main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Luthen Rael

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ewoksimon, Aug 1, 2022.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    So this latest trailer makes pretty clear that Luthen Rael is the third key figure in Andor behind Cassian himself and Mon Mothma. In fact, it seems Rael is the bridge between both worlds: the individual Rebel cells out in the galaxy and the political arena of Coruscant.

Really looking forward to what Stellan Skarsgård brings to the table. He's always reliable.

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Skarsgard is a wonderful actor, lazily firing off glares, winks and devastating rebuttals while still keeping a few cards under the table, he reminds me of Phillip Seymor Hoffman, but more bitter. Making him the hero is a clever bit of counter-casting as he usually plays the villain in genre flicks, so as an Imperial insider he can still be a shark among sharks. Will be interesting to learn his motivations for rebellion, idealism, duty, revenge? Seems he is an aristocrat, probably a hold over from the Old Republic. As we don't know much about him compared to Cassian, Mothma and Saw, he might be the most intriguing character just by default.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He's already one of my favorite Star Wars characters and I've heard like five lines from him.

4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    He also appears to get a haircut after his scenes on Coruscant, makes me wonder if those are from earlier episodes that his meetings with Saw and Cassian.

Edit: perhaps both Luthen and Mon figure out fairly early on in the season that they are both against the Empire. He then leaves to recruit people for the fledgling rebellion, while she remains behind to oppose Palpatine in the Senate.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Sproj and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm considering the possibility that Luthen is the initial "leader" of the fledgling rebellion but does not survive, causing Mon Mothma into the position, which would give her a bit of a character growth arc.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder what his ties to the Origins of the Rebellion is. In deleted scenes off ROTS, we have Bail Organa and Mon Mothma. Maybe Bail helped recruit Luthen to the cause early on. Mon Mothma was still a young senator and needed a leadwr to guide her. And Bail coundt guide her all the time. Hope we see Stellan Skarsgard and Jimmy Smiths interact together.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    "A lot people think the term railing against the Empire has something to do with The Great Safety Rail Heist in the early days of the Rebellion, but it's a little known fact that it's actually Raeling against the Empire, spelled R-A-E-L-i-n-g..... coined after a Rebel fellow named Luthen Rael." -- Bren Derlin

8. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Makes sense. The fact that he seems to be a new and high profile character in a prequel and therefor doesn't appear anywhere else after chronologically heavily implies he's not gonna make it.

Unless of course the WBW comes into play :p

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He will be the one Ahsoka rescues out of all time and space.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I wonder what the idea behind his name is.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Luthen Rael
    Plagueis

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    :eek::eek::eek: It all makes sense now

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I guess we assume he isn't making out of this series alive.

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I've always been a fan of Luthen.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I really loved this character in the trailer, looking forward to learning more about him.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Skarsgaard is automatically playing a great character no matter what. That’s who he is.

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm guessing his ship is called the Hasgo Lebro and the pop-up working twin blaster cannons and rotating wings are special modifications?

Golbolco likes this.
  18. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Martin Luther?

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Look at all the relics he has! Clearly he's been Lootin!

Darth Caliban and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    So... is he going to nail his theses to the door of the former Jedi temple?

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Really nice demonstration of the layers to Skarsgård's performance this week. His world weariness has been evident from the beginning, but the moment when he barked at Vel when she kept giving him grief was startling. And of course, his practiced, mannered persona on Coruscant added to his complexity. Good stuff.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Luthien Rael is such intresting character, I wonder who he was before the Birth of the empire.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I loved the transformation. He stood there, put on his rings, fixed his hair, and then practiced his joyful laugh. And then stopped, with his fake smile gone, and walked forward.

A great little moment.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Skarsgård has given us one of the most nuanced performances in Star Wars so far. Really loving his character; mostly because of his performance.

25. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 17X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Luthen is straight up, straight to the point, all business. Love his character and sad as heck he didn’t make it to R1.