main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The “problem” facing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Jun 3, 2022.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Those must be the same reviewers who gave Morbius, Venom, DC Movies, Jungle Cruise, Episode IX, Fantastic Beasts, Jurassic World etc those "good" reviews. Disney and WB payed for it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    George Lucas is certainly much smarter than those executives at Disney who don't know anything about story telling. And why should he apologize? Especially when Bob Iger later confessed in his new book in 2019 that Lucas "felt betrayed" and frustrated when he discovered that they weren't using his story treatments? Saying that he should apologize is pretty rich!

And by the way, regarding Mark Hamill, a company that doesn't accept self-criticism is a company doomed to fail. That's also the reality of companies that become too big to fail, and we've seen this before in other industries.

Did I say they "get paid" for giving positive reviews? Don't put words in my mouth! That's dishonest, and at the limit insulting. I mentioned they weren't true to their own opinions since there seem to be some kind of pressure (which shouldn't be so surprising when independent film-makers like Lucas always kind of abhor Hollywood). I didn't say they were paid! Know your words!

P.S.: And by the way you seem to contradict your own point, and even insinuate that critics "were paid" just after mentioning that Mark Hamill got paid to play in the ST and that's why he had backtracked his opinions before.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Dark Ferus and Watcherwithin like this.
  3. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    You're making a hell of a drama for somebody who doesnt want any drama:

And you're extremley rude and insulting:

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    A long time ago people didn't know video game reviews were complete bull****, but now everyone knows most of them are. I suspect the same will happen here. It's only a matter of time before a company like Disney goes too far (they can't help themselves, ethics do not matter to them) and someone exposes them.

I'm glad Lucas and Hamill said what they said, I'm glad they didn't abide by the unwritten rules. I don't think it made them look bad at all, it showed they had the courage to be honest.

5. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    You guys do realize after the 4,5 years you're clinging to this Mark Hamill Video that the guy didnt mean it the way you're trying to make it and that it was all taken out of context?! Because that is what happend here. Its getting old using Mark for this. Iam sure he wouldnt like it a bit

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    @SW Saga Fan fan I said please provide evidence. Clearly you don't have any. And you linked to a video from that ridiculous clickbait group who says 'reviewers get paid off and studios threaten to not invite people to future events if they give a bad review' all the time. Those two phrases go hand in hand with those guys. So don't try to pull that idea that you weren't trying to imply something like that when you linked to that kind of video.

Here is a video from reviewer who actually does get invited to premieres talking about the topic. Not someone from the fandom menace who the only contacts they have are from their fellow fandom menace friends.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    KyleKartan likes this.
  7. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    [​IMG]
    RebelForceRadio and Kyle Newman are not the most reliable source for this kind of information anyway. Kyle hasnt done anything "big" since Fanboys and has been on the bandwagon of hating the ST since as early as 2015. RFR is infamous withhin the fandom by now and its no wonder their former friends Dave Filoni and David W. Collins (former Soundguy at LucasArts and still a houshold name at LFL as well as the host of the Soundtrack Podcast) have cut all ties with RFR.

8. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    First of all, getting involved in discussions is not the same as getting into drama. If you don't like what I'm writing or my opinion, fine. Too bad for you. I don't care. I won't change your mind and neither will you. However, I never liked dishonesty and people who always prefer to shoot at the messenger than discussing the message itself, which you just did once again

And yes, I won't take back what I said: America has become a dumb country. And that's what the majority of the world thinks, the past 6 years have proven that. You don't like the truth? Then suck it up and prove the contrary.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  9. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Mark Hamill has made it as clear as possible that he did not like the Sequels.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You people are sucking all the joy out of this thread.

11. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Dude...you're literally making dramatic statements here. You're coming across as a very aggressive bitter dude. Concerning your message: everything has been said about it. You were asked about evidence and could not provide anything then a piece of audio from a podcast where know TLJ haters pad each others backs. Nothing to see there.

Nobody argues that. But the way you worded it it came across if you'd attack the guy and call im stupid and dumb. That said, if you were reffering to the USA: there are this kind of problems all over world these days. Many major countries have them, not just the USA.

Oh did he? Where? Give me please the exact quotes where says that he doesnt like the ST. And pretty please not this video:

BUT: even if thats the case. Why does it matter? Actors have been known to dislike SW after they took part in it: Alec Guiness, Harrison Ford, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and so on all were negative about STAR WARS one time or another.

12. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Dude...you're literally making dramatic statements here. You're coming across as a very aggressive bitter dude. Concerning your message: everything has been said about it. You were asked about evidence and could not provide anything then a piece of audio from a podcast where know TLJ haters pad each others backs. Nothing to see there.

Nobody argues that. But the way you worded it it came across if you'd attack the guy and call im stupid and dumb. That said, if you were reffering to the USA: there are this kind of problems all over world these days. Many major countries have them, not just the USA.

And please: respond to the vid @AvarandElzarsittininatree posted.

Oh did he? Where? Give me please the exact quotes where says that he doesnt like the ST. And pretty please not this video:

BUT: even if thats the case. Why does it matter? Actors have been known to dislike SW after they took part in it: Alec Guiness, Harrison Ford, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and so on all were negative about STAR WARS one time or another.[/QUOTE]

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah I remember he liked TLJ after he saw it.

Mostly Handless and KyleKartan like this.
  14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Ask for it and you're served. I took the time to watch the video.

The "reviewer" you refer to, John Campea, is well known. I somehow stop caring about what he said over the years. But if you decided to mention him, then I will mention his pal at Collider, Kristian Harloff, when behind the scenes he had a meltdown for no being given priviliged access to Disney's theme park and being frustrated especially after being called a shill. It doesn't matter if the video below is from "the Fandom Menace" or other "right-wing nuts", what matters is the Collider clip:

Maybe they are not being pressured or paid by corporations, but when those internet celebreties as Harloff or Campea have become so popular and somehow became "the megaphones" of the fanbase, they are certainly expecting an "elevator return", as the clip of the behind the scenes in Collider has shown.

And by the way, why mention Campea, when it is well known over the years that he has slammed part of the fanbase for liking the PT? It's just like Simon Pegg who has previously accused Lucas of "murdering his children" with the PT and "having no respect towards anyone who liked the PT". But then a few years later, comes back to say the Star Wars fandom is "the most toxic fanbase" in the world after somewhat admitting that he was also part of the problem.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Simon Pegg is not wrong when you heat of whst happenned to Ahmed and the kid.

KyleKartan likes this.
  16. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Current politics and social athmosphere bleeds into popular culture (even the reverse is true). And it's getting frustrating to see that.

My comment was not meant to attack the guy but rather give you the real picture of what the rest of the world thinks of the U.S. and its culture and society. You may not like my comment, but this is the truth and a wake-up call. Other countries don't matter in this case because the U.S. has been the world's most influential country for the last century regarding culture and politics.

17. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Simon Pegg had the choice and the chance in the past: either you try to stay nice and respectful towards others, or you're being part of the problem. He discarded many times those chances and it's a bit too late to ask for redemption.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but many people certainly still have a bad taste in their mouth.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The majority of the world isn't as smart as they think they are. The last 2 years have proven that.

19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    There was a "dumbpandemic" over the last 2 years. :p Added over to a real pandemic. Glad to see we are slowly coming back to normal.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    @SW Saga Fan you really need to stop linking to videos from that group of people that do nothing but try to stir the pot to get clicks. You may enjoy some of their videos but few here think much of them at all and all you posting their videos does is make a lot of people decide to ignore your opinion. If you want to link to something link to the original source. Not some clickbait artist making ten videos a day so they can hopefully get enough views so they don't have to go work at Walmart.

Here is the original video for you. It only took about two minutes to find.

And in anycase that video doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about. It's not like Kristian Harloff wasn't given an invite because he gave a bad review. If anything his Jedi Council program was one of the main avenues for Star Wars news on youtube at that time. Collider was only given so many invites to Galaxies Edge and he didn't happen to be one of them.

21. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    First of all, whether I refer to their videos or not doesn't change the fact that it refers itself to the Collider event. You found the original video? Good! What else can I say that you've proven that it was legit, even proving my point.

Secondly, as I said before, I don't care about any fans' background when it comes to Star Wars, whether they work for the government or a Dollarama store. Do I have to ask for a background check about each person before discussing Star Wars related content? Should I judge people on what they say, and not what they are?

Thirdly, how can you say that "few of the people on this forum think much of them" while you've just been subscribed on this forum since only last November? Have some people been ignored or ban here, for exemple, when they mentionned or referenced, for exemple, to the RedLetterMedia reviews of the PT?

Collider and ShmoesKnow are certified reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. So yes, it has everything to do with what we are talking about. You can't simply ignore this fact, and you may want to stop spinning things around: of course Kristian Harloff wasn't given an invite because he gave a bad review, he clearly said it and I listened to the same thing as you. However, as you and I have heard, he was somehow waiting to be sent the elevator back down for him, and when he didn't get it, and worst of all he didn't get any reply, he even got so frustrated to have been called "a shill", after "working his ass to be a Star Wars fan".

22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    @SW Saga Fan no it doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about. You still are failing to bring any evidence at all to the table that what you claimed in your original clickbait video is in anyway true. And instead are just trying to link to more clickbait videos to keep your argument going.

Sure Harloff was upset that he wasn't one of the ones invited to Galaxies Edge. But that in no way proves that Disney wasn't inviting him because of bad press he gave. They invited people from Collider. He just didn't happen to be one of them.

23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Fine. You ask me for proof and bring more evidence, and all you do and say is "it's just clickbait", despite the fact that Harloff's outburst shows the mechanism according to which some of those reviewers think and act. You don't think that everything in Hollywood has become so corporate and everything works according to corporate incentives at the detriment of good story-telling and culture?

Good. I'm happy for you, more power to you if you manage to enjoy it. People can keep their hands into their bags of chips and be happy with it, without being critical at all, while they lick their hands full of salt. I can go try to find some nice refined cuisine outside of this corporate film-making that the Hollywood/Disney bubble is in reality.

24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    You are making a little too big of a deal of that whole incident. Sure it was unprofessional for them to act that way at the time in a Collider program and I am sure looking back on it now everyone that was in that video would tell you that. Don't try to correlate how unprofessional Harloff may have acted in that video though to how corporations are run. On a side note that is also just Harloff's style of comedy. The show he does now is run pretty much the same way where the group of people will just sit in a room and be a little vulgar.

He took it a little too far for a Collider program but that is also his style of comedy. Something that is more suited for his own show. Which he is doing now.

25. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I'm not sure what is your definition of "comedy", but let's say that I made a mistake at work (because we are all humans, we make mistakes) then my coworker comes, finds the mistake then immediately becomes so emotional and calls me name and humiliates me in front of others. Later on we have a meeting with the HR department about this event and then my coworker says that "he was just joking". Kind of salty "style of comedy" isn't it? Or maybe I didn't get the jokes? :confused: