main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The “death” problem

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by SeparatistFan, Jun 16, 2022.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Lmao "she failed him"... She literally tried to stab him from behind.

Mostly Handless, Elle-Wan and Slater like this.
  2. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I do agree that this "revival" thing with some characters has gone too far and needs to change for the betterment of the overall story. Whilst I am not saying that a prime character needs to be killed off every particular "series" that is released just to satisfy the overall story, I do feel the creator / director / author should have the courage to kill off a character if it progresses the overall story in a meaningful way; because no character should ever be above the overall story.

I'm not sure of the word I'm searching; maybe its ego - but that doesn't sound quite right. The word I'm searching for eludes me, but it would describe the reluctance of a creator to kill off their characters because they want their characters to be the new central characters of Star Wars - regardless of how it effects the overall story. And whilst I'm full of praise and admiration and respect for Dave Filoni in what he has helped create within the Star Wars universe, a lot of his Rebel and Clone Wars characters are now creeping into live action - which is great because I love them. But there lies the potential that Dave will keep his characters alive regardless of the overall story; a prime example being Cad Bane. If Cad Bane is dead, then I praise you even more Dave for having the courage to kill off Bane. But if he returns in another series, I guess we can chalk this up to yet another example of this thread. Because for me right now, I feel Bane's death was appropriate and meaningful at that particular point in the story. Bane was the main man for the Pykes and the Pykes lost the battle against Boba an Co - and Bane lost the main event with his showdown with Boba.

So for me, the deaths of main characters / main supporting characters at critical and meaningful moments in the overall story creates a better story.

3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    On the brighter side, I’m now somewhat hopeful that with a modest but persistent fan campaign we can somehow return the fabulous Garza Fwip.

#WeWantGarza

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ....And her sexy waitress

Sarge and Glitterstimm like this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I would think Reva would have some idea of the GI's anatomy, she's a trained killer and Jedi hunter and not all Jedi are human. In any case it still doesnt explain how Reva is still alive from a similar blow by Vader of all people.

At this point though its not even Force users surviving deadly wounds and faking deaths. It also goes back to Fennec back in The Mandalorian program who was considered dead by Djarin and left there - for only Boba Fett to arrive a little later and take her to a chop shop on an alien camel ride across desert - where she still miraculously survived and was revived by just adding some robotics.

Even with Tala despite getting beamed on Jabiim, took forever to die from a blaster bolt to her torso. Meanwhile Imperials and Stormtroopers in particular drop dead at the slightest blaster hit. Tala had no armor even. It was only her going out with a thermal grenade that did her in,lol.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What's annoying is that the writers don't choose death even when it is the best choice from a dramatic point of view and also story wise. Cobb Vanth is an example. Is it possible for Cad Bane to just shoot him in his shoulder? Sure, but why would the writer go that way? That scene serves to make a point that the stakes are high, and that Cad Bane is evil and dangerous. Then, what better way than by killing off a character?
    Instead they created a new lame character, gave him two lines that make him unlikable, just to later die in the place of Cobb Vanth.

7. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I think there might a commercial imperative that’s getting in the way of the writing, they can’t have big dramatic deaths when they need them because that potentially reduces the value of intellectual property.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As I said in the JCC thread, I have no confidence this is the case. Give it a couple years and she'll be back, complete with someone on these boards pulling out a diagram about how she's a near-human species that has a very different digestive tract.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    A near naked Boba Fett can survive getting brutalized, electro spiked knuckled punched to the skull, bitten and his back broken by a ovegrown wookie. Then the same Wookie survives multiple stab wounds. Poor Cad got the crap end of the gaffi stick by the writers, but maybe he not dead either,lol.

Djarin survives the unsurvivable with practically everything hitting him but thanks to his beskar armor he cannot be killed. All the while no-name Mandos had got killed by blaster fire and lightsaber strikes. Sure some explosion almost killed him from from a concussion or something finally but a little miracle Max bacta to his noggin and he's ok.

Its like very spoiled kids playing with action figures, allowing their favs to be survive , even come back to life and always winning the day deal with SW these days. Bunchve Lord Helmets....;)

wobbits, Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The timeline on Fennec’s situation is sort of a mess. Toro shoots her around sun rise. Not long after Mando finds her and with all his training as a bounty hunter and sensor equipment mistakes Fennec for dead.

It takes Mando until after sunset to get back to Mos Eisley riding a dewback. It’s night time when Boba Fett finds Fennec. Then Boba has to take Fennec to be helped.

At minimum she’s injured without medical help for 12 hours. But it took Mando all day on a dewback to get to Mos eisly. Boba is riding a Bantha.

Fennec said she was meeting someone in Mos Espa. We still don’t know who that was since Boba Fett found her following the flares Mando and Toro used as a diversion. Not because he was expecting Fennec. And Boba takes Fennec to Mos Eisly.

The Book of Boba Fett also seems to be playing with time a bit. It implies Boba found Fenec the same night that the flares were fired. The events on Mando play out where it has to be the next night when Boba finds here.

Lastly Mando and Toro tracked fennec down because she has a price on her head. What happened with the Bounty?

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah its all a mess really. Toro gave her some shot too, whenever I rewatch that I go yeah right,lol.

A lot of it has been kinda bothering me since TFA, first with Poe's fake death, somehow we are to believe he got thrown from the Tie(left his jacket behind), that he left Finn in a wreak(plus that quicksand) and somehow survived the desert and made it off world while the FO was searching for him.

Also Kylo getting shot probably should've killed him, especially how they amped up Chewie's bowcaster in that movie, and we saw what it did to Stormtroopers. But OK, he's a Dark Sider maybe, but then Rey gets Force pushed against a tree by Kyo which shouldve killed her right there really.

I would give Force sensitives some degree of leeway cause Luke surviving that Bespin fall was always a lil odd and PT generator platform falls. But then we had Finn, who should've died when he was sliced across the back by Kylo. Then Phasma making it off Starkiller Base to just apparently die in the sequel in a fall and another major disaster . TROS was bad with a lot of what they did. Its just all over the place .

12. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    In our list of returns from the dead I don't think we even mentioned Chewie, Kylo Ren, and Rey! So we have:

Darth Maul
    Darth Sidious
    Boba Fett
    Cobb Vanth
    Cad Bane
    Chewie (corny fakeout death)
    Kylo Ren (mortally wounded but healed by Rey)
    Rey (dead but revived by Ben)
    The Grand Inquisitor

Han Solo and Qui Gon Jinn got jobbed. All that happened to them was a measly lightsaber through the torso and spine. That barely even hurts!

3sm1r likes this.
  13. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Darth Maul - Mentioned - on the list
    Darth Sidious - Mentioned - on the list
    Boba Fett - Mentioned - on the list
    Cobb Vanth - Mentioned but it was a shot to the shoulder, so it is at least believable
    Cad Bane - Mentioned but not yet confirmed, so at this point doesn't make the list
    Chewie (corny fakeout death) - He never actually died, so doesn't count
    Kylo Ren (mortally wounded but healed by Rey) - Yeah add it to the list (I tend to try to forget these movies actually happened)
    Rey (dead but revived by Ben) - Yeah add it to the list but see above
    The Grand Inquisitor - on the list

14. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    IDT Cad counts, even them having the duel in the first place still isn't hard confirmed.

Yeah it probably happened, but even then surviving a shot to the head is something that happens in real life, and there hasn't been any attempt to actually pretend he died, unlike the rest of the examples.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I assumed both Poe and Finn were ejected from the TIE fighter landing far apart from each other and the wreck. Somehow Poe’s jacket was left behind.

Chewie had a Marion Ravenwood fakeout death. I guess that’s fitting since TRoS is the most similar to an Indians Jones movie of all the Star Wars films. Searching for artifacts, hidden temples and planets. Etc.

TRoS folds so fast on the fake out with Chewie. Its the next scene. Like the filmmakers were afraid audiences would walkout if Chewbacca was killed so reveal he isn’t before anyone could leave.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I´ve been around this thread too much, now I read the word somehow and immediately wonder "who returned now!". [face_laugh]

17. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    You missed C-3PO off the list. Maybe twice...

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If we count droids, then R2 counts too--several times as well. Also Todo-360.

BTW, Darth Vader belongs on this list (from a certain point of view...). Certainly Echo as well.

DannyD likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The fact that Han and Qui Gon were killed the same way Reva and Grand Inquisitor were injured, though the latter two survived is the part that frustrates me. So now, does stabbing kill in the GFFA? Or just maim? Or is it specifically a Darkside power thing to survive such a blow (including being cut in half like Maul)? I suppose I could accept that...

Don't even get me started on Rey and Chewie though...the "faked out" death of those characters really just robs the film of any possible emotionally impactful moment IMO...

But yes-please, just LET someone actually DIE!!!

...You know what I mean.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    wobbits likes this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    maul was fairly cut in half tho

21. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Updated List:

- Vader survives having limbs chopped off and massive burns
    - Maul survives being cut in half
    - The Grand Inquisitor survives a stab to the mid-section
    - Reva survives being stabbed by a light sabre twice
    - Cal Kestis survives being stabbed by a light sabre
    - Palpatine survives somehow being thrown down a very high shaft
    - Boba Fett survives being swallowed by the Sarlacc pit
    - Boba Fett survives a dumpster fire of a TV series
    - Boba Fett survives having his back broken by Krrysantan
    - Said wookie survives numerous shots and attacks and walks it off
    - Fennec Shand survives a point blank shot to the mid-section
    - Ahsoka survives an encounter with Vader due to time travel
    - Thrawn survives being on a broken ship pulled into hyperspace
    - Ezra likely survives same situation AND with a blaster shot to the shoulder
    - Vanth survives a blaster shot to the shoulder (at least this one is believable!)
    - Hunter survives a shot to the chest from Bane
    - Chewy survives a fake out death scene
    - C3PO survives a mind wipe
    - Luke survives ST character assassination
    - Leia survives extreme space exposure
    - Finn survives getting his spine sliced and diced
    - Rex survives a shot to the heart
    - Echo survives being blown up
    - Finn and Rose cannot die in episode 8 despite their best efforts to do so
    - Gregor survives being surrounded and blown up
    - Jar Jar cannot die despite being an imbecile in a battle
    - Cere Junda survives flying down a shaft
    - Kylo Ren survives a light sabre stabbing only to be immediately healed
    - Rey dies only to be immediately resurrected
    - Finn and Poe survive a tie fighter crash
    - Kylo Ren survives a high speed tie fighter crash (we all forgot this one I think)
    - Din Djarin survives being blown up
    - Hunter survives a fall from great heights (this is actually his second one)
    - Crosshair survives being burned alive by an engine
    - Grogu survives order 66 despite being helpless (this could end up making sense though)
    - Djarin survives being ingested by a Crait Dragon
    - Cad Bane arguably survives a chest stabbing (remains to be seen)
    - Mace Windu survives being sliced, fried and a high fall (remains to be seen)
    - Pilot guy in Squadrons survives pretty much everything (cannot remember his name, that game was forgettable)
    - Moff Gideon survives a high speed tie fighter crash

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha! Nice one.

23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    FTFY.

Sproj likes this.
  24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    When Kenobi used Qui-Gon's weapon he surprised Maul, which is why it wasn't fair from Maul's point of view. Maul wasn't expecting it and the duel was over in his mind, as he could easily get rid of Qui-Gon's weapon as well.

''At the Battle of Naboo, Obi-Wan Kenobi took advantage of Darth Maul's overconfidence to launch a surprise attack that left Maul cut in two and plummeting down into a reactor pit. However, Maul's anger, hatred and even the pain he was in were focused through the dark side, and the Sith was able to survive.''
    ---Source: The Official Star Wars Fact File Remake #024 (2014)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  25. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    There is only one weapon system in Star Wars that is pretty much guaranteed to kill whoever it hits, the Death Star super laser

clone commander bossk likes this.