main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But fitting with his attachment issues. He's afraid of Padme leaving him and he lashes out. Up to the fight with Rush, Anakin is deeply afraid and that fear of losing her turns to anger and hate. Once he draws his Lightsaber to attack him, he has gone off the rails. When he snaps out of it, he realizes how bad the whole situation was. We see why he accuses Obi-Wan of trying to take her from him, though there it's because he told her the truth about what he did.

wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Of course, it's very fitting!

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I don’t really like how Anakin treats Padme in the Clovis arc. Just added a weird domestic issue undertone that just seemed out of character. Its considered a cool moment when Anakin ****s up Clovis (let’s be frank, Clovis deserved it) but at the same time, I know if that was a live-action scene in AOTC or ROTS, people would hold that as another slight against the character.

wobbits and Dark Ferus like this.
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In AOTC, Anakin shows classic signs of jealousy when Padme talks about Palo, her first boyfriend. So worrying that she might be tempted by another ex that came into her life, is understandable able. Add in his growing power in the Force and how negative emotions intensify a Jedi's connection and you have a recipe for a volatile situation.

wobbits likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't like the VA for Yoda in TCW. I just don't.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't get that at all. It just annoys me when someone is possessive and jumps to conclusions. It annoys me even more when their jealousy turns into physical assault. It's completely irrational and no one deserves to fall victim to such an attack.
    Jealousy is relatable, but cool? No way.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Agreed, but he is great as the announcer and as Yularen.

8. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I usually don’t appreciate TCW Anakin, but in this specific case I don’t think he was completely wrong.

I mean... How would you react if your partner and his/her ex-boyfriend/girlfriend were forced to spend a lot of time alone without you? Don't tell me that It would not bother you and that you would say there's absolutely no problem with it, because you know very well that's not what you would do. How would you react if your partner’s ex-boyfriend/girlfriend started to shamelessly flirt with him/her in front of your eyes? Please, don’t tell me that you would remain calm and show no sign of jealousy, because you know that’s not what you would do. Finally, how would you react if you found your partner’s ex-boyfriend/girlfriend trying to kiss him/her? Again, don’t tell me that you would remain calm and rational, because you know very well that’s not what you would do.

Now, we can argue whether Anakin was right to beat Clovis or not, but I don’t think we can argue that he was right to be jealous. Anyone would be jealous in a situation similar to the one he experienced, and anyone who says otherwise is simply lying to himself and to everyone else. How do you think he should have acted otherwise? Do you think he should have told Padmé: "Sure, there’s no problem if your ex boyfriend flirts with you in front of me"? If that’s what you think he should have told her, then I’m sorry, but you and I have a totally different concept of how life works.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The point isn't how you would react, it's how you should react. What Anakin did was of course wrong, even more so because he was a Jedi. Padmé wasn't in danger and she didn't do anything behind his back. What he should have done was simply accept the situation and endure it. Instead he gave into his fear, greed and jealousy.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Don't tell me that everyone is the same, because you know very well that we're not. Clearly, you don't know me. You have no idea what I'm like in a romantic relationship.
    I would remain calm and rational. My ex-partner would back me up on that. You don't get to decide what I would or wouldn't do.

Furthermore, feeling jealous ≠ being possessive and assaulting people.

Mostly Handless and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Chuck Wendig, author of the Aftermath trilogy of books, created the foundation for the State of the Galaxy that makes today's Mando-verse so compelling.

12. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I don't share this stoic approach. Unfortunately, human beings are jealous and possessive creatures by nature, you can't expect them to disregard their primal and natural instincts. You can keep them under control and let them out in a controlled way, but you can't avoid letting them out altogether. You have to have balance. In fact, I'm in favor of controlled jealousy. That is: I accept the situation, but that doesn't mean I like it, nor that I can't be angry about it. If I was in Anakin's place, then I would have told Padmé: "Look, I want to try to stay calm, but I don't like that guy buzzing around you. Be careful with that guy, I don't like him.". And if I had caught Clovis trying to kiss Padmé, then I wouldn't have jumped on him, but I would have still forced him away from Padmé, shutting him out of the door. In these situations, you must not react in an extreme way, but you must also not passively accept the situation. You must be balanced, you must act, but without exaggerating.
    Also, I would like to point out that Padmé was surrounded by men all day. It's not like Anakin stopped her from being in the presence of men, or whatever. It just annoyed Anakin that Padmé's ex-boyfriend was flirting with her in front of his eyes. That's all. Did he exaggerated? Sure. But it's not like if he didn't have a reason for being jelous.

I could comment this, but I don't want to make assumptions, so I just prefer to keep my thoughts for myself.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I can. Human beings can be jealous and possessive, but above all they also have the intellect and capacity to use reason and exercise self control. It's because we are taught morals, reason and discipline, and abide by them, that we are able to coexist in society. It's what allows you to leave your house with enough confidence that you're not going to get beaten up by the first person you happen to cross paths with.

It's when those basic pillars are forgotten or disregarded that everything turns into chaos, both within ourselves and those around you. The entire world is full of examples.

Just because you can murder people doesn't mean you should murder people. Just because you can steal doesn't mean you should steal. Just because you are fearful doesn't mean you should act fearful. Just because you want things, doesn't mean you should take things.

Can and should are two very different concepts. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Of course you can. People to that all the time.

That's what I'm saying. If you're exercising control, then you are already acknowledging that it's something you shouldn't do, and are acting with reason and discipline. You are letting your anger go away to the point of not acting upon it. It's that discipline that the Jedi teach and most people tend to exercise.

No, you must not act. Padmé was not in danger. He wasn't trying to protect her. He acted to satisfy his fear and greed, which he shouldn't.

Anakin was informed of the situation from day 1. He should follow Padmé's altruistic example and accept it, not matter how much he dislikes it nor how much pain he feels. He should "bear the cross" and move on. Be selfless, not selfish.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have no interest in anything GL says or writes about Star Wars.

15. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    MFs “separate the art from the artist” until they have no interest in the original movie (its what George Lucas says and wrote about Star Wars)

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A Jedi who has no self control becomes a Sith. Anakin didn’t exercise control with the Tusken Raiders, Ventress, Dooku, Rush and finally with Padme. Luke was taught to exercise control and to be stoic. Just like all the other Jedi.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't see any jealousy on Anakin's part at all. The conversation is light-hearted, more about childhood memories than love. In fact Anakin even seems to defend Palo: "maybe he was the smart one". I wonder if we have seen the same movie at all?

Dark Ferus likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's just banter. He asks about past boyfriends, and she picks up on what Anakin is doing and starts to compliment the past boyfriend to make him jealous. But it's superficial, they soon move on from that.

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That's very wise :)

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Indeed it is, and I'd like to share some thoughts on why that is so wise... o_O

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    In terms of visual narratives Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is the closest we have to a continuation of the OT.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Interesting! I've never played that game, myself. Just the sequel, Jedi Outcast. I spent most of my time fighting bots in multiplayer modes, which was really fun :)

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Dark Forces II (at least the live-action cinematics) is one of those perfect illustrations of how far people diverged and deviated in their interpretation of the Star Wars universe beyond the OT. Now we can see how bizarre it is. In many ways, the PT helped reign things back to what it has always been as far as the visual language goes. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy already benefitted from that, they are much more conventional by comparison.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's a loaded comment. As Lucas pointed out, he brings up the uncomfortable subject of past boyfriends and when she describes Palo, he acts a bit jealous. He then changes the subject.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Latest BB episode, Solitary Clone, isn't very interesting.