main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies - The Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd watch this movie.

Jedimarine likes this.
  4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    And a good GM would know the stupid detours the party would take.

Plans within plans within plans.

There is a little Emperor Palpatine in every Game Master. :emperor:

-----------------------

Reminded me of this little gem:

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm not an active player at this point (no time...), but I did keep the habit of carrying my coinage in a dice bag.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Pretty intrigued by the upcoming 5th Edition iteration of Spelljammer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pre-ordered the box set, going to try to get a group together to give it a go next month.

Sarge likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ..... before Planescape? Really, WOTC?

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    The cover art on those books is...very colorful and bright.

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yep. Feels very pulp sci-fi, though obviously intersecting with D&D's more traditional high fantasy. Which is a sort of crossing of genres that appeals greatly to me.

Sarge likes this.
  11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I highly recommend checking out the classic Planescape setting. Not only does it have one of the most unique settings in all of D&D history, the artwork is amazing.

Lordban, Iron_lord and bstnsx704 like this.
  12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Will look into that for sure!

13. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Got my hands on the new 5E Spelljammer release yesterday. Reading through the materials now, and I really can't wait to run the included Light of Xaryxis module (and then expand on it for some of my own stuff) for a group.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    darthhelinith, Sarge and Lordban like this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    PLANESCAPE RETURNS 2023 **** YEAH

Jedi Merkurian and Ramza like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Lordban and Iron_lord like this.
  16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, if that were true, I'd have two entire floor-to-ceiling empty bookshelves.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Lordban and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Still better than the "slay them all, they're evil" Paladin :p

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I had a Paladin in a party once who refused to carry a weapon. His belief was in a fight, if his deity willed him to wield a weapon, it would be provided in the moment.

I tried to play to his character by giving him a "sword in the stone" moment in a dungeon, but he decided a chair leg was a better option.

It did not go well and the campaign fizzled shortly thereafter.

ah, memories...

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Was this at least 3/3.5e so he could take that "No, weapons bad" feat? One of the assorted Vow of Whatever the Nouns?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Nope. 2.5 [face_tee_hee]

22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    okay, not I have any experience, I've been watching some DND campaigns one shots from Critical Roll and a few other ones playing a game called Call of Cthulhu. But it's given me ideas for making a campaign for a session, but trouble is I've never played. I actually have a guy in my unit I could talk to who plays whose said since I'm a writer he could have me write a campaign or something up. But I should probably play a game first before running it to get an idea. I don't know if I should pursue this or not, but I'm just seeking ideas and stuff. Reading up on classes now and everything, all this stuff seems complicated with the sheets and such

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I would recommend you ignore the stat sheets until you are ready to roll a character. A big mistake new players often make is thinking they can "win" the game on the stat sheet...create a character that will meet the challenges of the campaign easily. They read about how important dexterity or intelligence is, and start buffing toward one or both, thinking the story or the GM won't ask for anything else. It never works, and once a character created to "win" doesn't win, it gets to be a burden to play.

If you have a story for your character, flesh that out first...then you can either bounce those ideas off an experienced player/GM who can point you towards certain character kits/classes, or tell you what to focus on when you roll your character.

A Good GM can often conduct a campaign for new players where they need little or no interaction with their sheets. A good campaign can be engrossing without being overly technical. Commitment is key, from all parties involved, not mastery of the material.

If you go in with a good idea among good friends...you're gonna have a good time.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Sarge and Lordban like this.
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The idea is to present a challenge to the players, and a story for them to participate in and create. But, most importantly to have fun!

Call of Cthulhu is a simpler system in many ways than D&D. As one of my favorite systems, I would suggest a low-stakes adventure if you play that - a haunted house is the standard (in fact, "The Haunting", a haunted house adventure that has been in the main rulebook for decades, is one of the most played COC adventures ever).

Playing with pregenerated characters is also a good idea for first-time players, as it allows them to learn how the stats and skills work before making their own characters.

Lordban likes this.
  25. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Okay, so I bought some dice online from a small business company, and I've been looking up characters and such. I've made one on DND beyond, starting with a rogue character seeking redemption essentially.

I see this thing where one can play online somehow? Like Roll20, forge, etc. I may start that. Anyone have experience with any of those sites?