maul because he's better as a mysterious hitman than a tragic demon and Ventress was more interesting in TCW, so she could have filled his airtime.

I welcome it, if they need to somehow return every actor still alive before they can start making movies again then let's go, fast and loose.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That would be a meaningful caveat if the villain of literally every single Star Wars film was not ultimately a Sith Lord. This is a bit like having a life jacket that only works when completely dry.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  3. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Maul's resurrection / staying alive would be fine if it was isolated and unique. Having someone survive what should be a clear death every other day is annoying and cheapens it.

Valiowk, Def Trooper, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What's ironic, is that Mace Windu surviving that YEET from the window makes far more sense than a dozen other survivals we have seen in the Disney years.
    And somehow people would riot if he was proven to be alive, yet accept so many nonsensical fake deaths.

Admittedly, Mace Windu's return would have very little interest narratively, and would raise more eyebrows and questions than it would help write anything interesting.

Sarge, Valiowk, SlashMan and 2 others like this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    He was electrocuted to death and fell a few kilometers. That's about the most definitive death you could possibly get, outside of maybe Tarkin, or Han Solo dying on a planet that exploded soon after. Mace Windu surviving wouldn't make any sense at all, nor would it be less nonsensical than any return in the "Disney years".

Funnily enough, didn't Lucas end up having him cut in half precisely so that his death would be definitive, to prevent another Boba Fett situation?
    He kind of shot himself in his own foot by bringing him back later on. Even considering how well Maul's later storylines may have worked on their own, bringing him back was still a terrible idea.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    First of all, you are wrong, he was not electrocuted to death. He is still quite alive as he is being launched out the window.
    Second, you seem to be underestimating what a kilometer is. He may have landed on a balcony across.
    Certainly more feasible than being impaled with a lightsaber through your vital organs and surviving.
    Or being blown to particles and energy in a nuclear reaction, like Palpatine.
    Boba Fett falling into the mouth of a huge beast. Darth Maul obviously. And the list goes on.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Def Trooper and Sproj like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He stops screaming before he's launched out the window, so if not dead, then unconscious. And Jedi who are unconscious can't use the Force to slow high falls.
    Seeing as the buildings on Coruscant are several kilometers high (some reaching 6,000 meters), there's nothing suggesting he didn't fall that far.
    Palps did physically die though. His body was destroyed. His spirit lived on, and moved into a clone vessel. The same as in Dark Empire, and several other EU works about the Sith.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    He gives out one last scream as he is being launched. Not necessarily unconscious.
    We do not see his fall. There's nothing to suggest he did go all the way down to the surface.
    All I am saying, and I am right, is that if Disney were to bring Mace Windu back, it would be far more plausible than lost of other "dead" that were brought back.

Anyway, what a pointless conversation. [face_laugh]
    I would find Mace Windu's "survival" far less surreal than the stuff we have seen, especially all the impaling in Kenobi.

SlashMan, Def Trooper and Sproj like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    To be fair, so would I, purely technically. But his survival would undermine the scene of Anakin's fall to the point that it would be a worse return than the others.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Death fake outs haven gone too far at this point.

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Have or haven't? [face_thinking]

DarthFixxxer and Sproj like this.
  12. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I can't wait for the one we've all been waiting for, Aayla Secura not dying from all those blaster shots.

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I just sort of think dark siders are sort of like zombies now where you have to go for the head to kill them. Unless they willingly let go of life and pass on like Vader or Maul

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Have. :)

Would be a funny opinion, though, if I felt that Lucasfilm wasn’t doing enough of it.

Riv_Shiel and DarthFixxxer like this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I blame the whole fake-out death thing on Michael Culver, if what I hear about Captain Needa is true... :)

Sarge likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Fake-out death have indeed gone too far in this franchise. Luke survived not having those units up by midday. He even survived Yoda’s root lead soup. To make matters worse, Leia survived being in close proximity to Luke after the latter had been wearing the same outfit for months, and even working out in it. This kind of stuff is really getting preposterous.

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Anakin and Padme’s relationship survived past the “I killed all the children like animals”

18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Not all of them for surely, probably only the ones who wants revenge for cheap-shotting.

Grand Inquisitor got cheap-shotted, so him trying to survive by wanting revenge makes sense. Maul was also got cheap-shotted when he thought the duel was over and Obi-Wan was unarmed, didn't expect Obi-Wan using Qui-Gon's weapon.

Savage got stabbed by Sidious in a fair battle and died, as well as Maul killed both Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother in fair duels.

19. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I agree.

20. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    The problem I see is that the some part of audience is ok with some characters getting cheap-shotted, and they should simply die with their cheap death, and without the need of revenge for that.

- Maul got cheap-shotted by Obi-Wan, when Maul thought the duel was over and Obi-Wan was unarmed, he surprised Maul by using Qui-Gon's weapon. Maul is the personification of revenge, and if someone is going to be pissed off for getting cheap-shotted, it should've been Maul.

- Grand Inquisitor got cheap-shotted by Reva without having a proper fair duel between the two, it's natural that Grand Inquisitor wanted revenge and that gave him more power.

- Palpatine got cheap-shotted by Vader from behind, without having a proper confrontation. Palpatine wanting revenge for that cheap death is natural, the need of revenge also gave him more power to survive.

I think the difference here is that only strong dark side users who gets cheap-shotted manages to survive, because that really pisses them off. Without having a proper fight, they shouldn't die. They want revenge.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Being cut in half and surviving occurred before Maul, with Maw in the 1997 EU game called Jedi Knight. Maw was basically an equivalent of a Inquisitor that was trained and served under Jarec - essentially the GI .

Plaguis was cheap shotted by Sidious since he was murdered in his sleep remember. Sidious always feared that Plagueis would have the last laugh and strike from beyond the grave. Sidious also suspected that Plagueis left out some parts of transference on purpose.

I think The Force Unleashed might be a better example of surving apparent lethal thrust and stab killing blows. But Vader's stab wounds to Galen were deliberately non fatal and surgically precision aimed plus he was given all sorts of medical aid rather quickly afterwards. On top of that Galen Marek was an exceptional Force user and Dark Sider.

What Maul did to Jinn was called Shiak, at least in the EU. Its a killing blow . Sith Lords used it a lot including Sidious on Agen Kolar(now I wonder if he's alive somewhere,lol).

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Shiak

Its a common kill by Sith Lords and Jedi. Maul seemed to have preferred it as he stabbed that Twi'lek Jedi to death on TCW. He also used it on Eldra Kaitis in the Marvel comic too. He always delivered clean swift kills.

Maul was not stabbed, but survived like Vader very lethal wounds that would've killed ordinary Force users, but they are extraordinary in ability and will power. Maul also used his Sith Lord training taught to him by Sidious and Vader was quickly salvaged by Darth Sidious and Clones.

On top of that in both cases, Kenobi left them for dead and it ended up biting him in the rear.

Reva's attack on The Grand Inquisitor was indeed supposed to be a killing blow. She was even confident that would kill him and did kill him which was confirmed by Vader . So apparently its all a ruse. What the silly show seems to want to convey is basically both the Grand Inquisitor and Vader(presumably also Sidious I guess) were ahead of Reva and anticipated her moves and even working her ambitions to their own gain. So somehow he prepared himself for this stab wound,lol. Somehow the Grand Inquisitor survived and got medical attention and used the Dark Side and all of that kinda thing.

Why she never finished him off is odd, but apparently she wanted him to suffer a little out've spite and/or just the move itself often takes a little time for them to die like Jinn. But this character is basically second only to Vader and he was held in the good graces of the Emperor since he hand picked him prior to ROTS at some point. But those seconds or even minutes left to the GI to die could've blown up in her face(which it did) since am sure the GI has communication devices. In the end it didnt make any sense and was dumb if not just sloppy.

Vader delivering an almost identical killing blow to Reva, seemed to be simply payback for the GI and to again I guess to make her a suffer before death. But similar problems arise. Plot contrivances aside, she is a trained Dark Sider, certainly her holding on for aid or whatever would repeat the GI's survival. Vader leaving her alive just never made any sense, same thing for the GI just leaving her there when both of these villains know better in both their experience and their styles.

In the end though, Reva is a trained Dark Jedi type, and the Inquisitors maiming and betraying or killing eachother since their origins. So for either Vader or the Grand Inquisitor to be surprised would not many sense. Its their training. The Inquisitors are even potential Sith Apprentices, they're a Darth Sidious created organization allocated to Vader by him. Vader's training of the Inquisitors if going Marvel, was both aggressive and brutal, as he liked to have maimed them in training and he trained them to fight as Sith not as Jedi. In any case what she did and what the Inquisitors do is typical Sith replacements and surprise attacks to get ahead.

But her attacking Vader made no sense and was nonsensically premature and just so telegraphed on that planet the way she did. She should've attacked him while he was Force grabbing that ship, or any time while he was in his Bacta tank. But she had 10 years of planning and presumably experience. On top of that her lines with Kenobi didnt make any sense, since its implied by Kenobi that he was gonna help her fight Vader together but he ended up shipping off,lol.

I wonder if the leaks were from an earlier script, however still bad, there seemed to have a lil better storyline and character developent present.

In the end itss not really a Prequel/TCW thing, but a Sequel thing. Since they liked to have pulled the moles, the fake outs and phony or quasi deaths often - I also kinda sense Filoni's bad cartoony style behind alot of the bad decisions in modern era Star Wars programs. Another issue was that if both Reva and the GI can survive their fatal wounds, then why was Kylo-Ben dying and why did Rey have to save him with Force heal which could've been useful elsewhere in the saga before this. Lucas only gave this ability to The Daughter and it occurred on Mortis.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He clearly is inferring there is a haven for characters who have faked their deaths and are all hiding out there until they each make their surprise return.

LedReader, Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Yup, it happened before in EU.

[​IMG]

But I don't remember if someone helped him to survive shortly after his injury or not.

Also, there is nothing wrong with Force users having enhanched healing abilities, or even regenerative healing factor. Regenerative healing factor is a very common supernatural ability that most science fiction series having it.

https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Regenerative_Healing_Factor

If Star Wars has this supernatural ability, its no big deal. Especially the dark siders are usually stronger in the Force, so they can use this ability better than Jedi.

Maul didn't even use full regenerative healing factor, it was a limited version that he used, and he lost his mental health in return for his survival.

Also, Maul and some characters aren't even human, they are different alien species. We don't even know how fast some alien species can heal. Its highly possible that even without using the Force, some alien species can heal faster.

24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    And here I was, thinking that the Grand Inquisitor was indeed surprised by the attack, informed Vader of his survival seeking for revenge, only for Vader to decide to keep his ongoing recovery secret and play Reva´s machinations into their advantage. Those silly writers deceived me!
    [​IMG]

25. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    She didn't "fail him". She is a sleeper assassin, and she physically tried to kill him by attacking him from behind with a lightsaber.

Mostly Handless, Slater and 3sm1r like this.