main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Not an expert on the subject by any means, but common sense and all the Star Trek I've watched tells me that turning around to fight would be a sensible tactical move.

2. sassyhologramllama

sassyhologramllama Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2022
    I was thinking of a teleportation through space scenario. Just as Mace and the others are about to enter his office to arrest him, Palpy is instantly teleported to the ground just outside the main settlement on Tatooine. His clothes and shoes come with him. His light saber and any communication devices upon him etc. do not.

Thoughts on how things might play out?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  3. DarthKnaves1995

DarthKnaves1995 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2022
    Hello, my fellow Force-Sensitives. I am DarthKnaves1995, known as Jack_of_Knaves on Archive of Our Own, Jack of Knaves of fanfiction dot net, and JackofKnaves on Wattpad. Anyways, I am currently developing fanfiction where Female! Darth Revan (yes I know Revan is canonically male but I wanted this project to be different from most out there) gets isakaied (pretty sure I misspelled that) to the Clone Wars era, specifically between Seasons Four and Five, and becomes the target of a Jedi manhunt after causing an explosion in Palpatine's office, breaking into the Jedi Archives, and getting into a lightsaber duel with Ahsoka and Barris, as well as several crime lords and Maul's Shadow collective after she angers said crime lords and Maul, as well as the modern Lords of the Sith as a result of her legend as an ancient Sith Lord. Also, just by being there, Revan really screws up the timeline.

In any case, I was wondering how to go about setting up my project here on the Jedi Archives or if there was anything special I needed to do for it.

Thanks! May the Force be with you.

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Welcome, @DarthKnaves1995! It's always good to see a new poster in the fanfic section:)

No need to worry if your story isn't completely consistent with canon! Part of the fun of being a fanfic writer is that we have the artistic and creative license to change canon details to suit our stories whenever we want.

If you'd like, you can always include in the title thread or an author's note that you are writing an AU (short for "alternate universe") or a fic with a female Revan. But that is up to you. You could also include a note about the timeline at the start of your fic about when it is taking place during the Clone Wars.

To start your story, you can post a new thread in the Star Wars Fanfiction section of our boards. Then any future chapters can be posted in that thread as separate posts. We tend to recommend spacing out when you post new chapters by a couple of days to give people time to read and respond between updates.

Before posting your first story, I would suggest checking out the Welcome New Users thread and the Fanfic FAQ to learn the ropes and have some of the most common fanfiction related questions answered before posting a story. It will talk you through using things like prefixes and tags for your story that is super useful.

The Welcome New Users thread in particular has this quote you might find helpful:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    pronker, Mira_Jade , Kahara and 3 others like this.
  6. DarthKnaves1995

Oct 12, 2022
    So... I need ideas. I need to come up with something for my Revan fanfic that could be considered "the greatest secret of the Rakatan," something greater and more terrible than the Foundry or the Star Forge. I don't think it would be wise to involve Mortis or the World Between Worlds this early in the game (although I do have plans for Revan to go to Lothal later in my projected series, but that is to enlist the Ghost Crew to her cause, and persuade Ezra Bridger and Sabine Wren, who thanks to the timeline disruptions Revan caused, is now Force Sensitive, to join the Gray Jedi Order she is building)

One idea that was suggested was the Dark Reaper, but I want to hear some other possibile ideas. So, what are your thoughts? What could this superweapon of the Rak be?

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The greatest secret of Rakuten is that there are multiple alternative "get cash back for shopping" apps that don't make you wait 3 months to receive your money.

8. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I see what you did there :p

@DarthKnaves1995
    Without knowing more about your overall story, it's hard to say what you should include; but my advice is to start small and dig into the inner conflicts of your characters, and let that drive the plot of the story. You may find you don't even need a super special weapon to end all weapons, or you may find that an existing weapon/technology can work just as well. If you're doing time travel, focus on what that means personally for Revan, to be ripped from her time and dropped right into the middle of Sidious's carefully constructed Jedi trap. How does that impact Anakin and his destiny? How does it affect the other characters you're interested in exploring? What are Revan's limitations in this situation? How is this journey going to change her? (You don't have to have all the answers to this right away, these are just the types of questions I would ask myself in your position. ;))

And welcome to our little fanfic corner of the boards! :)

9. DarthKnaves1995

Oct 12, 2022
    Sounds good to me. As for my plans, well, one thing I have figured out is that Revan ultimately conquers Mandalore without firing a shot using Death Watch and the Helm of Mandalore, not only joins the war as a third party, being the "neutral" side, something that Revan knows will provoke the CIS at least, and potentially draw out the Sith, and as such uses the Foundry as a base and builds an droid army and fleet, and ends up creating something that amounts to a Gray Jedi Order after she pretty much roasts the Jedi during Ahsoka's trial, during which she acts as Ahsoka and Barriss Offee's arbiter/lawyer (because of the timeline alterations caused by Revan showing up, Barriss has nothing to do with the Jedi Temple Bombing and was framed for it alongside Ahsoka) which causes history to repeat itself and causes a ton of Jedi around Revan, Ahsoka, and Barriss' ages to leave the Order and join Revan, along with Ahsoka and Barriss becoming her apprentices (Ahsoka become Revan's apprentice is something that kinda happens over time, mainly thanks to her and Revan having a Force Bond, mostly likely somehow caused by the Force going nuts because of Revan showing up. I guess you could say that Revan kind of corrupts Ahsoka to an extent) unwittingly saving their lives from Order 66, which sadly still happens along with Vader.

Speaking of Vader, I would say that because of Revan showing up, there are now two Chosen Ones. Anakin/Vader is the one who destroys the Sith, but through her teachings and the Order she builds to take the Jedi's place as the guardians of the galaxy (pun intended) it will be Revan who brings and maintains balance in the Force. Does that make sense?

10. DarthKnaves1995

Oct 12, 2022
    Another concept that I have in mind for my projective Revan series is that Sabine Wren is Force-Sensitive and becomes a member of Revan's Espada Order/Gray Jedi Order, with Revan's forces (as well as the Duchess which goes to Revan instead of the Empire) helping to fend off the Empire, which in itself has its own problems.

Thoughts?

11. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Sabine does get trained by Kanan Jarrus with the Darksaber. It would be nice to have another Force Sensitive Mando.

DarthKnaves1995 likes this.
  12. DarthKnaves1995

Oct 12, 2022
    Yeah, this is pretty much how the Mandolarian purge is gonna go in my Espadaverse:

Random Imperial Commander: *as Star Destroyers exit Hyperspace* All right, let's go kick some Mandolorian-

Revan/Mandolorian Fleet: *points every single auto-targeting turbolaser cannon on their cruisers, destroyers, dreadnaughts, and other Foundry-made ship at the oncoming Imperials*

Random Imperial Commander: 0_0 ... put 'er in reverse.

Random Star Destroyer Crew Member: But, sir, Star Destroyers don't HAVE a reverse function, and our orders were-

Random Imperial Commander: PUT 'ER IN REVERSE! GET US OUTTA HERE!!!!

13. DarthKnaves1995

Oct 12, 2022
    So... Devil Edit: Please familiarize yourself with our fanfic promotion policy, my plan is have Revan disguise herself as in a Jedi Robe and mask her presence in the Force just enough to make her seem like a bog standard Jedi in order to sneak into the Jedi Archives and try to find some answers on her situation, and even tears through Jocasta Nu's mental defenses in order to obtain data on wha happun the last 3,532 years and discover the fate that befell her organic companions, including her husband Carth Onasi and stepson Dustil. Unfortunately, because of the Force going bananas, Ahsoka is able to detect Revan through their inexplicably formed Force Bond, deduces that Revan isn't a Jedi (though Revan says it depends who you ask, which is kinda true), and fights her alongside Barriss Offee. Barriss is quickly sent to dreamland and it becomes a one-on-one "duel" between Ahsoka and Revan, during which Revan's presence in the Force is exposed, causing Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and a number of other Jedi to come running, only to show up too late, as Ahsoka is asleep, and Revan is gone with the data she was downloading, and is currently looking for a ship to get outta dodge.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
  14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Hi, @DarthKnaves1995!

On this site, we do ask that people avoid double posting in discussion threads like this when possible.

One of the cool things about fanfic is you always have an open window to add to your previous posts by hitting the edit button:)

Kato Sai and Findswoman like this.
  15. JohnLydiaParker

JohnLydiaParker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2019
    Need some writing help with star wars swearing. Normally my policy is "nothing that doesn't exist in SW" and "it's not really important what it means, actually." Except this time for my next story I'm writing (not the one I'm posting that's basically what Rouge Squadron was up to during The Last Command), it's an insult, and a character is referring to somebody she met it the past (I won't spoil who) as a "spoiled, stuck-up rich ***** [female dog]," except, of course, the term “*****" doesn't exist in SW. I'm kind of in need of a drop-in replacement that is SW and that readers will understand what it means. My first attempt failed the trial audience, so I'm in need of another idea.

Finds Edit: I’ve moved this post from Scribble Pad to Writer’s Desk, because Writer’s Desk is the more appropriate place for questions about specific stories. Also, please familiarize yourself with our disallowed words list and policies on profanity; any word you use from there needs to be starred out completely. Thanks.

Re: Finds: Oops. Should have read that a little closer.[face_blush]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  16. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I don't think you need that word? Cut the character off before they complete the dialogue, or drop in a word from your character's homeworld language. Or use something like priss or diva or even a phrase like pain in my arse if you want just that bit of profanity in your story.

What exactly are you trying to convey? That particular word seems (without knowing what you're trying to accomplish or the character who's going to say it) unnecessarily gendered and, simply, mean.

17. JohnLydiaParker

JohnLydiaParker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2019
    The speaker is referring to a certain rich somebody who (a few years before their Legends appearance) in her late teens decided she knew more about something than the character (who does it for a living, same age), got proved wrong, and so for no reason other than being petty brought the Empire down on the character, her friends arrested and she barely escaped, and that's why the character joined the Rebellion.

Your right though, it's looking like I don't need it, and the word doesn't seem to exactly apply anyway. Probably would be best just to go with "brat," I suppose, since that nearly made the list of insults in that line anyway and probably applies better.

Also, more thinking leads me to the conclusion that in in SW there isn't a equivalent insult, so applying the first rule of mine it gets the axe.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    vader_incarnate likes this.
  18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    @JohnLydiaParker One SW insult I've seen used as sort of an equivalent is "schutta", which is a Twi'lek insult. It's a small, weasel-like creature, so not implicitly gendered, if you want to avoid that issue.

19. BobaFettHunter39

BobaFettHunter39 Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2022
    I need advice.
    What trilogy is best to write about, who in that trilogy, and where?

20. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    What is the ideal thing in star wars to write about?

21. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    I plan to post the prolouge of my first book in the trilogy very soon.

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Hi, @BobaFettHunter39! Welcome to the boards and to the fanfiction section in particular!

We would ask that you please refrain from double posting on discussion threads like this and instead use the "edit" feature to add onto your comments. One of the wonderful things about the fanfiction section is that you always have an open window to go back and edit your previous posts to help avoid double posting in threads like this!

As to what trilogy is best to write about, any trilogy that you feel inspired to write about at any given time is the best one for you to write about! Any character you feel inspired to write about is the best for you to write about, and any planet or other setting you feel drawn to is best for you to write about!

The ideal thing to write about in Star Wars is anything that interests you. I notice you have Boba Fett as your username and avatar so maybe you want to write about him.

Vialco, Gamiel, Mira_Jade and 3 others like this.
  23. BobaFettHunter39

Sep 8, 2022
    THX

devilinthedetails likes this.
  24. sassyhologramllama

sassyhologramllama Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2022
    As Luke is preparing to light Darth Vader's pyre, the Forest Moon of Endor is sent hurtling through the time winds to 32 BBY and the closing moments of TPM as Palpatine is telling Anakin he will watching the young boy's career with great interest.

How might things play out from there?

Vialco likes this.
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It really depends on how much Luke knows about history. But, if I had to suggest a direction, I’d settle for Luke publicly accusing Palpatine of being a Sith Lord in front of the entire Jedi Council.

I don’t think Palpatine could provide a plausible denial, particularly if he was forced to reveal himself if Luke attacked him. At that point, Palpatine is unmasked and surrounded by the entire Jedi Council.

I doubt even Darth Sidious could get out of that situation alive. Then again, it is Palpatine, so you never know. It could go either way, really.

If this was an actual fanfiction, I’d suggest deciding which way you’d want it to end before starting the writing process. I’d be inclined towards a more lengthy drama where Palpatine doesn’t die immediately and instead the Jedi are placed under extreme suspicion.

Perhaps the Trade Federation armies are nationalized by the Republic and the Temple is placed under lockdown. I’ve seen too many authors underestimate Palpatine and write him poorly. Darth Sidious was a political and strategic mastermind. A proper Star Wars fanfic should treat the Emperor as the implacable foe he is.

Findswoman likes this.