main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Skills challenge math explanation where I inevitably got something wrong as an English major. [face_laugh] This one was tough to figure out a system for! All events have a top score of 10.
    • Agility: randomly-generated number (RNG) of 200-400 for the time (divided by 10 to give the time in seconds) with an RNG of 0-1 to determine if they miss the pass for a 5 second penalty. With a possible range of 200-450, points are deducted on a scale of 25:1 to get the score.
    • Shooting: RNG of 200-400 for the time, RNG of 0-8 for the number of shots in the back of the goal. Any missed shots are RNGed for number of shots to hit the goalkeeper. 5 second penalty per shot for hitting the goalkeeper and 10 second penalty for missing the net or hitting a defender. With a possible range of 200-1200, points are deducted on a scale of 100:1 to get the score.
    • Penalty shots: RNG of 0-5 for number of shots made. Each shot made gives 2 points. (I know I got this one right. :D)
    • Defense: RNG of 0-20 for defenders stopped. Each defender stopped gives .5 points.
    • Passing: RNG of 200-400 for the time. RNG of 0-10 for passes caught (5 second penalty for each pass not caught). RNG of 0-[passes caught] for each pass made (5 second penalty for each pass not made, including any passes not caught). With a possible range of 200-900, points are deducted on a scale of 70:1 to get the score.
    • Goalkeeping: RNG of 0-1. If 1, full credit. If 0, no credit.

Tay Neir likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've privately mentioned it to a couple of people, but for the record, I'm about to go to bed, and when I get up, I will be driving four hours to West Virginia and camping for seven nights. Internet access is questionable and so I may not be able to respond to tags until Sunday 8/14. If I'm able to get online from the campground, I'll check in occasionally, but I might not be able to get online at all.

Trieste and Tay Neir like this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Have fun! We'll be here when you get back. ;)

jcgoble3 and Tay Neir like this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    How much longer would people like LimmieCon to go? I'm working on the commissioner's post now as well as my remaining business with Aisa before the start of the season. I'm starting to get that itch that tells me it's time to get a season going. :D

Tay Neir likes this.
  5. Taylor Neir

Taylor Neir Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2022
    I would like to take part of the season personally, I can't think of much else for Tay to do

6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't mind putting Tendra through the skills challenges again, but as I still have limited internet access for the rest of the week, don't hold things up on my accord. I can always do that at next year's LimmieCon instead.

Tay Neir and Trieste like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Since I don't even have a schedule together yet, we'll start the next season on August 21. I'll release the schedule when it's ready as part of LimmieCon. That'll give everyone the next week to close out their LimmieCon agendas and do any posts in advance of their team's first games of the season. :)

Tay Neir and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Or cause as much chaos as I can in the next few days [face_devil]

:p

Trieste, Tay Neir and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Apologies for the score delay! I got caught up in a few things and just wasn't at a computer. However, it was a pleasant surprise to see some awesome posts in the thread this week!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Stats and standings are updated and with two weeks out things look quite interesting!

So as not to spring this on the group, I've been thinking about whether to run the game for another season. Participation has been low the last two seasons. This isn't a criticism of any of you, just an observation. While doing the GM work, I enjoy it because of enabling people to have fun and tell stories. I can write about the Miners solo through my fanfic. I haven't made a final decision, but if participation remains the way it is, I will probably close the game after this season.

And that's OK. We've been around for a long time and told great stories. I'm happy with that no matter how much longer we do this. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm still interested, but I've been busy for a few weeks. I should be able to get back into it this week now that things are calmed down.

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @jcgoble3 What has Tendra done to that defense? For those not tracking, the last four games for the Officers they've given up 1, 7, 6, and 5 points. [face_hypnotized]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Wow, I didn't even realize that. I'll have to figure out how to work that into a post... ;)

Trieste likes this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Since @jcgoble3 moved up one of his plots based on a post I made here, I'm going to address the future of the game publicly.

ELL will continue into 306. That post generated some outreach and offers of help. The discussion that resulted in a couple of action items

One of the suggestions was a strong encouragement that each ELL season moving forward take place in a separate thread. While I know some people who've been in the game a while don't want to abandon our giant thread, I heard that it's an active barrier to getting more players in. That's a bigger priority to me than keeping our thread going. OOB and the library thread will continue in the same threads.

The alternative is to end the game entirely. I'd rather try a new game thread and see if it makes a difference. One benefit of this game is that there's a clearly defined period of time each season runs. Some people may like that they can sign up for one season and leave after that if they want.

There will be an express sign up process for everyone currently in the game, but I will cull any team that's misses the due date to get team sheets in.

I am also leaning against doing LimmieCon next season. It hasn't generated the engagement I'd like and it's a lot of work for me to do that. There will still be an opening GM prompt to help people ease into the new season.

More to come later!

(And also, apologies jc for you jumping your storytelling only to find out there will be another season. :oops:)

jcgoble3 and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Not a problem. I was prepared for the possibility that we may continue. If nothing else, it lets me explore Tendra's life without either parent, or experiment with some other stuff.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Trieste and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I absolutely adore how the Storm have planned their offense for this week. :D (<-- Actual picture of me writing this post. [face_laugh])

jcgoble3 and Tay Neir like this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Old habits die hard, yes? :p

Trieste likes this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    In re-reading my post, I forgot to throw one thing in there (although one could deduce it from the scenarios): we have a 50% chance (8 out of 16 possible scenarios) of a tie involving playoff spots requiring extra games to resolve.

Four of those 8 cases are if Bakura and Kothlis win (with four possibilities for the other two winners that don't matter), which gives us a three-team tie for three playoff spots, with only seeding (#2 through #4) to resolve.

The other four involve a tie for a single playoff spot (#4 seed), and arise if Euceron wins (required) and the other winners include either the pair of Geonosis/Lucicar or the pair of Nar Shaddaa/Kothlis (with the Mercs/Pirates game not changing the existence of the tie but affecting who is in the tie in the latter of those two cases). The teams involved in this tie for fourth vary by scenario with three in three cases and only two in the last case. Bakura is the only team involved in all four possible ties for fourth, and is also involved in the four scenarios that create the aforementioned tie for second, meaning that the Miners are involved in every possible extra games scenario.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  19. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    @jcgoble3 PM me if you’d like something edited in. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nah, I'm good. I don't want to change the flow of Tendra's and Rockta's conversation now. I really only included the whole playoff picture in the IC post for our (the RPG players) benefit anyway.

I have a handy-dandy spreadsheet that can rapidly calculate all the scenarios, so I'm often the person to verify the scenarios in the final week of the regular season.

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    As the only team to ever change its name, yes, they die incredibly hard. ;)
    Of course they are. [face_rofl]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Nope. The Storm and Officers are two separate, independent teams. I made it clear in the initial announcement of the Officers that they would not adopt the records and history of the Storm as their own, but start fresh. That is still true today.

Vehn likes this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    They still changed their name in my mind. ;)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Note for all: I am probably engaged all day tomorrow (and if not probably won't have the time to check all the head-to-heads), so you get extra time for your posts as it's Monday scores this week. :)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    When I read @jcgoble3 's post, I thought, "That's right, we simplified the tiebreaks." What I forgot was that there still is a head-to-head tiebreak. It's only when there are ties inside that tiebreak that extra games come into play. For example, had the records been 2-1, 2-1, 1-2, and 1-2 in the tiebreak, extra games would have come into play.

However, the tiebreak rules should be clarified. While things felt like they could be relatively neatly resolved this time, next time may not be so easy. One solution would be to eliminate all head-to-head tiebreaks. [face_devil]

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.