main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Star Wars Movie - NOT FILMING April 7th, 2024 (Blame Fredrik!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by chris hayes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yes we will just agree to disagree.

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I personally think it was a mistake not have actual offspring from Luke Skywalker, but technically we did have Skywalker offspring with Ben Solo. Who knows, maybe they will bring him back because I don't think many were satisfied with making Rey an honorary Skywalker.

LFL is very strange IMO for taking the direction they did. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Marvel and DC is that they introduce offspring of the main characters and the kids are often different from the parents in interesting ways. If you consider a story a generational story, then it makes perfect sense to approach storytelling this way -- and this is perfectly artistic, literary approach, as some of the greatest novels written have focused on generational, historical struggles.

Instead, the creators of the new SW films assumed that they needed to go with new characters in order to escape the shadows of the old, and I think that fundamental insecurity contributed to the mixed results we saw.

Are Skywalkers absolutely necessary for successful SW stories? The answer is yes and no. Obviously, if you create great new characters, that will reduce some of the desire to see new Skywalkers. However, it won't reduce it all, especially for certain fans, and especially if the new characters are not developed well enough, as we saw in some cases.

The real question is why not do both? Why not create new interesting characters while also having some legacy characters? There really isn't a good answer here, IMO. It's an arbitrary decision based on the writer's desires and fears. I think the most practical approach would have been to do both.

Will they add more real Skywalkers to the stories? Doubtful. It seems a bit too clunky to do at this point. The only possibility I see would be bringing Ben back.

Will we see more of Luke Skywalker in the past? This is much more likely. Doing so would make many fans happy -- there's actually nothing wrong with this, although some think it a sin -- and LFL would profit greatly from more Luke content. As we've seen from the Mando and Boba shows, Luke Skywalker on screen makes fans go crazy. So there's no doubt in my mind that we'll continue to see more of him.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    ladygrey45 likes this.
  3. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I understand why LFL did what they did. Having Rey be an honorary Skywalker adds a new “layer” to the theme of family.

That said, the issue they face now is figuring out how to potentially do new movies with “Rey Skywalker” without it feeling like part of the Skywalker saga, since they made such a big deal about TRoS being the ending to that.

The easiest answer, imo, would be to just have Rey be a side character going forward, or even a background character.

4. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I 100 percent agree with this, I think they could bring more back into the future and have a combined thing going on liked you talked about, I’m hoping personally for a Luke show were he meets Mara Jade and they get separated and he thinks she’s dead low and behold they had a kid and then it lets Luke show up as a force ghost and Rey can team up with the kid since I assume the kid could be around Rey/ Kylos age, but yeah the EU went on for years and years with exciting stories about Skywalkers and I think a mix is the perfect combination like you said. And I really would want a Luke show but I would want him recast. But moving the story forward they really set themselves up for a difficult time with that I think it could be done and I think they need to bring back George Lucas or use some of his treatments.and Rey is an interesting character I want more of her they should just stop trying to go away from the skywalkers it’s not working well just embrace it.

5. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    To me it's like DC trying to do the Justice League without Superman or Batman. Or in Marvel, the X-Men without Storm or Wolverine or Jean Grey. Or the Avengers with no one recognizable. The Black Panther mantle was passed on to his sister, with a strong indication that T'Challa's son will eventually take over.

It's not impossible to go in a new direction, but when the approach is all or nothing, either-or, it's more challenging to pull off, and probably unnecessary. A balanced approach of old and new works best for these sorts of fantasy-sci fi stories, IMO, simply because a large number of fans enjoy generational storytelling.

With the ST, it would have been more appropriate to handle things in this way, and for those wanting a completely new, non-SKywalker approach, to handle that in a story set in the future or past.

ladygrey45 and 2Cleva like this.
  6. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Oh yeah I was like in the theater black Panther did it so much better than Star Wars , I was like everyone did it so much better than Star Wars haha.

2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The no more Skywalkers other then Rey i understand and somewhat agree on. He was 30 when he died. Maybe he had some flings before that. I cant wait for more stories post TROS. With new characters and ST legacy characters like Rey, Finn and Poe.

8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Are you talking about Ben? I’m talking Luke maybe had a kid haha

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes Ben, I dont think Luke in any stories would have kids.

10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Why not? Luke has always liked the ladies, and Jedi are not celibate.

2Cleva and ladygrey45 like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    No celibate no, but are very restricted. Same with monks. Like Obi-Wan only had one women in his life and that is Satine Kryze. Luke might have had a short romance. 0,5% of all Jedi in history had children. You have to choose the Jedi way or start a family.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I’ve always didn’t like that and preferred the EU were he does with Mara Jade you should be able to be a Jedi and have a family imo.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  13. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    For me, Ben Solo’s redemption in TRoS already kinda ticks that box, but to each their own.

14. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Some may have missed sex ed, but it only takes one time to make a baby. In fact, it only takes one sperm.

Luke seemed like a randy guy in the OT. Even the latest books depict him this way post-OT.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    “They should respect Lucas’ vision”

“They should bring back Mara Jade”

16. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I am large I contain multitudes. Let the jedis have fun.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You can’t really have both though, at least not in the instance of Mara Jade, because it’s so fundamentally not respecting his vision.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    In GL vision and Filoni's is Luke Skywalker is a jedi master and dont have kids. Goes to exile.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, having Luke’s love child suddenly appear after his death would be incredibly stupid. Palpatine and the Skywalker’s are all gone and the Force is balanced. The Skywalker name lives on with Rey. The End.

20. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Yeah, and some people also forget that when Lucas himself made Anakin a «Space Jesus», it also made took away the chances for the Skywalker ancestry line to come up with some surprise siblings or any family member from the past. Well, as far as we know Shmi did not have any other kids either way.

Luke having a hidden love child post ROTJ period is of couse technically possible, but as other points out above, is both a bit stupid + unlikely that he should not have known about this himself. As a storyteller you usually have the freedom to write anything you want, but sometimes its also good to close the curtain and have no loose ends.

21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Agree. One could say the same about Anakin, or Shmi. What if any had another kid lost out there? George was pretty explicit when it came to Luke no having kids. Nor the Jedi as a whole. The ST sort of put together the Palpatines and the Skywalkers (wirdly) and it ended both bloodlines.

So what I would say makes more sense is just continuing the story a few years after TROS (maybe 10 years?) have Rey around, some new Force sensitive lead characters, and have no more Skywalkers or Palpatines, besides Rey’s surname as a hommage of what came before.

Just that.

22. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    You're stupid! Or at least your taste is. ;)

I personally wouldn't love a "love child" suddenly showing up out of nowhere. When you put it like that, it does sound bad.

I was only pointing out that Luke could have had a child; being a Jedi doesn't preclude sex and the knocking up of women.

Is it possible to tell such a story in a non-stupid way? If the child didn't materialize from nowhere, as you imagine, then believability and inevitability could be created, washing most if not all of the stupid away. For instance, if we had a luke TV show that established his romantic relationship, whatever nature it took, that would build a natural expectation that their offspring might appear in future films.

I think the more relevant question is not whether something can be written stupidly or not -- good writing can solve almost any challenge -- but whether LFL will ever become desperate enough to bring a real Luke offspring in. The answer to that question is: who knows.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Maybe a 10 years after TROS story then as it's already 4 years by the time they might shoot then no need to do any aging.....

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    What you are talking about is a love child, and it makes Luke look irresponsible because Jedi should be, at the very least, be using Space Protection. You’re essentially saying that he got a woman pregnant and, whether knowingly or not, left the mother and the child.

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I do believe making Rey a Palpatine was one of the worst choices ever in SW. Don’t think many fans out there liked it. Why repeat the mistake with Luke?

Not only Lucas did not want HIS character to go in that direction, the story about Luke post OT is focused on rebuilding the Jedi Order and then training Ben. Inserting a lost wife and kid there is just cheap story telling. Exactly the oposite SW needs right now.