main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought it was a Wendy’s.

K2771991 likes this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Do we have a name of the planet/moon where Kenobi and Vader had their epic duel? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

(What a surprise, another random place that has a breathable atmosphere, what are the odds?)

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You know... there is a really good chance Obi Wan used the scanners on his ship to choose a moon or planet he wouldn't suffocate on.

Yanksfan, K2771991 and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Yes, I am sure he did, this was a previous thought in my thought process, one that I wish we had already left out of the discussion.
    But finding a planet or moon with breathable atmosphere just around the corner when he needs it, is what I am making fun of.

I am not too bothered by it, this is Star Wars we are talking about.
    Somehow the amount of breathable atmospheres is 99% of the atmospheres of all the places that happen to be nearby :p

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Coolstafar.

6. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I agree with the idea that she was after Luke because of Vader. That being said, we must take into account that she joined (we don't even know at what age) an organization known for its extreme ways in interrogation/indoctrination, comprised by very bad people that are all former Jedi. She wasn't the focus of the series to get all of this shown in detail (we may very well get it in future content), but it's present by context.

[face_rofl][face_rofl]

Bor Mullet and K2771991 like this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The biggest give away of all that she knows the truth is that they repeatedly mention finding her in “The Gutter.” For those unaware “The Gutter” was a popular Coruscant restaurant that was co-owned by Kenobi, Anakin and Dex for a time. It has a comprehensive exhibit of Padme Amidala’s clothing from her time as Queen of Naboo, explaining how she would change outfits, makeup and hairstyles every 10 minutes. There is also a huge hologram projection of her from her funeral there and it is custom for patrons to guess the name of the child that was presumed to have passed when she died. The most popular guess by a wide margin is… you guessed it… Luke. :p

Mostly Handless and K2771991 like this.
  8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    It didn't look very cold. But who knows. Or maybe it was Mustafrost.

9. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Ok after watching all the way through again (Even better the 2nd time). I'm honestly not going to overanalyze it because she redeemed herself so she wouldn't be a threat to Luke or Leia after what happen. Luke is a force sensitive child. She's an inquisitor that an expert at hunting Jedi/force senstives. She did a whole speech in Episode I about what to look for. Also her going to the moisture farm ties into Episode I where she threatens Owen. So basically between the Bail message and going to the market, she got the info she needed to find Owen.

She also grew to resent the Jedi Order for what happen at the Temple to her and her friends. Now the argument there could be what about Leia, shouldn't she have felt it with her. True, but when she tried to use Jedi Mind Tricks on her, it didn't work. It just would be interesting with her figuring it out since Luke and Leia's identity is like the biggest secret in the galaxy (Obi, Lars Family, Organa Family, Yoda). But again for Reva's arc, and redemption, everything ties together once she gets to the farm. Everything changed when she specially saw herself as a padawan in Luke. I personally liked her story a lot.

Lastly the idea that Lucasfilm tried to make this Trilogy but Disney didn't want to do because of "Solo" Performance was a little short sided. You got Ewan, Hayden and James Earl Jones coming back after a Decade plus with all new characters and a Young Princess Leia and Luke and all new baddies along with Vader. Come on that sells itself as the sequel to "Revenge of the Sith". "Rogue One" did gangbusters (The Vader Scene word of mouth helped a lot). "Solo" didn't do as hot but in that case you are 1-1 at the box office. This is the story a lot of Star Wars fans have been waiting for seeing live action Vader in his prime and how Obi protected Luke and Leia for that 20 years. That's what this series gave me. This had such movie potential.

naw ibo, Valiowk and K2771991 like this.
  10. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Mustabeen.

cwustudent, Bor Mullet and K2771991 like this.
  11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I think I agree the Luke stuff was where her motivations finally manifested in a coherent/interesting way...the problem is that everything up until that point had been so unclear and poorly developed that the Luke stuff didn't feel as earned & dramatic the way it clearly was supposed to

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I already told you. I won't keep walking in a circle for you. Let's drop this.

K2771991 likes this.
  13. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This might sound like something Ric Olié would say, but details like Luke going by the name Skywalker and Ben renaming himself, of all things, Ben Kenobi are not the series´ writers fault. They had to work around it, and since we know of this since 1977, it's not like we are to be surprised by it. There are flaws to be found in writing of the series itself, sure, sure, but there was also a conscious effort to fill some of those earlier gaps, just like Rogue One strived to do. In many ways, in my opinion, they succeeded.

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Owen: "You wanna meet him?"

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  16. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    "Only after we deal with those extraneous limbs."
    "Like you dealt with Anakin's?"

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Obi Wan can finally retort with "Your limbs will make a fine addition to my collection".

18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I knew Disney would retcon Obi-Wan into a horror-type slasher villain!

19. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    If this is an issue for you, it's certainly not one caused by the Obi-Wan Kenobi series. If Obi-Wan going to "serve Bail" in the sense you seem to be assuming, he would have had to do it in the Prequel. In which case this issue with her message existed without The OWK series. Leia made her message very formal in ANH which is easily explained by the fact that this is STILL an official mission from one of the leaders of the Rebellion and she is a Senator. She isn't doing this mission as a personal friend, though this is part of it, which comes through in the end of her message where she is still formal but makes a personal entreaty.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    She makes it a bit personal by saying that "you served my father during the Clone Wars" and other lines like that.

But as you correctly say: she is keeping a sense of decorum and formality to it all.

K2771991 likes this.
  21. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Bail was part of the Senate and the Jedi served the Senate, so "served under my father during the Clone Wars" is still technically sound

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "He served me well during the Clone Wars." -- Bail Organa in Rogue One.

23. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    How is it nonsense? She see's Bail's message about a child they are protecting on Tattoine. She doesn't know exactly who this child is but she goes to Tattoine and makes some inquiries because it's a child important to Bail and Obi-Wan and may still somehow help her in her quest, may give her another shot at Vader because child is important to Obi-Wan, Vader is obsessed with Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan will eventually show up and maybe so will Vader. So she starts asking questions and finds out about the Larses, the guy she had a run in just a week or so before who she felt seemed to know something about a Jedi, maybe it wasn't the Jedi she killed but Obi-Wan Kenobi. Lo and behold they happen to have a child named, not Luke Lars but Luke SKYWALKER, which she would know very well was Anakin's last name.

cwustudent and K2771991 like this.
  24. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Alright, I said the other day I’d write down my criticisms for the sake of good faith.
    • The lightsaber chorography was'nt super great when Obi-Wan was attacking the Inquistor base.
    • The SFX, overall, was'nt up to snuff with the other LA shows.
    • I was hoping we would get more time with Luke and some actual exploration of his youth, and I was suprised the Lars were featured so little.
    • As much as I loved the Obi-Wan/Vader fight, part of me wished it had ended with Vader wining and Obi-Wan limping away injured enough that Vader assumes he will "die in a hole" or something (to sort of set up Tarkin's "surely he must be dead by now?")
    • The lightsabers were a bit to bright and came off sorta like those high quality FX lightsabers (this was a problem I was having trouble nailing down and vocalizing until I watched Caravan of Garbage's review and they brought it up the way I am)
    • I wish Haja had been a younger Lor San Takka.
    When I first signed onto this forum it was to vent about the aspects of TROS that disappointed me but, guess what? I never pretended the movie "ruined" Star Wars and I was pretty congnizent that my issues were subjective; heck, in short order I even came to accept (or even like) most of the things I disliked.

I don't understand letting the dislike of something rule you.

And I think that's exactly what they've started to do; TROS seems to have demonstrate the futility of trying to please everyone and proved that pandering to people who are upset doesn’t accomplish anything when said people's desire is to be upset (save for to upset other people who were not upset before), and increased inclusion of diverse characters/the strong pushback against Ingram's treatment indicates they've pretty much written off the more extreme elements of TPM and decided to directly challenge them.

It was'nt just any Imperial base; it was the Inquisitorius secret base that the public doesn’t even know exists. The Empire isn’t going to publize something so humiliating as a Jedi infiltrating (and then escaping) a secret, secure blacksite with the aid of a mole.

So no, everybody in the Empire shouldn’t (and wouldn’t) know that they knew each other.

• A - I'm pretty sure that was the dropship he took from Rokan's ship, not a public transport (either way, he was the only one on it).
    • B - As far as we know there's no Imperial presence on Alderaan (and I'm sure the Organas, between their rebel network and whatever intelligence/police services Alderaan has, were pretty throughout about combating ISB/Imperial Intelligence agents that might show up), and that was probably a private landing pad since, I believe, it's the same one Breha's sisters family used in the premier.
    The cake is a lie:p

Agreed, welcome to the family,

The farm where Anakin's mother lived when she was married to Owen's father, no less.

CHO: I'm the one who asked the Senate to protect this planet. This wasteland belongs to us!
    KENOBI: With all due respect, Chairman, this is for the Senate to decide, not us.
    CHO: Ah, but the Jedi report to the Senate, which is Senator Chuchi of Pantora.
    • From TCW S1E15 (good thing I watched this last night or the line probably wouldn’t have occurred to me!:D)
    It's not a stretch or a technicality; it's outright said - the Jedi are under the authority of the senate and senators outrank them.

While I agree with you that the show was telling us that she was lashing out at Obi-Wan, I *do* think that it's not hard to imagine she got more information then what we saw from the water merchant (at the very least she learned that Luke wasn’t Owen's kid, since she obviously knows that when she attacks despite the fact in their prior conversation she specifically asks if he has children and he doesn’t indicate otherwise); certainly the information about Luke surname and the Lars relationship to the Skywalkers wouldn’t be a secret amid the local community.

To be fair, I've been re-watching TCW and their relationship is an example of "we're trying to be covert but not really succeeding" - heck, even C3P0 is better at keeping the whole thing under wraps then they are.

She's angry at Obi-Wan too; in part because he trained Anakin so "justice" works here as well.

"Who was that Jedi?"
    "Mustaben Kenobi..."

It actually is on wookiepedia, all the way down on the bottom in "apperances."

It's evidently from the automatic captioning of a youtube video that Disney+ posted, but has yet been confirmed as offical.

Reepicheep775 and TadoFett like this.
  25. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I was thinking she made it person when she said "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope".