main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It sounds like Stuart Beattie's take on Reva was slightly more similar to Trilla, then. In his version of the story, she was all about revenge against the Jedi because she'd been deceived into believing that they were the villains.

I have to say I actually prefer the version of Reva that we got.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Me as well. I also think I prefer (somewhat of a) redemption for that character at the end rather than just being killed by Vader.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Commander Cody's arc in Kenobi movie.

We were robbet of good Cody and Kenobi content.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Glitterstimm and K2771991 like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Huh. Interesting. The only question is: Would the Owen we know really have let Cody hang around and bicker with Luke?

On the other hand, what's to stop Luke from sneaking out to hear old Cody tell war stories?

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I will now call him uncle Cody like i call Rex in Rebels uncle Rex. I hope Bad Batch dont just kill him off because this story was scrapped and Cody lives on somewhere. Maybe he meets Kenobi again after Rex helps him with the chip. Force ghost Kenobi and old man Cody.

K2771991 likes this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Maybe the homeless 501st clone was a leftover from that sideplot. I guess they didn't want to pay Temeura for a larger role than the cameo. This show already had a budget stressing cast.

Mostly Handless and K2771991 like this.
  7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think it necessarily meant Cody would be protecting Luke at the homestead. it probably just means looking out for him from a far.

K2771991 likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Season 2 of Kenobi will be Commander Cody's reunion with Kenobi.

K2771991 likes this.
  9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Things that could all be explored in season 2 if the Bad Batch doesn't get to it first.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope Bad Batch dont kill off Cody and he gets his redemption and help with Rex. Let Cody and Rex be old together. Also Tem has shown interest in playing not just Rex but also Cody again.

TadoFett and K2771991 like this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    We can't have too many Temueras in Star Wars. After all, they made about 1,2 million of him.

12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

Judging by the title "Obi-Wan Kenobi is a show that exists" I'm going to skip this one.

I have a bad history with reviews that have "witty" titles or titles that don't tell you much.

:p

K2771991 and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. Sky_alma

Sky_alma Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2022
    I agree. And I don't really like that, since I think it's much easier to make things look better in hindsight. His ideas might look good on paper, but we can't know for sure if they would have actually been delivered in a satisfying way. I mean, the show we got had some flaws, I'll give you that (mostly related to budget issues in my opinion), and yet I absolutely loved it because I felt that the writers/director understood the essence of these characters. For instance, the final confrontation between Anakin and Obi-Wan was brilliantly portrayed, but it was the brief dialogue of that scene that really moved me and that made me realise that where it counts, they get it.

So if there's a second season (yes please!), I actually wouldn't want them to change the current director and creative team, as I'm afraid that the outcome would be inconsistencies all over the place and a storyline with no direction, in a similar way to what happened with the sequel trilogy. I don't know, I'd rather they addressed the flaws in the series with a critical mindset and try to make things better from there, but without including drastical modifications in the creative team that might change the whole essence of the show.

14. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I wouldn't have a problem with it if Bail's message have been left out of it and her line about revange as well; because as @Krueger rightly guessed, the Skywalker name is a very common name according to Lucas himself, I distinctly remember him joking about the phonebook at the Celebration before TFA came out. The problem is that at this point in the timeline you have a rogue imperial knowing about Luke which would be HUGE problem for everyone involved in protecting him from from the Emperor and by extension Vader,(even by implication) should Reva be captured and tortured. The fact that Obi-Wan never addressed this with her, unless he does a mind trick off screen or something, it's a dismal oversight in the writing to me.

Preposterous is right! @K2771991 where did you get such an idea? No, it is NOT!

Anakin to Padmè in AOTC: "…we could keep it a secret."

In the end they do, despite Anakin growing tired of it.

ROTS -

Anakin and Padmè:

"..I'm tired of all this deception, I don't care if they know we're married."

"Anakin, don't say things like that."

"Are you alright? You are trembling. What's going on?

"Something wonderful has happened. Ani, I'm pregnant. "

"That's..that's wonderful. "

"What are we gonna do? "

"We are not going to worry about anything right now, alright? This is a happy moment…the happiest moment of my life."

That evening -

"Ani, I want to have the baby back home on Naboo. We can go to The Lake Country where no one will know, where we can be safe..I can go early and fix up the baby's room."

After Anakin's nightmare -

"This baby will change our lives, I doubt the Queen will allow me to continue to serve in the Senate..and If The Council discovers you are the father you will be expelled."

"I know..I know.."

The marriage was a secret as well as the pregnancy (that's why Padmè uses elaborate official dresses again) because Anakin is a Jedi. I mean, Padmè never takes Anakin's name for goodness sake! So no, that Luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker is NOT public record. Obi-Wan knew that they were seeing each other not that they were married and palpatine knew that they were married because you either accept Panaka told him, or Anakin never really care to hold his mental shields around his father figure. I choose the latter as Anakin told him about the sand people after all, but he didn't know that she was pregnant as far as the movie goes at last.

After visiting Padmè to see if she knows where Vader is Obi-Wan's suspicions are confirmed -

"Anakin is the father, isn't he? I'm so sorry."

After the birth of Luke and Leia their fate is decided by the three who know of their existence: Obi-Wan, Bail and Yoda:

"Hidden, safe the children must be kept."

"We must take take them somewhere the sith cannot sense their presence."

"Split up they should be."

"My wife and I will take the girl. We always talked about adopting a baby girl, she will be loved with us."

"And what of the boy?"

"To Tatooine, to his family sent him"

"I'll take the child and watch over him."

"Until the time is right, disappear we will. "

As far as theGalaxy knew Padmè died unmarried, with her unborn child/dren and took the identity of the father to her grave and Anakin officially died in the Jedi Purge.

Obi-Wan in ROTJ -

"To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is reason why your sister remains safely anonymous."

The only reason why the Emperor found out about Luke is because of Vader's own behavior in retrospect, because its not that different from how he acted in the series in his pursuit of Kenobi; not because Luke's parentage is common knowledge throughout The Galaxy or by your logic, within Tatooine.

Exactly! Which makes the implication that Reva knows about Luke the only implication that makes sense within the story presented to us..much to my dismay.

I was hoping for this to happen to be honest. Having hers surving with assumption of her knowing about Luke now..it just adds to the pile of cannon stupid imo.

Thank you for giving me fanfiction fuel.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wobbits and Yanksfan like this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You have to ask which character in which show in which part of the timeline would benefit more narratively from Cody whether he is evil and has a redemption arc or dies. Over the course of Obi-wan Kenobi the title character went through a character arc that took Obi-wan out of his lowest point. He pulled himself out of the despair event horizon. That character arc was my favorite thing about the show. Meanwhile, within The Bad Batch, Rex is at a low point and doesn't want to bury any more of his brothers. All these years later we see that one 501st clone begging for change and he's probably still there begging for change as Obi-wan moves.

I get the sense Cody is gone by the time of Rebels but that doesn't mean much. The writers will do whatever they think tells the best story. If he and Rex are alive and in some nursing home in Ashoka together that's fine.

-------------------

I don't think it really matters what Reva knows. The writers could have done a better job with it but I think after a rewatch of a few episodes, her character is written with "wreckless" as a synonym for insane. Like she is somewhere between barely in control and insane. Then by the time she has her through-the-wall conversation with Obi-wan. She completely loses all control. That's why she doesn't something as insanely wreckless as attack Vader. Then goes and tried to take her failure out on Obi-wan. Anything she tries to tell anyone won't make any sense.

Fredrik Vallestrand and K2771991 like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think we dodged a bullet with the Cody material. Sounds bad.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It wouldn't be a big deal.

K2771991 likes this.
  18. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    We never saw the conversation where Obi-Wan swore Bail, Breha, Yoda, Owen, Beru and R2-D2 to secrecy in case they were captured or tortured either.

Reva found redemption. She rejected the Dark Side; she's not a threat to Luke (or anyone else) anymore and not only does Obi-Wan clearly reconize this, but the narrative intent is pretty clear as well. I fail to see the "oversight" here; IMO Obi-Wan asking Reva not to do a thing it's super obvious she's not going to do would be superfluous content that does'nt add anything to the story.

You can qoute things Padme suggested they could do all you want, and you can point out (correctly) that Luke was hidden from Vader and the Emperor at birth.

But that does'nt change the fact that he was living openly as the son of Anakin Skywalker, fully aware that he was the son of Anakin Skywalker, and in the costody of his uncle who is the stepbrother of Anakin Skywalker; hidden though he was Luke's identity, unlike Leia's, was very clearly not concealed.

On the other end of this, though, I don't think it's ever suggested the Lars's did'nt have a farm hand

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah. Something about him babysitting Luke doesn't feel right.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean he’s be the perfect guy to teach Luke how to bullseye womp rats with such precision.

Fredrik Vallestrand and K2771991 like this.
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Anakin/Vader trained Reva to question why comlinks are just laying around on the ground :p

wobbits, Glitterstimm and K2771991 like this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    The chance of the information that Luke Skywalker is Anakin's son being a public record, is exactly equal to zero.
    If that were the case, Luke Skywalker would either be dead or a Sith, since the day that this made it into the public record.

23. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I quite like the plot twist of Reva being a double agent. If nothing else it makes her stand out in the pantheon of Star Wars villainy.:)

Ithorians, Sarge, K2771991 and 2 others like this.
  24. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Ooo, I like the Cody Kenobi stuff. Do not like the Luke-Cody thing. Then again I didn't know how to feel about Vader's inclusion and that turned out to be the best thing about the show. So what do I know?

25. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Aunt Beru