main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 5 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 14, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 22, 2022.
  1. 10

31.0%
  2. 9

26.7%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

14.4%
  5. 6

4.8%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.6%
  1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I am not sure how are you deciding on which supernatural powers that they can use and which powers they can't use. Telekinesis, Telepathy are ok but for example Regenerative healing factor is not? What is the basis of this 'difference between using a power over great distance and reversing fatal injuries in a split second' ?

For example, in MCU, they invented time travel after some time. No one said MCU did some thing ''ridiculous'', its after all science fiction, same MCU that did many different supernatural events, and time travel was one of them.

What you are saying ''ridiculous'' is just a basic supernatural power in MCU, or in DCEU or in any other science fiction platforms, that most supernatural character uses: regenerative healing factor. Not only 1 character has this power, multiple, nearly hundreds of characters has this in different science fiction platforms. And to say that another ''science fiction'' series such as Star Wars shouldn't have this power, otherwise is ridiculous is ''ridiculous''.

Also note that, they didn't even use full regenerative healing factor on Maul or on Vader and on others. Those characters simply sustained themselves by still having their injuries. Maul didn't fully heal himself in that moment, he only had a very limited regenerative healing factor by using too much dark side of the Force that made him lose his mind in the end, he also used his dark side mastery to create those mechanic spider legs to sustain himself. It wasn't easy for him, it was extremely painful, and he paid a huge price like losing his mental health in exchange while surviving. They could simply give him the ability like full regenerative healing factor via dark side of the Force, and they could make his survival process much easier, but they didn't even do that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I am sure there is a book planned to tell Wade's life story.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I didn’t think Maul was healed from afar or his wounds were undone with regeneration. In fact he wasn’t healed at when Savage finds him. Maul had been using the Force to keep himself together and alive for over 10 years. Maul basically using the Force 24/7 to make a tourniquet. Even in his sleep - if he sleeps he’s using the Force to keep himself together. Maul has gone mad from the exertion and pain. My guess is if he turned off the Force Maul would die in moments. Maul’s spider legs are not mechanical but held together and manipulated by the force. There are unattached bits freely floating.

It’s not until Savage Opress lures Maul onto a ship and gets him to Mother Talzin on Dathomir that he gets medical attention. There Talzin materializes out of a green fog and uses her force magic to create and surgically attach mechanical legs and stabilize Maul’s wounds. Later Mandalorians make Maul a second pair of mechanical legs that attach to his torso with a girdle. The blinking lights and buttons on the girdle indicate it’s also medical devise helping to keep Maul alive.

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am quoting palpatine/sidious

“ The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to it be unnatural.”

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You seem to be under the impression that I am saying these things are impossible. I know they are not. Anything can happen in fiction because it is all made up. The point I am instead making is that it is stupid and poorly written. Stories like X-men have these elements introduced from the beginning and they are coherent in that world. Star Wars, on the other hand, existed for over 30 years before they started trying to introduce the notion that someone could survive being chopped in half and karate kicked down a bottomless shaft. Those two things are very different. For instance, there are some communities where people walk around nude, and some where they go clothed. Either one is possible and acceptable. But if you live one way for 30 years and then suddenly change to the other overnight, people will think that change very strange--especially if unexplained.

That's what the Darth Maul resurrection was. Star Wars becoming an overnight nudist. And the rationale was people being too lazy to come up with a new character/story. That's why it's dumb.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    A long time ago in a nudist colony far, far away.

7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9/10.

First of all, RIP Tala we hardly knew ye :(. She did go out heroically though.

This was a very emotional episode. I feel the series has an overall emotional vibe to it and maybe not as much action and that has disappointed some more casual fans who expected non-stop action. For instance herein we had Obi-Wan trying to save this group of people and there was a lot of how he was trying to not fail them. I feel he's wanting to not fail anyone like he did Anakin whether Leia or these people. We also saw a very poignant scene with him and Reva. I did like seeing Kamal again even if it was for a few minutes.

We of course got action when he was fighting the stormtroopers and he was cutting through them like he was droids. I thought wow.

So obviously the scene w/a young Reva meant something & came full circle. We of course know she's not going to defeat Vader. I mean to say she's not competition is obvious. Also, I really wasn't surprised to see the Grand Inquisitor. I know some people had an issue with the show's not paying attention to Canon but I wasn't worried. She did give them time to leave though.

Leia didn't do a whole lot here as opposed to other episodes but it's okay. We saw she has other skills.

Overall, I think we saw a good penultimate episode but that scene of Luke at the end....man I'm hungry for Wednesday.

8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    A Shot in the Dark Side - A Star Wars Nudist Colony Story

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Really? I thought most felt there was too much action and not enough character work for Obi-Wan.

Riv_Shiel and CampOfSorgan like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    A good, concise summary, @Maythe14thBeWithYou! I agree [:D]

I'll add that I love how the sparring session in the past is shown in parallel with the present. It's an impressively organic part of the narrative. Absolutely beautiful!

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He will return. I am pretty sure in ten years he will be iconic like Max Rebo or the icecream maker guy

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    **** Wade. He was a dick.

13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No I am not under the impression that you say these are impossible. I am under the impression that you know some things about Star Wars that other people don't know, so you can somehow decide which supernatural powers Star Wars can use, and which supernatural powers Star Wars can't use.

MCU didn't introduce us time travel from the beginning which is why I gave you that example. They didn't introduce multiverse, and traveling between multiverse as well, but when it happened no one complained.

Star Wars existed for over 30 years, cool. What do you know about Star Wars? Only movies? Who said Star Wars was only limited with the movies? There are many comic books, books in the EU, although now they are non-canon, did you read them? For example, in EU, there is a character named Maw, the guy survived bisection just like Maul, and it happened in EU long before when Maul returned in 2012. Did you know that character before? Or there is even a comic book named ''Visionaries / Old Wounds'' where Maul returned to fight Old Ben Kenobi on Tatooine, and that was written in 2005, again long before Maul returned in 2012 TCW series. If you didn't know then its natural that you don't know they already introduced that, but you think you know and you think Star Wars didn't have these abilities before when they had.

Or another example, Dark Empire comic book series. They introduced people who are strong in the dark side, can return from death as Palpatine did. So you think they didn't introduce that because you didn't know Star Wars. The reality is they already had those concepts before.

And even if we never had these concepts in EU before, they never told us it's impossible to have regenerative healing factor in Star Wars only what we've seen inside of 3 movies. We literally had Obi-Wan dying and the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi walking around in the next 2 movies. For you to say something like this, they need to clearly tell us in the movie, no one ever has regenerative healing factor in Star Wars, thus then if someone comes with that ability it doesn't make any sense and breaks the canon, that never happened. And again, as I give you examples from comic books and EU, they even introduced those abilities long before Maul's survival, you just didn't know it.

The problem I see is, some people think they know everything about Star Wars and that Star Wars should be limited with only the things they see in the old movies. While it never was.

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I see your schwartz is as big as mine!

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Though I don’t think the minimal approach to de-aging Lucasfilm took for the sparring scene distracted me the way it did others I do have to admit that this fan video is absolutely brilliant.

[face_laugh]

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought after Obi says "Are you ready" Anakin would say:"No, someone peed my pants"

17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I don't know whether that is humorous or horrifying.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

19. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Wow, beardless AOTC Obi-Wan is something.

20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Fans are just showing off now.

21. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    My thoughts exactly. The lack of saga music is so obvious and especially the imperial march. Every time Vader is on screen I find myself humming that very piece.

Jediking97 likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope season two explains why the GI’s head isn’t as long as it is in the cartoons!

23. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

I much as love Kenobi for what is and Ewan as an actor, part of me does not want a second season... But if Hayden is coming back for more projects, so could Ewan.

24. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, I don't want a second season either. I'm loving what we're getting, but even I think a second season would push the canon to the breaking point.

Besides, Baby Leia would probably have to stay home next time. So what's the point? ;)

Mostly Handless and Chris0013 like this.
  25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Unless we are looking at something on Tattooine...and I really don't want another show set almost entirely on Tattooine...then I find it kind of hard to suspend disbelief on Obi Wan running all over the Galaxy during that time.

So that would be another 'no' to a 2nd season.