main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2023 Reading Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', Jan 3, 2023.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Welcome to the 2023 Reader’s challenge! This year’s challenge is about upping your reading game in a big way. Below you will find 23 prompts (for 2023) to challenge you to get outside of your comfort zone when it comes to reading fanfic! Hopefully it will broaden your horizons and push you to read something you never would have clicked on.

Who knows, you may uncover a new favourite genre or author, get a fresh perspective on a character or see an event in a whole new light! Part of the challenge is also leaving feedback for the author which is great for growing our community and sharing the love around.

How it works:

1. This is a yearlong challenge that runs from now until the 1st of January 2024
    2. There are 23 fic prompts to this reading challenge. You may read any fic that fits the prompt
    3. To be eligible for this challenge you need to sign up by stating your intent below. In your post you will need to copy the list of the challenges
    4. Once you’ve read a fic that meets the challenge, edit your original post with the title of the work next to the prompt. Also leave a short review of the fic next to the prompt, This will help keep track of your progress and let others know about the great fics you've found
    5. Make sure that you also share the love in the fic itself and let the author know on their fic what you loved about their work.
    6. Just a reminder that fics can be from any year. Even if you wanted to go back and read something from 2013, you can! I'm sure authors would love to see their older fics getting some love.

Prompts -

1. A fic by your favourite* author

2. A fic with two or more authors

3. A short story/one shot

4. A fic whose chapters have titles

5. A fic starring a non-human character

6. A challenge winner

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided

10. A fic with only canon characters

11. A fic by a new^ author

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show

14. A fic with a great first line

15. A fic whose main character is an OC

16. A fic whose title catches your attention

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title

21. A fic with a five-syllable title

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective

* - Favourite = an author that you really enjoy reading

^ New author = someone who has joined in the last two years.

Good luck and happy reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2023
  2. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
  3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Ooh, I've been wondering if this would come back! What a great way to expand our reading horizons and help build up our fellow writers. I know we've had a lot of focus on writing challenges lately, which is awesome; but reading and reviewing is such a huge part of what makes fanfic so great, and especially communities like this one. Thanks for hosting this, @Kit'! I'm in. [face_batting]

1. A fic by your favourite* author – I’ve had several favorite authors over the years, but for this one I’m going to pick The Walls We Hide Behind by @Gabri_Jade. This one-shot is a beautifully crafted, slowly creeping horror story that explores the potential dark side of Luke and Mara’s unique Force bond. Disturbing and visceral and brilliant, with some truly lovely prose, I can’t recommend this one highly enough!

2. A fic with two or more authorsA Profusion of Palpatines by @Bel505 & @SnubJockey is crack!fic at its best: smart, zany, and very well-written. The situation portrayed in this story might be absurd (though perhaps no more absurd than certain aspects of both old and new canon, ymmv), but the characterizations are excellent, the humor is sharp, the banter is snappy, and the whole thing left me with the biggest grin on my face.

3. A short story/one shot – For this category, I chose @Mira_Jade's The Care and Feeding of the Umbaran Selenica, a delightful one-shot composed of smaller ficlets which showcase the former Darth Maul’s continuing journey toward the light in Mira’s Song!verse AU. There are a plethora of cameos from OT/PT, Legends, and nu!canon characters, which are blended seamlessly into the narrative as Maul (Zaed) makes his foray into the world of horticulture. This one is not to be missed.

4. A fic whose chapters have titles –This might be stretching the definition of “chapter” a bit, but as @Gabri_Jade's From the Ground Up focuses entirely on her Jade family OCs (as well as Mara, Luke, and Ben), I’d say it still applies! Written for the 2023 Kessel Run challenge, each chapter explores one or more of the characters from Gabri’s Renewal!verse (particularly the generation of kids born to Mara and her siblings, Nico and Corissa) and fleshes them out beautifully.

5. A fic starring a non-human character@earlybird-obi-wan's The Life of Shrr-Kirr in 31 snippets tells the story of her OC Shh-Kirr, a Barkanian lizard and Jedi Knight, as he grows up and makes friends and has adventures over the centuries. The use of the 31 Angstober prompts to show various snapshots of Shh-Kirr's life allows for a wide array of time periods and familiar characters to show up throughout.

6. A challenge winner – For this category, I chose @Gabri_Jade's And They Danced, which was a winner of the Something Borrowed, Something New Mod!Challenge last year. If you’d asked me years ago if I thought Gabri would write an OC/OC romance centered around the ballet-dancing younger sister of Mara Jade, I would have said absolutely no way – but life is full of surprises, and this story is a most welcome one. It’s the sort of wholesome, witty, slice-of-life romance that Gabri excels at, and it’s entirely believable as a story set in the GFFA. Go give it a try; you won’t regret it!

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else@Gabri_Jade recommended that I read Rocks and Hard Places by @Thumper09 (twice, actually), and I’m very glad she did! It’s such a unique and even heartfelt story that I enjoyed immensely; the main protagonist, Nnnzzz is incredibly endearing, something I never thought I would say about a being who consumes rocks and communicates through vibrations. The worldbuilding in this fic is also excellent, with so many great details about the planet’s environment and weather and inhabitants, but never in a way that overshadows the characters themselves. I highly recommend you give it a try!

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title – Though I don’t go into NSWFF all that often, I was glad to see @devilinthedetails' Endless Echoes of Angst up and running! Not only does she explore a variety of non-SW fandoms, but she tackles a wide range of situations as well. So far I’ve reviewed her first story in the collection, which deals with the death of an aging parent and the end of a king’s reign in a very poignant way.

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided – Obviously “intimidating” is meant as a compliment in this context, and that’s exactly how I felt about Interregnum by @Bel505 & @SnubJockey. Would you believe I spent three years avoiding this fic? Seems silly in retrospect, but I’m so glad I finally dove in. This story is incredibly well-written and ties in seamlessly with the Legends EU while taking things in a believably AU direction, and it features many of the canon/EU characters we know and love. I’ve barely even scratched the surface with this one, though based on everything I’ve seen, I’m sure it’s only going to get better, in this story and its sequels.

10. A fic with only canon characters – Considering its subject matter, @vader_incarnate's We Suffer has no business being as beautiful as it is. Once again, Elli captures Vader’s torturous existence in a gut-wrenching way that few can equal, and I look forward to seeing what she’ll do with the other prompts.

11. A fic by a new author – Though I’ve only read and reviewed the first entry in @DLR001's Kessel Run collection, Distant Whispers, I was nevertheless intrigued by the post-KOTOR setting (and dark side endings for both, at that!), by the characters themselves, and by the nuanced, descriptive writing. I’m very much looking forward to reading more!

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try – I’ve had @Pandora's fics on my to-read list for a long time now, and I was very excited when she signed up for the KR with Lovely Dark and Deep because it gave me a chance to follow one of her threads from the beginning. I’ve only reviewed the first story so far, but I’ve read most of them by now, and Pandora’s poetic descriptive style and the voices she strikes with her characters are truly singular. With loads of dark subtlety and keen, knife-edged insights, this collection is a great introduction to her work and one that I’m definitely glad I tried.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show – I know next to nothing about the show Resistance, and my interest in the ST-era of nu!canon is practically nonexistent… but I have enjoyed @Raissa Baiard's portrayal of Kaz Xiono (I was a few stories into Raissa’s ‘verse before I realized Kaz wasn’t an OC!), and looked forward to seeing him attempt to propose to girlfriend Wren Ordo in With This Ring. Kaz’s adorably wholesome earnestness is on full display here; you just want all the good things for this boy and the girl he loves.

14. A fic with a great first lineThe river, which someone, sometime, had called the Mother Johan’s Run, flowed wide and slow through a tall temperate forest upon Morgan’s Planet… That’s the opening line of @GregMcP's The Fisher Droid, a poignant story about a small, out-of-the-way settlement and a series of unexpected events that take place there, as seen through the eyes of FD-3, the eponymous fisher droid. Imbued with a quiet power, this story brought me to tears with its portrayal of Effdee and his observations of and interactions with the people around him.

15. A fic whose main character is an OC@Chyntuck's The High Clouds of Palsaang tells the story of a young Wookiee cub returning to his homeworld for the first time after the death of his mother. There are many lovely sensory details throughout that set the stage for what is ultimately a quiet exploration of grief and loss.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention@amidalachick always has great titles for her fics, and this one is no exception: Dreaming Through Another Sleepless Night. Despite being a fan of Stranger Things, it’s not a fandom I’ve ever explored, and I enjoyed this glimpse into an AU where things turn out better for everyone. With that said, there’s still angst to be had in this world, and the entire piece had such a soft, bittersweet feeling that I loved.

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday – If you’re looking for a throwback to the days of sweeping OT AU epics, Reclamation by @Gabri_Jade is the story for you. But you won’t find any tired tropes here - Reclamation offers a fresh take on the OT story, one in which Luke and Mara meet and fall in love before the events of the films… and that’s just the beginning!

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022Pull Me Home by @Gabri_Jade is a story I read in 2022 but completely dropped the ball when it came time to review it. I’ve happily corrected that now, and have to recommend this story to any and all fans of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade. It deals with L/M in the early years of their marriage and is perhaps a more realistic take on the situation the EU put them in than canon itself. As always, Gabri’s grasp of these two characters is masterful, and her writing is by turns funny and poignant and painful. I won’t spoil what happens in the story, but I think it’s safe to say that this is one of the more unique AU ideas I’ve seen for this couple, and I hope we’ll see more of it in the future.

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title@Mira_Jade's A Kingdom Where My Love Can Stand is truly a powerhouse collection of stories filled to the brim with lush historical details, blossoming romance, gut-wrenching tragic backstories, and so much gorgeous prose. It focuses on an alternate history romance between Queen Victoria and Lord Melbourne, but that’s only the beginning as Mira explores each of these very human characters in profound and loving detail.

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title – The relationship between The Captain and the Commodore is the focus of a delightful romantic short story set in @Mira_Jade's, ever-expanding Sense and Sensibility ‘verse. It features a spirited main character in Margaret Dashwood (the titular “captain”) and a charming newcomer in Mira’s OC Arthur Jennings (the “commodore”), and I can’t wait to see what twists and turns Mira has in store for us along the way.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title@Mira_Jade's Antigravity is a collection of stories set entirely in her Song!verse AU, and it explores a number of beloved characters, including several members of the extended Skywalker family. As always, Mira’s stories are beautifully crafted and they exist all across the spectrum, from lighter, fluffier fare to the darkness that still lurks in the shadows of this ‘verse. Each one is a delight to read, though I admit I’m always partial to Anakin Skywalker getting to know his grandkids, or the former Darth Maul slowly working his way toward the light. A must read for anyone who has ever wondered what the galaxy would look like if Anakin never turned to the dark side.

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start – In her notes at the beginning of Take Me Home, @Raissa Baiard says this story is a departure in length and tone from what she’d been writing, and as a fan of angsty AU scenarios that put our beloved characters through the wringer, I couldn’t have been more excited. Still in-progress, the story starts out strong with its depiction of an Ezra Bridger like we’ve never seen him, as well as flashbacks to the immediate aftermath of the Rebels finale, with some great back-and-forth between him and Thrawn.

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspectiveCertain Dark Things by @vader_incarnate features several stories told from a villain's perspective, from Sith Lords like Emperor Palpatine and DE-era Luke Skywalker, to an Imperial lieutenant who has the misfortune of reporting bad news to one of the aforementioned Big Bads. By turns horrifying and darkly hilarious, this collection of stories is sure to cast old favorites in a new light and make you think more deeply about the nature of the dark side than you ever expected.

~~

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    This is an excellent idea for a challenge; it's always good to broaden one's reading habits and help support the community. I'm in too :)

6. A challenge winner

5. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, I discovered some interesting reads the last time we did this, so I'll take this challenge. (Plus we've got a year to finish it, so that comes out to two fics a month. Sounds reasonable. :))

I'm curious about the asterisk after the word "favourite" in prompt #1, however.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

1. A fic by one of your favourite authors: Cargo Hauler, by Thumper09. This story follows Rogue One's Bodhi Rook as he works his way from turning a blind eye to the Empire’s activities to becoming someone willing to stand up for a good cause. Provides a plausible development for a background character who finds his courage and makes a difference.

2. A fic with two or more authors: "I've Got a Bad Feeling About This," by Mistress Renata, Ewok Poet, whiskers, Raissa Baiard, brodiew, Anedon, and RX_Sith. As someone who used to run Round Robin stories for a homeschooler group at the library, I know how challenging writing a story piecemeal can be. I enjoyed following the twists and turns of this story, as each author interpreted (and re-interpreted) what had come before. I’m impressed that this story had an actual ending – that’s often the most difficult part to pull off. The Wyrm are very alien (particularly their method of transferring personalities...).

3. A short story/one shot: "Protecting Hope," by earlybird-obi-wan. In the midst of galactic upheaval and grief, an unnamed character (strongly implied to be Obi-Wan Kenobi) reflects on the state of the galaxy, the tasks yet to be done, and the possibilities of the future. Introspection at the crossroads of fate and destiny. In a sense, an act of defiance in the face of great loss.

4. A fic whose chapters have titles: Ten Reasons Why Qui-Gon Jinn is Not on the Jedi Council, by UltramassiveUbersue. Hilarious story of Qui-Gon Jinn’s debut as a character in a series of steamy romance holo-novels and the repercussions it causes for the Jedi Order.

5. A fic starring a non-human character: "Fathoms," by Thumper09.
    A Mon Calamari female experiences generational trauma at a young age, but learns to overcome it in order to reconnect with her daughter and family.

6. A challenge winner: (Not the Ballad of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus, by Raisa Baiard.
    I’m generally not a romance fan, but this piece had plenty of other themes – coming of age, life as a teen, moving out of the comfort zone, redemption, and some cool world-building. I’m certainly on board with Kanan surviving the events of Rebels, and it was interesting to see the three different children of his union with Hera. Creative interplay of genetics, indeed. I like all of the protagonists, but I think my marginal favorite was Maatko, who seems to be channeling Mr. Spock from That Other Franchise. And of course I also love Spots.

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else: The Steadfast Wreckage, by Happy Sando. Mylo Lloyd and Ludo Gum (Human and Gungan, respectively) leave Naboo in search of Ludo's mother, who has been taken by slavers during the Trade Federation's invasion of Naboo. In the meantime, Mylo is dealing with his sudden connection to the Force.

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title: The Dark Forces Saga, by whiskers. Even as a non-gamer, I could follow the events set out in this piece. Kyle Katarn and his associate Jan Ors get themselves in and out of scrapes while tooling around the galaxy.

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided: Less "intimidating" and more "detailed and well-crafted and requiring intense focus on the content."... The Book of Gand, by Findswoman. A most impressive piece of world-building and character development. This story fleshes out a minor background character, and constructs an entire religious system and community, as well as introducing an OC that the author later uses in several other stories. My favorite combination of elements: non-human main characters, a fully-realized spirituality, and an interesting plot line. As the author has stated that she plans to expand and/or finish this story, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

10. A fic with only canon characters: The Way of the Sword, by devilinthedetails. Piandao is one of my favorite characters from Avatar: the Last Airbender, and here he and Zuko interact as Zuko receives lessons in swordplay – and life in general.

11. A fic by a new author: "Last Supper," by T4M1-7. Four bounty hunters celebrate their last job together. A charming short story, but make sure you read it with a snack on hand.... :)

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: Earth-Talker, by ‘Kit. Jedi Padawan Tara struggles with others' reactions to her blindness, until she is chosen for a mission to an alien race who live entirely in underground darkness.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show: Tides of Darkness, by Theodore Hawkwood. A surprising underwater archaeological discovery sets off a race between Imperial warlords to discover its secrets, and reunites a pair of Rebel colleagues.

14. A fic with a great first line: "The Fisher Droid," by GregMcP. A droid witnesses the founding and fall of a colony due to Imperial presence. But the final activity of the Empire is surprisingly altruistic, and after years alone, the droid finally sees the return of the former colony's children and their efforts at rebuilding.

15. A fic whose main character is an OC: "Intruders," by Kit' Really enjoyed this short piece, between the environmental protection theme and meeting a non-human native species. I appreciate the respect the Jedi immediately show the Fosh, asking permission to travel the forest and thanking them for assigning a guide. Even though I'm not familiar with the OCs, there was more than enough character development and background given. Here's hoping Padawan Tara Tarindae succeeds in her new mission with the Senate.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: "Samhain Symphony," by Nehru_Amidala. Anything with a Halloween-related title will catch my attention. OC Minerva tells the tale of a woman with a special affinity for plants, who is eventually trained by “The Master” to use her ability to sow fear and develop poisons. (Sounds downright Sithy.) She eventually murders her master, but is cursed by his ghost – she will wander the world in spirit, forgotten by all. However, Minerva knows there is a way out for this ghost.

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday: "Waves," by Greg McP. A boy on an unnamed planet uses simple Force abilities to commune with fish and other sea creatures and introduces one fish to the world outside the ocean. But when a Jedi appears and wants to take the boy away for training, he must make a difficult choice.

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022: "Lost and Found," by Raisa Baiard. Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus “borrows” his father’s lightsaber, takes it apart to see how it’s designed, and promptly loses half of it when he’s interrupted by Chopper. What follows is a panicked search for a missing piece, aided by his friend Neomi, while trying to avoid detection by his mother, brother, father, and Chopper.

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title. "Kiss My Wookiee." Published back in 2005 by Barefoot_XO, this poem serves as Han Solo’s mocking challenge to Warlord Zsinj (a Expanded Universe/Legends character who rose to power after the destruction of the Death Star over Endor). Solo notes that Zsinj’s ship has been destroyed and his command infiltrated by New Republic operatives. In the face of Zsinj’s bid for power, Solo invites him to “kiss my Wookiee” (there is no indication of what Chewbacca thinks of this, btw). I can’t tell if the poem has been truncated, but there’s certainly enough here to convey Solo’s sentiment.

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title. “Son of Ocean and Snow [Avatar: the Last Airbender],” by devilinthedetails. Pakku of the Northern Water Tribe learns survival skills, waterbending techniques, and the sad fact that life doesn’t always go the way we might wish.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title: "Acquisition Cost," by Thumper09.
    One of the few fanfic pieces I’ve seen starring a Gotal character, this “heist gone wrong” story explores both the Gotals’ experiences with the world (sensing emotions and electrical fields) and the outlier’s feeling of loneliness. Peteck acquires supplies for the Rebellion, sometimes through honest means, sometimes… not. When a Rebel team shows up and asks for an unusual list of supplies (a jet pack? A B1 battle droid? Really?!), Peteck is dragged into an off-the-wall plan and a follow-up rescue mission. And Gotals do tend to stand out….

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start: Song of Fate, by Chyntuck.
    Hosting at least three separate story threads, this is set in a AU where Palpatine was defeated and the Empire never happened. One thread follows Jedi Knight Quinlon Vos on a rescue mission, his attendance at a wedding, and an investigation in Zygerrian space. Another thread follows Jesse and Ayesha, a pair of artists. And a third follows a variety of artists and art-related tales.

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective: FACPOV: A New Hope – Emperor Palpatine during the Battle of Yavin. An intense and well-written read. The author successfully captures Palpatine's ability to plan years ahead and manipulate everyone around him, playing officers and administrators against one another while he hovers in the background and pursues a separate agenda.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  6. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yay! Glad to have you onboard @ViariSkywalker, @Gabri_Jade and @Seldes_Katne :D

That's because I took out "favourite fic" and so deleted the apostrophe without realising I still had favourite author. I've added the explanation back in. Thanks for the catch :D

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I’m definitely in! So glad to see this challenge back in action—thanks so much, @Kit' ! :D

Just by way of confirmation: these can be fics from any year, not just recently written ones—right?

1. A fic by your favourite* author—Well, you all probably know by now that this is not the easiest category for me, as I have many favorites here at JCF Fanfic! But this time I’d like to give this slot to Once a Pirate, by my good friend @Raissa Baiard—her first fic of this year, and a rollicking fun adventure starring the one and only Hondo Ohnaka and a certain young green-haired, green-eared holdson of his!

2. A fic with two or more authors—Old Friends by @Mira Grau and @Adalia-Durron, in which Ilona Malek, Alec Fenton, and Adalia Tehanis Durron reunite and catch up at an opening gala for an orphanage, then band together to fight back when danger strikes at the party. I always enjoy these two's collaborations and characters!

3. A short story/one shot—A Year in Birthdays, by my excellent mod colleague @devilinthedetails . A beautiful exploration of the relationships between Shmi, Cliegg, and Owen in the first year after Shmi and Cliegg marry that cause me to alternately choke up and go “d’awwww”—and features mouthwatering food descriptions from start to finish!

4. A fic whose chapters have titles—Beneath the Gods of the Bright Sky by @ViariSkywalker. As the long-awaited origin story of the darker of Vi’s Chaos Twins, Veeran Starskip / Darth Ferrus, this is the counterpart to her Lands of the Dead. Both tell of the torture of the young Starskip brothers at the hands of a Mengele-like Sith doctor, but Veeran responds to it very differently than does Dorian: where the latter withdrew into himself, the former lashes out. It makes for a very different species of angst from what we see in The Lands of the Dead, and it’s a tribute to Vi’s versatility and angst expertise that she can write both kinds so skillfully! The most recent chapter was titled “Jedi Brat,” which is not only one of the many insults the torturers hurl at the twins but also—and even more painfully—something Veeran calls himself in his own subconscious self-doubts. Another dark gem from Vi!

5. A fic starring a non-human character—Such a Winter’s Day, by my good friend @Kahara. The first installment in her Kessel Run Series Zoochberry Cobbler, it not only stars a Sarkan protagonist but also features in a member of her own fanon species, the diminutive avian Elellumiwi!

6. A challenge winner—A Sick One with a Smile by @ViariSkywalker , winner of the OC Revolution's Fall–Winter 2022 Challenge, on the theme of "When a door closes..." Vi did an absolutely amazing job writing from the sick, twisted viewpoint of a serial killer who gets his much-deserved comeuppance at the hands of none other than a certain "Sith runt" we all know and love: one Mr. D. Starskip, alias Darth Festus.

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else—I have two to put forth in this category: the hilarious Qui-Gon comedy-romance series Ten Reasons Why Qui-Gon Jinn Is Not on the Jedi Council by @UltramassiveUbersue , recommended by @Kahara ; and @Thumper09 's awesome athletically themed OC-based collection Color Commentary, recommended by @Raissa Baiard . Both were written for the 2023 Summer Fanfic Olympics, and although they couldn't be more different from each other in style, content, mood, and premise, both were eminently engaging, entertaining reads that showcase their respective writers' talents to the full. Great job by writers and recommenders alike! :cool:

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title—Red Roosters Are Dangerous by @earlybird-obi-wan, in which a mischievous and accident-prone young Obi-Wan has a run-in with a scary red rooster and then with a caring healer.

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided—Once again, the issue here is not so much that this story is INTIMIDATING per se and that I’ve AVOIDED it, but more that I’ve put off reading it for a while because it is long and takes a lot of concentration to take in all the details. But now I’ve caught up! It’s @divapilot ’s stunning Breha Organa diary from this year, Palace, Forest, Stars, set during the events of Kenobi, where we see from the lively viewpoint of a Queen who’s also a Mom the tribulations of Leia’s kidnapping and the joy (and wistfulness) of her return. A real tour de force by one of this sites true grandes dames. (And possibly one of the last she’ll share here, :_| so I especially wanted to give it its due!)

10. A fic with only canon characters—Memory and Smoking Ash by @devilinthedetails, in which ST-era Luke, mourning the destruction of his academy on Ossus, receives a comforting visit from the Force ghost of Obi-Wan. Luke and Obi-Wan are the only two speaking characters, and the only other character mentioned by name is Ben Solo.

11. A fic by a new^ author—Friends by @DLR001, who just joined this month (February 2023). A poignant and thought-provoking vignette from the viewpoint of what looks like a very young Jolee Bindo!

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try—Mourning by @vader_incarnate, which has been on my mental list for a while now, though I only just recently got around to reviewing it. A stunning short piece that manages to combine top-drawer angst, razor-keen Anakin/Vader characterization (from a true grande dame in that area), and yes, even linguistic nerdery! :D

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show—Overture of Reconciliation by @devilinthedetails . It's from the High Republic era, which I still unfortunately know nothing about, but the characters’ feelings and motivations were clear from start to finish, and it taught some important truths about balancing compassion and firmness when teaching.

14. A fic with a great first line—The Kammris Falcon—Jedi Noir by @Kit' . Its first line is "The moment she walked into The Drunken Nerf I knew she was trouble," which manages at once to establish both SW and noir vibes from the very beginning, both of which continue flawlessly throughout this very riveting detective story in true Kit' fashion. We not only get to know more of the backstory of one of Kit's many wonderful established OCs, Tara Tarindae, but we also meet an intriguing new OC, Felacatian private eye Nyx Senka, and the interactions between those two characters show us two very different worlds colliding.

15. A fic whose main character is an OC—Victory by @Vek Talis, the first story in his Kessel Run thread of the same name. It stars his own Jedi character, the gruff but lovable Vek Talis, an OC I haven't seen in a long time... a long time! Vek unfortunately is witness to a sad event in this vignette, but he perseveres, and that is one of his talents.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention—my last comment on this one was a few months ago now, but this category without a doubt goes to @vader_incarnate 's excellent Vader-centered series Certain Dark Things, whose title comes from a line from Pablo Neruda's Sonnet XVII: "I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, / in secret, between the shadow and the soul." As always, Ms. Elli is spot-on in her Vader/Anakin characterization at every turn, the angst cuts deep, and she's got some really keen and thought-provoking interpretations of the prompts. Her chosen title for this series is a perfect fit not only for Anakin and his brand of love, but also for her own love of the character. :vader:

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday—Token of Gratitude by @Starith, in which a young Anakin is overcome with feelings and memories while crafting a small gift of gratitude for his master. This story was posted on October 17, 2022, a day before my birthday.

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022—The Tale of Canderous Ordo and How It Is Past Wren's Bedtime by my good friend @Kahara. I really and truly thought I had commented on this last year, but I hadn’t—d’oh! [face_blush] It was written as a holiday fic-gift for @Raissa Baiard using some of Raissa's OC Wren/Ordo descendants, and in fact Wren Ordo (daughter of Sabine Wren Ordo) is the main character. A keen limmie player, she is laid up with a broken leg after a game-related injury (an honorable one, I might add!), and her dad, Raissa’s OC Maximus Ordo, tells her a bedtime story. Kahara did a great job on so many counts: humor and repartee, Mando language and lore, working with someone else’s OCs, the list goes on. Definitely a #CrushedThatChallenge!

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title—Gifts of Love by @Hopefulwriter , in which Leia, after Han’s death, reminisces and mourns over various gifts he gave her during his life, at various stages of their relationship.

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title—Pan and Teilo by @Briannakin. Well, technically that’s the title of the whole series of stories (the one I most recently reviewed was Fete Week Prince), but it is a title that sums up the focus of the whole series: the relationship between the Prince of Alderaan and his lovably fish-out-of-water courtier, both cool OCs created by Bri.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title—We Make Our Own Luck by @ViariSkywalker , in which a dorky, happy-go-lucky slicer receives the “I’m here to rescue you” from the one and only Tahiri Veila. Note that the title not only has five syllables but also exactly that many words!

22. A fic with an "author's note" at the start—I have two for this category, both recent OTP challenge entries: The Fair and the First Flame by @devilinthedetails, and The Dead Lovers of Myrkr by @Mira Grau. Mira G's note situates her story in the context of others that she's written about these two characters, two participants in the Myrkr mission from the Legends continuity, and devil's note introduces one of her story's main characters—Aika, first wife of Cliegg Lars—describing how she, devil, imagines the personality of this little-known, little-described character from both Legends and NuCanon continuities. Both stories blended of warmth, wistfulness, and joy in ways well-suited to the "old flames" theme of the challenge for which they were written.

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective—Certainty by @vader_incarnate , for its absolutely bone-chilling viewpoint of Palpatine about to turn none other than Luke to the dark side.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm SO EXCITED to see this challenge back, and OF COURSE I'm in! Thank you so much for hosting this again, @Kit'! [:D]

1. A fic by your favourite* author: Since favorite author is such a tricky thing to narrow down, I'm going to fill this criterion with two stories (because I couldn't pick just one ;)) by two of my favorite authors who just started writing again after a long hiatus! First, Palace, Forest, Stars: The Journal of Queen Breha by @divapilot is an already a gorgeous, intimate look at Breha's thoughts through the events of Kenobi. As always, divapilot's prose is absolutely stunning, as is her worldbuilding with the tradition of Alderaan's queens keeping journals to give to their daughters to help them through their own reign. It just . . . fits, and I know that someday - or at least I hope - this will be a gift that Leia will cherish. Then, Intermezzi II by @Chyntuck is a return to her epic, boards classic Ἀνάγκη-verse! Even with just the first post, I'm already drawn into her rich cast of characters - both established and original - and the fully fledged world she has built around them. I already know that the rest of her Kessel Run isn't to be missed, and I can't wait to see what she has to share in the weeks to come!

2. A fic with two or more authors: What could be more mahvelous than a collaboration between @Chyntuck and @Findswoman? Well, a fic starring both Bonvika and Eliskandro the Hutt as a besotted pair of canoodle-newts in Dinner at the Hungry Hutt, that's what! Dinner, fashion, and fanon? Check, check, and check, to a truly fabulous degree!

3. A short story/one shot: I am going to be a bit extra and include three one shots by authors who have quite perfected the vignette form. [LotR] My Heart is Whole Again by @WarmNyota_Sweet Ayesha is as short and sweet as they come, but it's short and sweet in the sublime. (And it just so happens to cover one of my Tolkien OTPs, and brought back all sorts of happy memories for me, which is always a plus.) [Yellowstone] Grey: A Poem of Spencer Dutton by @brodiew, is written in poetry format, and packs such a punch with just a few words. Then, I am a what? by @earlybird-obi-wan is an excellent response to what I thought was a tricky quote on the Tudor Quote Roulette.

4. A fic whose chapters have titles: I too am going to choose a ficlet collection for this category! @amidalachick's [Stranger Things] A House on a Quiet Street, A Home for the Brave is another touching look at the characters of Stranger Things in a slight (just right) post-S3 AU. Though this is an Angstober ficlet collection, and angst is definitely the name of the game, this is mostly a soft angst that promises happiness and healing, even as the characters go through the ups and downs (and upside-downs) of their lives.

5. A fic starring a non-human character: In the Shade of the Wroshyr - Tales From the People of the Trees by @Chyntuck not only encompasses a non-human character, but explores the belief system and mythology of the Wookiee people as a whole. This is a sweeping and epic collection of stories, while at the heart being so incredibly intimate and human. After all, we're all storytellers in the end, and the weight of tradition in this series is just as poignant as the truly top-notch world-building. (I also have to give a special shoutout to Color Commentary: 1500 Word Dash by @Thumper09, for writing from the POV of a Cracian thumper named Hyperjump, and her Toydarian jockey! This is an incredibly unique story, and easily one of my favorite fics that I've read this year.)

6. A challenge winner: For this category, I am going to do something a little different and pick my favorites from this year's Kessel Run challenge. I'm limiting myself to six, but please know that there were so many gems from this year's Run to choose from! This was so hard to narrow down. All of these are self-explainable in their awesomeness.
    7. A fic recommended to you by someone else: [Penguins of Madagascar] No Remedy for Memory by @pronker. A line in pronker's signature, expressing her pride in this particular story, recommended this fic to me - and I'm so glad it did! I already knew pronker for her stellar team-as-family vibes and a knack for writing military-esque missions with all of the applicable commando-jargon in this fandom, along with her quintessentially A+ talent for dialogue. This story had all that and more as it tackled a darker mission-gone-wrong early on on Skipper's fledgling (hee :p) career. If you read one NSW story by pronker, let it be this one!

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title: There's not a category for "fic that made me key smash and wish that the like button was instead a 'pterodactyl screech of delight' button", so this will have to do. @ViariSkywalker's All These Broken Pieces is the long-awaited sequel to Enter the Foreign. This story is primarily a look at the twisty (and oftentimes twisted) relationship between Allana Djo and Darth Festus; but, even more so than that, it's an incredibly nuanced exploration of the human condition as these two characters both deal with (though I use that word very loosely) the trauma that's been inflicted on them (and have inflicted on others, in Festus' case) over the years. It's a messy and uncomfortable read at times, but in the best of ways; it's so full of heart, and with so many pretty words! This story is brimming with a plethora of gorgeous pose, thematic scenery, blistering dialogue, and truly top notch action scenes - and did I mention the utterly delicious enemies to lovers vibes? There's that, too, and I can't wait to see where Vi ultimately takes us with these characters!

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided: The Book of Gand by @Findswoman is as epic as they come, and I hate to call it intimidating, because it's ultimately not - it's actually a very easy story to get swept up by and drawn into. It's a trick, I feel, for any author who writes fci-fi/fantasy to tell a story that balances between world-building and a character-driven story, and Finds always walks that line with aplomb. This story richly expands what we already know about the Gand into a fully realized culture, belief system, and Force tradition - but it's still, at its heart, a story about one Gand's journey (two Gands' journey) as they take their place not only within that tradition and the legends of their people, but with each other. I finished part one, and am now eagerly gobbling up part two - and recommend that you do the same!

10. A fic with only canon characters: For this, I have to pick @devilinthedetails' [Avatar: The Last Airbender] The Legend of the Pelican Mothers, not only because it focuses on the canon character of Katara (and her mother and grandmother, too), but because it examines what makes Katara Katara at the heart in canon. Here, following her mother's death, she is processing her very fresh, very raw grief, and you can feel her pain and anger and resentment as she goes about the "women's work" of the tribe in her mother's stead. This young girl craves justice and is ready to fight - and you can see echoes of the stalwart defender (quite like the pelicans of legend, just the same as her mother) and passionate warrior that she'll soon grow to become.

11. A fic by a new^ author: @DLR001 is a new author who made a splash with their KotoR stories at the beginning of this year, and Echoes of the Old Republic is easily one of my favorite stories that I've read in this era, period. Emotionally intense, and packed with stellar scenery and interesting and varied OCs, this is the story of another cast of unlikely heroes as they rise up to fight back the darkness once more.

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: The Mists of Mehr by @Chyntuck is a tab I opened on my phone to read back in 2017, when I first returned to SW fan fiction after a long NSWFF hiatus. I was intrigued by the concept then, but never got around to actually reading it - which was entirely remiss on my part! Now, all these years later, not only did I finally leave a review, but Chyntuck succeeded in finishing a long-standing WIP of old - which is quite the feat for any author! This is a great bit of horror and mystery, and I was sucked in by the ambiance as much as the plot itself until the very last word.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show: With This Ring by @Raissa Baiard includes the Resistance character of Kazuda Xiono, whom I only know through Raissa's work - and that's all I need to know! Kaz and Wren are one of my favorite boards-unique couple, and this endearing (humorous and romantic in such a quintessential Wraz way) story tells of a milestone in their relationship that's incredibly enjoyable from start to finish.

14. A fic with a great first line: "It's a comfort, at first," is the first line of @Gabri_Jade's The Walls We Hide Behind, and the low-level creeping horror only continued to creep and become decidedly high-level horror from there. I don't even have the words to express what an amazing work of art this story is. If you haven't read it yet, stop what you are doing and go read it now.

15. A fic whose main character is an OC: The great thing about @Kit's Shadows in the Weave is that this is an ensemble cast of OCs! With this story, Kit returns us to the world of her Family of Scoundrels, as Zallie (my ever fave of this cast) and her siblings embark on a typical Indiana Jones style type mission, and, as can be expected with such missions, everything soon goes awry. I won't spoil how and why, but I will say that Kit' gives us some awesome looks at how the Force does - and doesn't - work before the tale is over.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan by @devilinthedetails caught my eye for its title years ago, and it still does now! This is another longstanding WIP that was completed this year, and tells the tale of the tumultuous twists and turns of Bant's time as a padawan learner in a truly sympathetic style, as promised in the title.

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday: Kittytalk by @Findswoman is a bit of fluffy fluff (involving a fluffy loth-cat) set in Finds and Raissa's Lasan Series! Every word of this story, detailing a very unique morning between boy (and budding beast-warden) and cat, was so sweet, and very, very enjoyable.

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022: Enter the Foreign by @ViariSkywalker isn't a fic I meant to read in 2022, so much as review. Yes, it rather shamefully took me until 2023 to review the final chapter, but what a final chapter it was! This is a story that took me through every emotion, and was ultimately a tale about light versus dark and the ultimate triumph of that light, both internally and externally, in true Star Wars fashion. This is quite possibly one of my favorite works of fan fic ever, and I expound much more eloquently upon that in my review - but I'll not spoil anything more here!

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title: The Word for Kiss is "Mureyca" by @Raissa Baiard. First-kiss fics don't get any better than this! Here, Kaz puts his newfound Mando'a vocabulary to good use, and then Wren helps him expand it even further. Heartwarming and sweet, with Raissa's hallmark dialogue and knack for writing introspective prose and engaging characters, this is another gem to add to her already glittering Wraz crown!

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title: Guardian by @ViariSkywalker may not state a relationship, exactly, in the title - except that it so incredibly states a relationship in the title. This story is, in every way, a look at the bond between Ben Skywalker and Allana Djo, and how seriously he takes his role of guardian - and oh boy, does he. But again, I won't spoil anything more than that! You just need to go and read it for yourself if you haven't already.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title: On a Sea of Sand by @JediMaster_Jen is a beautiful look at the relationship between the Luke and Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru - which is a relationship that I feel we could see more of in fan fiction, for just how pivotal and important it was to turn Luke into the character we know and love. Jen covers a great many moods and scenes in this collection, and I enjoyed every single one!

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start: Song of Fate by @Chyntuck has an author's note that's near and dear to my heart, as she did the ultimate honor of combining an AU of her Ἀνάγκη!verse with my own Song!verse AU! This is a truly transformative look at a much loved cast in another time and place, and I have to give a special shout-out to the bond she explored between Ayesha and Jesse, along with an assortment of various other GFFA artists - which is such a cool and niche subject to see explored in the first place! Seriously: I cannot recommend this collection highly enough!

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective: Beneath the Gods of the Bright Sky by @ViariSkywalker is not only written from a villain's perspective, but tells the story of how one particular villain was made. In this story, a kidnapped Jedi child is forged by the Sith from Veeran Starskip into Darth Ferrus, and, well . . . anything more than that, you'll have to read from there. This is an incredibly intimate and powerful character study, and I remain on tenterhooks for more!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  9. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I need a kickstart in this area, so I'll give this challenge a try. :) Looks like fun!

----------------------------------------------

Final by Xaara
    This vignette from 2003 explores Han's thoughts after Leia dies. Han's voice and feelings are captured very well in a small amount of words.

I've Got a Bad Feeling About This... by Mistress_Renata, Ewok Poet, whiskers, Raissa Baiard, brodiew, Anedon, and RX_SITH.
    A round robin that started with some Rebels and Imperials on a planet and ended up going in all sorts of unexpected but very entertaining directions.

The Talk by UltramassiveUbersue
    A sweet and funny story with Luke and his son Ben, and some things they learn about each other during a camping trip.

Refugee by PlanetSmasher
    A fascinating look at refugees from a destroyed world and how they learn to live in a different society under the Sith Empire in TOR.

Long Gone by Kahara
    Yoda encounters Padme's Force ghost during his exile in Dagobah, and she has some well-reasoned opinions about his plans for her children and the Jedi.

6. A challenge winner
    The Mists of Mehr by Chyntuck
    A super creepy story from the Fanon Horror Challenge about a group of Imperials performing a last mission before withdrawing and the situation they find themselves in.

And Emergencies by earlybird-obi-wan
    From DDC 2021 about a firefighter with a unique history and many of the people he helps and works with along the way.

Greater Than the Sum of his Parts by divapilot (recommended by Chyntuck)
    An intriguing story about what makes Ghent tick and how he relates to the world, himself, and other people.

Die Alone, Live Together by TheProphetOfSullust
    A fascinating look at the last part of TROS and what would have happened if things had played out a bit differently, namely Ben surrendering to the Resistance and not going alone to Exegol.

Interregnum by Bel505
    "Intimidating" only in terms of its length and the time I expected to need to read through it. Even though I love sinking my teeth into an in-depth story, I hadn't done it yet for this one because of my own time management issues. But now I have, and I'm very glad I did, because this felt like the most natural continuation of the Legends EU after TTT.

Drabble Scum by brodiew
    Excellent drabbles exploring some of the characters from Andor.

Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Steadfast Wreckage by Happy Sando
    This story follows a Naboo starfighter pilot dealing with some unusual developments and a Gungan looking for a family member in the immediate aftermath of TPM, and is a fascinating look at Naboo culture.

The Mythologist by Seldes_Katne
    Ever since I first read a story with OC Vestri Dain, I'd had "The Mythologist" on my "gotta read" list. This is a collection of stories and myths that Vestri has collected from non-human cultures during her studies. The variety of tales and cultures is wonderful, and they really feel like myths passed down from generation to generation in the GFFA.

Family Commitment by SabyneAmberle
    I know very little about the SW: TOR video game, which is the basis for this fic. This is a heartwarming story about two of the characters, their developing relationship, and what they mean to each other.

A Little Help, Here? by vader_incarnate
    The first line(s) was Classic Han™ that did a great job setting up a very humorous story with Luke and Force Ghost Anakin.

Sai-perimetry at Gleebaloola’s, You Bet! by Findswoman
    An OC Squib antiques dealer and an OC Kiffar insurance agent, two business neighbors on Coruscant, help each other in some creative and fun ways.

An Exercise in Precise Terminology by rktho
    It did, and it kept my attention throughout. :p An enjoyable story about Jabba that's exactly what the title states.

Twin Suns at the Door of Night by Cynda
    In this AU set before ROTJ, Luke is grappling with what it means for him that Vader is his father, while Vader discovers a medical record showing that Anakin also had a daughter. Excellent characterization as Luke's, Leia's, and Vader's thoughts and development are explored.

A World of Strange Wonders by devilinthedetails
    I'd intended to read this when I read Padawan last year and then saw this story posted about a character I liked from that book. This is a very poignant look at a Jedi Wayseeker and her connection to the Force and the Force's will, and how that influences a certain young padawan centuries later.

Gifts of Love by Hopefulwriter
    A very touching story about gifts that Han had given Leia during their time together, and we see what they mean to Leia in the time after Han's death.

Pan and Teilo by Briannakin
    This collection of short stories explores the developing relationship between Pan and Teilo on Alderaan, set amid the backdrop of the Alderaanian royal family, to which Pan belongs.

What They Grow Beyond by Kadar Ordo
    An intriguing story that explores the different relationships between teachers and students in the Jedi Order in the timeframe of the Jedi Apprentice series.

A Slight Difference in Leverage by Mechalich
    This was a very fascinating look at the power dynamics in the underworld of Coruscant and what happens when there's a change in leadership of a major organization, like in Crimson Dawn after the events of Solo.

FACPOV: A New Hope - Emperor Palpatine during the Battle of Yavin by JABoomer
    An interesting exploration of Palpatine's thoughts and actions during ANH and specifically the Battle of Yavin while he's back on Coruscant. We get a glimpse into his plans and manipulations for things that have already come and things he wants to do.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, I am so excited for this! One of my goals this year is to read and review more fanfics by other authors and this challenge seems like a great way for me to accomplish that! So, needless to say, I am going to be joining in the fun:D

6. A challenge winner

11. A fic by a new^ author: The Talk by @UltramassiveUbersue is a wonderfully humorous and heartwarming fic featuring Luke and his sassy teenage son Ben with bonus appearances from Han and Leia to add even more to the enjoyment factor.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yep! The fics can be from any year :D I'll update the 'rules' to reflect that :D

12. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Ooh, how exciting! I'm in. :D

Token of Gratitude by @Starith
    A bittersweet vignette about young Anakin Skywalker crafting a gift for Obi-Wan.

The Book of Gand by @Findswoman
    An enchanting epic about the adventures of a young Gand-- an insectoid people-- and how he becomes a Findsman, a sort of hunter-shaman very reminiscent of the Jedi. I was immediately drawn in by the fascinating culture, and the protagonist is just such a likeable kid.

6. A challenge winner

Renewal by @Gabri_Jade (recommended to me by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha)
    A fantastic multi-chapter drama about Mara Jade meeting her birth family for the first time since Palpatine abducted her as a child. Essential reading for Mara Jade fans!

A Profusion of Palpatines by @Bel505
    Somehow, Palpatines returns. I was laughing the whole way through this delightfully insane adventure.

This IS the Way: Mando With Cats and Things Happen by @gizkaspice
    I've kept forgetting that gizkaspice writes fics featuring a Mandalorian with a cat living inside his helmet, and I'm glad I remembered today. This universe is delightfully bonkers!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  13. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    [face_dancing]

6. A challenge winner

21. A fic with a five-syllable title - "There is Nothing Lost" by @ViariSkywalker

Utterly in awe with how well Viari was able to translate her Enter!verse LotF AU into a Regency setting. There's so many details that she obviously put so much care and thought and research into (the aside where the anatomist comments on veins carrying blood towards the heart immediately comes to mind), along with being gorgeously planned, plotted, and written. Characterizations of ECs and OCs are meticulously maintained and showcased eloquently, concisely, and beautifully throughout. The prose is sublime. And she wrote an acrostic sonnet. [face_hypnotized]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    This is a brilliant idea for a challenge @Kit' ! I'm on board for this and may even start this weekend.

1. A fic by your favourite* author: The General's Wife by @divapilot – Judging by the comments, everyone and their mother have already read this story and I'm just late to the party, but if you haven't read it yet, get to it. It features a Solo family OC and General Hux, and it manages to be infuriating in one sentence, heartbreaking in the next and mushy-melty-gooey in the following one, and sometimes all of that at once. Fair warning though, if you read this, you'll also want to read the spin-offs, as well as an entire set of stories with the same OCs set in a different timeline. At any rate, it's stupendous work.

2. A fic with two or more authors: From Slavery to Aristocracy by @Mira Grau and @Adalia-Durron. This short story was written for the 'Country Mouse, City Mouse' OTP challenge and to say that the authors went for a high-stakes interpretation of the prompt is something of an understatement. It features two OCs brought over from the RPG forum, namely Marie Firestone, an unconventional Dathomiri witch, and Adrian Malek, a progressive Eriaduan nobleman, and their adventures as their budding romance brings them to each other's homeworlds. The combination of character development, well thought-out intrigue and detailed worldbuilding make for a captivating read.

3. A short story/one shot: All I Remember Are The Dreams In The Mist by @amidalachick – Having managed to remain unspoiled about Stranger Things so far (which is no mean feat in this day and age) I rarely get to read amidalachick's work, since that's her preferred fandom. I was therefore really happy to find this story while browsing the SWFF boards this morning. This is a very short, but extremely powerful and poignant ficlet featuring Leia, that achieves what good short stories endeavour to do: to say much with the fewest possible words. And it is extremely successful at that: reading it takes a few minutes, processing it though... it will stay with me for a long time.

4. A fic whose chapters have titles: The Book of Boba's Cat Part 2: Peculiar Tails by @gizkaspice – In which Boba Fett runs an ice cream parlour whose star product is the Mangolorian sorbet, Mando sells a bunch of cat stickers to little Armitage Hux and Luke carries around a Mara doll. I'm barely scratching the surface of the insanity here, so you'll have to read it to understand how crazy this story really is.

5. A fic starring a non-human character: Sure Looks Strange to Me by @Findswoman – In which a monster with a ridiculous name calls Zeb "my dear chap" and discusses bass quetarra while drinking ales. Yup, you read that right!

6. A challenge winner: Two Were One by @devilinthedetails – I loved the Dwarves in general and Durin and Disa in particular in The Rings of Power, and as I read this fic I felt that devilinthedetails went into my head, pulled out all the elements of the show I wanted to see more of and made them into a story. The characterisation is top-notch and the writing is beautiful. Head-canon accepted!

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else: Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories by @Kahara – This UDC IX entry was recommended to me by Findswoman (among a bunch of other stories) and I finally got around to reading it now that Kahara announced that she'd be writing in this 'verse for the Olympics. And it's vintage Kahara: one drabble is hilarious, another is deeply moving, the next one is all melty-feel-goody, and more generally it covers an amazing range of styles, genres and emotions with amazing worldbuilding and aliens, aliens everywhere! Highly recommended :)

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title: Going Within, Going Without by @Thumper09 – This is a spectacular fic featuring two young Revwiens (i.e. sentient plant aliens) and their travails as they find their place in their community. Thumper's rich and detailed worldbuilding made them feel so alien and yet so real that I became genuinely invested in their fate and wanted to give them a hug (or a bit of water and fertiliser!) It's both a masterclass in writing non-Humans and a deeply moving tale of friendship and growth. I heartily recommend it to everyone.

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided: Interregnum by @Bel505 – When bel505 started posting this, I knew from the title bar alone that it was right up my alley (post-TLC, action/drama, Luke, Mara, Wedge). Lo, when I finally got around to reading it a few months later, it was already a behemoth and I just couldn't commit the time. Well, now that I can and that I've read it, I confirm that it's the behemothest of behemoths, and it has everything: space battles, lightsaber duels, political intrigue, underworld machinations, a cast of thousands of your favourite Legends characters and, of course, romance. Don't let yourself be intimidated by the sheer size of it; just dive in. And for a bonus, you get a few spin-offs and a sequel that are already posted!

10. A fic with only canon characters: The Cat, the Kylo and the Wardrobe by @gizkaspice – Or, how Kylo Ren got to meet his Legends family. This is another little piece of gizkaspice's cat madness, featuring everyone's favourite shirtless man-child, his male... female... male... female..., oh, never mind that, his cat Blackie, the Sky/Solo Legends cast and more (including, but not limited to, Merry and Pippin from LOTR and Spock from Star Trek). OK, technically Blackie is an OC, but s/he doesn't get any speaking lines in this story, so it still counts as a canon-character-only fic!

11. A fic by a new author: Echoes of the Old Republic by @DLR001 – DLR001 is as new to the boards as it gets (they signed up literally less than a week ago) and this story is quite the opening salvo in fanfic. It's beautifully written and edited and features for now some very intriguing OCs in the post-war period of the KotOR era. I say "for now" because we're still on the first chapter of the first story as of the moment I type this, and I'm certainly hoping DLR001 will give us more!

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: Knightfall I: Sins of the Father by @JediMaster_Jen – I've had this on my reading list forever, and I finally got around to reading it. This is a rich, complex AU story that completely transforms the post-OT events and characters. So far it's all about people lying to and hiding things from each other, and I challenge anyone to not be curious about what happens next.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show: Beginnings and Learning to Fly by @Vek Talis (I'm listing these two as a single entity since the former is really just the prologue for the latter) – I know very little about the TOR/KotOR era because I don't play video games, but Vek's Kessel Run thread made me want to know more about his protagonist. And here we get to find out everything we want to know about the Master of Snark, including how he came to the GFFA (because he's not from around here), why he's such an unconventional Jedi, and why his favourite word appears to be "stellar".

14. A fic with a great first line: I Ship It! by @Raissa Baiard – Or, how "the Force was bored" (which is the first line) and created AUs. This is actually a fantastic introduction to what Raissa has called elsewhere her "big honkin' multigenerational AU" in addition to being exceedlingly entertaining, occasionally snarky and irreverent, and including some theological considerations you would never expect to find on the boards.

15. A fic whose main character is an OC: The Sad, Sad Story of Porfozald Marballees! by @Findswoman – I have four words for you: chauvinistic Lasat shaman initiate. No, really, that's all I'm going to say, because there's no way I can do justice to this story without writing a PhD dissertation about it. Go and read it. (...) Why are you still here? Seriously, I mean it. Go and read it NOW.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: Skyclawer by @vader_incarnate – The title told me that this would be about the Skywalkers and cats. It is. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday: A Slight Difference in Leverage by @Mechalich – Ven Morne, a middle-aged policeman by day and revolutionary by night, meets with the new head of Crimson Dawn to renegotiate a funding agreement. Let's just say that things don't quite go as you would expect in this setup and leave it at that :cool: A great little read and an intriguing introduction to Mechalich's little corner of the GFFA, of which I firmly intend to read more, and so should you!

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022: To Every Thing There is a Season by @Seldes_Katne – This is a collection of stories written for the 2022 edition of the Kessel Run Challenge, most of which revolve around Seldes_Katne's team of alien scholars. The three words that come to mind to describe it are 'unusual', 'original' and 'creative', with many interesting twists on the prompts, a dazzling variety of alien species, and a sense of humour and self-deprecation that's just the zherry on the cake. Plus, there are a few meta bonus tracks at the end that round it off quite nicely. Make sure you don't miss this thread, there's a truly singular quality to every story and the writing is top-notch.

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title: The Gods Who Love the Sky by @GregMcP – This has to be one of the most unusual stories you can hope to read on the boards. It features a regular Joe archivist who is trying to figure out what his father was up to during the Clone Wars and who is stopped in his effort by a primitive civilisation of small rodents, the latter being the main POV characters. A really unexpected look at what can happen with the wreckage of war!

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title: Allies by @UltramassiveUbersue – I was going to list this story under a different category of the reading challenge, but I think that its rightful place is here. The title implies a relationship between the allies, but that's not the relationship at stake in the story. A beautiful tale of grief and guilt featuring Luke after Mara's death. PSA: keep a box of hankies at hand, you might need it.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title: Enter the Foreign by @ViariSkywalker – This is, simply put, a superlative story. It features Anakin Skywalker time-travelling to the LotJ/FotJ era and working together with his grandson Ben, all elements that normally wouldn't attract me so much to a fic – and yet, I binge-read it in less than a day because it is so captivating and well-written. I heartily recommend it to everyone.

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start: Reclamation by @Gabri_Jade – This is a Legends Rebellion-era AU that promises to be epic, and what is already posted is beautifully written. Gabri states in her opening note that she has 200 pages of it ready to go, and it's still a work-in progress, so... if you like ensemble cast L/M stories, join this reading club, it will keep you busy for the foreseeable future!

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective: "Your Heart Will Catch Its Breath Again" by @Mira_Jade – This is a fic written from the POV of Darth Maul, but, ahem, is he a villain anymore? I dunno, he seems to think so, but the rest of us aren't so sure. Mira did it again with her Song!verse AU where everything gets turned on its head. If you want to read a beautifully written story that makes you think that you have no business caring so much about Maul, this is the one.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  15. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    This is such a great idea for a challenge! :) I think I'll give it a try.

1. A fic by your favourite* author: Four Ways to "I Love You" by @devilinthedetails

2. A fic with two or more authors: Old Friends by @Mira Grau and @Adalia-Durron

3. A short story/one shot: Bright Sadness by @Findswoman

4. A fic whose chapters have titles: [LOTR] Sauron: The Lord of the Cats by @gizkaspice

5. A fic starring a non-human character: [Penguins of Madagascar] Crash and Burn by @pronker

6. A challenge winner: [Multifandom] Endless Echoes of Angst (for the Angstober 2023 Challenge) by @devilinthedetails

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else: Revenge of the syndicate by @earlybird-obi-wan

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title: [Star Trek: Strange New Worlds] The Need to Remember by @brodiew

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided: [Victoria] "A Kingdom Where My Love Can Stand" by @Mira_Jade

10. A fic with only canon characters: Palo's Sketchbook by @Findswoman

11. A fic by a new^ author: What They Grow Beyond by @Kadar Ordo

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: She Didn't Begrudge Them...Not Really by @JediMaster_Jen

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show: Denial Deferred by @brodiew

14. A fic with a great first line: From a Holorecording Found in a Cabin Drawer on the Ghost by @Findswoman

15. A fic whose main character is an OC: Promise by @Gabri_Jade

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: [Sense and Sensibility] "... and Shake the Rising Soul" by @Mira_Jade

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday: Letters Across Hyperspace by @Raissa Baiard

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022: Cargo Hauler by @Thumper09

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title: [Narnia] Music, Beetles, and Love Necklaces by @devilinthedetails

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title: Han Solo's First Meeting With Maz Kanata by @Hopefulwriter

21. A fic with a five-syllable title: On A Moonlight Path by @Hopefulwriter

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start: [Avatar: The Last Airbender] Dances and Disguises by @devilinthedetails

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective: Revenge of Shaurkoo by @earlybird-obi-wan

16. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Yay, I was hoping this challenge would be back sometime and here it is! Count me in. [face_dancing]

(Following my usual rule of favorite = favorite author that I hadn't reviewed in a while, because there are so many and I cannot pick one!)
    The Inspector's Pet Theory by @rktho
    A "day in the life" story of rktho's stubborn antagonist from Stars in Their Multitudes (also recommended, but you don't need it to read this), Inspector Koss. Shown here in all of his blinkered, conspiracist glory as he chases after his vision of an archnemesis and drives his coworkers to distraction in the process. The dry, bleak humor of the piece is really well-delivered and you can just feel the frustration of the memos (you'll see the memos; they're not to be missed [face_laugh]) being sent Koss's way.

Old Friends by @Mira Grau and @Adalia-Durron
    An action and intrigue-packed collaboration between these two authors. :cool: I really like how the characters created by both (Adalia by her namesake and Ilona by Mira) each have a part to play in both the action and the personal/emotional arc of the plot. The scenes of them dealing an attempted assassination/burglary at a charity event are very entertaining with a good old-fashioned Star Warsy feel to them.

Better with Sauce by @Seldes_Katne
    This short but substantial Sequel-era adventure is just plain fun all the way through. Hondo Ohnaka and a fabulous collection of OC's thwart the First Order on Baatu. (For those of us like me who tend to forget some newer canon stuff, that is the planet featured in the Disney Star Wars park thingamajig). And they do it with inimitable style! :cool:

Star Wars: Tides of Darkness by @Theodore Hawkwood does indeed have chapter titles, and an engaging cast of OC and background EC characters to go with them. :D There is something rotten, or maybe eldritch, in the world of Mon Cala and Crix Madine has sent Theodore's OC Ben and his companions to investigate.

The Silence of the Frogs by @Findswoman
    An alien POV story about the granddaughter of the "Frog Woman" from the Mandalorian TV series meeting an unexpected guest at her beloved grandmother's funeral. There are wonderful cultural details, bittersweet character moments, a beautiful setting, and of course the previously mentioned guest; it's just wonderfully done on so many levels. @};-

6. A challenge winner
    The Song of Experience by @Pandora is a wonderfully complex story with a young Naboo woman coming to terms with her society's hypocrisies, the unpredictability of the future, and a developing romance with the "scourge of her political career", Florian (a fantastic OC in his own right). It won an OTP Challenge, and I can see why! @};-

The Fair and the First Flame was recommended to me by @Findswoman and it is a beautiful and heart-tugging tale of first love featuring Cliegg Lars and his first wife Aika. @};- (Thanks for the rec!)

Burden of the Past by @TheProphetOfSullust
    This is a really fun ensemble fic following the end of TROS, where we get to see some of the rebuilding -- and sometimes re-messing-it-up-again-must-we-really -- that comes after the film storyline ended. Features conflict within the former Resistance thanks to Rey's Palpatine-ness being made public, a really lovely Finn/Rose established relationship romance, and lots of Rose Tico saving the day. [face_dancing]

The Lands of the Dead by @ViariSkywalker is an old favorite that I had never gotten to reviewing because it definitely needed some emotional fortitude to tackle. :p This story is intense and it will make you feel horrified and heartbroken for her OC's like never before. Which is really saying something if you've met the Chaos Twins in any of their appearances. The horror aspect of the story is just pitch-perfect, and I really admire how Viari manages to balance it out such that you're never so caught up in the creepiness that you miss the tragedy or vice versa. [face_skull]

Twin Suns at the Door of Night is an inventive and enthralling AU focused on Vader, Luke, Leia, Sabe, and the droids with a surprise appearance by Ochi (the assassin from TROS) and a very fun "have to work together even though we're enemies" plotline. [face_dancing] The story spins off from the comics, but I never read them and wasn't lost at all.

A Certain Point of View from the Distant Whispers Kessel Run thread by @DLR001 is a fantastic re-imagining of ANH where Mara Jade is the central character, and not quite the one that we know, and the history of the galaxy is turned upside down and sideways from the OT.

Allies by @UltramassiveUbersue is a story that I meant to read, several times, and finally did for this challenge. And I'm glad that I did, because it's a wonderful short-and-bittersweet story of Luke struggling to figure out if he should embrace a new relationship after Mara's death. @};- Even though it's a very sad story, there are also some great little touches of humor and fluff that I really enjoyed as well.

Ashaa's Memory by @Mechalich
    This one is well outside my usual eras, though I'm somewhat aware of the SW:TOR game and a few broad outlines. But this particular corner of the time period was a total surprise. The "Ashaa" from the title is an artificial intelligence, a minor canon character who is also known as the Mother Machine and has the capability to genetically engineer life forms. It was really fascinating to get an inside perspective on how she perceives herself, the beings that invented her, and the tension between her programming and her nearly unlimited potential abilities. She can definitely be creepy, but it's an interesting and unpredictable kind of creepy which makes her narration very entertaining. [face_skull]

Once a Pirate by @Raissa Baiard
    A phenomenal first line that sets the whole story into motion -- and it's even more hilarious once you find out the context. [face_laugh] Mostly retired pirate Hondo (who will NOT admit to being retired) and his adoptive nephew (aka Jacen Syndulla, aka the skeptic) are such a fantastic pair and their dialogue is side-splitting. The asides from Hondo (first-person POV) are delightful too.

The Emperors Shadow: Diary of old Sheevs Cousin by @Mira Grau
    This diary tells the story of Max, Palpatine's singular surviving (OC) cousin, starting with the invasion of Naboo. The perspective of this character who is so very connected to Sidious's story and manipulations but knows nothing of that yet, is really suspenseful and tragic. [face_nail_biting] (Also, somewhat spoilery but this character does appear in other stories and it's really cool to see more of his origin story!)

Strict, Unbending Rules for Dealing with Stray Loth-cats by @Raissa Baiard has a marvelous title, and of course this cat-lover had to read further! ;) This story features Sabine post-Rebels canon and the angst is really well-portrayed while her adventures in definitely-not-acquiring-a-loth-cat add the perfect counterpoint. :D

Collage of Memorable Scenes started in my birth month of June and it is a romantic, summery feast of bite-sized stories about Luke/Mara and Han/Leia, with lots of appearances by their growing family. [face_love]

And They Danced by @Gabri_Jade
    If I'm not mistaken, I meant to read this in 2022 and then meant to review it about three times before I finally got to it this December. [face_blush] And it is a spectacular love story seasoned with delightful family fluff with just a pinch of angst. Gabri's version of Mara's family is fantastic as always, and it's a joy to watch her OC Corissa and Julian (also OC) fall head over heels while bickering in true SW fashion. [face_love]

THEIR LAST KISS by @Hopefulwriter
    A sad and beautiful tribute to Han and Leia, that gives them one last moment of tenderness in the TFA movie timeline. I really appreciated the way that Hopefulwriter gave us a look into both of their thoughts in a rare and treasured moment. @};-

So Few Things by @Mira_Jade
    Okay, I picked one with a relationship in the title line and maybe not technically the title itself -- close enough, surely? :p Anyway, this story is another old favorite that I'd neglected to review up until this year. So Few Things is a fantastically shippy tale of Bly and Aayla realizing their feelings for each other on a mission to Kiffu (there's a "fake relationship" that isn't quite, there's literally an "only one bed" scene; it's got all your tropes and more). I knew fairly little about these characters going in, but Mira makes them so vivid and lovable that you'll find yourself cheering them on! [face_love]

Enter the Foreign by @ViariSkywalker
    A riveting time-travel story featuring Anakin Skywalker meeting his grandchildren (the ones that are still around, anyway) in an even-darker, Legacy-inspired version of later Legends canon. This is an epic in every sense of the word -- just a wonderful, angsty, heartfelt story about family, love and loyalty. The OC's and canon characters are all really well-realized and the universe that ViariSkywalker constructs is so real that it will linger with you for a long time. (Also, I love several of the plot twists that I won't tell you because spoilers.)

Given in Love by @DarthIshtar
    Bail and Breha have the chance to visit Leia in her dreams shortly before her wedding. The characterization of all three is just brilliant, and it's a really beautiful conversation and moment. @};-

Palpatine Babyfic Fluff: Unlimited Pow-Wah!
    It's exactly what it says on the label (yes, Palpatine + babyfic + fluff) and just as utterly, delightfully cracky as it sounds. [face_rofl] We see the story from Palpatine's perspective as he adopts a baby, who he names Fluff (what else?), and begins to re-examine some of his priorities.

17. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Sounds like fun. I'm in!

//

3. A short story/one shot - I saw the wolf by the always amazing @Findswoman.

This one shot is part songfic and features a wonderful look at young Ezra Bridger as he takes a late-night look (from his bedroom window) at Lothal wildlife. It is a perfect blend of curiosity, wonderment and the heartwarming innocence of childhood.

6. A challenge winner

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title Foundations of the Force by @Ridley Solo

This is an amazing story which begins the morning following the Battle of Endor and quickly sees Luke off on his journey to discover as much about the Jedi of old as he can while also searching for other Force-sensitives.

It is a wonderful tale of adventure as well as heart-warming moments with the Skywalker-Solo family. Ben Solo features in this story and the author brings the character to life in a way I haven't seen in many other stories. Definitely recommend reading this story. It's a great read.

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided Enter the Foreign by @ViariSkywalker

I have read bits and pieces of this story; enough to know that it is a brilliantly crafted narrative. I usually stay away from time travel fics, but this is so gorgeous in terms of characterization, pacing, imagery and...just everything that I had to dive in. If you are a fan of Anakin Skywalker and Ben Skywalker and so many other, it is a must read.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention Then the Dreadful Night Shall Break by @Blue_Daddys_Girl

To say this is a deep dive into Obi-Wan's broken psyche after his experience with the Zygerrians is an understatement. The author tackles all of the emotions and perceived shortcomings of Obi-Wan as he falls, even briefly, and embraces the darkness as he escapes the clutches of the slavers. This fic features wonderful characterization of both Obi-Wan, Mace and Anakin.

Definitely a must-read for any Obi-Wan Kenobi fan.

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title - Love Is All You Need by @Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Written for the 2021 Fanfic Olympics, these two stories (of a planned triathlon) are the wonderful beginnings of a Mace Windu-centered romance. I was so intrigued by that idea to start with that I had to stop in a read. The first story in only 110 words, but it captures perfectly Mace's calm desperation to make his way off Coruscant right after his fall from Palpatine's office window and the determination of the woman who finds him to assist in that escape.

The second is just a single sentence, but in those few words the entirety of Mace's immediate and future feelings are on display. Just a wonderful beginning to one of the most intriguing ideas I've ever come across in all my years on these boards. I would love to see this idea continued. Masterful job. Oh, and i love the Beatles song-lyrics for the titles as well. :D

21. A fic with a five-syllable title Coruscant Sunset by @devilinthedetails

This little gem is a wonderful snapshot of a serene moment between Anakin and Obi-Wan early in their master/padawan relationship. It brilliantly showcases Anakin's natural curiosity as well as Obi-Wan's often dry wit

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  18. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    *I want to thank my almostnew laptop from ebay for making attempting this even remotely possible. May the harddrive not implode into a black hole this year.*

------------------------------------------------------

3. A short story/one shot Break the Silence (from Lover, Hunter, Friend, and Enemy) by ViariSkywalker. The deepest, darkest hell awaited--and I entered it freely. In which Dorian Starskip was rescued from the Sith--but his twin was not, and he returns years later to try to save his lost dark brother. This isn't going to work out the way you would like. But in the way you dread.

4. A fic whose chapters have titles Because Reasons by UltramassiveUbersue. The titles say it all: "Flirting Hardcore," "What the Hell is Wrong with Luke Skywalker," and "An Embarrassing Waste of Everybody's Time." Basically, Luke really likes Mara. So does Lando. Mara is having difficulties with the notions of feelings. Will they ever get this sorted out?

5. A fic starring a non-human character The Book of Gand (Parts 1-3) / Part the Fourth by Findswoman. The story of Gand: the planet, the species, and two individuals in particular on their journeys in the Sacred Trade of the Findsman: Zuckuss (who appears for I believe two seconds in The Empire Strikes Back) and Telfien. The Gand are an insectoid species--I described them to my father as "insect-people"--with a unique and humble (it would not be Gand like to think of one's self as "unique") culture that makes them alien, whilst still being relatable. Turns out that familial conflict, the father-son variety in particular, is nigh on universal in the far away galaxy.

6. A challenge winner The Taking of the Firstborns by Chyntuck. Winner of the Third Quarter 2023 OC Challenge. It was the darkest of nights on Kiffar, when kin killed kin--when a brave woman tried her best to hold back the chaos, and the leader of the Malki Clan gave the night its name when he and his clan members broke their rivals by taking what meant the most to them. Their children.

Swish, zziing, swish, zziing. Zzziiiing by earlybird-obi-wan. Since Obi-Wan and Anakin are the only two characters present. It's "poetry in motion"--as Obi-Wan and Anakin have a practice duel set to Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" (and I think we all know only the most extra of soundtracks will do for them) with the lightsabers themselves almost as secondary characters. So all right--Anakin and Obi-Wan aren't then the only characters present. But their lightsabers are canon also, so it still counts.

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show "Breakaway" from Gazing at the Distant Lights by Kahara. That would be an understatement: since it's Disney EU, I know virtually nothing--aside from what I picked up in a quick wookieepedia research run--about the High Republic Era. And that knowledge would definitely help here, as I'm sure there are things I still missed. But taking it just as a story, about a specific character, I liked it. Also, there's a space!doggie. With fireheated breath, because this is space.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention Pizza Night by amidalachick. What can I say: I might have a deep and dark poetic soul, but I am also a child of the 1980s with the vintage Strawberry Shortcake dolls to prove it. The title indicates happy family times--because nothing brings people together like pizza!--but in a household run by a petty tyrant, things can go bad, and go bad fast, for the kids living underneath his rule.

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022 Inheritance, by vader_incarnate. Luke is oh so very dark, and--having accepted his father's offer to rule the galaxy--sits upon the throne as Emperor in a crown of bleeding kyber. Mara (who is neither named nor described, but is still instantly identifiable) is his beloved enemy who he just can't kill off. As for Vader, he has regrets he doesn't talk about. "Angst" is not quite the word. And this is all before the author returned this year with an addendum to make it all even worse.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title If This Is a Man by Chyntuck. Five words/five syllables. Once upon a time, a long, long, very long time ago in the far away galaxy, an earnest young Jedi knight is assigned to guard and protect a brilliant-but-terrible scientist from a mysterious crime lord and his even more mysterious enforcer [whose existence and whether or not "he" is a man are both unknowns]. He knows there is much he doesn't know about his assignment, and much the not-that-good doctor isn't telling him. But eventually, the truth will be told...

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start Your Heart Will Catch Its Breath Again by Mira_Jade. Part of the Song!verse [and yes, I was there for its beginnings with "An Old Song Re-Sung" for the majestic Celtic Song Challenge, but it's been a few years since I last returned to review]. In which the man once known as Darth Maul has taken back his birthname, and is stumbling towards some kind of redemption. Not that he would use that word. As he hovers between the dark and the light, he journeys to a Deep Core world with space!bee people with a group of Jedi on the hunt for his former master.

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective The Hunt by Gabri_Jade. Though of course, Nico Jade wouldn't see himself as a villain. Far from it: he is the Emperor's Hand, meting out his justice in the course of maintaining order in the galaxy. If this means he must hunt down his elder sister Mara--who has defected with a TIE pilot I hardly need to identify--and bring her back to face her death--then so be it. She's just another traitor, to be treated as he does all such. But that's not all of it. That is, in fact, just the beginning here...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    So many people joining up this year which is so good! I think I've gotten everyone, but let me know if I've missed you.

20. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I would like to join so I can hopefully get motivated to get more reading done this year.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. A challenge winner

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Should we post when we review stories that apply to this challenge @Kit' ? I figured that would be a good way to keep this thread bumped and give even more exposure to the gems we find on our hunt for good stories this year. I've enjoyed reading the notes other participants have already added to their lists, but they're easy to miss without purposefully checking. If not, please feel free to tell me that this wasn't what you intended for the thread. I'll edit this out and won't do so again. :p

Since favorite author is such a tricky thing to narrow down, I'm going to fill this criterion with two stories (because I couldn't pick just one ;)) by two of my favorite authors who just started writing again after a long hiatus! First, Palace, Forest, Stars: The Journal of Queen Breha, is by @divapilot, and is already a gorgeous, intimate look at Breha's thoughts through the events of Kenobi. As always, divapilot's prose is absolutely gorgeous, as is her worldbuilding with the tradition of Alderaan's queens keeping journals to give to their daughters to help them through their own reign. It just . . . fits, and I know that someday - or at least I hope - this will be a gift that Leia will cherish. Then, Intermezzi II, by @Chyntuck is a return to her epic, boards classic Ἀνάγκη-verse! Even with just the first post, I'm already drawn into her rich cast of characters - both established and original - and the fully fledged world she has built around them. I already know that the rest of her Kessel Run isn't to be missed, and I can't wait to see what she has to share in the weeks to come!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, I was wondering the same thing; I want to say we did so last year but did just want to check! I just added a couple as well:

1. A fic by your favourite* author—Well, you all probably know by now that this is not the easiest category for me, as I have many favorites here at JCF Fanfic! But this time I’d like to give this slot to Once a Pirate, by my good friend @Raissa Baiard —her first fic of this year, and a rollicking fun adventure starring the one and only Hondo Ohnaka and a certain young green-haired, green-eared holdson of his!

5. A fic starring a non-human character—Such a Winter’s Day, by my good friend @Kahara. The first installment in her Kessel Run Series Zoochberry Cobbler, it not only stars a Sarkan protagonist but also features in a member of her own fanon species, the diminutive avian Elellumiwi!

ETA: And also:

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show—Overture of Reconciliation by @devilinthedetails . It's from the High Republic era, which I still unfortunately know nothing about, but the characters’ feelings and motivations were clear from start to finish, and it taught some important truths about balancing compassion and firmness when teaching.

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title—Pan and Teilo by @Briannakin. Well, technically that’s the title of the whole series of stories (the one I most recently reviewed was Fete Week Prince), but it is a title that sums up the focus of the whole series: the relationship between the Prince of Alderaan and his lovably fish-out-of-water courtier, both cool OCs created by Bri.

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective—Certainty by @vader_incarnate , for its absolutely bone-chilling viewpoint of Palpatine about to turn none other than Luke to the dark side.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm following our mods' lead and posting below the stories I already read and reviewed for this challenge -- it was something of a relief to see this thread moving again, the last time I updated my post above I had to go looking for it and I could see it sinking in the depths of Fanfic Resource, never to re-emerge.

I've got more stories to add already, but I want to post my reviews in the story threads first!

1. A fic by your favourite* author: The General's Wife by @divapilot – Judging by the comments, everyone and their mother have already read this story and I'm just late to the party, but if you haven't read it yet, get to it. It features a Solo family OC and General Hux, and it manages to be infuriating in one sentence, heartbreaking in the next and mushy-melty-gooey in the following one, and sometimes all of that at once. Fair warning though, if you read this, you'll also want to read the spin-offs, as well as an entire set of stories with the same OCs set in a different timeline. At any rate, it's stupendous work.

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try: Knightfall I: Sins of the Father by @JediMaster_Jen – I've had this on my reading list forever, and I finally got around to reading it. This is a rich, complex AU story that completely transforms the post-OT events and characters. So far it's all about people lying to and hiding things from each other, and I challenge anyone to not be curious about what happens next.

16. A fic whose title catches your attention: Skyclawer by @vader_incarnate – The title told me that this would be about the Skywalkers and cats. It is. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

21. A fic with a five-syllable title: Enter the Foreign by @ViariSkywalker – This is, simply put, a superlative story. It features Anakin Skywalker time-travelling to the LotJ/FotJ era and working together with his grandson Ben, all elements that normally wouldn't attract me so much to a fic – and yet, I binge-read it in less than a day because it is so captivating and well-written. I heartily recommend it to everyone.

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start: Reclamation by @Gabri_Jade – This is a Legends Rebellion-era AU that promises to be epic, and what is already posted is beautifully written. Gabri states in her opening note that she has 200 pages of it ready to go, and it's still a work-in progress, so... if you like ensemble cast L/M stories, join this reading club, it will keep you busy for the foreseeable future!

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am in.
    1. A fic by your favourite* author misson accomplished by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

"I've Got a Bad Feeling About This..." by Mistress_Renata, Ewok Poet, whiskers, Raissa Baiard, brodiew, Anedon, and RX_SITH. Round-robins Great. Just like the USJS

3. A short story/one shot: Allies by @UltramassiveUbersue – It is touching and full of grief for Luke after Mara's death. Will he pursue another relation as hinted in the story?

4. A fic whose chapters have titles the dawn of defiance gem of alderaan by @whiskers

5. A fic starring a non-human character children of the many paths by @Mechalich It has references to KotOR and has a great OC revealing more to Luke and his students of the EU

6. A challenge winner The Fair and the First Flame by @devilinthedetails

7. A fic recommended to you by someone else Greater than the Sum of His Parts by @divapilot recommended by @Chyntuck is a wonderful enjoyable story about Ghent, one of my favorite characters of the EU

8. A fic with exactly four words in the title tip of the iceberg by @pronker is a hilarious mixture of Penguins, Star Wars (the Force) and Star Trek TOS catching the old show perfectly

9. An intimidating fic you have avoided all that's unsung by @Mira_Jade

10. A fic with only canon characters10: The Cat, the Kylo and the Wardrobe by @gizkaspice Hilarious mix of the canon and legends with hints at other fandoms

11. A fic by a new^ author the final battle by @Darth Mortak is a fic with beautiful images and scenes that feels like a movie

12. A fic you’ve been meaning to try a profusion of palpatines by @Bel505 I never read that much comedy but this one is good

13. A fic that is outside your favourite time period/show With sky to spare by @amidalachick Being unfamiliar with the show (no access at all here) I can picture the characters from her descriptions

14. A fic with a great first line: I Ship It! by @Raissa Baiard – "the Force was bored" It created a masive AU and was funny

15. A fic whose main character is an OC intersections by @Thumper09 All the various OC used in the Kessel run, using all those prompts. Amazing

16. A fic whose title catches your attention Loss by @Vek Talis

17. A fic that started in the month of your birthday The Way of Things by @JediMaster_Jen

18. A fic you meant to read in 2022 . the next generation defenders of the outer rim by @Mira Grau It is a nice continuation of her other fics about the outer rim

19. A fic with love, kiss or hug in the title gifts of love by @Hopefulwriter

20. A fic that states a relationship in the title sweet disclosure by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha lovely just as all her stories about Luke and Mara

21. A fic with a five-syllable titlebudding archivist by @devilinthedetails

22. A fic with an 'author's note' at the start the fair and the first flame by @devilinthedetails touching and knowing what will happen to Cliegg after Shmi comes into his life

23. A fic that's written from a villain's perspective dark chasm by @Starith Darth Vader is the main villain who has Luke in his grasp in this beautifully drawn fan-comic

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023