main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This debate over what Reva was doing is an evident result of the writing issue of the show. It is indeed quite absurd that Reva could manage to know that Luke was Vader's son, and yet it remains the most plausible explanation, given that the alternative is that she just wanted to kill a random kid.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Owen: "What do you want?"
    Reva: "Justice".

It's only justice if the kid she's attempting to kill has any relevance to the person she's angry toward.

3. Ody_Mandrell

Ody_Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Reva resents the Jedi for abandoning her and hiding like cowards. This is clearly established in the show and I've already mentioned it a number of times. How does everyone keep forgetting it?
    She couldn't kill Vader, but she'll try to kill Luke to at least get back at the Jedi.

Mostly Handless and K2771991 like this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    We are not forgetting it, we just don't buy it as a good reason to kill Luke

6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Good reason? What would be a GOOD reason for her to kill Luke?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    K2771991 likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ Exactly, I am glad you are slowly realizing that the plot is super far-fetched.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The other aspect of dialogue from the show that I believe does hint at the fact that the water guy probably told more than just the location of the farm is the fact that when Owen pulls Beru into the farm and they make the edit to indicate a jump in their discussion has occurred… they make a point to show her ask, “How did she know he was here?”

That indicates to me that Owen has told Beru a line of dialogue prior to that which relates directly to Reva asking about a Skywalker or questions related to Luke himself.

Notably, she doesn’t ask “Why would she be asking about us?” “Or, do you think she’s back to kill us because she’s mad at you from last week?” Or, “Why would she be coming here? They found that other Jedi and killed him.”

Keep in mind that a week prior she directly confronted Owen and threatened to kill him and his family even before knowing anything about them at all. If Owen wasn’t tipped off to the fact that the water guy was actually asked about the boy himself he would have every reason to highlight that this woman put a saber to his throat and threatened to kill him if the town didn’t share info about any Jedi sightings. The water guy himself also doesn’t know Luke is a Jedi to be so the Lars homestead wouldn’t relate to Jedi sightings at all. It’s only a new development to them if she’s asked about the boy directly or asked about whether the Lars family has any ties to the Skywalkers.

He has no reason to believe she is only focused on Luke now after that prior exchange unless he was told specifically from the guy who pulls him aside that she asked about the boy or if the farm has any ties to the Skywalkers and he had no choice but to tell her about him or that family tie.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It does. As does Beru saying “how did they know he was here?” Of course they don’t mean “how do they know a random force sensitive was here?” And of course Reva, when saying to Owen that he loves the boy “as if he’s his own” is implying that she has knowledge of who the real father is. It is strongly, strongly implied that Reva knows whose son Luke is. Guaranteed the creators will clarify that too.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It would have been a bit darkly comedic if Owen had said to Beru, “I told you we should have changed his last name!”

I actually do think that the writers didn’t want to highlight how absurd it was in retrospect that he goes by the name Luke Skywalker all the way to adulthood while living in the last known address of Anakin Skywalker’s mom.

I suspect they felt that realization made aloud for some in the audience might lead to too many people pausing and asking aloud to their spouses or parents, “Oh yeah! I forgot his name was that obvious! Why didn’t they change it!?”

The approach they took in real time keeps the tension high, lets the viewer piece together enough, but doesn’t draw direct attention to that admittedly pretty poor choice on the part of the Lars family to not change his name.

The fact of the matter is that when Lucas first imagined Luke Skywalker he didn’t have the Anakin Skywalker twist in mind. He also didn’t imagine at the time that there might be survivors of a Jedi purge who saw Anakin Skywalker killing younglings before he has his suit on who know he’s Darth Vader and hate him.

For these reasons I think the writers took this route.

K2771991, 3sm1r and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Do we actually know that Luke went by Skywalker growing up? It might be a bit of teenage rebellion that he starts using his father's last name instead of Lars.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Rey who?
    Rey Lars

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There has never been any other name associated with Luke on Tatooine in canon except for the name Luke Skywalker. There have also been childhood friends like Biggs who later meet him again and don’t remark on any name change. The shopkeep in episode 6 also knows that the boy is Owen’s nephew. The Lars family seemed to be influential in the immediate area. Some older residents would know that Clieg Lars married Shmi Skywalker. Some of those same townspeople went out with Clieg Lars to try and get her back from the Tuskens.

Mostly Handless and K2771991 like this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    These are your assumptions. Beru's line implies nothing more than what she knows, which is that an Inquisitor is after Luke. Reva's line implies that she knows Owen is not Luke's father. That is all.
    Ultimately, I don't care as much about what the creators say as I do about what's in the story. The conclusion that she wants to hurt the Jedi because of their failure to help requires less assumptions than your conclusion, as far as I can see.

K2771991 likes this.
  15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Another small detail that ties Luke directly to the Jedi in some way for Reva is that the entire reason she singles Owen out amongst the crowd in episode 1 is that through the force itself she senses he knows something about Jedi. She is walking around and talking about how the Jedi don’t protect their own and sharing her hate of Jedi and immediately detects that he is hiding something and it’s why she targets him so. She says “You know something.” That feeling she had prior that would give her extra confidence that this kid had an important Jedi tie as well and likely was part of her motivation for returning.

Palp_Faction and K2771991 like this.
  16. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Has Sevander been confirmed as Reva's surname? I've seen it pop up several times, but it isn't on Wookieepedia.[face_thinking]

Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    No one's forgetting it, it's just incredibly half-baked, unconvincing, and un-compelling. Any SW villain could be said to hate the Jedi in the same generic way, so Reva's particular motive here isn't bringing a whole lot to the story than any other villain wouldn't. And as has been pointed out, we literally see Jedi protecting her and she knows they were wiped out, so her targeting of the Jedi doesn't even make rational sense from her perspective.

You can say "she's not thinking rationally", but that just shows how weak the writing is here. I'm left to conclude that she's thinking so irrationally that she's really just kinda dumb, which clearly clashes with how we're supposed to think of her. And that she's thinking so irrationally that her character has little to no internal consistent logic, which doesn't make for a compelling antagonist when they're motives are so haphazardly sketched out

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The main clue that she previously hoped that killing Luke would give her some sense of justice and vengeance for what she saw Anakin Skywalker do to her friends is the dialogue she speaks to Kenobi after she brings Luke’s unconscious body back. She states:

REVA: “He killed them all and I couldn’t do it. I’ve failed them.”

KENOBI: “You haven’t failed them by showing mercy. You have given them peace. You have honored them.”

REVA: “Have I become him?”

KENOBI: “No. You have chosen not to. Who you become now… is up to you.”

(She throws down her dark side saber and accepts Kenobi’s hand to rise)

Notably, it’s all about Vader there. It isn’t about how “The Jedi didn’t protect my childhood friends and I can’t bring myself to kill a child I know matters to you and the Jedi.”

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke: "But I wanted to submit my application to the Imperial Academy this year!"
    Owen: "Use an alias".

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Why is there an issue with Reva realizing that Luke is Anakin's kid?
    I am fine with it. I think that's what's implied. And it works just fine as a motive.
    The fact that Anakin doesn't know he has a kid (yet) shouldn't take away from her revenge in her mind.
    She is reaching for whatever she can get. Anakin's kid is a pretty great way in her mind to exact her revenge.

Luke: I... don't have a last name
    Imperial Officer: Luke... Solo.

Valiowk, Ithorians and StoneRiver like this.
  21. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    The Luke stuff could be worse, but it's frustrating how some folk seem to think if you can "prove" the story actually does show Reva knows it's Vader's kid, then that would somehow have made it a well written character/storyline. Same with lots of issues now that I think about it...like if someohow you can get all the dialogue/events in the PT/OWK/OT to line up perfectly then that determines how good the underlying story was, or some lines not lining perfectly up proves the story was bad

Valiowk likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What are your assumptions based on though? Mine are based on very, very strong hints in the script. It wasn’t spelled out 100%, but it was spelled out about 90%. The idea that Reva was after Luke to get back at Obi-Wan is simply not well-supported in the episode. Not least as Reva…has no anger towards Obi-Wan when she meets him on Tatooine. She said “He killed them all (Vader killed her friends), and I couldn’t do it (kill one of Vader’s own).” That’s what she meant, and there’s little doubt about that. She knows Luke is Vader’s kid. Otherwise, why would she want to kill a young force sensitive kid that has no connection to Vader?
    She had a burning desire to kill Vader, and short of that she decided to kill his kid. I wouldn’t have written the story that way, and I do think it was clunky, but the ending does go a long way in making it more coherent and reasonable.

Riv_Shiel, K2771991 and Ithorians like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Owen: "What do you want?"
    Reva: "Justice".

In this "Her motive wasn't to kill Anakin's child" metaverse, her idea of "Justice" would apparently be to kill random children because other children were killed. She could have saved herself a lot of personal pain and suffering by staying in town and just killing some of the children there rather than limping out to the middle of nowhere to find one random kid who also has no ties to the person she wants "Justice" delivered to.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The other nonsense explanation being promoted is that Reva found out Luke was being protected by Obi-Wan, and so she wanted to kill Luke because she…doesn’t like Obi-Wan? It’s absurd. But alas, we are doomed to have absurd conversations in this fandom.

Darth Downunder and 3sm1r like this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Forget it, Jake, it's the SW tv shows forum.

Ender_and_Bean and Bor Mullet like this.