main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Anakin Skywalker - Character Discussion...among other things.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rhiwarkeyl, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Same with me. Got the novel about two weeks or longer before the release of the movie and was really disappointed hearing the clumsy way the characters talked in it, compared to this masterpiece.

Although after TPM and AOTC, i should have known better.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    VENGEANCE2022 and K2771991 like this.
  2. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Should Lucas have included the scuffle with Greedo scene (with or without its very ending identifying Greedo) in TPM? Directly though briefly show Anakin even then did have some frustrations and temper?

3. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think he should have kept the fight with Greedo in the movie, though there are moments even in TPM that still show that side of Anakin, like when he gets angry at Sebulba, or scowls at Mace Windu.

The RotS novel is very good and a gripping read, but I'm one of those who didn't like Anakin's darkly humorous quips when he was slaughtering the Separatists. The film's version of a completely silent death figure stalking the base is much more effective. The novel also lacks some key moments, like Anakin shedding a tear on Mustafar and Obi-Wan's "I have failed you" line. I think the novel makes Anakin too remorseless.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The junior novelization has the "I have failed you" line, but it has a few others as well that aren't in the movie.

The platform wobbled, but it held his weight. He leaned to one side, steering it away from the collection tower. Perhaps the sinking tower and the lava would do what he had been unable to finish.
    But when he looked back, Anakin was standing on a worker droid, coming up fast. “Your combat skills have always been poor,” he taunted. “You’re called the Negotiator because you can’t fight!”
    “I have failed you, Anakin,” Obi-Wan told him. “I was never able to teach you to think.”
    Anakin nodded. “I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over.”
    “From the Sith!” Obi-Wan cried, shocked. “Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil.”
    “From the Jedi point of view!” Anakin retorted. “From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.”
    The words stabbed at Obi-Wan, even though he knew that Anakin was speaking out of his own pain. He felt the dark side grow stronger, feeding on his despair. And then, as Anakin came close enough to swing his lightsaber once more, the Jedi in Obi-Wan rose up and at last he did the thing he hadn’t thought he could do.
    He let go. Calm, centered, free—for the moment—of sorrow and despair, resting in the living Force as he had been trained to do, Obi-Wan Kenobi looked at his former friend and student, and did the unexpected. He made a soaring leap into the air and landed on the high bank of the lava river.
    “It’s over, Anakin,” he said, looking down. “I have the high ground. Don’t try it.”
    “You underestimate the power of the dark side!” Anakin shot back, and with the last word, he jumped.
    And Obi-Wan’s lightsaber moved, slicing through Anakin’s knees and then coming up to take his remaining hand. Anakin’s lightsaber fell at Obi-Wan’s feet. What was left of Anakin fell on the burning black sand almost at the edge of the lava.
    Anakin—no, Obi-Wan reminded himself, not Anakin. Darth Vader. Darth Vader scrabbled at the sand with his metal arm, trying to pull himself away from the lava river.

5. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    You can tell it's the junior novelization becuase of the grade schoolyard-tier insults

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  6. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Did Lucas admit Episode III's Anakin's hair was inspired by movie Frodo's?

7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    That Jedi Mullet was rock’im:

[​IMG]

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Greatest SW hairstyle. Inspired his son, grandson, and Timothèe Chalamet in Dune ;)

wobbits, Count Yubnub and Kato Sai like this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    didn't he say it was meant to mimic the shape of Vader's helmet ?

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Woah.. I can see that now! :eek:

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Not to mention the final hairstyle seemed to be improvised. George wanted a longer hairstyle for the character and went with a ponytail style that Hayden actually tried. However, Hayden felt uncomfortable with the feathery hair and both him and George both didn’t like it. I think Hayden got to decide the final look, or at least had some say, according to the BTS footage for Episode III as he tells Rick McCallum that “this has to be the way”

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    wobbits likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Where does Anakin canonically get the Scar scar over and below his eye? In the TCW comics and TCW Microseries it was the doing of Asajj Ventress.

13. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    According to George: Slipping in the bathtub (but he’d never admit it)

Subtext Mining likes this.
  14. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Recently I have thought that Leonardo DiCaprio should have played Anakin in II and III (as long as he would still be able to do Catch Me If You Can), from that he looked more like both Lloyd and Hamill and that he probably would have had more charisma including romantic chemistry and later on dark charisma.

15. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why should he have charisma in that situation, and not be just shown for what he is?

I don't think DiCaprio necesarily fits with the tension of the character or that his vibe fits as well with Natalie Portman.

I've thought about Heath Ledger though for that.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Dark Ferus and Watcherwithin like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember having that discussion at work in 2000. The assumption then was that DiCaprio coming straight off Titanic fame and resembling Lloyd to some extent, would be the pick.

But I think the awful stilted dialogue that Lucas wrote for Christensen and Portman was the problem, not the actors themselves. Christensen in both Higher Ground and Life as a House showed that he had what it takes to play an emotionally traumatized teenager/young adult who is in an awkward romance. Neither Scott Barringer nor Sam Monroe said crap like “I’m haunted by the kiss you should have never given me, my heart is beating hoping that kiss will not become a scar.”

wobbits likes this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Fireplace scene is great. One of my favorites between two leads in any of the SW films.

18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    On the other hand, the adult novelization does add more dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan where Anakin more explicitly gives Obi-Wan a chance to leave before their duel.
    "I'll give you a chance, Obi-Wan, for old time's sake. Go some place out of the way, retire, meditate. That's what you like to do, isn't it?"

Anakin's exact thoughts explicitly described here, but it can easily be read as him not wanting to hurt Obi-Wan at least on some level.

19. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    The ROTS movie novelization has a lot of good stuff in it (quite a bit of which, IMO, greatly improves the story and should have been in the film).

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  21. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Would you have liked Anakin more if he had been more like Henry from The Good Son, kind of openly greedy or at least jealous from the start?

Or if he had been, or just his romance with Padme had been, more like Khan from "Space Seed"?

22. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    A totally random thought about the character:

I’d like to look like Anakin. You can say whatever you want about the character, but you can’t deny that he’s aesthetically very attractive. I’d like to be like him...

Unfortunately I'm the opposite, as I'm short, stocky and almost totally blind. Lol.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Everyone isn't attracted to the same looks, so I'd say some of us probably can deny it ;)

That said, I do love his ROTS style.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  24. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I think Hayden portrayed Anakin perfectly. He's gotten a lot of flack over the years, and I never understood why. To me, he is Anakin.

25. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Agreed 100%. I honestly couldn't imagine any other actor who could be more fitting for that role. I never understood the hate he got back then, and understand it even less nowadays.

Happy Sando likes this.