main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does Natalie Portman hate Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Emotional Jedi, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Natalie Portman hates everything.

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Again, is that Lucas' or the movies' fault or the haters'? In any case she did know before that she would be doing a STAR WARS movie, and that not everybody likes SW. But she decided to accept the role anyway. She also must have read the script, so had a pretty good idea what she was getting into. Besides, all the prequels made a decent amount of cash, which I'm sure none of the actors refused to profit from. Maybe Natalie could have made a "better" career ONLY based on Leon, and maybe not. Who knows? Same with Ewan. Could he, without any doubt, have made a career based ONLY on playing a heroin addict? Could he not have been typecast as a junkie in later movies? Just saying.... I find it a little unfair to blame everything on SW. And I was not aware anyone was forced to appear in it.

Seven85efg942 likes this.
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Personally, I actually think the script for The Phantom Menace, dialogue wise, for the most part, was solid. I think Attack Of The Clones was more the weaker dialogue one, to me.

4. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Typical standard professional critics were, while not nasty or vitriolic to her acting in the prequels (a few of even them did get nasty against Jar-Jar, probably some bordered on vitriolic to Hayden), very negative and even dismissive of it-and think she resents that reaction as well.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But is she able to see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Alpha-Red and Lulu Mars like this.
  6. Ewan

Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 4, 1999
    I do recall a couple specific comments she made in the early 2000s (just don't recall exactly when and where she said them, maybe someone can corroborate?) She said she thought that filming TPM would be much more "fun," and it was not, so she just gave up. Obviously this was pretty unprofessional, I think she was still a teenager when she said this. But her performance in TPM seems to bear this out. The earliest scenes she filmed were on Coruscant with Palpatine. I think these were among her best in the PT. As queen she was regal and as aloof as she had to be, but also subtle and emotional in some parts- her expression when Valorum proclaims he can't help her, her brief scene with Jar Jar, her reaction to Palpatine's nomination, and her resolve to go back to Naboo. But then as Padme in the desert (a dull and harsh desert shoot that came later), she seemed pretty wooden, her eyes almost glazed over in some scenes.

I think AOTC was probably her worst PT performance. She seemed stiff and wooden throughout the whole movie. The only scene of hers I can think of where I thought she was effective was when she discusses politics in the meadow with Anakin.

The other comment of hers I can recall was that she and everyone worked really hard on ROTS. "It was our last chance to, you know, do something with it." I think her ROTS performance was significantly improved, and she delivered where she had to in the important dramatic scenes. But somehow it still felt kind of uninspired, like she was there to work hard and do a professional job, but she didn't really believe in the movie or the character.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Dandelo likes this.
  7. Ewan

Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 4, 1999
    I do recall a couple specific comments she made in the early 2000s (just don't recall exactly when and where she said them, maybe someone can corroborate?) She said she thought that filming TPM would be much more "fun," and it was not, so she just gave up. Obviously this was pretty unprofessional, I think she was still a teenager when she said this. But her performance in TPM seems to bear this out. The earliest scenes she filmed were on Coruscant with Palpatine. I think these were among her best in the PT. As queen she was regal and as aloof as she had to be, but also subtle and emotional in some parts- her expression when Valorum proclaims he can't help her, her brief scene with Jar Jar, her reaction to Palpatine's nomination, and her resolve to go back to Naboo. But then as Padme in the desert (a dull and harsh desert shoot that came later), she seemed pretty wooden, her eyes almost glazed over in some scenes.

I think AOTC was probably her worst PT performance. She seemed stiff and wooden throughout the whole movie. The only scene of hers I can think of where I thought she was effective was when she discusses politics in the meadow with Anakin.

The other comment of hers I can recall was that she and everyone worked really hard on ROTS. "It was our last chance to, you know, do something with it." This comment obviously shows a certain amount of disdain for the PT as a whole. I do think her ROTS performance was significantly improved, and she delivered where she had to in the important dramatic scenes. But somehow it still felt kind of uninspired, like she was there to work hard and do a professional job, but she didn't really believe in the movie or the character.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

yes I pretty much agree with this

And part of it for me is I don't think she is that particularly great actress, yes I know she is oscar winning and have yet to see the movie she won it for, so maybe she really was fantastic in that role, but everything I have seen Portman in she is pretty uninspiring to me.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I remember for Thor: The Dark World there was alot of talk that she was difficult. like she wasn't interested in the film. I dunno if that's true, but its always convinced me that Portman takes her career VERY seriously with what roles interest her.

The most recent thing she said about star wars was this from variety

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  10. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Whoa, I thought The Professional was pretty liked by at most 2-3 years later and widely loved by around just 10 years later.

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    If she didn't already hate SW, which is certainly her prerogative anyhow, and who cares anyway, she just might hate it after reading this thread.

12. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Why you say that?

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Because Natalie hates reading threads.

Deliveranze and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Natalie just called me and said she hates threads where people say she hates threads

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I remember hearing her say that she also hates it when people tell other people what she just told them.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Oh you’re right I forgot :eek:. Looks like Natalie hates me now. And I’m sure she hates me for thinking she hates me, telling others that I think she hates me.

“Good. twice the thread posts, double the hate”

Sky_alma and Lulu Mars like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Hi, Nat.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I AM ALL THE NAT

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's what Palplatine meant about being the Nat.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the case of TDW, Patty Jenkins was originally tapped to direct, which Portman was ecstatic over. But when she left, her enthusiasm dropped like the stock market did in 1929.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Shelf of Shame Winner star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 4, 2021
    [​IMG]