main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Kotor Remake is happening?
    Kotor Remake? Is happening?
    Is Kotor remake happening?
    Kotor? Remake? Is? Happening?

Gerak, AusStig and Ramza like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Apparently this had been worked on for 3 years

AusStig likes this.
  3. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I didn't mean to imply that the OG KotOR would be made unavailable. My comment was "I'm not sad I don't have the remake because I still have the original" not "I'm not sad I don't have the remake because if I did I wouldn't have the original."

And, sure, Lucasfilm can have both a Revan video game and a Revan movie or whatever, but I definitely think having Revan's story told in a video game makes it less likely they would use him prominently in a movie. In the same way that Qi'ra being featured in the comics is a canary there aren't plans for her to make an appearance elsewhere.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It wasn't a criticism. Originals being made unavailable, sadly, isn't an unreasonable thing to suspect. Gaming is a crappy industry.

Revan is a kind of a unique case. The remake was going to be Legends, so they could do both. Though whether they will depends on how much you want to read into RoS' Revan Legion on Exegol.

Which I could see them weaving through a new take on Revan, but that's entirely speculation.

Ginkasa likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's also a license to eat money.

AusStig and Slater like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I can totally believe “There will be a KOTOR remake someday” in an abstract sense but I’d be hard pressed to believe it was this one.

8. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Maybe the real Kotor remake was the friends we made along the way

9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    The companions we gathered?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Darkside version: The companions you killed or who abandoned you.

Gerak and AusStig like this.
  11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I play games to get away from reality that's just my everyday!

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

13. I still think the original KOTOR games hold up very well to have Remakes

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2022
    AusStig likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, apparently the KotOR 2 bug has now been fixed. Might be time to check that out.

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think a remake could update the combat and polish the graphics. Like "Destroy all humans".

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a remaster and both original games have had those done recently.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Honestly I think that is all KOTOR would need.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What the original KotOR needs badly are the options Beamdog added to Baldur's Gate for a wider, casual audience. Wouldn't hurt the game at all.

I think K2 has something along those lines too but held off buying it. Might be the right time to now do so.

19. IgnusDei

IgnusDei Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2019
    Well, I'm a little disappointed, but from what I've read the remake was going to be a disaster, anyway.

I'd love it if Square Enix picked it up. It's not likely, but a man can dream.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Just reading the details on this now and... holy hell does Disney desperately need to hire someone with even basic knowledge of the video game industry. Like, I've seen the stories about how it's a blind spot for them and how that has enabled EA in particular to do bad things with the license but this sounds like just an absolute delusion and/or con job on the part of the company they'd contracted. Like, this should be blatantly obvious stuff even given the industry's bad habits.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Disney’s approach to video games was infamous even before the acquisition. They license games, see those make money, so they decide to do it in house, then they realize in house costs money, so they go back to licensing, again and again. I’m not surprised they’re struggling with a license as broadly well-regarded for some of its video games as Star Wars (and naïvely assuming that a big studio was automatically the best fit - even if they had competing brands! - which is definitely what happened with EA, was silly).

As for Aspyr, yeah, I’ve been baffled since the announcement. They do Unix ports. Mediocre Unix ports. And it seems to have backfired as much as my most cynical predictions would have guessed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Gerak and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Isn't the whole idea of a KOTOR remake rather awkward? You want to fit it into the new continuity, so you have to go through and sand off all the parts that don't fit...and then you probably want to give Revan a voice...new graphics, new gameplay mechanics...and at that point it's probably easier just to create a new game from scratch.

24. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I don't think there was ever any indication that the remake would be canon.

I've heard mention of similarly ambitious remakes of old RPGs, but I've never played them. A KOTOR remake would have been interesting, but I can't say I'll be too disappointed if it never materialises. There's always the original, after all.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, the remake was going to be Legends. So they get to tap an existing fanbase, make a pile of cash and still get to do what they want with Revan in the new continuity.

There aren't that many full on remakes of older games. There's Final Fantasy VII Remake but after that? For CRPG and old Bioware? You're probably looking to games like Divinity: Original Sin II or Baldur's Gate III.