main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    "Loaded" how? I wasn't offending you, simply happen to interpret Anakin's words and actions in a different way.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Really? With the exception of the depiction of some Force powers, I think the Jedi Knight cinematics were in line with what we'd seen in the OT. And some of the new things, like the Valley of the Jedi, match up pretty well with things we later saw in TCW.

3. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Ventress is a boring villain, both in old multimedia project and in TCW.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  5. VergeresTears

VergeresTears Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2023
    I was born in '94 and so I probably grew up alternating between the original 1983 version and the '97 special edition... I have always preferred Yub Nub over Victory Celebration. It just works for me.

CT-867-5309 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Owen Lars was brought up in the underrated characters thread which got me thinking. Looking back, I wish he would have gotten a slightly bigger supporting role in the Prequels. It would have been nice to see how the Clone Wars directly affected the lives of regular everyday people, perhaps setting up Owen's bitter attitude toward the Jedi and the Luke's desire for adventure in ANH.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I like to think that, when the pressures of both war & government were too much to bear, Ani & Padme would visit Owen & Beru occasionally. I think they'd get along pretty well, since the farmers pretty much have no connection to the conflict, so Ani & Padme can talk to them openly, letting down their guard. Hearing about the pressure they were under would give Owen an understandable desire to shield his nephew from that reality and keep him safe at home.

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I’m just coming to terms with the realization that Revenge of the Sith is the only one of the first six movies I don’t really enjoy watching. It has a few great moments in it, but it’s mostly kind of a chore.

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    it's the one that people call "the good one" in the PT. And I'm like....really?

- Anakin's sudden turn from "what have I done" to "ok, whatever you say sith dude" is too jarring
    - The whole Mustafar sequence too video game like (standing that close to a bonfire is enough to give you heat rash, let alone standing right on a river of lava)
    - Padme reduced to a weeping willow with no character...

I much prefer the previous two films personally.

10. VergeresTears

VergeresTears Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2023
    I've grown to like it much more in the years since, but it was admittedly my first experience of disappointment with a Star Wars movie. I was around 10 when it came out, and it was the first time the veil was lifted and I realised that the prequel movies were, at best, somewhat flawed lol. Up til that point I'd really enjoyed TPM and AOTC with a totally carefree, childish mindset. I always had a soft spot for TPM though, even all through that edgy conformist period of being kind of standoffish with the prequel movies. Nowadays I'm back to liking them, and Sith has become palatable enough for me that I have it tied with TPM for my favourite prequel. I'm totally aghast at anyone who would rank it alongside any of the original trilogy though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I feel like a lot of people simply embraced it with the mindset that dark=good. It was kind of the anti-TPM after all, which had been somewhat ironically rejected for being too kid-friendly.

I’m mostly ok with Anakin’s turn. Lucas wove it pretty well throughout the tapestry of the PT, although it probably could have withstood another layer or two of complexity or nuance.

I have to agree. For me it’s too much spectacle for such an emotionally charged duel, when the environment alone provided ample atmosphere already.

Sadly too much of her character ended up on the cutting room floor throughout the trilogy, but in Revenge of the Sith in particular I do think it really kind of did her a disservice

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    THIS. My first reaction after reading the novel* was, “Anakin, you ****ing moron.” My next was, Padme, WTF happened and where did you leave your spine?

*I did not see the movie right away for a myriad of reasons that ultimately came down to “I had just given birth.” Which is another reason I cannot buy into attempts to justify Padme’s behavior with “…but she was pregnant.”

13. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    LOL, I guess fair response but seems nitpicky. I think the visuals were good but not great but I really love the particularly elemental planets Tatooine, Hoth, Kamino, Mustafar to a lesser extent, and the films have always been pretty fantasy.

Could have been better but I think she is still, in addition to improved chemistry with Anakin, pretty effective both reacting to and as part of the tragedy.

Saga_Symphony likes this.
  14. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I think it did have what I and a lot of people had been waiting for, in particular Palpatine owning the show, how he pretty much convincingly won, both appealing/winning over of Anakin and really wicked, also Anakin being more appealing than before, his dilemma being compelling and Lucas generally not backing down from him going really bad.

Saga_Symphony likes this.
  15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I liked Anakin's turn, the duel, and Padmé in RotS. They all make sense and serve the tone and purpose of the film.

Though if I were to pick one of those things that could've used more work, or be done differently, it would probably be the duel. Or at least the opening dialogue before the duel.

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Watching ANY Star Wars movie is kind of a chore.

Darth__Lobot and Mystery Roach like this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Ok I’ll admit that these days I have a lot of difficulty staying with the story when I watch them. It becomes almost a total sensory experience. Often I have to get through them all once before I’m dialed in enough to watch them again and stay engaged.

I was probably a bit too dismissive in how I expressed that. Lucas definitely delivered on the promise of the previous prequels in abstract terms. I just find the whole build up to his turn in Revenge of the Sith to be such a slog to get through. So I guess I take back what I said about it being handled well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I disagree with it being a chore. SW and ESB have both aged gracefully, especially SW.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I’ve actually found myself thinking at times lately that I’d be fine with there never having been any sequels to the original film; for instance in some ways they all serve to dilute the whole fairy tale aspect of it, with all its talk of knights, princesses, wizards, and sorcerers. I know that stuff never really went away, but it was never as potent again as it was in that initial singular experience.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

I don't get that.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    These days, I usually don't have the patience to sit through a movie I've seen before, unless I have company - and I've seen these ones more times than I can count.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Episodes I and II are the only Star Wars films I can watch any and every time. I appreciate some other installments too but for those I have to be in the right mood.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm the opposite of that; TPM and AOTC are the hardest to get through for me, but once I get to ROTS, I'm all in, and the rest of the films is easy watching.

That being said, I still enjoy TPM and AOTC, I just enjoy the other movies more.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don’t enjoy Rogue One or TFA. Their release window is the low point of my fandom.

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I’ve noticed Rogue One seems to be thought of more highly than the other Disney films by a lot of people around here, and I get why, but it really doesn’t do anything for me either. I mainly see it as an uncanny companion to A New Hope that detracts from it more than it adds to it.

That said, at least the continuity errors are minor and the retcons don’t prevent me from taking it seriously.