main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference ~ Welcome to the Break Room ~ Emotion Wheels & Other Tools

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lady_Belligerent , Nov 2, 2022.

1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    You are, you just don’t know it yet. :p

2. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    awww :D

note: if you ever aspire to be a writer, do not read Stephen King's: On Writing, I'm telling you now. :p

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Now I’ll have to at least look it up. :p

Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I stumbled on these suggestions today:

Write it badly. Don’t worry about perfection, just write your piece. Once you’re done you’ll have a starting draft.

Start in the middle. This sounds like it could be kind of fun, so I plan on trying it.

Don’t give your hang up a name, once you’re convinced it’s writer’s block it will be more difficult to shake that from your mindset.

Dandelo and HanSolo29 like this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I attempted the 'start in the middle' one before, and to be honest, that actually made it a lot harder for me. It was like writing three different ideas (middle, beginning, and end) and then trying to piece them all together. The end product had no natural flow. It was very stilted.

But hey, you won't know until you give it a try!

devilinthedetails and Dandelo like this.
  6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well, I'm a pro at that :p

7. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    :rolleyes:
    No you aren’t. We all tend to be our harshest critics. :p

8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm worst at writing action scenes. I can picture everything perfectly in my head but I suck at writing it, why I start so many duels in RPG I have no clue :p

but this is about writers block :p

and for RPGing for me it is simple 'just react to what is given to you.
    A famous performer once said...'I'm a not an actor, I'm a reactor'

I use that principle in RPG games.
    (unless it's lightsaber dueling, then I'm like '**** why did I even start/agree to this?) happens every single time :p

9. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You sound like me but with space battles. [face_laugh] Make a note and we can address how to get us out of our comfort zones.

10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    noted :D

I think what I will do in future to stop the writers block part of duelling is to ask my opponent who the winnner will be before we actually begin,
    and what injuries if any will be obtained during it [face_thinking]

11. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    That’s pretty much the start in the middle method! Talking this through is already helping.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read that years ago. It’s the only King book I enjoyed enough to recommend without reservations.

I believe I’ve read a grand total of two of his books. The other was The Gunslinger.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  13. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I just stumbled on the best advice, or for me it is. :p Practice guided visualization, devoting just 10 minutes to it can be incredibly relaxing, I use it for sleep fairly often. It’s also my go to for dental visits, they always think I’m asleep because I really dig into it there.
    But, this author recommends it for overthinking, he said it can be used to clear your mind and to activate the imagination.

I enjoyed this guy that I was reading about, but I didn’t like how negative he skewed things at times.
    I recommend looking up guided visualization and finding a person with a voice that works for you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  14. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    This sort of goes with being “blocked” or just stuck with trying to use different words and phrases, let’s talk about what inspires you.

I know it sounds strange but I’m inspired by scents. Anything from baking bread to lime, basil, and mandarin. Once or twice recently I spritzed on my favorite fragrance, while in pajamas writing. A scented candle would be awesome, but I have a very big, wild puppy and I don’t want to risk an accident.

Fragrance was an unexpected source of inspiration for me, what inspires you?

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    History, mostly. If you want a story that seems realistic, look to reality... then twist it to suit you.

16. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I’m a big fan of historical fiction, so that’s always sending me down rabbit holes to learn more about things.

Great suggestion @Sarge

Do you use the internet for research or do you have books? I’ve got over 100 SW books :p not including more e-books for reference than I will admit to.

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, scent is a fascinating source of inspiration to bring up! I don't often directly think of myself as being inspired by scent, but there have been times when I have written while I've had scented candles lit, and my fingers do seem to write faster. I also think that scents can sometimes encourage me to include more of those rich details of smell that can enhance the setting of a story. Smell is often said to be the most evocative scent for us humans, so it makes a lot of sense that it could be a magnificent source of inspiration for our writing!

I am with Sarge in that I am often inspired by history. I can be inspired by anything from the ancient Romans and Egyptians to medieval Europe to World War II and the Holocaust. I devour historical fiction and non-fiction history books so that gives me a fairly strong basis on which to draw inspiration.

I also draw a lot of inspiration from real world cultures and geography/terrain. I've written stories inspired by Chinese, Russian, Japanese, and Arabian cultures, and Ive drawn inspiration for settings from everywhere from the Russian steppes to the Florida tropics.

For those wanting to draw inspiration from other cultures, I often recommend the Culture Shock and Culture Smart book series which gives quick and informative overviews of many different cultures. I'll supplement that with information gleaned from Google searches.

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo... scent is an interesting one!

I know I mentioned this above in response to the writer's block question, but I feel that it applies here as well. I tend to watch a TV show or a movie that reminds me of a character or a particular scene that I'm working on in a story. It puts me in the right mindset for my character and goes a long way in establishing the mood. I can usually pump out a post fairly quickly after that.

19. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Happy Thanksgiving to US folks, and happy Thursday to everyone else. I’m thankful for all of you sharing experiences to help us grow in this crazy hobby of ours. [face_chicken]

20. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    For me it is almost always music. I start writing by assembling a playlist. Remember when I started Sins of the Saints (god that was over ten years ago) I filled one of those USB-Drive/MP3 player hybrids with thirty songs and basically started every update by listening to a couple of songs until I got into the mood … then details like plot, words and stuff came all by themselves. So music always was the prime inspiration to me

21. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Music, or sound, is a good one. I love the sound of rain, that always inspires me.

Does location make a difference? I tend to write in car pool line when I’m stuck there waiting.

22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually I used to write while commuting. Nowadays I sit in my 24/7 cigar lounge at night, but that is not writing for RPGs anymore. So location is VERY important, yes.

I think writing is a lot about conditioning. You condition yourself to get into the right mood at a certain place or when a certain taste is on your mouth and that makes you get into the mood. If you manage to do that you really are not having problems writing anymore (and get rid of the concept you create art of course, haha)

23. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    How do you edit?

I tend to dig in for a few paragraphs before I go back and edit mistakes or reword anything. It’s how I can look for instances of using the same word over and over. :p Once I’m done with the post I can give a final read through to catch anything I missed the first or second time.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  25. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    lol @Sarge It never fails that I see a mistake after I hit post reply. :p

devilinthedetails , Dandelo and Sarge like this.