main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Animated Shorts Official *Tales of the Jedi* Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Personally I'd legit love to see them make a full length animated movie that centres on a QuiGon and Dooku adventuren, set 10 years or so before Phantom Menace. Perhaps the story could have a loose connection to what ultimately happens in the main Star Wars saga.
    Oh but being straight on topic, it's good to finally see some proper Dooku and QuiGon action.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Easy, he's a fictional character.
    Characters aren't my friends; just because I -- as at least a semi-decent person -- enjoy a character doesn't mean I want to hang out with them, or vote them into political office.
    I love the character of Palpatine, and his over the top evil schemes is the main reason for it. He's fun to watch, just like other popular villains.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see him being funny in the way that the Joker is: making you laugh when you hate yourself for it.

4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m increasingly impressed with LFL’s animation, I’m not a big animation watcher to begin with, but from what I’ve seen tuning into the stuff my nephew watches, the quality is on par if not surpassing the stuff on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. I agree with Matty, we’re at the point where could LFL could do a feature length animated movie and it would be quite successful. Whether that’s PT era, High Republic or something else, I’m ready, make it happen Kathy! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I've always been in favor of more animation. The first thing I expected Disney to do after acquisition would have been to make a TCW-style animated series set in between ANH and ESB, focusing on Luke/Leia/Han/Vader etc., and I've been really surprised that has't happened yet. (This actually seems so obvious that I wonder whether there was a specific reason why the opted against that. I wonder what that reason would be?) Now Kennedy wants to "move away from the legacy characters," and I get that, but I would love to see their adventures in animated form.
    Or maybe after ROTJ? Perhaps some aspects o the ST can be, um, "salvaged" if they filled in the narrative gaps with animation. I'd love to see an animated film featuring Luke Skywalker searing for the Jedi temple on Achoo, or whatever that planet was called.

But if they want to stay in the PT era, I'm not gonna say no to that either. Yes please :D I'd also love episodes featuring pre-TPM Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, or pre-AOTC Obi-Wan and Anakin.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The pre-TPM/pre-AOTC period is the most interesting to me from the overall Skywalker era. The time before the great wars. There are so many stories that could be told and we've still only seen glimpses of that era of slow decline.
    I'd like to follow all the Jedi that we know of on their adventures in those prewar years! Especially the Council members.

7. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Would love to see a Ventress "shorts series"

8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yoda as a Padawan during a time when the fall of the Sith and the formation of the modern Republic are still remembered by the elders! Then, Yoda as a Knight/Master, not yet a Council member, who travels the galaxy to help people and learn as much as he can.
    Perhaps he stops some dark side cult from rising to fill the void left by the Sith? And maybe his great talent, power and wisdom lead some to believe that he just might be the Chosen One?

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Book end that season with Grogu. EP 1: Young Grogu on the night of Order 66, getting taken away, surviving. Then EP2, flashback to Young Yoda getting trained, while the Sith War is starting, maybe he's spirited away and survives his own assassination attempt. We see the Jedi v Sith war. The Sith start the rule of 2, go into hiding. Etc etc. End season with Grogu and Mando.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I admit to being slightly surprised we didn't see Baby Grogu. Once the news that Yaddle was going to be featured in these shorts, I figured we'd see Grogu, and I figured that was actually what the short would be about.

SateleNovelist11 and TadoFett like this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Personally, I don't favor the EU over Disney canon, nor vice versa. My imagination takes bits and pieces of both to analyze different characters.

I do think that Lucas and the original EU could have portrayed pre-Sith Dooku better. They left him kind of vague. Disney canon has portrayed pre-Sith Dooku much better on the whole.

The notion of Qui-Gon holding Dooku back is not unprecedented in literature. And it's interesting how he starts out as a guy who's willing to do dark things in order to make the world better, but Sidious only corrupts him further. Sidious abused Maul as a baby and a child in order to get the warrior he wanted. He abused an old man to get what he wanted. Finally, he abused Anakin to get what he wanted. This is not so much to extend any sympathy to Maul, Tyranus, or Vader, given their numerous respective crimes. Rather, it shows that Sidious is worse than most people.

Dooku preferred a version of Jedi fascism, not unlike Jorus C'baoth. He just started off as a more likable and less arrogant person than C'baoth. I'm sure he was prolly nicer like the real life Christopher Lee, a talented singer and actor. But gradually, his insecurities corrupted him, and he turned into the guy who in the EU would call a woman "stupid" and in Disney canon would tell a female Jedi that he had something to show her prior to impaling her. Sorry for how dark this got, but people often expound upon the aspects of Maul, Sidious, and Vader, but they overlook Tyranus. He was a talented Force-wielder and duelist as both a Jedi and a Sith. As Darth Plagueis recognized, he would have made a better partner than Sidious ever would have, and evidently, Plagueis put his trust in the wrong person.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  12. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I always enjoy Allan's videos, seems to really know his stuff and regularly puts in a random joke / play on words.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, he's cool. I don't always agree with him, but he has good analyses. I agree more with Star Wars Reading Club, Geetlys, Data Pad, and Eckhardsletter. Sorry if I'm not spelling those names correctly. I'm tired and my gf and I are at the mini-grocery store now getting some milk and orange juice.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  14. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Green milk and meiluron juice surely.

15. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Kiner’s score (inarguably his best), and some glorious animation and direction, make the series work, even if the writing is quite pedestrian and disappointingly thin.

17. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Was she referring to all SW media tho, or just future films? I have a feeling the moving away from legacy characters quote might just be referring to films. Just my interpretation really, but some weak evidence: Anakin appeared in this Tales of the Jedi show which of course was aired after KK said they'd be moving away from legacy characters. James Earl Jones signed off on the rights for his voice and I'm sure he didn't do it for free; Disney probably cut him a nice little check for his signature and I don't think they'd pay for something they have no plans on using in the future. I also have a feeling we haven't seen the last of deepfake Luke in the Mandoverse either. So I think we will be getting more legacy characters in animation and even live-action, just probably not in films.

P.S. I'd also love an animated series set between ANH and ESB too :)

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Some nice stuff in there, those lighting guides in particular are gorgeous.

I'm sad though that the model sheets seem to be scrubbed of identifying information, you know, model titles, dates, production codes. Juicy little bits of info that give minor insight into the making of the show. The other animated shows included those details, and provided a lot of information in small ways (particularly regarding the unfinished TCW arcs or establishing the timelines of overlap between the different projects). Plus we don't even get to know what the show's internal codeword was :p

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    With cgi and doubles they can def make a movie with Qui-Gon Jin and Count Dooku, have Neeson do the voice and they can cgi him and hed look young and also find someone with he same height and voice as Christopher Lee and use some footage and voice that Lee did in Aotc etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  20. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Awesome. Take the hint D+. More animation!

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m glad this show finally confirmed that Yoda was just a weirdo who spoke backwards for no reason at all. It somehow makes him even more endearing. :p

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yoda speaks weird because his own Mentor speaks weird. It's canon. :yoda:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Lulu Mars and Kato Sai like this.
  24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Yoda is Sheldon Cooper of the Jedi. :p

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I had to look that up and found the Filoni quote: "Frank Oz told me once that Yoda speaks that way specifically in honor of his own master. That was what he had thought about it."

I like that!