main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2023 Box Office Blood Barbie

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2022.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Expectations are for M3GAN to hit the 20-30 range and be the biggest non-franchise opening weekend since early/mid-Sept. A2 is likely to be in the 40-60 range (A1 did $50.3m in the comparable weekend).

M3GAN might eat into that a bit more though and drop A2 into the 30’s (A1 didn’t have a high profile film opening against it in that weekend).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And A2 did in fact officially pass $1.5b worldwide on Wed. Domesticly, it made $7.5m Wed, which is 8% over A1's take that day and paces the overall domestic total at just under 19.5% over A1's.

It now sits on the Domestic All-Time comfortably between ANH & TPM at #21. It's just under $10m shy of TPM, so I think Thurs alone won't be enough but Fri will do the deed. Worldwide, it passed Maverick and Furious 7 on Wed to become the #10 All-Time and is only $2.3m shy of Avengers 1 for the 9th slot.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thursday Actuals for A2:
    -$6.8m Domestic, 10%+ over A1 for the day. Puts third week at 14.69% over A1's (up from 8.67% in Week 2). 19.31% over A1 domestic total (was 19.44% yesterday).
    -A2 remains at #21 Domestic All-Time. Now only $2.8m under TPM.
    -A2 rises to #9 on Worldwide chart, passing Avengers 1. Next up is The Lion King remake, which has a $116.2m lead currently.

So now things head into Week 4, which will probably be the best indicator for A2s upper limit (depending on how long it runs in theaters and especially overseas ie: China). A2 had the 3rd best 3rd weekend ever last weekend (after The Force Awakens and A1), and its most recent competitors (Maverick and NWH) have the 3rd and 7th records for 4th weekends ($44.7m & $32.6m, respectively).

The former isn't impossible to topple if A2 outperforms predictions this weekend, but seems a little outside current expectations. NWH will be much more likely to be surpassed in that regard. BP1 and A1 sit in the range in-between them and are both potential targets. A1 holds the #2 slot with $50.3 which would be very good for A2 if it can do that well (but seems like a distant outlier). American Sniper owns #1 for fourth weekends at $89.3 and its reign will not be challenged any time soon (it had a 3-week, soft roll-out before opening wide).

EDIT- Friday Estimates have an interesting story: they show M3GAN in first with $11.7m and A2 in second with $11.3m. However, that estimate for M3GAN likely includes Thurs previews, which we know came to $2.75m. So, M3GAN's take is seemingly just under $9m for Friday from which one can extrapolate the rest of the weekend from. And horror films tend to take a steeper dive after the first day, and especially into Sunday. So A2 will likely regain the #1 spot sat night and remain at the top for the weekend and the weekend overall.

So, I'm thinking $23-27m for M3GAN (counting previews) and $30-36m for A2.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I underestimated both it seems! Weekend estimates are out:

-A2: $45m
    -M3GAN: $30.2m
    -Puss: $13.1m
    -Otto: $4.2m
    -BP2: $3.4m

Basically, A2 got a slight uptick for Fri above the estimates i posted above (but only by $0.1m), then a big bump Sat and surpassed the Fri pull Sun on top of that. M3GAN managed to match the Thurs+Fri pull on Sat and have a decent Sun drop-off.

A2 Sat: $20.7m
    M Sat: $11.7m
    A2 Sun: Just under $13m
    M Sun: $6.8

If these figures hold for the Actuals, domestically, A2 will jump past Episode I all the way to ahead of Episode IX to #16 with Rogue One just ahead of it.

Worldwide, it takes the #7 slot, jumping ahead of The Lion King and Jurassic World. Next up? NWH, which currently has about a $208m lead over A2.

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Way of Water is starting to show good holds. Now we find out what sort of legs it has.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depending on what happens with China, the movie has potentially as much as another $100m to acquire there. If that happens, NWH definitely goes down (in combination with US and other territories), with Infinity War and Episode VII in play. I don't think Titanic, Endgame or A1 are within reach after that, though, unless this has insane holds by time Ant-Man comes out.

But Cameron could legitimately have 3 out of the 4 top grossing films of all time worldwide by time this over.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    But not in North America.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, just speaking worldwide. Domestic Top 10 is tough going and more varied.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Again, why does the robot girl look like a deranged Olsen twin!?

Master_Lok and nilzo antonio like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Default state of evil.

[​IMG]

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Hot take: Elizabeth Olsen is more talented than older her twin sisters.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It's true.

Not so hot take: Sam Raimi should do another horror movie and cast her as a demon or deadite or something and let her maniacally cackle into the camera as it snap zooms into her eyes.

14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It will likely take at least 2 more weeks for Avatar 2 to reach $600 million, but MLK day will help a lot. That will be worth an extra $10-15 million Friday-Monday.

M3GAN's marketing has been excellent, and the review didn't hurt either. The trailers made it look like Chucky goes to 11. I'd definitely watch it on streaming.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The marketing was more effective than the film, but it does the job.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is that a hot take at this point? I'm not sure the twins were ever particularly respected as actors.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    When was the last time they actually worked as actors?
    It will likely make at least 10x its production budget worldwide, so a wildly successful endeavor, no matter how dumb it is. I assume extremely dumb. I loved the trailer for its "Ex Machina for Dummies" vibe. It wasn't enough to make me wildly excited about seeing it. Still no Cocaine Bear, although I just noticed Cocaine Bear was directed by Elizabeth Banks, who brought us the 2019 Charlie's Angels reboot/remake/whatever and Pitch Perfect 2. She's a fine actress.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Fins

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And a dramatic twist! The final weekend before Ant-Man comes out will be a box office showdown between James Cameron... and James Cameron!

A2 Weekend Actuals:
    -Fri: 11.4
    -Sat: 20.7
    -Sun: 13.7 (a 0.7-0.8 uptick from Estimates)
    -Weekend: $48.8m
    (M3GAN also got a 0.2 weekend bump over Estimates as well)

All three days represent a drop from A1 in the same time period. The first entire weekend to have drops. Previously there have only been 6 days (out of the 21 prior to this weekend) that had drops- and most of those were because of the holiday calendar differences and very small drops on a weekday here or there. Drops were -16.67%, -2.9% & -15.33%, respectively. However, A2 remains pacing ahead of A1 by 16.71%.

Current A2 stats:
    -$517.6m Domestic, #16 All-Time ($15.9m til RO, $17.4m til TDK, $24m til The Lion King '19, $89m til The Incredibles 2)
    -$713.1m over a Billion Worldwide, #7 All-Time ($202.7m til NWH, $333.8m til Infinity War)
    -At present, A2 could stop making any more money today and remain ahead of A1's pace for 10 days, domestically.

Also worth noting that this was the first weekend since July where two films grossed over $20m.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Responsible Underlying Analysis: Sam Raimi should make Spiderman 4 starring Tobey Maguire and ignore all those stupid other films that have been made in the interval.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Raimi's Spidey movies are undoubtedly the best Spidey movies, but I'm more in the mood for some more Raimi horror-comedy at this stage.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    After all of the weirdness he was able to bring to Multiverse of Madness despite it being an MCU film, it would be amazing to see him really let loose again without have a franchise or a powerful producer exercising oversight (though I think Feige or whoever did a good job letting him do his thing in Multiverse; but there still had to be some places where they did or would have drawn a line if he'd tried to cross).

Though after No Way Home, yeah, I'd take a present day Spider-Man 4 where we catch up with Tobey's Peter after he's been web-slinging for a couple of decades.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’d actually like to see Raimi & Tobey do Spider-Man Noir.

Arwen Sith likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Are there any updates to the Titanic 25th anniversary edition like did they put Jabba in the movie?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Right before Jack freezes to death he yells “Maclunky!”