main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I don’t think James Cameron is making these Avatar movies for North America. These are international movies he’s making now.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    @Jedimarine

I love your summary. It rings very true. It’s actually sounds like the finest version of the heady stuff people say about returning to a movie theater.

I remover when I went back to a movie theater for the first time in 2021 after having not been to one in over a year. And all the same trailers from 2020 were playing. And the theater had the same silence your phone and buy popcorn ad as before the pandemic.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Jedimarine, BigAl6ft6 and solojones like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

"When the movie is a little too loud!"

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway my guess is that Avatar will hit streaming anytime around mid-March or April. Definitely May is too late and it would clash against GotGV3 in theatres with Disney. Cameron said that the movie needed 3 months to know if people will want more so look for that timeframe. I'm vaguely curious if it will do what Warner Brothers had done a bit which is put it on Digital Purchase before HBOMax for some movies (but only like 2 weeks), or in a big way how Paramount put Top Gun Maverick on digital in September but only streaming on Paramount Plus by December. However, I think D+ will want to keep them subs by keeping it launch on D+. So I'm guessing Mid March to Mid April is when Way of Water will be available streaming on D+ "for free" and also digital purchase, not just exclusive digital purchase first.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, going into this next holiday weekend (and the start of the film's 3rd week), A2 took in another $20.1m domestically on Thurs to maintain an approx. 20-21% lead over A1's gross so far. Which has basically been the story for its entire second week. For comparison, the first week averaged a 30-31% lead.

Domestic sits at $358.1m (59th All-Time, Unadjusted), Worldwide total at $168.7m over a billion (23rd of All-Time, Unadjusted), though worldwide total isn't usually updated daily, so it's certainly much higher currently.

For other comparisons, Rogue One had $375.4m at the same point in its run, but A2 has been showing better weekday performances despite opening lower. A2 is expected to have a better third weekend than RO as well, which predictions have in the $50-60m- the upper range of which would pass NWH's NYE weekend performance and, with pretty much anything in that range, would pace A2 ahead of (or dead-even with) RO after the weekend.

No new releases this weekend, either. So, with Babylon likely dropping out of the picture heavily, it's basically just A2, Puss in Boots and Wakanda fighting for the top 3, Whitey likely holding fourth place without challenge and fifth being a fight between Violent Night and The Whale.

Fabelmans, Menu, Babylon & Strange World will round out the Top 10 in the remaining range. Small chance Babylon holds enough screens to bump it back up into the Whale/Violent Night brawl (I don't know how many screens it'll be on). Wildcard is A Man Called Otto, depending on how it performs in LA & NYC. With so much of the Top 10 under-performing, there's a good chance it'll rank pretty well and bounce one of the bottom half of that list off the chart.

EDIT- On a sidenote, going back to the OP of this thread and seeing how radical the release schedule changed over the course of this year is rather amusing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedimarine But kids are different than we were growing up as honestly most of their social life is on their devices as many are just fine staying at home and seeing something. As I mentioned before, the drop in going to the movies over the past ten years I have seen as a high school teacher is absolutely crazy. Plus, there isn't an HP or THG franchise out there right now that truly lures in teenagers. Yes, I know MCU is big with teenagers obviously but does not come close to how big HP and THG were. I really think studios need to start pushing out content that can get a bigger chunk of the teenager demo. TV is doing that much better than movies are right now. My students are much more into different streaming TV shows than they are movie franchises right now. Be interesting to see if that changes over the next several years.

@The2ndQuest Yeah Avatar 2 just posted the biggest Thursday of the year. Definitely looking at least a $500 million/$1.5 billion split with most likely Avatar 2 getting the worldwide belt for this year but Maverick winning the domestic crown. I wouldn't be shocked if we see that more often going forward particularly with Avatar 3 in 2024.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A3's prospects in the future really depend on how "different" it can present itself. A2 took the typical Cameron sequel approach and gave you a new taste of something familiar, then built out into something new. A3 really needs to deliver the new-new for a hook. If they try to sell "more of the same", it'll stagnate. Moving from water to a different natural environment won't be enough. They'll need to open the world(s) up more.

But I trust Cameron has something in mind for that- if A2 is performing this well with only, effectively, a halfway point in the story, whatever the true climax is for this semi-duology that we'll be getting in A3 has gotta be pretty massive.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Final weekend Top 10 of 2022 estimates:

-Puss in Boots 2: $16.3
    -BP2: $4.8
    -Whitney: $4.3
    -Babylon: $2.7
    -Violent: $2.1
    -Whale: $1.3
    -Fabelmans: $1.14
    -Menu: $1.07
    -Strange World: $0.5

Devotion took in $0.3 in 11th and Empire of Light with $0.1 in 12th. Everything else below that is under 100k. Otto is estimating $60k in 16th for LA/NYC only.

A2's take this weekend would be higher than NWH's NYE weekend take and pace A2 just $3.3m behind RO's domestic total. The different holiday landing for A1 vs A2 hurts A2's lead, bringing it down to about 16.5% ahead of A1's domestic total, with Sat/NYE being the biggest hit in comparative performance (-44% compared to that same, non-NYE Sat for A1).

EDIT- Monday afternoon:

The total BO for the final weekend of 2022 is only $0.2m under 2021's- and when Actuals are revealed, it may just tie or surpass that. Still below pre-pandemic levels, obviously (by about half).

Going by estimates, A2 had the 4th best 3rd weekend of all time, and Monday estimates have raised it to $441m domestic and paces it about $46m ahead of Maverick. It also saw a 4% international increase. BOM reports that this represents the best winter blockbuster legs since A1.

Monday estimates also push it ahead of Wakanda domestically ($440m) to secure the #2 slot for 2022 domestically. It's also only days away from topping Maverick worldwide for the worldwide #1 slot for 2022 (and would have still done so even without China, just would have taken another week or so). Those estimates also pace it less than 400k under Rogue One.

Puss in Boots, meanwhile, saw a 31% boost, which is putting it on par with Sing 2 worldwide. Wakanda also rose, by 38%.

Babylon dropped by about a quarter and basically only has the hope of an overseas performance this month saving its pricetag.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Weekend Actuals are out- and A2 actually increased by $4.0m, so it has officially outpaced RO for the first time in that final weekend of 2022, finishing out the 2022 stretch of its run about 17% ahead of A1. Puss in Boots and BP also rose by about $0.5m each, while Whitney dropped from estimates by about the same. Meanwhile, Menu managed to edge out Fabelmans and swap spots as a result.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    ya I think it's gonna do fine now. $500 million in the U.S. this weekend, with a likely $600+ million total, and at least $1.7 b worldwide. Well on its way to becoming the most successful non Star Wars non Marvel sequel of all time.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- other interesting notes:

-A2 will likely surpass Episode I's domestic total today, which would put it in the Top 20 on the All-Time list (possibly even as high as #18).

-Worldwide, it has already passed Ultron to take the #13 All-Time slot. It will certainly pass Maverick today on that chart as well, with Furious 7 and Avengers 1 in the crosshairs. So it'll be Top 10 by tomorrow. I think it will need at least another week to get past Lion King and Jurassic World, however. Then the big challenge of NWH looms in front of it so it'll chill at #7 for awhile.

BigAl6ft6, Othini and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Holiday Season is now over in most markets for Avatatar 2
    Update Tuesday:

$10.4M 3rd TUES - DOMESTIC
    $ 457.3M TOTAL DOMESTIC

$ 28M 3rd TUE International
    $1025M Total International

Worldwide:
    TUESDAY $38.7M TOTAL: $1.48B

Biggest INT markets:
    CN - $165M
    FR - $96.5M
    KOR - $76M
    GER - $74M
    UK - $60M
    IN - $51M
    MEX - $39M
    AUS - $38M
    IT - $34M
    ESP - $30M
    BR - $25M
    JP - $19.5M
    INDO - $17.5M
    TW - $16M
    NED - $15M

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The2ndQuest Yeah it needs roughly $600 million and change worldwide to break $2 billion. Not sure if it can get there but I don't think it's a definite no either. Be incredible if it does though. Cameron would directed three movies that hit $2 billion worldwide. That is just insane.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Everybody going to say Avatar 3 will tank because it "left no cultural impact"? Anyway I'm curious if this gets Avatar 4 & 5 greenlight or just 4

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I still think it will fall a bit short, but possibly not by much.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Avatar 3 could do better in North America than The Way of Water - depending how The Way of Water is received on D+ and home video.

I think they make 4 and pause 5.

The Way of Water did fine in North America. It’s doing great around the world.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    One thing Avatar 3 probably won't do is break opening weekend records which is perfectly fine although people will still complain anyway