main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2023 Box Office Blood Barbie

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2022.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't bad back in 2012- the 3D wasn't particularly insane (but I also didn't get a chance to see it in IMAX 3D, so I was stuck with Dolby) but for scenes where the water is at camera-level you get a great sense of environmental depth. And the grander staircase/ballroom-type shots and grander, shots of the ship get a sense of place as well. This new version is supposed to have an HFR conversion, though, so I'm cautious of how that may ruin the experience. But a new remaster in HDR 4K beyond the original 4K remaster from 2012, so I suspect the visuals will at least compensate for any motion issues.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As of Wed, Avatar: The Way of Water has passed Spider-Man: No Way Home on the All-Time Worldwide chart.

A2: $930.1m over $1b
    NWH: $921.9m over $1b

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    it's place near the top of the global list is secure, just remains to be seen how deep into the U.S. domestic top 10 it can get. It will have a fairly significant drop this weekend coming off the holiday, but M3GAN is the only other film out with any kind of buzz/cultural impact right now. I mean arguably M3GAN is having a bigger 15 minutes of cultural identity than Avatar at the moment, though its earnings are miniscule in comparison. It will of course earn 10 times its production budget - the perennial box office magic of low budget horror.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, any drops it has this week or next won't really shake things up much. First week of Feb has the next real challenger with Knock at the Cabin, followed by Titanic and Magic Mike 3 for Valentines Day. Then Ant-Man definitely takes the top slot the following weekend.

So it won't hold the top slot for more than 4 more weekends, likely only 2- though I can see it edging out Knock, depending on how that is received. If that happens, the only way it gets to 4 weekends is if MM3 & Titanic cannibalize each other by thinning out the romance genre/date crowd enough for A2 to take the top slot.

5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    At least one ticket's worth from me.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Avatar 2 in North America seems to be in the 50% weekend drop rate now, it'll be interesting to see where it hangs out for last 2 weeks of February. The loss of premium screens will probably have a significant dent

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    But that doesn’t really need to happen for nearly a month. Is there anything to lose premium screens to before Antman?

8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Knock at the Cabin is getting a Dolby release so it'll lose those PLF screens. It'll still have IMAX until Antman though most likely.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is The Way of Water going to make $700 million?

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Who cares, we're getting the sequels. Does the box office really matter beyond that point? As far as I'm aware, I don't think the money is going into my pockets.

All this talk about "lack of cultural impact" but I think a lot of that too is that the people that actually like the movie just have their own circles where they actually talk about the movie 'cause open forums like this or Twitter or whatever always descend into banal rambling about BO returns or questioning the cultural footprint (or lack thereof) of a movie that's clearly bringing people back over and over again into theaters for repeat viewings.

A stray observation – the majority of massive Avatar fans I know are also not people that are going to dedicate themselves to a fandom/fansite/whatever for one particular brand/franchise for an extended period of time, the way a lot of Star Wars and MCU fans on the whole tend to. Call that a lack of "cultural impact" if you will, but really, it's just a matter of people loving movies on the whole, Avatar and its sequels among them, without dedicating entire online personas purely to one thing that they love.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is literally the only thread where you shouldn’t be complaining about box office speculation my guy. Don’t make me post the dead dove clip. :p

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Oops, thought I was still in the Avatar thread, since that thread's been annoyingly wrapped up in the BO/cultural impact discussion circles for weeks now. My bad. Pretend my sentiment was posted there instead. [face_laugh]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thursday Actual for A2: $2m (well, a smidge under, but I round to the nearest hundred-thousand).

D: $578.3m
    WW: $952.7m over $1b

So, going into the weekend, it now sits less than $99.2m from surpassing Infinity War to take #5 on the All-Time WW chart. However, the current total, at the end of its 5th week, is now pacing only 10.65% ahead of A1. At the current rate of decline, it looks like it can stay ahead of A1 for at least 3 more weeks, probably 4-5.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The first Avatar had I think 80 consecutive $1 million + days (and many more million plus weekend days thereafter).

It's a different ballgame since Avatar 2 made a lot more money up front, but it should get 44 consecutive $1 million + days.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm just curious to see where that threshold ends up being, which is why I'm tracking the numbers so closely. I set the file up for about 50 days as a nice point of comparison because I figured after that you're just looking at those $1m days for a stretch, so it becomes more important to track things on a weekly basis at that point, rather than the minuscule daily changes that aren't likely to affect ranking placements. It also brings us right up to Ant-Man, so there's a nice cut-off point there where we know any meaningful movement can occur.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Heh, yeah, I'm going opening night. I have no expectations, but the short story it's based on is good.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Avatar: The Way of Water has crossed the $2 billion mark at the global box office in a huge win for director James Cameron, who is the only filmmaker to have directed three films achieving the milestone.

Disney announced Sunday that the big-budget sequel will finish the weekend with a global total of $2.024 billion, the top gross of the pandemic era. It has earned $598 million domestically and $1.426 billion overseas, including a hefty $230 million from China.
    If it's at those numbers, it's about $10m away from topping The Incredibles 2 domestically to take the #12 slot. And about $28m away from topping Infinity War worldwide to break into the Top 5.

And, going by an approximation as the charts haven't been fully updated in a couple years on BOM, this would also mean that A2 has killed Bambi to take the 57th spot on the All-Time Domestic Adjusted For Inflation chart. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Impressive for Cameron. I wouldn’t be shocked if at least one more avatar movie cracks 2 billion.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Neither would I- that seems to be the new bar for ultra-blockbuster performance. Franchise films gotta break a billion. Franchise films that break $1.5b have performed well. Peak entries in the biggest franchises have to hit $2b (or near it) to have met expectations at this point.

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If Ava2ar makes $17 million this Monday-Sunday it will only be $5 million behind The Last Jedi's domestic total and about $28 million behind Avengers for the 10th spot.

It could still edge out Jurassic World/Titanic, but more or less that's where it will stay pending rereleases or until it is bumped by whatever. Domestically, just in the last 5 years 4 movies have done better, and it's not going to be the biggest movie of 2022.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's going to make another $15m domestic at least next weekend alone, thanks to the holiday on Monday. Possibly very close to the $20m-ish from this past weekend. Then I suspect it'll drop to $10-15m when Knock opens the following weekend. And stay around there for Valentine's Day Weekend (i think we're gonna see a much ore even split across the box office that weekend between the top 5 films, though Titanic and MM3 may have an advantage there). So, $35-40m guaranteed before AM3 hits, plus weekday pulls for domestic. Then it hits the AM3 wall for its final test heading into the tortoise races.

23. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Another interesting box office milestone that Way of Water has all but achieved: Six consecutive weeks as the #1 movie.

What was the last film to achieve this? Avatar 1

And looking back further, the last one to do it before Avatar 1? A certain story about a giant ship vs a giant ice cube . . .

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Do you like own stock in James Cameron or something? Are you long JCAM?

25. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Um, no. I believe this is a place for discussing movies’ box office performance . . .