main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Interview with Filoni/Favreau - good insight on how they view Star Wars and what's to come.

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I’m not one of those weird “Kathleen Kennedy ruined my childhood” people, but considering we have like 12 cancelled movies and nobody really seems to know what’s going on with the brand, I really hope Lucasfilm follows DC’s path with James Gunn and appoints Filoni to head of Lucasfilm.

He’s become the stand in for George Lucas and it would be the closest thing we can get to him being back.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    12 cancelled movies? I believe you may be exaggerating just a tad. TRoS ended its theatrical run just as COVID hit; which decimated the entire movie industry.
    Then streaming went nuclear because people could just watch in the luxury of their homes. Disney decided to focus on streaming and we've been getting a ridiculous metric ton of content ever since.

4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He is not exaggerating that much though. Only a tad as you said.

• A trilogy of Kenobi movies that as we recently found out, turned into a TV show after all
    • Benioff's and Weiss' Star Wars trilogy
    • Rian Johnson's trilogy (yes, I know it has not been officially cancelled, but what is the realistic chance of this happening at this point?)
    • The Patty Jenkins movie is on the shelf
    • Who knows if the Taika Waititi movie is ever going to actually happen
    • A sequel to SOLO had never officially been announced, but the ending of the movie made it clear that this was also going for a trilogy probably
    So yeah, I know there is a level of stretching it there, but even if's not a dozen movies, it's still a lot.

5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m not always a fan of Filoni’s decisions, in fact I still haven’t fully gotten over his choice to use TCW to completely rework Mandalorians as a concept compared to their status in KOTOR and older EU (a decision which is still creating lingering problems for the franchise imo, but that’s another discussion). However, he has consistently created and expanded the saga in amazing ways, what’s most impressive is how he can take the PT/OT movies, and turn little details into engrossing, emotional stories. TOTJ is just the latest example of how good he can be at this.

I can’t think of a better person to be president of LFL right now, he has the best combination of credentials and genuine passion for the franchise imo.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Wasn't it George Lucas himself who wanted to completely change mandalorians by using TCW? I wouldn't blame Filoni, Lucas was his boss after all. Mandalorians have mostly returned to their previous status now, with new mandalorians added as faction that tried to change their ways and ultimately failed in that quest. Only homeplanet Mandalore has now been changed quite a bit.

Lucas himself made the most controversial decisions in TCW, introduced padawan to Anakin, changed Mandalore, introduced neutrality of separatist supporters, revived Maul, introduced Mortis-gods, changed Korriban to Moraband.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    @Swashbucklingjedi tbf to Dave, idk how much the Mandalorian's rework was his idea or George’s, but either way I’m still not a fan of it. As you say, they’re now having to basically revert to the old model.

But the other big developments in TCW mostly work well imo, especially the choice give Anakin an apprentice. I think we’d have needed a true Lucas ST to see the full potential of the new concepts though, particularly the Mortiss arc.

What I would be most excited for from Dave taking over is how he could develop an entirely new setting, separated from the Lucas saga, but still embodying it’s spirit.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Alot of Dave projects feel like a spin off from Clone Wars. Expanding on his own success.

Which makes sense. Dave is proud of the success of Clone Wars and Rebels.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it was all George, but Filoni wanted EU-past to be kept canon so they added reference to fights against the jedi and such. I don't think new mandalorians were ever supposed to win however so I see no issue with mandalorians except they added new faction of them that wanted to change the entire culture. Planet being destroyed in a war is interesting addition. Too bad we didn't get to see the war in Tales of the jedi. Dooku was in EU the one who destroyed mandalorian supercommandos. I like the mandos more now than I did before. Planet of Boba Fetts was not that interesting. Now there is more nuances to mandos.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Simple reason why he wont be President is because he dosent want it. Creative Director is good enough for him.

11. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    I’m of the belief that Star Wars has been pretty much at its peak post 2019, but let’s not pretend that KK is conducive to Star Wars being a viable theatrical franchise or is easy to work with as talent. I’m pretty much not exaggerating how many movies were cancelled under her, plus Rangers of the New Republic.

12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Yeah, I’ve always been under the impression that pacifist Mandos were a George thing.

13. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    George Lucas was always known for barging into story meetings back in the day and just throwing giant confusing curveballs. Dave Filoni expertly took George’s whacked out suggestions and made them work, while people like the team working on the cancelled Darth Maul game (where George essentially barged into the office and had action figures of Darth Maul and Darth Talon and made them kiss and told the team to work it into the story) couldn’t handle it.

George: “Resurrect Maul!”

Filoni: “Maybe we should just make an original character based on Maul instead?”

George: “sure that works”

*three episode savage oppress arc is finished*

“How’s this, George?”

“great! But I also want you to resurrect Darth maul”

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't really think the correct word for the portrayal of Mandalorians in the Clone Wars is "reworked". No civilization that spans through thousands of years should only have a bloodthirsty, war - worshipping culture for its entire history. All civilizations go through historical eras, so it would make perfect sense that under Satine Kruze it just so happened that the Mandalorians were going through their pacifist era. This doesn't negate that 1000 or even 100 years before that, they couldn't have had a military loving culture. Let alone the fact that KOTOR is more than 3000 years before the movie era. There's nothing wrong to giving more depth and better worldbuilding to an already existing concept. That's why I don't have any problems at all when people (including Filoni and Lucas) add depth to Star Wars by what some people would call "retconning". I only have a problem when Star Wars becomes more shallow and/or cynical by some people :p

Swashbucklingjedi and 2Cleva like this.
  15. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Oh I wouldn't call it a retcon either, it makes enough sense in the lore to be plausible with cultural evolution. I just think the designs from KOTOR looked better and the multi-species warrior/nomad culture was a more interesting concept. I felt like the Mandalore we got in TCW was so completely different from KOTOR that there was no reason to even call it Mandalore, except as an excuse to get the cool helmet, armor and jetpacks that everyone likes into the mix. Now ten years later they are finally bringing the two concepts together in The Mandalorian, but I haven't really seen the payoff yet. Maybe we'll get there and I hope we do, but I still can't get entirely onboard with it.

I like the Mandalorian story lines from TCW, but I still don't see why they had to be Mandalorians. [face_dunno]

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    New Republic is because of one actress. Sure there has been hickups here and there. But been ok for most part. She is over reaching and thinks like it is the 80's again.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    It was George Lucas who wanted to use Mandalore I think it was made clear in behind the scenes. He never considered EU canon so he wanted to create his Mandalore from scratch.

I don't really remember mandalorians being really that multispecies from EU either. There were very few aliens in KOTOR or TOR among mandalorians but they were predominantly human there too. That is the only real change I see that I can understand could legitimately bother you as "change".

But then again Empire and rebels are also mostly human without any logical reason, but mandalorians being clan-based system it makes sense.Since humans only give birth to humans naturally it would make sense that clan-based system doesn't stay multispecies culture for long, unless aliens are not forming their own clans since there may not be enough of them to reproduce. Then only foundlings and adopted children could be aliens and they could only raise adopted children. Sure having alien mandalorian clans would be interesting and since Mandalorians don't only live on their capital world of Mandalore there may still be some as well.

But it was well-established in TCW that mandalorians are warrior/nomad culture by origin and Death Watch still had that way of life after Viszla was revealed to be leader of them. So I don't understand why it is seen as changed at any point. New Mandalorians are addition, not really a change to what mandalorians are. Sure continuity was changed by adding new period of Mandalorian history, but I find it much more interesting to have changes than not to have change at all.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  18. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    He's great! Would love to see him do a SW Movie Trilogy!

I wonder when (or if) Ashoka will have children. I mean, she's one of the most powerful Force user out there right now. I wonder what would ever become of Ashoka's offspring if she ever had any. Lots of Midi-clorians to pass along. And what a legacy she would create!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2022
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I love Filoni and Favreau, but it’s nice to see someone like Gilroy also have great success with Star Wars. Proves that the franchise can keep refreshing itself with different creative visions. Bodes well for the future.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  20. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think Filoni understands Star Wars the most out of all the people currectly working on it. I love Mandalorian and liked Boba, but even Favreau doesn't quite have as good a handle on SW as Filoni. I think in Boba it was clear that Favreau was the weak link. Often Boba didn't quite feel like Boba, but suddenly in the episode written and directed by Filoni, he felt like his old self by simply being silent and looking tough. And now Filoni was responsible for the fantastic Tales of the Jedi. I think he should have a bigger role in the overall decision making of the franchise.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Was it because OT boba stayed silent and looked tough? Because i think the point was meant to be that Fett had changed after his time with the tuskens. And even in Clone Wars Boba isn't the silent and tough type.

And Filoni likely had a hand in Boba Fett also.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Who would she have them with?

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Lux Bonterri!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The midi-chlorians!

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree that Favreau without Filoni is often missing something. Are you watching Andor? I love that show a lot. Though it has a similar effect in that I think Gilroy paired with Edwards is the magic combo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022