main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Angstmongers Anonymous | Angst Challenge & Discussion Thread | ANGSTOBER is here!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Elllllliiiiiiiiiii *covers eyes*

LOLOL

Your stuff is dark, Elli, and sometimes I skim a few lines, but I haven't seen you get gratuitous with it :*

Sometimes it's an extremely effective way of critiquing and judging those things.

Heh, I haven't watched a Wolverine fight scene yet even in the other ones, I keep looking away until it's done, so nooooo, no Logan :p

Right??? TPM isn't a SW movie I revisit often, but I watched it again a month or two back, and that was one of the details that had slipped my mind and I was horrified.

Exactly what I suspected, well-handled violence that would still have me noping out. Ah well, I'll always have Mindor :p

Yes to all of this. Why on earth didn't Padmé run far away after that? He told her straight out that he slaughtered a whole village like animals, including children, and then she goes and marries him??? And yeah, the morality reset is just a huge narrative problem, and why, why are the Tuskens portrayed like that? (I loved the line from Din in The Mandalorian about Tuskens thinking they're the locals, everyone else is trespassing.) I get the foreshadowing, but it could have been done more subtly and effectively.

Agreed. Every time they've revisited it, it's been gutting, but hasn't felt gratuitous.

YOU PROMISED ME LIGHTSABER GRILLED CHEESE :_|

(But it wasn't gratuitous, just heartbreaking)

(It's a meta post about how we handle writing issues; of course you can)

I thought of that a lot while writing Renewal, and how conflicted Mara must have felt about it. Of course if she could change it, wouldn't she have wanted to stay with her parents and have a normal, loving childhood and grow up with her family? But if that had happened, would she still be the person she is now? Some things might be better, but what valuable things would she have lost? Would she still have met Luke, or no? When that huge traumatic issue in your life has fundamentally changed so much, but you wouldn't want to give up some of those things, the conflict is a lot. Makes for a fascinating character study, though :p

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Medics and fire. They are here. I have the first chapter for the Gothic quote challenge and it is about my OC Mick Kerebuy dealing with the dreams after he had to treat a fire-fighter.
    He is what?

3. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Posted my Gothic Literature quote challenge: Broken

[face_dancing] ANGST! [face_dancing]

4. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I have been remiss in responding, but I did get both of your fics in the index as they came in! :oops: :p

5. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to remind you guys that we now have one week remaining for the Gothic Literature Quote Roulette! That's right, the goal is to have our stories finished and posted by end of day Monday, October 31st. Now, as this challenge does not involve voting of any kind, the deadline isn't a hard and fast one, and you are always welcome to submit your stories after the deadline has passed. The only thing that will be different after October 31st is that I'll be posting our next angst challenge. [face_batting] (Just in time for NaNoWriMo and the Word Race, if you're participating in either of those!)

We've already had several submissions come in; let's see how many more we can get! [face_mischief]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for this reminder, Viari! Unfortunately, RL has been rough lately and left me with extremely little writing time, and I do not think I will be able to have anything ready for this challenge, at least not by the 31st. Very sorry about that. But I am curious and eager to see what you propose next! :)

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @earlybird-obi-wan - Congrats on finishing your story! =D=

@Findswoman - No problem whatsoever! If you're inspired to write for the challenge later, you're always welcome to come back and submit it then. (And I hope RL eases up for you soon. [:D])

And hey, I finally finished my own entry for the angst challenge! I posted Break the Silence in my AU vig collection Lover, Hunter, Friend, and Enemy, in case you're looking through title bars and wondering where the heck it is. :p I stuck to my strengths and wrote some Chaos Twins angst, AU-of-AU style. [face_mischief]

edit: fixed my link, it was late and I was tired 8-}

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I finished my answer to the challenge right in the nick of time!

My Spirit Longs With Thee to Rest is indulgently angsty and gothic-y, and quite predictably uses my Phantom of the Opera novel quote to tell a Phantom of the Opera story. What can I say? I was weak, and could not resist. [face_mischief]

10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Yay, so glad you were able to sneak that one in! I've got you in the index. :D

Anyone else? [face_batting] We have today and tomorrow left before the next challenge goes up!

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    You guys, you guys, you guys! I managed something after all:

From a Flimsi Scrap Found on the Crystal Cliffs, Lira San

Content warning for suicide.

EDIT: Aaaand I just realized that the challenge required a minimum of 1000 words… and this has about 373. :oops: Apologies for totally blanking on that requirement—feel free to not officially count it in the challenge if you prefer.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Way to go! I've added it to the index. :D

No worries, it's the inaugural challenge, we're all still getting used to it. :p We can be stricter the next time around. ;) [face_mischief]

Everyone, I'm going to wait an extra day before posting the next challenge, to give our NaNoWriMo & word race participants a tiny bit of breathing room tomorrow. I will see you all back here on Wednesday for Angst Challenge #2! [face_batting]

13. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Hello, angstmongers! Are you ready for some more angst? [face_batting] We had a great turnout for our first official challenge – eight stories total [face_party] – and I’m excited to see what you guys will do with this next one…

Angst Challenge #2

Angsty First & Last Lines (Dialogue Edition)

Yes, you read that right – first and last lines! [face_mischief] I have a list of twenty lines of dialogue with definite angst potential; you will select two of those lines and write a story that begins with one line and ends with the other. But wait! Instead of choosing your lines yourself, we’ll let fate (aka the internet) decide for you! Here’s what you need to do:
    1. Go to random.org and use the True Random Number Generator to generate two numbers from 1 to 20. Alternatively, if you have a twenty-sided die, you can roll that twice to get your numbers.
    2. Once you have your two randomly selected numbers, post them here in this thread so we can all see which lines of dialogue you received. It’s that simple!
    You are free to choose which of your lines is the first line and which is the last, as long as you use both your given lines. And even though this challenge begins and ends with dialogue, this is not a dialogue-only challenge. Feel free to include as much (or as little) narrative detail as you desire. Once again, you will have eight weeks to complete and post your challenge response. Here are some additional guidelines:
    • Your fic must be at least 1,000 words
    • Bonus Challenge: If you want some more (totally optional) parameters for added spice, I challenge you to include these three words somewhere in your story: overture, onus, and obliterated
    • Don’t forget to post in this thread to tell us which numbers you got! It is possible that some people will get the same lines of dialogue, and that’s okay!
    • Since no one can actually see which numbers you “roll”, we’re all operating on the honor system here. Not that I have to tell you lovely people that. ;)
    • Entries are due Wednesday, December 28th (remember, this is a goal rather than a strict deadline, and you're always welcome to write for any challenge even if it has “officially” ended [face_peace])
    And now for our angsty lines of dialogue:

1. “Were you ever going to tell me?”
    2. “Wake up.”
    3. “We're not alone.”
    4. “This isn't what it seems.”
    5. “Why won't you talk to me?”
    6. “I have my orders.”
    7. “By then it will be too late.”
    8. “Please, don't go.”
    9. “This isn't up for debate.”
    10. “Let me see.”
    11. “You promised.”
    12. “Who did this?”
    13. “I'm asking you to choose.”
    14. “Don't move.”
    15. “I didn't know where else to go.”
    16. “You have to let go.”
    17. “Run!”
    18. “When's the last time you slept?”
    19. “That's no longer your decision to make.”
    20. “I didn't know.”

As always, the TOS apply. Happy writing, and may the angst be with you. [face_dancing]

Challenge Index:

~~

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  14. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I had two! [face_peace]

12. “Who did this?”
    19. “That's no longer your decision to make.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The Random Number Generator has bestowed upon me:

First line: "I didn't know where else to go." (aka #15.)

Last line: "This isn't up for debate." (aka #9.)

Hmm. It'll be interesting to see what angst this sparks[face_thinking]

Also, can't wait to see what everyone else gets!:D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, very neat and original idea, here! Now, once again, I make no guarantees that I'll be able to generate anything, but juuuuust in case, I "rolled" at Random.org and got the following:

10: "Let me see."
    20: "I didn't know."

Into the pocket it goes, in any case! :D Looking forward to seeing what people get! :)

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

Ooh, I like this challenge!

The random number generator of fate bestowed upon me:

6. “I have my orders.”
    15. “I didn't know where else to go.”​

[face_thinking] [face_mischief] [face_devil]

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    2. “Wake up.”
    18. “When's the last time you slept?”

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Of course you did :p

I got 7 and 19, sooooo *checks list* - “By then it will be too late.” and “That's no longer your decision to make.”

Hmmmmmm

20. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    To be fair, I have eight. :D

@ViariSkywalker want me to roll for you?

21. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    To quote Squirrel Girl, I admire the way you solve problems and strive to emulate it in my own life

22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Yes, please! :D

23. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    [​IMG]

For @ViariSkywalker :
    2. “Wake up.”
    7. “By then it will be too late.”

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You guys, look at all that angsty potential!! [face_dancing]

I love it! :D

It really is fun seeing what everyone else ends up with! [face_mischief]

Ha, thanks, I like to think I'm warming up for the next Kessel Run, looking for slightly different spins on some classic style prompts. ;) [face_whistling] Mira supplied the dialogue for these, so all credit to her for that. [face_love]

That's what I like to see. [face_mischief]

Oooh, those are excellent. [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

Nice, those complement each other perfectly. :p

[face_mischief] [face_batting]

Thanks, Elli! [:D] Hmm, and now to brainstorm all the angsty ways I can twist those lines... [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I will sign up for this in a little while. I am still deciding if I want to continue exploring the Mononoke-verse AU from the last challenge, or go back to "Ballad of the Winter Rose" and go from there.

Mira_Jade , Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.