main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    I believe it started off as a visual nod and wink to Kurosawa’s Yojimbo, and then it just evolved into a GFFA trope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  2. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    In the novel Dark Rendezvous, Dooku and Yoda duel for their second time since Geonosis. I can't recall any specific details of their dialogues, but they talk to each other quite a bit in the novel.

And, other than being a piece of cinematic history, I think having Yoda duel Dooku in Episode II sets up two important aspects of the story to come. It foreshadows the Master vs. Apprentice gone-bad duel we'll see in Episode III. And it also helps give us a measuring stick as to just how powerful Anakin became when he tapped into the dark side and made fairly quick work of Dooku, while with Yoda, it was a stalemate.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Kato Sai likes this.
  3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Yoda & Dooku in DR is basically Jesus and Satan; Yoda agrees to try to let Dooku turn him to the dark side.

As it turns out dark side Yoda is so damn scary that Dooku is literally terrified and doesn't go through with it.

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Biggs tells Porkins to eject, but what would protect him in space when he ejects?

Sith Lord 2015 and BlackRanger like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe the Legendsverse went with "force fields in the suit or the ejector seat".

AndyLGR likes this.
  6. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    There were full-face helmets designed for the Rebel pilots at one point, with large visors to show their eyes inside the helmets, but they were rejected in favor of open helmets showing the actors' whole faces, while keeping the TIE pilots in full-face helmets. It was a deliberate cinematic choice that emphasizes the individuality of the Rebels vs. the inhumanity of the Empire.

Science? Physics? What are those? ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Sarge, Sith Lord 2015 and AndyLGR like this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Is it just my eyes, but does the skirt on Vaders helmet seem shorter when we see him first enter the rebel base on Hoth and also when Admrial Piett tells him that the Emperor wants him to make contact when they're in the asteroid field?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    BlackRanger likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know about shorter, but I'd say it's sometimes set lower. When Vader's in the mediation chamber, it seems like the bottom of the helmet brushes his shoulders:

[​IMG]

BlackRanger likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And then he would land safely on the surface of the Death Star until his squad successfully blow it up. This guy can't catch a break.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    That sounds like a typical retcon or the EU trying to fix obvious oversights in the movies. Maybe Lucas picked that phrase up watching old war movies, and thought it sounded "cool"? He certainly didn't gave it much logical thought. "Eject" in deep space to WHAT? To land WHERE? He also must have forgotten - full-head helmets or not - that parachutes don't work in vacuum. [face_laugh]
    While we are at it, here is another thing in the battle of Yavin that never made much sense to me. In that briefing room in the temple the pilots are told to approach the target shaft head-on, at a 90° angle. That would seem pretty logical to me. But even THAT was considered hard or "impossible, even for a computer".
    But when they do attack they have to approach it by flying through a trench along the surface, the target shaft being located at the bottom of which, and the reactor shaft being at a right angle to their flight path, not directly ahead. Impossible to fly along the trench at a high speed and fire those torpedoes into the opening at a right angle. The Rebels would have to leave the trench, fly up for a certain distance, then dive down again after a 180° turn in order to fire into it. As is shown in the computer model of the DS, the shaft goes straight down from the surface vertically to connect directly to the main reactor at the center of the DS - no corners, bends or curves there. But we never saw them do that. The novelization confirms that.
    So what was the goal of the whole approach? Firing torpedoes right into the shaft or some kind of basketball or golf game in space? [face_rofl]
    The torpedoes are shown flying in a curve and then somehow manage to "fall" into the shaft - or wait... is it a "plot hole" the missiles are actually falling into? 8-}

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    By RL analogy, the F-111 ejected the entire sealed cockpit. So conceivably, the ejection seat in an X-Wing was its own escape pod with emergency survival gear.

I tend to remember a Legends era book, where Luke's X-Wing broke down and was floating in space for a time, and there was some discussion of this. Of course, I may be imagining that.

Sith Lord 2015, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    By RL analogy, the F-111 ejected the entire sealed cockpit. So conceivably, the ejection seat in an X-Wing was its own escape pod with emergency survival gear.

I tend to remember a Legends era book, where Luke's X-Wing broke down and was floating in space for a time, and there was some discussion of this. Of course, I may be imagining that.[/QUOTE]
    Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire had a scene along those lines.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire had a scene along those lines.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking it was in the Zahn's trilogy, but couldnt remember. Thanks

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Mara Jade ejects from a Z-95 Headhunter cockpit in the finale of Dark Force Rising. It evidently isn't all that safe to do so, because she ends up with "minor brain damage" and literally has to have parts of her synapses rewired before she wakes up from a medically induced coma in The Last Command.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it wasn't just that she'd ejected, but that she'd ejected into ion cannon fire (and shrapnel):

By chance—or perhaps last—second instinct her crippled fighter was aimed almost directly at the first Star Destroyer s hangar entry port. If she could coax a little more power out of the auxiliary maneuvering system …
    It took more than a little coaxing, but when she finally gripped the eject loop again she had the satisfaction of knowing that even in death the Z-95 would take a minor bit of revenge on the Empire's war machine. Not much, but a little.
    She pulled down on the loop, and an instant later was slammed hard into her seat as explosive bolts blew the canopy clear and catapulted her out of the ship. She got a quick glimpse of the Star Destroyer's portside edge, an even quicker glimpse of a TIE fighter whipping past—
    And suddenly there was an agonized squeal from the ejection seat's electronics, and the violent crackle of arcing circuits … and with a horrible jolt Mara realized that she had made what might very well be the last mistake of her life. Intent on aiming her crippled Z-95 at the Star Destroyer's hangar bay, she had drifted too close to the giant ship and ejected directly into the path of the Dreadnaughts' ion beam bombardment.
    And in that single crackle of tortured electronics she had lost everything. Her comm, her lights, her limited maneuvering jets, her life support regulator, her emergency beacons.
    Everything.
    For a second her thoughts flickered to Skywalker. He'd been lost in deep space, too, awhile back.
    But she'd had a reason to find him. No one had a similar reason to find her.
    A flaming TIE fighter roared past her and exploded. A large piece of shrapnel glanced off the ceramic armor that wrapped partially around her shoulders, slamming her head hard against the side of the headrest.
    And as she fell into the blackness, she saw the Emperor's face before her. And knew that she had again failed him.

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Quick question here as I don't know where else to ask and I don't think it warrants a thread.

When was it established (retconned?) that humans in the GFFA can understand the beeps and whistles of droids?

In ANH C-3PO translates R2-D2 for Luke around the time he stumbles across the recording of Leia, yes?
    I always understood that Luke had a translator in his X-wing to enable communication between pilot and astromech.
    I interpreted the exchanges between Luke and R2 on Dagobah in TESB as not real conversations and more Luke just saying the stuff he thought with R2 beeping in reply even though he knows he won't be understood.
    I don't recall anywhere in the PT where a human had a conversation with a droid that doesn't use words.

Or do I have all this wrong and humans have always been able to conversate with non verbal droids in the GFFA? (eg. Poe has a proper conversation with BB-8)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan appears to be talking to Artoo when he first finds an unconscious Luke - Artoo beeps, and Obi-Wan responds with "He'll be all right".

Come here, my little friend. Don't be afraid.
    [Beep Blip Blip]
    Oh, don't worry. He'll be all right.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think certain sounds might be common knowledge to people, like sounds expressing worry, sadness, annoyance, happiness, etc... It's meant to be understood by the audience as well. It's like a dog.

But to actually exchange information they need something to translate. 3PO translates R2's messages to people, multiple times. And we see R2's messages being displayed to Anakin and Luke on their ships.

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Droids was a mandatory language requirement at the Jedi Temple.

BlackRanger, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just like Groot was an elective at Asgard U.

Bazinga'd and Iron_lord like this.
  21. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, on a TVTropes page (Kes Dameron's TV tropes character page, specifically), it says that "Poe later commented that Kes became disillusioned by the ineffectiveness of the New Republic and the rise of the First Order" does anyone know when/where Poe says that? 'Cause I don't remember reading that anywhere.

22. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    How long can I go just post madly?

23. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually power levels don’t work in SW. Dooku takes out Obi in that same duel, Anakin beats Dooku, then Obi beats Anakin/Vader? Its all plot relevance related; whatever furthers the plot.

BlackRanger and wreath like this.
  24. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    How are the Jedi financed?

Where do they get all their money to pay for their missions, their ships, the daily monumental costs of running the Temple?

Were they funded by the Republic? In which case, that's taxpayer's money. In that light, I'd never thought about it before but they are pretty much legally bound to toe the Republic's line on political issues and somewhat less beholden to the Force above all for guidance.

Was the temple paid bonuses for succesful missions, such as brokering deals on trade route blocade disputes?

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  25. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Good question. Did the Jedi Order have a massive portfolio of stocks and bonds? Or did people deposit their wealth with the Jedi for safekeeping, like the Templars in medieval Europe? In fact, the Templars got so wealthy that the King of France had a pliable Pope dissolve their order and kill the leaders to get his hands on their loot. I smell a story thread...

Sarge and Bor Gullet like this.