main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek AOS] Halcyon Dawn one Shot for a Mini-Game. ~Nyota & her mom.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jul 30, 2022.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Disclaimer: Borrowing after donkey's years. [face_laugh]
    #5 in the Uncle Iroh challenge:
    "In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Thanks to the amazing @devilinthedetails for this yummy quote and for introducing me to such great characters in ATLA :cool:
    And to @Mira_Jade who started this whole AU thingy where Nyota and Spock were apart for a bit of time and then got back together (like in Austen's Persuasion) ;)

@};-

~~~

Akilah had grieved for her daughter's pain and struggles. Even though Nyota had succeeded professionally and was surrounded by a bunch of loving, genuine friends, something had gone dormant and still when her love had departed.

While Nyota could intellectually respect his choice and even admire it, it had still torn her heart and shattered it.

"I don't know if I will ever be ready to let someone in again," she had confided to her Mom.

Akilah had stroked Nyota's shoulder in sympathy and said, "And if by even the remotest chance your paths should cross again?"

Nyota bit her lip, but she could not hide the involuntary glow in her eyes and the leap in her heart at the very mention/notion.

Akilah chuckled and hugged her.

"Is it silly to hope, Mom?" Nyota whispered.

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." Akilah replied. "And you're one of the strongest people I know."

So, when, incidentally, their paths did cross again, and more than that, they joyously reconciled, Nyota said with a blissful ripple of laughter, "Hopes realized... there's nothing sweeter! The darkness transforms into a dawning day."

Indulgently, Spock gazed at her. "You are being sentimental and poetic, as is your wont, Nyota love. But it is something, frankly, I have dearly missed."

She gave no answer save to pounce.

+++

^:)^

Still [face_mischief]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great advice from her mother giving Nyota the strength to find her love again

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha So happy Iroh's quote could inspire this sweet story from you, and it is a pleasure and an honor to think I could introduce you to some of the wonderful characters in ATLA who have stolen my heart[:D]

This story really captured the essence of Iroh's quote about hope being something we give ourselves in the darkest times, and about how that hope in the darkest times is the true meaning of inner strength.

I think Nyota's feeling of not knowing whether she will ever be able to let someone else in would resonate with anyone who has ever been hurt in love or by making oneself vulnerable and open in any way. That can be such a painful and lost feeling that you capture so well in the first part of this story as Nyota wrestles with it and is consoled by her mother.

Nyota's question about whether it was silly to hope was one I could definitely relate to because so often when I am going through hard times it can feel dangerous in a sense to hope too much for the hard times ever to end as that can feel like setting myself up for future heartbreak (and being foolish), but of course, that hope isn't foolish as Nyota's mother so beautifully assures her here. Hope is that gift we give ourselves in the tough, dark times, and having that hope, far from making us weak or foolish, makes us very strong.

And I really loved the bit you added to Iroh's initial quote: "And you're one of the strongest people I know." So powerful and so true to the encouraging spirit of Iroh's quote[face_love]

Then to end with the realization of the hope and the transformation of darkness into day (as Nyota puts it) was well-done. As was Spock's admission that he had missed Nyota being sentimental and poetic. =D=

What a way to end a fic! I think Nyota and Spock have some very romantic times up ahead;)

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Aw, sweet image and words. :)

5. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Uhura and Spock? I wouldn't have believed it... until I saw it. :) and now I can't unsee it. :p

Well done, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha =D=

And truly laughed out loud at the last sentence, imaging Uhura pouncing. :D

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.
    Before S/U were a couple I always thought it'd be awesome if they were; I always got the sense there was an undertone or maybe that was wishful thinking. It's like the best thing since chocolate [face_laugh] Or in the SW fandom, Luke and Mara. [face_love] I imagine Uhura to be a very passionate and joyous person so yeah. Who wouldn't POUNCE? LOL [face_mischief]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Vek Talis likes this.