main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of FanForce

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Obi Anne , Sep 13, 2022.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A long time agon, in a very different media landscape Star Wars fans decided it would be fun to meet each other and hang out with other fans. An organization called FanForce was built up around forums, based on location, that would help fans to come together. Soon FanForce was a global organization with local clubs and chapters all over the world, and with regional administrators that could supervise and help the local groups.

Well the time passed and the media landscape changed. Members moved away from the forums to different social media, and the local activities dwindled. We know that there are still local groups out there and we know that there are still Star Wars fans who would love to meet other fans, it is time for FanForce to change, and we want you to be the drive behind the change.

As of now all the regional administrators have been demoted. Many of them hadn’t even logged in for years and were not involved anymore. There are also a lot of forums that see very little activity.

We don't think FanForce is dead as an idea though, we still think people would like to meet up with other local fans. The question is though, how can we restructure FanForce to be relevant in this day and age?

This topic is to simply let all of you with ideas come here to post and see what we can come up with for the future FanForce.

So what should we do?

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I say regulars that frequent their local fan force promote it a lot more. Put it in their sigs, tell their friends etc. From my own observation, a lot of CR's and FF regulars keep themselves to only FF. For the longest time, I myself saw FF as a separate thing from the boards, or a clique thing. I never really understood why the JC and FF were considered to be separate. Especially the communication side of things.

Reading past threads in this very forum, some past JC mods got heavily annoyed that RSA's could vote and have access to things that are JC related, I never understood that either.

Take FF:UK as my fan force, I think people see the lack of activity there and don't think of making the effort of making a post or thread.

In short, I think the JC and FF should come together a lot more than it has been, especially in recent years.

Skiara likes this.
  3. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Calgary Fan Force is still active. Not so much on the boards here but we have a monthly meeting and a pub night every month. I've also been working the past few years to get our sister Fan Force 300km north of Calgary back on track. I've got a good group up there now who are having regular get togethers. We are actually doing a combined Table at FanExpo this weekend in Edmonton to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. So the fan force in Alberta Canada is still alive.

We regularly have new people join us as they love the IRL social aspect of the group.

Dandelo and Skiara like this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's great to hear from you that are still active. We want this to be a very open discussion on how we can get a working FF again. We are not promising to make a lot of changes right now, but we really want to keep FF alive, and then we all need to see what will be the best way of doing that.

Bringing FF/JC closer together would definitely be a good thing. I have never seen any problems in jumping around both parts, but I know that's not the case for everyone. So how could we do that?

Dandelo likes this.
  5. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    A suggestion could be a pinned thread in WNU, Explaining to new and old users alike, exactly what fan force is, I think could generate a bit more interest.

Also, I will elaborate on what I meant earlier: when I say CR's keep themselves mostly in FF, I meant you don't usually see a lot of people with blue usernames posting on the JC side of things, you see a lot of VIP's with red or full colours, but hardly any chapter reps. I think encouraging CR's to post more in, say, social threads could also stir interest.

Just a thought to consider :)

6. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    The biggest difference we find with when getting the word about the Fan Forces out there is we push that its a social group. Its a way for people who like to talk and chat Star Wars and get together with like minded people. Sure people can post on social media but you never really get to know the group. Having a meeting IRL or there social events is what we find brings people out. Also since the only requirements are a love of Star Wars and be of legal age this opens the group up to more people. Sure there are the cosplay groups out there, but its always about costumes. And not everybody wants to costume or be associated with those groups. I've never heard of any of those groups just hanging out doings something other than making costumes. There seems to be always a project. Where the fan force more of a social club to meet new people who just have the a love of something you like as well.
    We have been using the social aspect of the groups for ever and we are still gaining members.
    One of the biggest challenges is social media. People like to use what is easiest and to sign up on a forum is super old school and most people will never find there way here.

Skiara and Dandelo like this.
  7. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    What is FanForce exactly?

Dandelo likes this.
  8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    ^this^ right here is what I mean, many new users don't know what it even is, and it took me a few years to figure it out:

the fan force rules are laid out as if users are already supposed to know what it is:
    Simply put:
    there is one line that semi-explains it:

Bold right there is mine. And this is the third rule.
    The other rules explain what Chapters can and can't do, and mention RSA's and GSA's but doesn't elaborate on who they are or what they do, and the differences between them.
    I would be interested to know if the average regular JCer knew what an RSA, GSA and CR stood for, and the differences between what they do. The FF rules do not make that clear.

@Jedi Bluth, Hello and welcome to the discussion: Fan Force is simply for fans of a certain region to get to know each other and have meet-ups,
    including things like Star Wars: Celebration events.

Skiara likes this.
  9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    @Dandelo, it's a good question why there's the JCside and FFside. For me, I always had the feeling that the JCer prefer mainly to stay online and a bit more anonym (or maybe consider offline-stuff too time-consuming?) and the FFer prefered a more personal contact, less anonym, offline events. Of course, this is just my feeling and it doesn't count for all JCer/FFer.

@PreludeRM , it's pretty cool to hear that your FF is still very active and that you even helped another FF to rise! Well done! :D

@Dandelo, about "WNU thread" - it might be an idea (needs to be re-thought and re-discussed with the WNU-mods, of course)
    @Obi Anne, shall we do a list of ideas that might be discussed later on? If you don't mind, I will put a list in the end of each of my posts, so we can keep it clear, ok?

@Jedi Bluth, thanks for posting here. You see, even a question like yours can help us!

Ideas/Brain Storming ideas:
    - bringing JC/FF closer together
    - WNU-info-thread about FF
    - motivating CR's to post more at JC
    -

Dandelo likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    ok this does make sense. Especially since Fan Force was created before social media was a thing/really took off, [face_thinking]

in the year 2022 I don't think many will log on to a SW forum to arrange events when they could probably post on Facebook or send DM's on Instagram.

aside from:

I think promoting it in WNU would be the next best thing, all in my humble opinion of course :)

I could even possibly add it to my signature or status. "Support your local Fan Force" or something.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    An edit for above before I forget it again:
    It seems that the way of communication has changed as well. We old people enjoy reading longer texts and so a forum works well, but younger people prefer a short way of communicating. So we might need to make this forum more attractive to those who enjoy very short texts - if that is ever possible (maybe "mover over to FB/insta/whatever" makes more sense, not sure). Just my two cents of brain storming.

12. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Also, would like to add the rules of Fan Force are truncated,

not suggesting that this is a reason for little activity, but might be something that is easily fixed.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly fanforce hasn’t even been a big thing since I got here in 2014. Me and @Dandelo were actually just talking about this recently as well. I definitely second the idea of a pinned thread in WNU explaining fanforce.

14. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Years ago I reached out to the person in charge of my area and didn’t get any response. I’ve watched through the years and it seems the area I’m in was pretty dead.

I agree that if FF was more visible it could help. You almost never seen the “blue name” users posting anywhere else, it’s rare.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah this I can agree with. I do think seeing people with "host of (insert game here) is helpful in promoting said games. I think if I only basically did the interview threads and the mole they would have a lot less players. So finding people from those areas who are at least active would be good.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I can only really speak for my perspective of the UK FF but we were a mix of ages/maturities and a large portion moved off to University and new interests and others had families and ran out of available time.

The remaining regular ex posters are on the JCC in the main. Thats where the discussions are. We're not going to talk about the Queens funeral on here in a UK bubble, we'll talk about it with a global audience and hear a swathe of ideas and opinions.

I've limited interest in "Meet ups" as such. If someone was coming to Manchester and a few posters decided to go for a pint with them then I'd be up for it but I'm not going to go out of my way to schlep across the country anymore unless there was a good reason to do so that sat on top of the meet up.

Personally, I would say that FF needs to be more condensed and its positioning in the boards revisited.
    Should FF community actually be associated with the JCC so that the community side of FF is more noticeable?
    Shoud there be an FF presence in the WNU section?

It feels like FF spreads the discussions far too thinly. Should it be condensed into 1 Subforum with a version of community giving an FF:JCC (which in many respects should be redundant due to the JCC but knowing the JCC's reputation could actually be a sensible idea) then further to country/region as appropriate. e.g. Europe as a subforum and in there could be a thread called UK, Germany, France etc... where there is group wide local discussion and then if someone wants to arrange a European meet they could create a new thread for "Lille Feb '23" but as it's in European forum its then open for everyone to see and Belgians living near Lille may then want to join the discussion and attend. It could broaden the scope and bring the membership closer together.

Basically, if you want FF to thrive, you need to make it really easy for people to make potential meets really obvious and be open to cross boarder visitors. You also need to make it so that discussions aren't diluted across multiple countries/forums.

Skiara likes this.
  17. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    How do we know who's in charge of our "areas" and if it is still active.

18. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Unfortunately my local FF completely imploded years ago due to infighting. By the time I was "elected"(the only one willing to take on the job) as FF President or whatever it was called, it was basically already dead. Also several members moved away so the St. Louis FF chapter is non-existent which is sad because I met some great people. Heck we even got to work one of Aaron Allston's book signings when Betrayal came out.

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    @Lady_Belligerent, I'm sorry to hear that you never got a response. That's something that shouldn't happen! That's why there's a chapter representative (CR) or RSAs or GSAs who shall be active enough to answer at least.

@FatBurt, I think I know what you mean. I would prefer a meeting close by and/or unregular/"sponatneous" one as well.
    Adding FF/FFC to JCC wouldn't get my vote. In my view, it's too different. But maybe putting it into the same section, right below JCC it might make sense.
    I understand your suggestion about "representative of FF in WNU" as "lead newbies to FF more often", is that right?

@Jedi Bluth, you need to go to the main site, go to your main area where you live, search for the closest FF nearby and post there - either you get a reply soon or not. :oops:Not the cleverest way to go... So, you are right, we need to find a better way! Very important!

@Darth Gangrenous, I'm sorry to hear... whenever people come together, it can happen that there are infightings. This shouldn't be, but it happens all the time. So, maybe your FF should be revived by new people. New people, new chances. :)

- FF rules are truncated
    - making sure that new people get a reply when asking for joining
    - make joining a FF meeting far more easier
    - adding FF/FFC to JCC
    - or adding FFC/FF to the same section as JCC
    - moving all FF chapters to FFC (each chapter has one thread in FFC)
    - leading newbies in WNU to their FF more often
    - finding a good way to help potential new members to find their local FF and finding out if it's still active
    -

20. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    There is a thread https://boards.theforce.net/threads/where-is-the-fanforce-leadership.50011668/
    It points out all the broken links and truncated rules, it also mentions how leadership basically abandoned things. That alone would make it hard to get any new membership with that being one of the first things a new person sees. People won’t join a sinking ship, it reflects poorly on the group.

So, someone pointed out problems years ago, did anyone try and fix things then? It really doesn’t appear anyone followed through.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  21. CalaelAzasar

CalaelAzasar Host of Quick-Games star 5 VIP - Game Host

Mar 11, 2003
    As far as I know, my regional FF is inactive on the boards. I know I posted in their main thread years ago with no response. At that time, they did an online in a Facebook group, but I strongly dislike having to do things on Facebook, especially groups. I haven't looked in years to see if they're still active or not. A regional FF wasn't the reason I got on the JC boards in general.

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    @Skiara Yeah, I'm not on about adding JCC and FFC together, that would be lunacy but a closer association could be an idea. The "toxicity" of the JCC may be enough to avoid this idea altogether though :p
    You definitely need a presence in WNU though. FF may feel like a closed book to some on first viewing but the biggest killer is that they're dead mainly because the content that is discussed is often picked up elsewhere on the boards. Need to identify a why to stimulate activity in the FF forums and again that leads me to broadening the range of potential contributors

Dandelo likes this.
  23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    @Lady_Belligerent, I'm not sure. Sorry.

@CalaelAzasar, I totally understand your dislike of FB.

@FatBurt, thanks for clearifying. Then we are on the same line. :) Did I sum up it right by "adding FFC/FF to the same section as JCC"?
    In my view, being a "closed group" is the pro and con of FF at the same time. At this point of time, it's more a con than a pro... maybe... But the activity is the main problem. But then...

If I get you all right, you still want to re-vive FF. That's cool! But it's also possible to give FF a new direction (whatever it means or will be).

- FF rules are truncated
    - making sure that new people get a reply when asking for joining
    - make joining a FF meeting far more easier
    - adding FFC/FF to the same section as JCC
    - moving all FF chapters to FFC (each chapter has one thread in FFC)
    - leading newbies in WNU to their FF more often
    - finding a good way to help potential new members to find their local FF and finding out if it's still active
    -

Darth Gangrenous and Dandelo like this.
  24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Aside from a counting thread and a new movies thread, Oceania is dead. :( Many I know and they have moved to other media to communicate. They used FB and the 501st have their own board somewhere (used to know) as does the RL. Sadly they have managed to 'push' out others who either want to costume or be involved due to the very high standards held for costume and nothing much else. The social aspect seems to have faded out sadly. I suspect few would even miss the entire section disappearing. Nothing posted there since the thread to discuss was put up other than me..........

Dandelo and CalaelAzasar like this.
  25. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    that doesn't seem very, nice at all. Sorry that has happened.

maybe this could be something @Skiara could put on the list? greater emphasis on socialization

Skiara and Adalia-Durron like this.