main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Scott McSideways pass isn't capable of doing what ETH wants in midfield.
    Fred probably could but he was played as basically a DM today which he's not good at.
    VDB & Garner are better

Maguire can't magically gain pace

If he can't get them to do what he wants then it's up to the club to get him players that will.
    Ideally before we're miles behind in the table

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    No Maguire can't gain pace but his positional play up till last season was good and with good positioning and ability to read the game covers for that lack of pace. I would question the coaching that means he's lost that defensive nous he did have.

McTominey is probably better as a defender (he certainly is for Scotland)
    Fred should be further forward I agree but this is where the need for that DM is noted (for 3 years)

VDB is better further forwards and Garner needs another season on loan (and also isn't a DM)

The chase for De Jong is ridiculous as even he isn't a DM (although he's more of one that what you have right now). You would be far better going for Neves or Tielemans (or both) AND a striker.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well United may get Marko Arnautovich which would solve all their problems.

[face_laugh]

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Have to correct you on one point, Burt, FDJ is a DM. In that electric 18-19 Ajax squad he was usually in the left DM slot, and he can actually do a decent job as a CB in a pinch. It’s Barcelona who have tried to reengineer him into more of an attacking role, with sometimes great results. He’s probably one of the more flexible MFs in the world.

Now, should ManU be wasting so much time, effort, and potentially money on him? Comedy rules of thumb say “god yes.”

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this braga/sporting portugal game may be the best i've watched all weekend.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've always seen him as more of a playmaker. A Carrick sort of player, Carrick was never really that destroyer sort of DM, he was more into a perfect challenge and distribution. United need a player who can destroy opposition attacks and impose themselves in the midfield right now considering the fragility of their defence. Neves/Tielemans are perfect for that role, I don't personally see FDJ in that role.

On the basis he's extremely versatile may explain why there is a difference in perception on his role. He is a bloody good midfielder and I understand why United are after him but, the continued chasing is just utterly lol

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this habit of united getting attached to one and only one transfer target that will supposedly make-or-break their team is also noticeable. it was dybala, then it was sancho, and now it is frenkie.

there are tons of good defensive midfielders who can pair with fred. this summer ibrahim sangare, marcelo brozovic, niklas dorsch, wilfred ndidi all should have been linked to united. brozovic would be a little expensive, and leicester would gouge united for ndidi, but for god's sake, it's better than spending months standing in the waiting room for de jong (who probably is not much better than any of those four). would not think that ten hag's system is so restrictive that it only fits one player.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But it likely fits a more Carrick type of player than a more aggressive physical type of DM

Plenty of good DMs, but if they can't do what ETH wants he won't approve them.
    I think honestly he's had limited scouting time because the scouting team had been working under Rangnick and looking at what he liked. ETH didn't like any of Ragnick's choices which meant they had to start over in May
    Now prices are high because they waited too long

Sangare plays in the dutch league so you'd think ETH knows him well enough.
    So he may know he's not right for the system he's creating

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    timo werner headed back to leipzig, permanent deal, so says fabrizio.

i will miss him, he makes exciting runs and seems like a nice teammate. just had the same yips in front of goal that fernando torres did during his time in a blue jersey. hopefully he finds his form again back home.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Timo Werner is a great player totally unsuited for the premier league. Or at least unsuited for Chelsea in the premier league.

His link up play is good and if played as an out and out forward he can be devastating (see goal return at RB Leipzig).

Would have been a good signing for Newcastle to support their up and coming status, the Hammers could have used him effectively and dare I say would have been a solid forward option for the United side of Manchester provided he was played as a forward and not a wide player.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems we'd rather sign Arnautovic
    For some reason

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    arnautovic is a bit of a racist, i believe.

united also in for rabiot from juve (who do not want him), but now have to negotiate personal terms with his mother, who acts as his agent lol.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say "Somehow I think Rabiot will not get an Mbappé-esque dream package from his mother's negotiations" although this is United we're talking about.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    heels1785 likes this.
  14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Rabiot and Arnautovic?

Absolute lols

Gone Mobile

heels1785 and Ramza like this.
  15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    What's the deal with Rabiot? I'm not familiar with him or his antics and I feel like I'm missing out.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He's one of those guys with a lot of miscellaneous "discipline issues" that read a lot like being really full of himself. Missing practices, complaining about managerial decisions, dropping out of France's reserves out of spite for not being first team, etc. etc.

Luckily ManU don't already have a bunch of prima donnas or there could be ahahahahahahaha

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    FatBurt likes this.
  17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I think Man Utd should sign him immediately. Really take the banter club title away from Arsenal.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    his motheragent is also a purveyor of chaos. every single club he's been a part of (in addition to the national team, where she fought with the mbappe and pogba families in the stands), she leaves her mark.

the last thing on ****ing earth that manchester united football club needs right now is to sign rabiot and arnautovic. like those would be the two players that they would sign if jurgen klopp or kenny dalglish wished to the magic genie from aladdin to give them control of united for one day.

Ramza likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Which means Man U will probably do it.
    Right, he's actually been adapted by Barca to a position that was not really his original / main one.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dortmund have signed anthony modeste from köln, who had a great goal celebration last year that involved his coach's hat:

unfortunately, he was signed due to a need at striker with sebastien haller, obtained from ajax this summer, beginning his chemo treatments for testicular cancer. hope he is well soon, he's a great player.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The new CB for Manchester Untied is short, too short for a PL CB, really. Is it possible the intention is to use him as a DM, and they just could not at the weekend for whatever reason?

if the intention is to use him and Maguire as the CB pair, that is 140 quids worth of lols.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Plenty of the great all-time CBs were under 6ft.
    Both Timber & Martinez are & they played ETH's system very well

If United want an actual CDM they could have bought one for much less than £55mil

Martinez & Varane would be a good pairing, but Maguire won't be dropped despite his obvious limitations

No interest in Rabiot, though he is cheap & better than what we currently have in midfield.
    Him and De Jong might be quite good, but Rabiot + Fred or McTominay isn't going to succeed

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    He’s a big unit who knows where the back of the net is. I’d have him. We actually did have him once.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not long-term though

It's another Falcao, Ighalo, Cavani signing

Sesko is a promising striker with long-term potential, I'd rather sign him.
    Plus he doesn't have controversy hanging over him as far as I know

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sesko is off to Leipzig

Gone Mobile