main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph They're creepy and they're kooky; The Addams Family Franchise

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure if there's another thread for the Addams Family franchise, but I figured I'd start one. The latest trailer dropped for the new "Wednesday" series. It looks pretty good IMO. I know there's a slew of other shows airing this fall (like Cobra Kai, the new LOTR series, and Willow), but depending on how often these shows air, I'm sure I could probably binge-watch some of them in a week.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Wednesday Addams and the Goblet of Freaks

Luke02 likes this.
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I know nothing about the guy playing Gomez, but CZJ is interesting . The fact this has Tim Burton's style means he is GREATLY in his element.
    lm glad the double snap is in, iiconic. So overall this looks great

Edit: it needs to release on Wednesday for full effect

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    PCCViking likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord and Thena like this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't know why some people seem to be getting mad about Luis Gusmán playing Gomez

I mean, Raul Julia was Latino and the character's name is Gomez for god's sake

Jedi Merkurian and Kato Sai like this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is a Luis Guzman show?! I was pretty determined to stay away from this but that alone has me watching the trailer.

EDIT: Nope, still not ever going to watch this in life. But Luis Guzman is cool. RESPECT.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Also, he's pretty much a dead-ringer for the comics version.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Exactly

I love Raul Julia as Gomez, but his depiction is not that accurate to how the character is supposed to look Vs the comics and the recent animated movies.

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Raul Julia was able to pull of a sexy Gomez, Luis Gusman will do a good job, but he doesn’t bring the sexy part.

Sorry LG fans, but Raul had a voice that could make a girl swoon. Too bad he died young.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Ahsoka's Tano and PCCViking like this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm willing to give Guzman the benefit of the doubt. Unlike the movie versions, this series is more about the title character anyway; not her parents.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Look, the reason you hire Guzman (and KZJ) is because... no one's going to out-do Anjelica Huston or Raul Julia in what they did in modern culture. The only way it works is if you do something different. Sure, you can play a lot of the same mannerisms and motivations, but as an actor you act it differently.

What's funny is: we're five years beyond the 25 years between the end of the TV show and the first Addams Family movie when you could reasonably erase Carolyn Jones but more importantly John Astin. It's been thirty years since Addams Family Values and still Huston/Julia aren't going to be outdone.

The one thing that's interesting to me is that with all of the publicity, and information -- the producers are intentionally going out of their way to not confirm anything about Fester. Personally, I'm not of the opinion their gender-bending Fester and that's who Ricci will be playing, but there's also no reason to be intentionally dismissive if there's not a cameo of some form. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Astin was Fester in this, but that seems unlikely too...

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    DA HELL YOU SAY

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's my point! It took 25 years for someone to do a different (and arguably better) Morticia Addams than Carolyn Jones! :p (just John Astin was waaaaaaaaaay more known as well...)

15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    A suggestion: if you haven't seen Addams Family Values in a while, do so. It's one of the most uproarious, perfect comedies ever made. Literally every joke and gag lands, and the cast (especially Joan Cusack) is having the time of their lives.

I can count the number of great comedy sequels on one hand (A Shot in the Dark, Gremlins 2, A Very Brady Sequel), but Values is among them.

Sarge, Rew and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, this looks like Addams Family meets Harry Potter meets Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

The Addams Family film duology are some of my faves and always watch them around Halloween. I'll def check this out w the wife.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer the first Addams Family movie, but the second movie has grown on me over the decades.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    was Burton ever offered the movies back in the 90's , I mean he was an obvious choice even back then.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, he passed to direct Batman Returns. But also remember, though this was Barry Sonnenfeld's first film as a director, he'd been DP for the Coen Brothers a bunch of times, plus Rob Reiner, Penny Marshall, etc. His sensibilities were well known by that point...

Jedi Merkurian and gezvader28 like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sure if Burton directed the movies, he'd have Helena Bonham Carter playing Morticia. Maybe he'd have Johnny Depp playing Gomez for good measure.

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I just saw fan art of that very thing after googling...and I'm so glad he never did actually.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @DarkGingerJedi That and the Harry Potter films is how we get ready for Halloween. My wife at one time was a huge horror flick fan but not anymore. We actually went has the Addams family last year for Halloween so we were watching both the movies leading up to it. My daughter likes the animated ones so we watch those a bit has well.

[​IMG]

They should make the Mamushka a required dance for DWTS.

@Force Smuggler I agree though I always kind of like it even when it first came out, just enjoyed it more thru the years. Joan Cusack was fabulous in it!

[​IMG]