main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Ultimate Drabble Challenge X: The Drabble Strikes Back! - Week 20 is here!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Aug 8, 2022.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    UDC X: The Drabble Strikes Back!

Hello, fellow writers! It's a true pleasure to bring back a tried-and-true boards classic for another round of mini-fanfiction goodness. That's right: the Ultimate Drabble Challenge is here again!

What is a Drabble, You Ask?

A drabble is a piece of writing that is exactly 100 words in length. For an author, the ability to express a complete idea in such a confined space can be tricky – but that's half the fun of the game.

However, the same as with last time, we're going to try something a little different. If you so choose, you can post APPROXIMATELY a hundred words - a little less, a little more, it doesn't matter! I repeat: your drabbles do not have to be exactly a hundred words. We're not going to make any hard and fast rules as to what constitutes a little less or a little more, either. That's your choice as an author! For those who don't enjoy sculpting their drabble into a perfect hundred words, that's okay! We want to take as much stress as possible from the challenge and let anyone who wants to participate however they can!

The Challenge

The goal of this challenge is to write a hundred drabbles in twenty weeks! Every Monday, a set of five prompts will be posted, and you will then have a week to work on writing your drabble set. For those authors who complete all twenty weeks, you will have triumphed over the challenge and win ultimate bragging rights!

The Rules

1. Each week's five drabbles must be posted together, in one go. These drabbles are intended as sets, not individual prompts.

2. You may rearrange the order of the week's prompts if necessary. Again, we're trying to encourage as much creativity as possible.

3. To keep things neat and tidy, please keep your drabbles in one thread. Include UDC X in your header, so that other readers can easily find your drabbles, too!

4. Once your thread is up, post a link here so that your collection can be included in the index. You may also share a link when you update throughout the challenge.

5. When posting your drabble thread, tagging can be tricky. Do your best, and tag with the era(s) you think you will predominantly write for.

6. You can jump in on this challenge at any time! Latecomers are always welcome, but you must start the challenge at the beginning and do all the prompts in order.

7. NSWFF drabbles are welcome, too! These drabbles will be all fandom friendly. (Only, please note that if you do a multi-fandom entry, Star Wars drabbles must be posted on the Star Wars side of things. NSWFF is for non-Star Wars fan fiction only.)

8. Get creative with interpreting the prompts! Thread a story through all five drabbles, try your hand at dialogue only, give us a slice of introspection – the sky's the limit!

9. Again, a traditional drabble is exactly 100 words. (For those who need it, a handy dandy word counter can be found here.) However, imperfect drabbles that fall short of or exceed the hundred word mark are still welcome.

10. Have fun! [:D]

Something a Little Different

For this time around, each week will have three bonus prompts. These prompts will serve two purposes. One, they are available to provide extra inspiration for those overachievers out there who won't be able to get enough out of a mere hundred drabbles. Two, if you are stuck on any of the prompts for a particular week, you are free to swap out a prompt for one of the bonus prompts, instead. Again, the goal of this challenge is to inspire as much creativity and productivity as possible.

That said, let's get to drabbling!

Previous Ultimate Drabble Challenges

(Please note that only UDCs VII, VIII, and IX are completely navigable due to truncation issues.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  2. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The Index of Prompts
    Week 1

1. Prelude
    2. Bygone
    3. Impend
    4. Descend
    5. Arise

Imminent
    Erstwhile
    Perpetual

Week 2

6. Battlefield
    7. Opponent
    8. General
    9. Knight
    10. Ceasefire

Saber
    Armor
    Kneel

Week 3

11. Inlay
    12. Outrun
    13. Withdraw
    14. Partake
    15. Uphold

Undo
    Waylay
    Overtake

Week 4

16. Breeze
    17. Idyll
    18. Shade
    19. Balm
    20. Linger

Frolic
    Haven
    Succor

Week 5

21. Astray
    22. Temerity
    23. Nuance
    24. Duress
    25. Perception

Prolix
    Tenebrous
    Inertia

Week 6

26. Splash
    27. Rumble
    28. Thump
    29. Flutter
    30. Crackle

Rattle
    Glug
    Twang
    *Swish

Week 7

31. Obstruct
    32. Infuse
    33. Obtain
    34. Immerse
    35. Dissipate

Squander
    Aggregate
    Coalesce

Week 8

36. Squall
    37. Tide
    38. Surf
    39. Current
    40. Depth

Undertow
    Doldrums
    Celerity

Week 9

41. Per Se
    42. Ad Hoc
    43. Vice Versa
    44. De Facto
    45. Et Cetera

Quid Pro Quo
    Carpe Diem
    Ad Astra

Week 10

46. Tetchy
    47. Prudent
    48. Daring
    49. Ornery
    50. Jovial

Gregarious
    Mischievous
    Ostentatious

Week 11

51. Heretofore
    52. Unbeknownst
    53. Henceforth
    54. Notwithstanding
    55. Forevermore

Homeward
    Nevermore
    Wherewithal

Week 12

56. Pebble
    57. Boulder
    58. Loam
    59. Flint
    60. Gravel

Detritus
    Monolith
    Lodestone

Week 13

61. Several
    62. Neither
    63. Another
    64. Anything
    65. Everything

Someone
    Ourselves
    Whichever

Week 14

66. Axis
    67. Contour
    68. Meridian
    69. Nadir
    70. Zenith

Vertex
    Parallax
    Syzygy

Week 15

71. Hush-hush
    72. Topsy-turvy
    73. Fuddy-duddy
    74. Wishy-washy
    75. Pitter-patter

Dilly-dally
    Creepy-crawly
    Hoity-toity

Week 16

76. Incendiary
    77. Scruple
    78. Careen
    79. Piquant
    80. Emphasis

Patina
    Infest
    Corner

Week 17

81. Amber
    82. Verdant
    83. Cerulean
    84. Scarlet
    85. Obsidian

Xanthic
    Vermeil
    Lavender

Week 18

86. Might
    87. Paralyze
    88. Aspire
    89. Thwart
    90. Measure

Imperil
    Smother
    Flourish

Week 19

91. Island
    92. Gorge
    93. Cove
    94. Torrent
    95. Summit

Precipice
    Quagmire
    Rivulet

Week 20

96. Cosmic
    97. Living
    98. Mindful
    99. Luminous
    100. Redeem

Intangible
    Transend
    Foreseen

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  3. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The Index of Replies
    Star Wars

Drabble Scum, by brodiew

Enter the Drabble, by ViariSkywalker

From Such Infinite Space, by Mira_Jade

Gazing at the Distant Lights, by Kahara

On The Creation of Monsters, by vader_incarnate

Tales from the Temple, by Kit'

They See Me Drabblin', They Hatin', by SupermassiveUbersue

We Have Drabbles, by Raissa Baiard

X marks the spot, by earlybird-obi-wan

Non Star Wars

Fragmentary (Top Gun), by DaenaBenjen42

Keepsake Bouquets, Moments to Fondly Recall (Multi-fandom), by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Through These Tangled Threads of Light (Stranger Things), by amidalachick

2022 Drabble Challenge Response (L&O: OC), by Tarsier

Ad Hoc Entries Inspired by the Prompts

Holovid & Chill, by SupermassiveUbersue

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  5. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Oh, heck yeah. [face_mischief]

I haven't done one of these since UDC IV, and I've never actually finished a drabble challenge either. Let's see if I can do better this time around... [face_batting]

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have seen the entire list of prompts and will be here to witness the madness they will inspire.

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Woohoo, our first victim- erm, participant! Yes, participant is what I meant to say. ;)

You know that I am looking forward to anything and everything you come up with! [face_dancing] [:D]

The singular way you revel in chaos should be in your title somewhere - though I suppose it is at least implied as part of your job description. :p ;)

That said: yeeees, soooo much madness! I can't wait. It's going to be a riot. [face_mischief] [face_whistling] [face_batting]

8. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    You know, considering my usual subject matter, I think you guys might be the victims here. [face_mischief]

[:D] (Let's hope I can stick with it this time around :p)

I think I can guarantee a little madness on my end. Certainly some chaos at the very least... [face_whistling]

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Well, I wrote a drabble just to see if I could still do it…so I guess I’m in :D

10. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
  11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    No! I'm trying to finish my long-fic and all the July prompts from Reddit...and I was only thinking about this Drabble collection the other day and how much I wished it was happening and now it is happening and...and...and...and I don't know how to feel.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Try to describe your feelings using words from the prompt list.

Kit', ViariSkywalker , Kahara and 3 others like this.
  13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    There may be a greater basis for your logic than I would like to admit. ;) (But still, bring it on. [face_mischief])

YES! Obviously, that's a win for the rest of us. ;) :D [:D]

Look at you go, that's awesome! I added your thread to the index. :D

You feel like you're definitely going to join in on the madness again. After all, just remember how much fun we had last time around. [face_mischief] [face_batting]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  14. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    SAME (okay, it was like a month ago I was thinking about it but still :p)!

I love the drabble challenge so much and I want to but at the same time I don't want to.

Regardless, I'm really glad to see this challenge back and I hope it inspires lots of fun times and awesome stories! :)

15. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Thanks for giving me the inspiration to write about a sociopathic space necromancer instead of doing laundry. [face_party]

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  17. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Ask, and you shall receive: Enter the Drabble

[face_mischief] [face_batting]

18. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
  19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Here’s my first week for “We Have Drabbles”, featuring some KOTOR era drabbles with one of my obscure OCs. :D

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This is already an AWESOME crop of drabbles, and the Index has been updated to reflect as much!

I also have my own collection started in From Such Infinite Space. :D

22. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    **stares at prompts...** I'm not... no, I'm really not. (I might, and I already actually planned to and it wasn't happening.) If it happens, it happens. Have fun and good writing, everyone. :)

amidalachick, Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Now, it's my pleasure to share . . .

Week 2

6. Battlefield
    7. Opponent
    8. General
    9. Knight
    10. Ceasefire

Saber
    Armor
    Kneel

:D

24. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    It is always nice to give more depth to my OC characters with these drabbles.
    The next 5 have Finn and his friends but are focussing on Jocasta Nu and Thame Cerulian in X marks the spot

Kahara, Kit', amidalachick and 2 others like this.