main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 6 (Series Finale!!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jun 21, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jul 6, 2022.
  1. 10

46.6%
  2. 9

23.7%
  3. 8

8.7%
  4. 7

8.2%
  5. 6

5.9%
  6. 5

3.7%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

1.4%
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    See above:

When the definition of one word is literally used as the definition of the other and both words are defined as prepared.

And it’s kind of irrelevant isn’t it when Luke says “can’t?”

This is what I’m talking about mental gymnastics and splitting hairs to try to get evidence to support an existing view vs looking at what evidence is there to generate a viewpoint

Doesn’t matter if you want to use willing, ready, or prepared in the sentence. Luke is none of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Obi-Wan absolutely was ready to kill Vader in Part VI. He doesn’t because Vader is soundly defeated and is no longer a threat. He isn’t going to strike down an incapacitated enemy. That’s the difference between Obi-Wan a Jedi and Anakin (who killed an unarmed Count Dooku) a Sith.

Vasco_Rojo, Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Vader is absolutely still a threat to everyone in the Galaxy.

Riv_Shiel and TaradosGon like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He’s not a threat to Obi-Wan. If Obi-Wan were to kill him he’d be doing it out of fear, anger, aggression. He himself would then be in danger of falling to the dark side and Obi-Wan is unwilling to go down that path just like Luke in ROTJ.

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”

TCF-1138 likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Are they not guardians of peace and justice? Justice was not served and cannot be served if the only question the Jedi ask are “is this a threat to me as an individual?” That seems selfish.

The Galaxy can burn, but because Vader was injured Obi-Wan cannot harm him further, though he’s actively making threats on Obi-Wan’d life and will continue to cause pain and suffering?

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    How noble of him.
    He did not have to kill him in "fear, anger, aggression." Vader was still willing to fight him. Just defend yourself.
    Or do not kill him. Pack him onto your shuttle and deliver him to Rebel operatives. Or do something.
    But they can't do anything. Because the OT. Because nothing else could be done, and you are left with questioning the sanity of everyone involved.
    I guess Vader killing Palpatine in RotJ was not in anger, fear, aggression. He just calmly picked him up and threw him down the Death Star shaft. In complete and utter Jedi serenity =D=

Riv_Shiel and TaradosGon like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If Obi-Wan kills Vader and falls to the dark side he’d be replacing one Dark Lord with another and the galaxy would still suffer.

8. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    [​IMG]
    "Blast those non-force sensitive plebs. Pathetic life-forms." — Obi-Wan Kenobi, 9BBY

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Palpatine tried to run from Yoda. Yoda cut him off and forced him to fight in an effort to save the Republic. Had Yoda killed him would he become Sith Lord?

Did Vader kill Palpatine with the power of love? Palpatine was no threat to Vader at that moment.

I would have to think it is entirely possible to kill in the name of justice or to defend those that cannot help themselves.

As [mention]Force Nexus [/mention] said. Vader was so beaten that Obi-Wan could have dragged him to the nearest resistance celll. Hell even to Dagobah. Or Rokan’s cell and let them carry out justice, if Obi-Wan can’t bring himself to do it. But you don’t just walk away.

For continuity reasons that can’t happen. Which is why the needed a more creative end to that fight.

Instead Obi-Wan doesn’t fulfill any duty really, yet we’re to believe that by the end he’s now ready to see Qui-Gon and has entered a new stare of enlightenment. It feels undeserved IMO.

dinnertime, Riv_Shiel and Force Nexus like this.
  10. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    For continuity reasons this whole show can't happen. It actively contradicts and detracts from the original movies.
    And he just failed at the only one duty he was tasked with. He failed to protect Luke. Luke managed to survive and the Galaxy was saved solely because of Reva's mercy.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yoda didn’t attack Palpatine. He’s trying to stop him for sure but he didn’t engage him until Palpatine ignites his own lightsaber. If Palpatine had surrendered Yoda wouldn’t have then lopped his head off.

Um… yes. Kinda the whole point of the scene. He is redeemed out of love for his son. He’s protecting his son who is being zapped to death by Palpatine.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You're arguing with the "old man yells at cloud" gif.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Mace was going to when Palpatine stopped resisting. And that whole scene is framed as Anakin’s choice to fulfill or reject his destiny. It’s not framed as Mace is the new Sith.

That’s not what I mean. I understand that he’s defending his son out of love. But when he yells “no!” And seizes Palpatine, what is he feeling towards Palpatine? Is he just in a pure zen? Is he angry? Does he feel satisfaction for doing the right thing?

He’s killing somebody to protect someone else. Maybe that requires a little bit of anger, as the act of killing is inherently aggressive. My point is that striking someone down that isn’t a direct threat to you isn’t bad, if they are a threat to someone else, which Vader was in the case of OWK.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Give that man an onion belt!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    And Mace was wrong to do so. Even Lucas has said so.

I think he feels love for his son. I don’t think he kills Palpatine out of anger. If that was his motivation he would have killed Palpatine a long time ago. He lets go of all his anger and hate at that moment and all that’s left is his love for Luke.

TaradosGon likes this.
  16. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    Yes, Mace was wrong to execute him, but he was supposed to arrest Palpatine and put him on trial (like he initially wanted). He was never supposed to just walk away [face_laugh]
    "Welp, my job here is done. Phew. Goodbye, Darth."

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    they can’t be guardians of peace and justice if they act in ways that lead them selves to fall to the dark side, then they become the danger to the galaxy that they are supposed to be guardians against

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Mace still had a semi-functioning Senate and courts that he could have brought Palpatine before. What is Obi-Wan supposed to do with Vader if he takes him into custody?

TCF-1138 , Yanksfan and starfish like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You'd almost think Obi Wan personally believed the whole "to defend, not to attack" lesson he preached to Anakin in the same series.

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The only quote from Lucas that I am aware of, and I’m paraphrasing, is he says something about Anakin wanting to do the right thing for the wrong reason.

And can’t the same be said for Obi-Wan?

In the beginning he’s defeated and dispirited and feels guilt. He’s buried his lightsaber and encourages a fellow Jedi to do the same.

And even in the last episode Rokan says something to Obi-Wan about how he doesn’t care about the refugees, he only cares about settling things with Vader.

And when he’s buried by Vader and he’s struggling to get out, we at first hear a bunch of lines by Vader, representing the guilt he feels, and he cannot get out. But then he focuses on the kids. His love for the kids allows him to break free, and it gives him the focus to not only fight, but to dominate Vader.

But then he just leaves. Vader can kill out of love to save Luke. Why can’t Obi-Wan (aside from continuity issues)?

To quote Rose: he’s fighting not to destroy what he hates, but to protect what he loves.

21. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    Literally anything. Like was mentioned 150 times before, bring him to the nearest Rebellion cell. They will know what to do. He was the second man in the Empire. Interrogate him, put him on trial. Do ANYTHING. Here is a reference:

You know, they could have just ripped off The Force Unleashed, too. Capture him, then somehow Vader escapes. At least Obi-Wan would not be a total idiot in this scenario. He would not just leave him to his own evil to terrorize the galaxy. It's so stupid, it's just baffling to me.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The Rebellion doesn't exist yet during this series.

Obi Wan just met a group of refugees. Should he leave a Sith Lord with a group of refugees?

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And we thank you for all 150 mentions. Repetition is the joy of fandom.
    Stop introducing facts that get in the way of rage.

24. Force Nexus

Jun 22, 2022
    Saw Gerrera exists. Bail Organa exists, who is in contact with Mon Mothma and other people. The so-called "refugees" are in contact with Quinlan Vos and other surviving Jedi. He should not leave a genocidal maniac SITH LORD on the loose, because his guilt was lifted or something, and he does not feel bad anymore.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But the Empire is the ultimate authority in the galaxy at this point, and they can't simply take one of its top agents into custody. Obi-Wan either kills him or leaves him on that planet. Those are his choices at this stage. And consistent with his character and the central themes of Star Wars, he decides not to kill him.

Yanksfan and Master Jedi Fixxxer like this.