main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Alright, I said the other day I’d write down my criticisms for the sake of good faith.
    • The lightsaber chorography was'nt super great when Obi-Wan was attacking the Inquistor base.
    • The SFX, overall, was'nt up to snuff with the other LA shows.
    • I was hoping we would get more time with Luke and some actual exploration of his youth, and I was suprised the Lars were featured so little.
    • As much as I loved the Obi-Wan/Vader fight, part of me wished it had ended with Vader wining and Obi-Wan limping away injured enough that Vader assumes he will "die in a hole" or something (to sort of set up Tarkin's "surely he must be dead by now?")
    • The lightsabers were a bit to bright and came off sorta like those high quality FX lightsabers (this was a problem I was having trouble nailing down and vocalizing until I watched Caravan of Garbage's review and they brought it up the way I am)
    • I wish Haja had been a younger Lor San Takka.
    When I first signed onto this forum it was to vent about the aspects of TROS that disappointed me but, guess what? I never pretended the movie "ruined" Star Wars and I was pretty congnizent that my issues were subjective; heck, in short order I even came to accept (or even like) most of the things I disliked.

I don't understand letting the dislike of something rule you.

And I think that's exactly what they've started to do; TROS seems to have demonstrate the futility of trying to please everyone and proved that pandering to people who are upset doesn’t accomplish anything when said people's desire is to be upset (save for to upset other people who were not upset before), and increased inclusion of diverse characters/the strong pushback against Ingram's treatment indicates they've pretty much written off the more extreme elements of TPM and decided to directly challenge them.

It was'nt just any Imperial base; it was the Inquisitorius secret base that the public doesn’t even know exists. The Empire isn’t going to publize something so humiliating as a Jedi infiltrating (and then escaping) a secret, secure blacksite with the aid of a mole.

So no, everybody in the Empire shouldn’t (and wouldn’t) know that they knew each other.

• A - I'm pretty sure that was the dropship he took from Rokan's ship, not a public transport (either way, he was the only one on it).
    • B - As far as we know there's no Imperial presence on Alderaan (and I'm sure the Organas, between their rebel network and whatever intelligence/police services Alderaan has, were pretty throughout about combating ISB/Imperial Intelligence agents that might show up), and that was probably a private landing pad since, I believe, it's the same one Breha's sisters family used in the premier.
    The cake is a lie:p

Agreed, welcome to the family, @Sky_alma. It always makes me happy, given the state of the fandom these days, to see people chose to become more involved in it due to postive experiences with new content!:)

The farm where Anakin's mother lived when she was married to Owen's father, no less.

CHO: I'm the one who asked the Senate to protect this planet. This wasteland belongs to us!
    KENOBI: With all due respect, Chairman, this is for the Senate to decide, not us.
    CHO: Ah, but the Jedi report to the Senate, which is Senator Chuchi of Pantora.
    • From TCW S1E15 (good thing I watched this last night or the line probably wouldn’t have occurred to me!:D)
    It's not a stretch or a technicality; it's outright said - the Jedi are under the authority of the senate and senators outrank them.

While I agree with you that the show was telling us that she was lashing out at Obi-Wan, I *do* think that it's not hard to imagine she got more information then what we saw from the water merchant (at the very least she learned that Luke wasn’t Owen's kid, since she obviously knows that when she attacks despite the fact in their prior conversation she specifically asks if he has children and he doesn’t indicate otherwise); certainly the information about Luke surname and the Lars relationship to the Skywalkers wouldn’t be a secret amid the local community.

To be fair, I've been re-watching TCW and their relationship is an example of "we're trying to be covert but not really succeeding" - heck, even C3P0 is better at keeping the whole thing under wraps then they are.

She's angry at Obi-Wan too; in part because he trained Anakin so "justice" works here as well.

"Who was that Jedi?"
    "Mustaben Kenobi..."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe if she had actually said that.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That's also what I was thinking of as well. [face_thinking]

K2771991 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I love the weight of the sabers in the final duel. They feel heavy but there’s still a lot of skill in the fight. Perfect mix of prequel finesse meeting the weight of the OT/ST.

6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    @Ender_and_Bean of, it was'nt the weight that bothered me. It was the effect used for the blades.

It's hard to say this in a way that makes total sense but they did'nt feel, I guess, real? (which I know is a silly criticism since lightsaber's are'nt real, lol).

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We were discussing this elsewhere but this duel was the first time the Disney era has actually gone back to anything close to the OT/PT lightsaber blade aesthetic with the whiter core. The ST and Anthology films and even Luke in Mando all had these purely solid color blobs whereas this finally took us back to the earlier films' blades.

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Good or is it another "let's be excessively negative just to be funny or edgy" kinda video?

:p

TadoFett and K2771991 like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll let you be the judge.

10. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    And not to mention a nine year old boy with the last name of Skywalker. However Owen and Beru would counter that it was given to him by an Imperial TSA guard. :han: :cool:

K2771991 likes this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It would have been nice to see more interaction between Obi Wan and Bail in the Clone Wars series.

naw ibo, cwustudent and Riv_Shiel like this.
  12. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm pretty sure the only saber that does'nt have a whitish/lighter "inside" is the Darksaber; the effects are different in different places across the francise, but I don't think (in a general sense) that specifically has ever changed.

It's Cinema Sins. That's basically their whole sthick at this point, lol.

InterestingLurker and TadoFett like this.
  13. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017

So I was a few words off, sue me :p

K2771991 likes this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Watching the series again. I really like how angry and threatening Darth Vader looks when his helmet is off. He’s not the sympathetic character we see in Return of the Jedi.

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Who would make such a list?? Who else would be on it? Maybe they thought old dreamy eyes Paolo might sneak back in for a another shot. I just hope this list isn't one where they
    We already have to make assumptions - ie that she gained information from the locals which enabled her to track down the Lars. And, we know that she found out Luke wasn't their son. So really, the Anakin vs Kenobi question comes down to whether a local told her only that the boy was their nephew, or whether they mentioned his last name. That's it. It's either of those two outcomes. Not more assumptions, just a choice of two. Given no more assumptions are required, everything in terms of the arc of the character, the clear target of her vengeance, & basic common sense point to her killing Luke bcs of his personal connection to her nemesis, Vader.
    Spot on!
    It's our lot in life.

As I mentioned, I think they wanted to avoid explicitly making clear that Reva found out via Luke's name bcs it just highlights a whole bunch of stupidity. Obviously not changing his name, as they did with Leia is the biggie. But also, if they're going to make that choice, Owen would surely have to be smart enough not to broadcast it around. To the point where random locals all know Luke's full name. I mean, is he going to drop by the stores & vendors & say "This is my nephew, Luke. Luke Skywalker"? When Luke is being mischievous in town, is he going to yell "Luke Skywalker! Come here this instant young man!" He would have to be more discreet, especially while Luke is so young & vulnerable. I think the whole thing opens up such a giant can of stupid that they chose to leave out the name reveal & hope people wouldn't question it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Luke went in prepared to do the deed, should it be necessary, but in the face of the Emperor’s taunts and his father’s suffering, he had an epiphany of moral clarity and decided to trust in the force.

17. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    The galaxy is massive. A no name farmer on the planet farthest from the bright centre of the universe - His name doesn't matter. Owen is bringing him up, but hasn't adopted him.

Leia on the other hand is right in the middle of the action. Poltiics and People wise. She needs to be hidden and is adopted to become Bail and Breha's actual heir.

UKS

Mostly Handless and K2771991 like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Having watched this show many times now alone, with friends and all. Its so good, Kenobi and his psdt. How he needs Leia in order to get his grove back and connection to the force. It was good seeing old returning characters like Bail Organa and his family. Seeing Alderaan. Obi-Wan's relationship with Leia and her reminding him of both her parents. Kenobi’s having a bigger relationship with Leia then Luke, and makes her plea to Kenobi later better. Canon.

Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker/Darth vader flashback and later fight was just perfect. And it explains why he stopped believe in Anakin and start calling him Darth. Obi Wan becoming Ben Kenobi we later know from OT and Qui-Gon Jinn comes at the end just perfect.

Mostly Handless, naw ibo and K2771991 like this.
  19. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I like the original story arc for reva so much better, much cleaner writing.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  20. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Once again you and I will just never agree on stuff like this, the fact the empire was not keeping a close eye on the planet, one week later after leia is returned is crazy, you could have handled a visit with leia in so many better ways that was less conspicuous, it was lazy booking.

You also miss my point about them breaking into an Imperial base I know it's top secret, I played Jedi fallen order many times, that's not the point. the point is the Empire knows all the way up the chain of command that there's a close correlation between Obi-Wan, rebels, Leia and bail, from this point forward. the fact that they were not stripped of power immediately shows incompetence. My only hope is that this will get explained better in Andor somehow

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t think that sounds more interesting at all, we’ve seen several dark siders redeem themselves with their last moments before death

we haven’t seen a dark side character choose to just stop following the path of the dark side and then have to live with the consequences and have try to attempt to find some sort of atonement or way to move on, all the while having to live with what they did in the past, I think this opens up some pretty interesting stories for Reva in the future

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Even if we assume the Empire has monitoring stations or something in the Alderaan system, how would they know? Space traffic in-and-out of the planet's airspace would be super dense and it's doubtful that Obi-Wan did'nt do his do diligence in taking care of anything that they could have used to identify the dropship as specifically the one he took from Rokan's transport.

Stripping the Organa's of power would require proof, would be met with resistence and would, in all likelyhood, lead to massive backlash.

You need to remember when in the timeline this takes place; Palpatine's power is not yet absolute and the Senate still has the ability to challange him and needs to be appeased - they would'nt sit for one of their most infuantual members being targeted and disposed; Bail could easily claim ingorence and say Kenobi saved her of his own accord or, heck, told everyone Obi-Wan kidnapped her and his agents rescued her - the Empire would'nt be able to disprove either of those claims without revealing classified information that would be humilating to them and seriusly undermine the aura of authority/power.

Ulic, Revan, Tahiri, Juhani, Vos, Kam Solusar, Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, Legends Luke, ect.

23. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Re: Luke keeping the "Skywalker" name. Perhaps they should've established somewhere (the prequels, maybe?) that "Skywalker" is just a generic last name very commonly given to slaves, (Kind of like how the last names of "Snow" or "Stone" mark a bastard in GoT). Then it might explain why it's not a red flag at all.

I don't know. Just spitballing. Feel free to poke holes.

24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I think, becuase of the order and manner that the trilogies were written, Luke's name is a big boulder in the road from multipule angles; him being publically called "Skywalker" is just one part of the problem - it's also not a secret that his father is Anakin Skywalker and that his uncle's father was married to Anakin's mother.

I mean, even if the name of Luke's father had been kept under wraps Anakin was Shmi's only child and she herself (as far as we know) had no siblings - there's no other Skywalkers that could have the relationship with Owen/Beru that would make them Luke's aunt and uncle.

Do you really have to ask that question when IRL there exists an entire cottage industry that get by on speculating about the love lives of famous people?

Padme was pregnant when she died. She also was'nt married and did'nt have a public lover; if people were going to speculate (which they almost certainly would, IMO) on the father the name of the handsome and equally (if not more) famous Jedi Knight who she had a close bond with would be right near the top of the list.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  25. The battle of MAW station

The battle of MAW station Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2013
    Did Obi Wan Kenobi tell Leia to much?

I think Obi Wan should not have revealed anything about what he did or did not know about Leia's real parents. It should have remained a complete mystery for her just as much as it is for Luke.

At most, Obi Wan should have just told her that they were killed during the Clone Wars, and not important.

The problem with doing this is that someone as intelligent as Leia is for her age will not just let this go and forget about it.

Without her adoptive parents knowledge, we have to assume that she is going to spend a great deal of time and resources, which I assume she has plenty, trying to find out who her real parents are, and why secrecy is so important. If you put this in real terms, this is what anyone would do, right?

But before she starts her own investigation, she is probably going to beg her adoptive parents for the truth, which could lead to a falling out with them.

I guess this may be something that could be explored in a future Leia centric comic book series.

This could set up what is a common theme in Star Wars.

What happens when a character needs to find someone or information about someone or something?

You hire such characters like bounty hunters, inquisitors, spies, and informants!

Well, we know she won't get all the answers she is seeking until ROTJ, but mabey she got really close a time or two!

K2771991 likes this.