main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “You make plans that fail?” Dungeons & Dragons - Honor Among Thieves (and P+ TV Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jul 21, 2022.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

I could’ve done without the new trope of classic rock on the trailer. Otherwise I’m cautiously optimistic.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    It seems interesting, I'll see it.

Also I see comments on the vid that Chris Pine being the bard, they have expectations that he HAS to try and seduce a dragon. Cause that's what bards do.

I'll admit, I only know little from D&D lore, I watched the Vox Machina series on amazon, so there's that. Interesting the druid a redhead like Keyleth in VM, or is that just a druid thing?

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Exactly what I did not want.

5. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    What did you want?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Not Guardians of the Galaxy D&D.

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    That's what you don't want. What do you want?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    there's way too much serious fantasy movies and TV series trying to be LotR and GoT (or even new LotR and GoT), I need dopey. Great mincing by Pine at the end there!

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That's funny, because the D&D format came from LOTR via Dave Arneson. If it worked for LOTR it could have worked for D&D.

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Guardians actually isn't a bad template for D&D, to be honest, in that it does kind of get to the core of what sitting at a table to play is like - you have a ragtag group, often playing with varying levels of seriousness to their characters/backgrounds/investment, coming together to go on their adventure as a team. This seems to get that spirit, and in a way that (at least in the two minutes we've seen here) doesn't totally seem to be undercutting itself with disingenuous snarky humor (the humor seems more... of the world here) the way so many modern blockbusters that are embarrassed of their source material tend to do (hopefully that actually remains true in the movie).

I'm... moderately, potentially interested in this. I wasn't before today. So that's neat.

Hoping this ends up being a fun fantasy adventure.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Been DM-ing for about 30 years, and playing for 40 years. Hard agree on this.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    kind of a lame subtitle though but at least they didn't call it "Dawn of _____" or "Origins" or "The First Adventure" or whatever that promises more installments off the jump.

13. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Well it being a D&D thing it can have totally new groups per movie in a way, just intersecting with the old like a lot of adventures do. As long as the world works, you can go on as many adventures with whoever you want, so lots of potential for vast variety of stories. I.E:

Each group is different. Some funny, some get series later on, some series from beginning. So potential

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Never played D&D though hope to in the nearish future, but this just looks like fun.

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Back to waiting for a serious Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance movie. Oh well.

Lordban, VadersLaMent and gat-65b like this.
  16. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Would it be possible to do one here on the forum? Would take a lot though. Would have to buy dice and have someone dm etc.

17. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Yeah seems like Guardians of the Dungeon Dragon. Im 100% in now.

Reminds me of DnD drunk in college, loving the tone a lot. Those were good days.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've no idea, but the group I've played Star Wars rpg in the past and currently playing Mutants and Masterminds with are talking about doing D&D.

19. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Not too impressed by initial teaser. Granted my fondness for Dungeons and Dragons comes much more from the Dragolance novels (and occasional Forgotten Realms and even Greyhawk) than the game. I will give it points for the black dragon breathing acid instead of fire (now give me a lightning spitting blue) and having a gelatinous cube. But am very tired of the MCU ironic joke formula. Particulary as none of the jokes in the trailer are as sharply written as even the MCU.

Also, would have preferred a party thrown together by fate more than just a group of thieves (I get that they are different classes but I mean in terms of motivations for joining the quest). Plus the CGI looked a little weak, especially with the Game of Thrones spinoff dragons looking much more impressive but I figure there's time to tighten that up.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Looks like it's set in the Forgotten Realms, and Chris Perkins is a consultant. I'm starting to feel a little better.

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Chris Pine's character seems to be wearing a Harper pin which is an interesting detail.

Hope we get to see a Beholder. Love those awful, hypochondriac floaty bois.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Names and classes of the adventuring party.

• Chris Pine is Elgin, a Bard. Elgin notably wears a Harper pin in several scenes in the trailer, hinting that he might be part of the famed organization.
    • Michelle Rodriguez is Holga, a barbarian.
    • Rege-Jean Page is Xenk, a paladin.
    • Justice Smith is Simon, a sorcerer.
    • Sophia Lillis is Doric, a druid. Doric notably is a tiefling and even has a tail.
    • Hugh Grant is Forge, a rogue.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Master_Lok and Kiki Jinn like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  24. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

[​IMG]

Fun footage in the BTS reel, with some really cool monsters. I'm still shockingly looking forward to this (I just really hope it doesn't pull the rug out from under itself with a meta "oh they were players sitting around a table all along" gag).

But man, what an absolutely awful poster. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  25. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Saw the trailer last night as the family finally saw Wakanda Forever.

Will probably be terrible but I am also cautiously optimistic. Hope it’s a real fun time and if it’s that and no more, I’ll be satisfied.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.