main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Like Elektra and Jen Walters, I’ll take Hell’s Kitchen’s a$$ instead thank you. [face_laugh]=D=

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Want are the five? I’m only remembering three.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "The Incredible Hulk"
    "Captain America: Civil War"
    "Avengers: Infinity War"
    "Avengers: Endgame"
    "Black Widow"

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Anybody heard about the recent news of Chris Hemsworth.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He might be genetically predisposed for dementia in older age?

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He's also taking a break from acting after receiving that news.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting article about Armor Wars becoming a movie. Turns out that scale and budget were one factor (as one would expect), while another is the desire to allow events from the film to affect future films more directly- which underscores Feige's comments the other year about how they're designing the MCU D+ shows so that people that only watch the films can still follow where things left off / pick up (ie: Falcon gets the shield in Endgame, is Cap next time we see him, how he got there can be inferred if you skip FALWIN, etc). That also suggests the story is being elevated to larger-scale events in general beyond just action/FX sequences.

8. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    The very curious rumor of the the day: The Tunderbolts movie will be about them facing off against the SQUADRON SUPREME.
    The Squadron Supreme is a Marvel mocking of DC's Justice League, with likes Hyperion ( Superman), Princess Power ( Wonder Woman), Dr. Spectrum ( Green Lantern), etc.
    Seems Feige wants all out war against the DCEU ( even if it doesn't exist anymore) [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

PS;
    anyway pundits like Daniel RPK and Grace Randolph stated Marvel is reall y casting someone to play Hyperion, although they never said it was related to the Thunderbolts.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If that ends up being true, that's certainly unexpected at this stage in the game. I'd be curious if they go with JMS's run on the characters or something else. Also, they have to know that they need to distinguish whatever they do from Invincible's take on the JL in addition to the actual DCEU JL characters. So that will be a fine line to walk. They also need to give a good reason to use Hyperion vs, say, Sentry, when it comes to "Evil Superman"-type characters.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wasn't the joke that...
    Cavill was being courted to be Hyperion, or Sentry, or something?

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, it was. Instead, he's going back to the real deal.

12. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Our lord and saviour is back!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Ghost likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I was coming to post this -- this is probably really good for this thread and really, really bad for Chapek...

14. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    how many non-franchise blockbusters?

Adam of Nuchtern and bstnsx704 like this.
  17. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I would like to see a new fantasy thing from Spielberg!

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It’s extremely funny watching MCU diehards get mad at him for this when Feige and other Disney execs have said the same thing.

Not to mention Disney’s record of strong arming theater owners to make sure their products get priority.

heels1785 and bstnsx704 like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Their products get priority because they sell the most tickets, you'd be foolish as a cinema chain not to stick MCU or Star Wars content in your biggest and best screens.

DC hasn't failed because Disney got MCU priority, it failed because the movies weren't good enough.
    That's on the studio and nobody else.

Avatar 2 will get priority because it's a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time, that would happen regardless of which studio owned it.

20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This isn't really a 'Marvel vs DC' thing, but more so a 'there's a brand new Spielberg movie out today and it is only playing at one theater in my state while the latest MCU movie is still playing everywhere' kind of thing.

21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I’m sure it totally doesn’t have to do with **** like this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...sney-over-hollywoods-cinerama-dome-45098/amp/

bstnsx704 likes this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Because it makes cinemas more money.

Spielberg is great of course, but he's not exactly releasing another Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park movie. However good it is or however many awards it wins, it won't help the cinema industry recover from the pandemic losses like Black Panther 2 or Avatar.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll give my perspective. In the 80's, my family went to different films. ROTJ, "Ghostbusters", "Lone Wolf McQuade", "Rambo: First Blood Part II", "The Karate Kid", "The Terminator" were the 1985 films we saw. In 1989 it was "Batman", Ghostbusters II", "Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade", "The 'Burbs", "The Abyss" and "Pet Sematary". In 1991 it was "Backdraft", "City Slickers", T2, "Ghost", "Freddy's Dead", "Prince Of Tides" and "The Addams Family". In 1995 it was "Batman Forever", "Die Hard With A Vengeance", "Mortal Kombat", "Dumb & Dumber", "Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers", "Street Fighter" and "The Bridges Of Madison County". In 99 it was TPM, "The Sixth Sense", "Stigmata" and "For The Love Of The Game".

Eventually things changed. It became more about big budget films, as opposed to more simple comedies and dramas. The rising cost of tickets, the inconvenience of people in theaters, the ability to control the movie, etc., all play a factor in where we are now.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    With both Hemsworth and Salanda saying they are ready to put a closer on their MCU characters, not that it's indicating a trend or bad or anything, heavens no, but it makes me wonder about the sustainability of the characters themselves as most MCU roles are directly tied to the actor. I mean not every one obviously but moreso than not. And this is where real life people playing superheroes run up against the beautiful/maddening notion of funnybook "Marvel time", never aging, stuck in 2nd act superheroes. Yes, there are legacy characters in the comics as well but almost always the original number returns for a spiffy new #1 issue. But humans are, like, aging and become expensive and stuff.

Rufflao could play Banner/Hulk until he's like 70 though, Banner ages but can still be Hulk. Old, Maestro version eventually please. C'mon Disney/Universal throw down and make that Hulk Future Imperfect movie. We have Professor Hulk right there!

[​IMG]
    Sorry got sidetracked, one of my favourite Hulk pages ever and would love to see it one day, but y'know what I mean. Or, fine, Avengers 7 can be Future Imperfect. Do that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is the most depressing and soulless thing about the MCU. Similarly, every character that has a robot death suit (about 45% of the characters now), can play until they are literally on their death beds. All they need is a couple shots of their face while they are standing up yelling and a fan is blowing at them. Then CGI some scanner displays around them and CGI the actual "hero" whenever anything needs to happen. In a few years they won't even need actors at all. Just robots reciting snappy dialogue while the plot mugs and winks at the viewers for 90 minutes before the big 40 minute sky beam finale fight.