main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The “problem” facing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    You don’t know that Yoda wasn’t watching Luke in his sleep with his saber ready

Sarge likes this.
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Lucas chose not to film Yoda watching Luke in his sleep with his saber ready or to make a plot point about it being a factor in Luke turning to the Dark Side.

Whereas Rian chose to film multiple flashback scenes featuring Luke creeping into his nephew's bedroom and attempting to murder him with his lightsaber as well as to make those scenes the most significant explanations we get in TLJ for Ben's fall to the Dark Side.

wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.
  3. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    I was joking about Yoda. But i don’t think it’s unreasonable for Luke to do that. He wasn’t creeping into Ben’s room every night thinking about murdering him. The movie presents it as Luke is concerned enough to look into his mind one night and the horror of seeing a vision of Kylo Ren killing his loved ones causes him to act

4. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Many of us older SW fans(gen x here), still believe that there was plenty of source material in the old EU(legends) to make movies and tv shows from. Already told stories and an openness to original storylines. Had they canonized the 200 or so books I have, we wouldn't be talking about Luke like he could murder a child in his sleep. That is one of the most inconsistent part of the sequels. Disney has changed how we view some characters. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Bad Batch, OWK, TCW, Mando and Boba. These were great additions to the universe. Not so much a fan of Solo or R1 because I feel they disrupt the continuity of an already existing storyline. This is the greatest epic saga of all time and I just hope Disney doesn't "alter it further." I would like to see them include more of the EU(the way these esteemed authors wrote it.)

5. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    Some EU stories also changed our perception of the characters. When authors write their original stories based on Star Wars they will have varying interpretations and ideas about the characters and where the story goes. Rather than trying to keep a strict EU canon, where every conflicting story set between ANH and ESB is in a timeline and every story about what happened after RotJ needs to match, they should just let each authors stories be as self contained or connected as they want them to be, no canon outside the original six.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, it was a bad “but he made me” defense when “but he made me” defenses are already bad.

wobbits and devilinthedetails like this.
  7. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Knowing that Disney/LFL had both a vast library of EU stories to adapt from and George Lucas's story treatments and chose neither (apart from some slight resemblances) is one of the most maddening parts of the ST to me. It would be one thing if they came up with a brilliant original story, but to see the floundering, uninspired mess that resulted is... just... I have no words. [face_frustrated]

I am hoping they take advantage of the pre-TPM EU stories when they finally tell Old Republic stories: the Rakata, the Hyperspace War, the Sith War, Darth Revan, Nomi Sunrider, Exar Kun etc. They have a solid road map at their fingertips and I really hope they use it instead of just making things up as they go along.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Darth Majestic likes this.
  8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It doesn't look like Disney is interested in adapting anything. Maybe they'll add EU stuff here and there, remade to fit their own canon, but they seem way more interested in capitalizing on making new stuff from the ground up, even if it is heavily coated with nostalgia.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Fair enough about the Yoda joke. I thought you might have been joking but wasn't sure either way so decided to respond as if you were serious. So hard to tell on the Internet what is a joke and what is serious sometimes:D

I personally did find Luke's action unreasonable. To me, he seemed to only have "bad feelings" or a vague sense that Ben might be dangerous at the time he crept into his nephew's room and ignited the lightsaber over his sleeping nephew. That to me would be comparable to if Obi-Wan, sensing that Anakin is dangerous back in TPM, decided that he would creep up on a sleeping Anakin and ignite his lightsaber over him. And then that had been treated by the narrative as what made Anakin go to the Dark Side.

I am not sure that I would even have been cool with Obi-Wan igniting a lightsaber over a sleeping Anakin even after Anakin had committed his first Dark Side act, slaying the Tusken tribe, and there is no real evidence that Ben has committed a Dark Side act prior to Luke igniting a lightsaber over him while he is sleeping.

Even after Anakin has gone on his Temple slaughter, Lucas doesn't have Obi-Wan try to kill Anakin in his sleep.

I just think it is a bizarre choice. Normally attempting to kill people in their sleep is associated with villainous characters (like Palpatine himself who alludes to killing his master in his sleep).

And if I was meant to think that what Luke did was justifiable or understandable I needed a lot more buildup explaining why he had his suspicions of Ben, etc. Which probably would've needed to be a whole movie in itself, not just thrown in as brief flashbacks.

Anyway, I don't want to get too swept up in debate about Luke's actions and derail the thread. Suffice to say that I do think Luke's actions registered as a big change to a lot of fans, and not all fans were onboard with the change.

Oh, yes, it definitely wasn't a good explanation for Ben/Kylo's turn to the Dark Side. What Luke did was pretty unjustifiable and insane to me, but Ben/Kylo responded in an even more violent, deranged way by going on a slaughtering rampage at the Temple and then joining Snoke and the First Order. The whole sequence of events is just bizarre. Like a full-blown idiot plot.

10. Darth Majestic

Jul 18, 2020
    I would love to see "the Lost Tribe of the Sith" made into a (way back) movie and then be able to bring characters into sequel era from the lost tribe to interact with a new Jedi order. There was never anything wrong with the stories they(Disney) discarded and distanced themselves from. I felt like the EU was very cohesive. Rogue Planet and Outbound Flight being prequel Era but then tying in with the Yuuzhan Vong way after dealing with the Empirial remnant all very cohesive. Why, oh why did they(Disney) not just bring to life the masterful pages of the EU. From Dawn of the Jedi:Into the Void all the way to Troy Denning's Crucible, every book was a chapter in an ongoing overall story of the universe far, far away

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    From what we have seen in movies and tv shows animation and live action, they take inspiration from EU, but make original content.

12. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This.

Also, does anyone remember why the original title of Return of the Jedi was changed from Revenge of the Jedi before 1983? The main reason was that Jedi do not take revenge and should not be aggressors.

[​IMG]

Darth Majestic likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Kylo's memmories and not Luke's so that not how it happenned, and you forgot he almost killed his father.

KyleKartan and Mostly Handless like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We are still supposed to take Kylo’s recollections seriously and be willing to demonize Luke.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    No your are not,i never took that scene seriously. Its like the animated shows that go over board when does scary stories and flashbacks and later is revealed to be just smoke screen.

16. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    Rey should be willing to take this new information seriously, she hasn’t seen the original trilogy and thus her preconception of Luke isn’t backed by fact. She doesn’t immediately believe, she runs to Luke to ask him for the truth. And besides there’s no doubt over what happened in the room, Luke admits it. The only part that reflects Kylo’s bias is Luke’s exaggerated scary visage representing the murderous intent.

17. Darth Majestic

Jul 18, 2020

Not really original if they are using the EU(Legends) as "inspiration." They're kinda just changing names and doing alterations to existing storylines.

example: Korriban=Exegol

Really? Just use the name it was given. Doesn't make it worse or better, just confusing. Basically Disney is changing the vision of the sacred texts and trying to change how we feel about the OT(and OT characters)

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She runs to Luke and hits him because she assumed that Kylo’s ‘but he made me!’ defense was worth believing.

And she does not need to see the OT. Kylo’s behavior towards her and his attempt to blame someone else—Luke—for his overall attitude and evil deeds should be worth a hell of a lot more skepticism than Rey had.

But yeah, that scene was put in the movie intentionally to unfairly malign Luke in order to give Kylo a ‘but he made me!’ “defense” for anyone who was willing to allot him one.

19. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    When does he blame Luke for his being anything? Snoke had apparently already turned him.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    His whole ‘look what Luke did to me’ schtick after Rey called him out for being monstrous was just that—deflecting and blaming Luke.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Korriban is now Moriband, changed by George Lucas. So not Disney. Exegol is a whole another planet and part of the sith lore now. Disney if they like should change the secret text. And OT is always changing eith Prequels, Clone Wars, Rebels, Solo/Rogue One.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Pulling some things here and there and changing names isn't really making it unoriginal. Even Lucas did that with the EU when making the PT. But making their own characters, planets, lore, etc. gives them room to do what they want and can be used to create intrigue, because it's all in a new canon (ie, who are Rey's parents?)

23. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    He doesn’t tell her he turned to the dark side because of Luke. Doesn’t blame Luke for him being a monster, he’s just trying to claim that Luke is no better than him, or worse than Rey thinks.

The movie definitely doesn’t intend the audience to demonize Luke if he’s supposed to be a heroic figure at the end

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    EU is gone but dosent mean they cant pull from it.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As I said—deflecting. And essentially saying ‘I may be a killer but maybe I wouldn’t be if Luke had not done this to me!’ And Rey bought it. Even if all Kylo had done was claim that Luke was no better than he is, Rey would have been an idiot for buying that given her own personal experience, but what Kylo said and implied was much worse.

wobbits likes this.